The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 18, 2022, 10:09:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brass Goggles is not currently accepting donations. If you have set up an automatic donation at PayPal, please cancel it immediately, as the funds will no longer reach us.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X-59 STARHAMMER Ray Gun (new paint, new pics)  (Read 10185 times)
Uriah
« on: June 10, 2008, 04:43:05 am »

Introducing: the X-59 STARHAMMER Ray Gun, the latest in molecular disrupters for the discerning spacefarer.

Had a couple requests for images of the new paint job.  The old was fine but I didn't feel it was as antiqued enough.  the goal was to have an industrial, natural looking patina.  The original paint work was a flat black spray, followed by a flat aluminum dry brush by hand and then a wash of umber brown to finish it off.  This time I went with an umber brown base coat with a mixture of brown and aluminum for the dry brush.  The result is a more subtle and natural aged look.  Also added a couple knobs to cover some holes I drilled (I had filled some hollow cavities with BBs to give th gun more weight and wanted to completely fill any left over void with spray foam to avoid rattling).  The STARHAMMER weighs 2 pounds 6 ounces even.

(New paint)

(Original post)
Inspired by Weta’s awesome ray guns but unable to afford one due to skyrocketing fuel prices, I set out to build my own scavenged/found-parts sidearm.  The STARHAMMER is the product of multiple trips to local hardware and craft stores and about 30 hrs of garage engineering.  The design is original but owes a lot to Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, the Steampunk movement and of course the brilliant Greg Broadmore.  I tried to modify the existing parts to elaborate and disguise them but if  you look hard enough, you can identify the original parts used (which is fine).  I’ve always been fascinated with how the props in the original Star Wars films were built from existing items they cobbled together – so I guess you could ad those props to the pile of inspirational sources.  As time and parts permit, I hope to build more ray guns before the imminent invasion.

Hope this first attempt at Steampunk art hits the mark.

(Original Paint)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 03:21:02 pm by Uriah » Logged
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:46:12 am »

Quite exceptional work, sir Smiley

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:48:16 am »

You hit the mark and shattered it. That is what I call an entrance!
She is beautiful, and attention to detail is incredible. I am sorry for resulting to profanity, but all I can say is phucking phantastic!

You wouldn't happen to have any in progress pictures? I would love to see each item.

And lastly, welcome to this here forum, it appears you will fit right in!

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
flimflam
Officer

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 06:24:45 am »

pew pew Grin Grin

hola senoro
Commander Obadiah
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

Gatherer of Misguided Inventions

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 09:07:21 am »

Darth Saber, you have met your match. Damn, now I've got to replace DS as my arch-nemesis on all the legal documents. I'm beyond impressed.

Commander C. Obadiah

The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'
Hieronimous Stonebender
Snr. Officer
Denmark Denmark

Architect of Fortune

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 09:47:45 am »

Truly amazing. The bar has been set at a level that will require breathing apparatus to pass. I'll go have a cry now, I'm getting all emotional... Thank you for sharing...
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 10:25:22 am »

What a beauty!

akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 10:39:07 am »

Aye, I'm no fan of rayguns, bit this contraption does seem extremely well-made. Definitely among the best I have seen lately! Good job!
Byron Cogsmith
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 10:58:41 am »

That looks totally brilliant, you can see the hours that have obviously gone in to making it. It's totally aspirational too, I'm building a rifle at the minute and if it comes out looking half as cool as that I will be stoked.

I stalk the night, and the night can't get a restraining order............
Bolshevik Simian
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

Dapper Cats

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 11:30:37 am »

I very much like the Projection end of it, Me thinks it would make a nice Zap.

Well done.

When I joined up we were still fighting colonial wars. If you saw someone in a skirt you shot him and nicked his country.

"Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing."

Get all your Goggle needs here New Goggles
BrethrenAndBetrayer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 12:46:46 pm »

Very well done! If this is your first I cannot wait for your second!
Also, welcome to the forum! Smiley

You know its gonna be a good session when the tech priest rides into battle on the back of a gun-servitor.

There is an extra gear in The Great Machine of the cosmos tonight.
In memory of Richard 'Datamancer' Nagy - 2013
Uriah
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 04:49:05 pm »

Thank you for the unmerited accolades.  The STARHAMMER was a labor of love.  I must look into the work of Darth Saber and Commander Obadiah to review their delicate instruments of mass destruction.

A question for my fellow steam- device developers:  how do you display your ray guns?  Have you found existing displays or have you had better luck fabricating your own?  The odd shape of the STARHAMMER may dictate that I pursue the latter.  Any thoughts would be welcome and appreciated.

akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »

I like the stand you have for it now. You could elaborate on the theme by sticking to the industrial, mechanical, and cobbled-together look..
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 05:00:33 pm »

I would personally mount WMD like a hunting trophy on a wall, with a few brackets supporting the gun backed with an aged piece of wood. Then, when the invasion starts, simply lift out of its mount, and charge her up!

For reference, here is Darth Saber's Work in Progress thread: http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=4133.0

and have a look at Mechanical Craniums lovely beast here: http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=6316.0

Unfortunately, I cannot find our good Commander's world renowned matter-obliterator, as he has SO MANY FRICKEN POSTS TO SIFT THROUGH! Sorry bought that Cheesy
Rick
Officer

C.O.B!

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 05:26:26 pm »

Beautiful. And now you're obligated! to post work-in-progress pics of howyadunit!

That is the curse of excellence here. For examples of true excellence and true curse see the steampunk space helmet thread:)

TRD Jay Theophilus
Officer

Fear in a handful of dust.

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 05:29:41 pm »

That is truly amazing!  Now I don't want to post mine...  Undecided

Yes, I really am a Reverend Doctor, and yes, that is my real name.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 05:34:46 pm »

That is truly amazing!  Now I don't want to post mine...  Undecided
Don't be silly, go ahead! After all, you are one step ahead of me Cheesy
And lets face it, by receiving criticism you can get better a lot faster. And plus you have gotten me all curious!
TRD Jay Theophilus
Officer

Fear in a handful of dust.

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 07:03:52 pm »

Don't be silly, go ahead! After all, you are one step ahead of me Cheesy
And lets face it, by receiving criticism you can get better a lot faster. And plus you have gotten me all curious!

Done and done.
Great Bizarro
Snr. Officer

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 08:02:29 pm »

Very nice. Me I would have added a cloth covered electrical cord to the socket, but then I am just a bit Bizarre.

"No matter where you go, there you are"
Cornelius Sagan
Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 09:49:07 pm »

Congratulations on the piece.
You could include the construction process...

J.F.Dawson
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

Alternative Popcultural Archæologist

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 10:05:33 pm »

Whoa, Mr. Uriah, that is one interesting design for a gun! I especially like the two pointy, uhm,... converter...focussing -things at the muzzle. Somehow they remind me of the technique used in the anti-asteroid laser aboard the Empires first Orbital Habitat Station...  Wink

Hmm, I have to admit, I do not recognize any of the parts you used. But then, I have never held one of these so called NERF guns in my hand, nor do I know all of their variations.  Undecided
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:07:58 pm by J.F.Dawson » Logged

'To Bring Light Into Darkness'
Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 10:09:26 pm »

Well, NOW we know where the latest shipment of Awesome Sauce vanished to...

The mark, sir, has been hit, shattered and raised. Do you have any history of building props?
Lady Penelope
Zeppelin Admiral

Aiming to misbehave

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 10:10:50 pm »

Quite the lovely piece of design.  I'm not sure how one would holster such a gun, but I certainly wouldn't want to meet one pointing my way.   Grin

HildeKitten
Deck Hand
Belgium Belgium

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 10:13:53 pm »

That looks fantastic!
Talyn
Gunner
Gravatar

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 11:57:43 pm »

would love to see some pics of this in progress or before painting, to see all the separate parts breakdown Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: