The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 22, 2019, 02:48:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Middle East Meetup (in Peoples Republic of Cambridge)  (Read 1606 times)
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

Werebears RULE!

« on: June 08, 2008, 12:29:02 am »

I'm surprised no one has noted it here yet, but approximately a dozen Massachusetts steampunks met for a drink in Cambridge's Middle East Restaurant Friday night.

The meetup (or boozeup) was scheduled for 6:00 PM. Your reporter arrived shortly thereafter and scoped out the place, not spotting any obvious candidates. He stepped outside to wait, but, not observing anyone likely entering, he finally re-entered and spoke to the barkeep, who suggested trying the *other* Middle East bar (this venue has a most peculiar arrangement: a bar/restaurant on the corner, and apparently unrelated restaurant next door, and next door to *that* yet another bar/restaurant. In addition to which, there is a basement nightclub space (which this reporter has never attended, being neither a rock fan nor affluent enough to pay for a brace of tickets).

So "Meet me at the Middle East" is ambiguous at best. However, we had specific directions to convene at the second location noted above.

Your intrepid did check out the corner pub, just to be thorough (the basement wasn't open yet, and in any case would have involved a hefty cover charge to get in; and from what I have heard, attempts at conversation would be futile there). No luck, of course.

Back, then, to the midblock spot. Peering through windows. Hm. Well, give it a few more minutes, as I was aware some participants would be arriving late. Unfortunately, I only actually knew what one of them looked like, having met The Great von Slatt on an earlier occasion.

After a short time, an individual emerged from the pub and approached your reporter, asking if I was looking for the Steampunks.

Finally, mystery solved. As we approached the table (there is only one, though many booths), another gentleman arose from somewhere in back and joined us - so I wasn't the only one perplexed!

Almost immediately, more folks showed up, and we all sat down and ordered, and began to converse. After this, more people arrived at intervals, some left. Having promised to be home by 9:00, I left with what should have been but wasn't sufficient time to get there on time. Curse the number 1 bus!

I believe a good time was had by all. I shall leave it for other participants to fill in details.

Respectfully submitted, etc. ...

** Oh, and I was surprised it took so long to spot me, as I was wearing a bowler and a pocketwatch!

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
PKM
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Oneironaut, Clacker, Maker and Fanboy

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 02:36:36 pm »

Curses, I thought by "Middle East" you were jokingly referring to East Anglia, ie Cambridgeshire.  Cambridge, MA is too far for me Sad

That said, if there are any Cambridge, Cambridgeshire steamers around (which there must be, it's that sort of place) then perhaps there should be a UK Cambridge meet-up?

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Ex nihilo nihil fit, except maybe quarks
Tristian Dreyman
Zeppelin Captain

Inventor, tinkerer, and mechanical artist.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:33:36 pm »

Agreed! Much easier to get to than london, for me, at any rate. Plus there's some lovely architecture, and I am a bit of a architecturophile.

And yes that is a real word, because I SAY SO!

"What's that?"
"Hmm? Oh a mechanical lobster."
"Why?"
"Why not?"

OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 09:19:28 pm »

We should have a Cambridge-Cambridge telectroscope - one with sound. That would be some meetup!

PKM
Gunner

Oneironaut, Clacker, Maker and Fanboy

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 09:31:24 pm »

We should have a Cambridge-Cambridge telectroscope - one with sound. That would be some meetup!

Well I know the people at my Cambridge would be completely up for that- perhaps we should suggest it to the relevant universities and get them to set undergraduate projects on it Smiley I'm sure there's plenty of meaty network protocol stuff to get your teeth into in a project like that.

Or, y'know, a webcam and Skype.  Either way.

Agreed! Much easier to get to than london, for me, at any rate. Plus there's some lovely architecture, and I am a bit of a architecturophile.

Well, it's May Week coming up, and I'm sure no-one would notice a few extra people in eccentric dress wandering around the place.  We've sadly missed the beer festival, though...
BaronWR
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:57:44 am »

*Unlurks* Hear Hear! (although it'd have to be pretty damn soon, I'm fleeing to London shortly) *Goes back to Lurking*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: