Author Topic: TOP STEAMPUNK MOTION PICTURES  (Read 247777 times)

Sir Robert

• Officer
Re: TOP STEAMPUNK MOTION PICTURES
« Reply #300 on: September 05, 2009, 03:28:24 am »
City of Ember, very Steamy!
Sir Robert, Soldier, Gentleman Adventurer, all around nice guy.

Joozey

• Snr. Officer
  • It's a clockwork universe...
« Reply #301 on: September 13, 2009, 11:01:27 pm »
I've been watchin The Prestige tonight.
A truly wonderful movie. I loved it.
Engineer J. Fairbeard, Civil Engineer
Designer of the H.M.S. Mercuria

Kylara Kenshea

• Gunner
    • Galleries
« Reply #302 on: September 23, 2009, 06:46:57 pm »
I am shocked to note that no one (I read all 13 pages, I checked!) has mentioned the newest rendition of Around the World in 80 Days (2004).
Its original in 1958 was somewhat less period with the garb, I believe, but still quite charming.

Honorable mention, the film presentation of Phantom of the Opera (the phantom himself was extremely inventive).

I'd also like to note (as a far-too-adult fan of Disney) that Beauty and the Beast is fairly steampunk (at least, her father is). In some ways, Kiki's Delivery Service is as well.
I am Kylara Kenshea, Captain of the good ship Mórríghan,
Leader of the AeroNauts Vividis NeoSteam (AVNS, pronounced "Avians") -
A Subsidary of the Collateral Damage Adventuring Guild (CDAG).

No treasure is too elusive, no steam too hot for our crew.

Rockula

• Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
  • Nothing beats a good hat.
« Reply #303 on: September 24, 2009, 06:42:01 pm »
Sorry if it's already been mentioned but Kazuaki Kiriya's 'Casshern' is one of my favourites.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

dr490nw4rri0r

• Officer
  • Are we evolving? No. We're starting to learn again
« Reply #304 on: September 26, 2009, 12:30:43 am »
I mentioned Casshern ^_^.
It's concievably one of my favorite films ever from an aesthetic standpoint.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Armored Rah

« Reply #305 on: October 08, 2009, 05:10:17 am »
Casshern was an anime before it was a movie and it was much better as an anime, but on to more important things.. 13 Ghosts. The house, brass and glass clockwork with occult properties, now that's just cool. The movie wasn't that great though, but it was ok.

Rocketeer and Roll

• Gunner
« Reply #306 on: October 08, 2009, 09:46:14 am »
I have scanned this thread and found absolutely no mention of this so I'm going to gush about it here.

For those of you who are not Lovecraft fans, there is a huge following, and many themes cross over into steampunk ones.  Take for example the wonderful indie film done entirely in the silent genre, "The Call of Cthulhu"

Trailer - The call of Cthulhu movie

The special features of the DVD are really fascinating to me because they did this film exactly as you would put together a film made in the 20s...truly remarkable amounts of love and work went into this re-creation of a long gone film technique.

Rockula

• Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
  • Nothing beats a good hat.
« Reply #307 on: October 08, 2009, 11:04:28 am »
I have scanned this thread and found absolutely no mention of this so I'm going to gush about it here.

For those of you who are not Lovecraft fans, there is a huge following, and many themes cross over into steampunk ones.  Take for example the wonderful indie film done entirely in the silent genre, "The Call of Cthulhu"

Trailer - The call of Cthulhu movie

The special features of the DVD are really fascinating to me because they did this film exactly as you would put together a film made in the 20s...truly remarkable amounts of love and work went into this re-creation of a long gone film technique.
This looks fascinating. I think I'm going to have to hunt it down. I assume it's on DVD somewhere?
 Edit....
Found it.  8)
http://www.cthulhulives.org/store/store.lasso?1=product&2=8
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 11:07:28 am by Rockula »

Dax Grey

• Deck Hand
« Reply #308 on: October 10, 2009, 12:02:13 am »
Not sure if its been mentioned but Mutant Chronicles if you watch the whole thing is steampunk themed.  Not really Victorian but WW1 or WW2 era clothes with odd weapons.  Oh and did I mention the they have a hoveringflying vehicle that is powered by steam in the movie also.  I thought it was pretty good.  Thought I would share.

Mutant Chronicles Official Trailer
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:05:00 am by Dax Grey »

Armydillo978

• Officer
    • Exploading Goat Games
« Reply #309 on: October 10, 2009, 01:26:18 am »
Not sure if its been mentioned but Mutant Chronicles if you watch the whole thing is steampunk themed.  Not really Victorian but WW1 or WW2 era clothes with odd weapons.  Oh and did I mention the they have a hoveringflying vehicle that is powered by steam in the movie also.  I thought it was pretty good.  Thought I would share.

Agreed.  This movie has taken A LOT of negative abuse during GenCon, but I liked it. It certainly has SP elements.  It's not an awesome movie, but it's not crap either.  It's good PULP, but average Ameri-trash movie and for mindless entertainment, it fills the niche.  I liked it.   Though, to really understand the movie, the novel to the movie fills in gaps that the movie couldn't, or didn't, cover.   It's a B/C grade movie and I liked it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 01:32:24 am by Armydillo978 »
----------------------
"Sometimes you roll the dice and come up with craps."

Dax Grey

• Deck Hand
« Reply #310 on: October 10, 2009, 04:42:07 pm »

Agreed.  This movie has taken A LOT of negative abuse during GenCon, but I liked it. It certainly has SP elements.  It's not an awesome movie, but it's not crap either.  It's good PULP, but average Ameri-trash movie and for mindless entertainment, it fills the niche.  I liked it.   Though, to really understand the movie, the novel to the movie fills in gaps that the movie couldn't, or didn't, cover.   It's a B/C grade movie and I liked it.

Yeah I liked that it seemed fairly low budget yet they had to virtually create a whole new world.  That can't be easy.  I mean from the guns, to the clothes, vehicles, everything they had to create. 

darkeyes

• Snr. Officer
    • MySpace page (for anyone that still uses it ;-))
« Reply #311 on: October 10, 2009, 10:17:51 pm »
The Tokyo Gore Police isn’t steampunk, but the police uniforms would fit well in a steampunk world.  Complete with red monocles!

Atterton

• Time Traveler
  • Only The Shadow knows
« Reply #312 on: October 10, 2009, 10:44:27 pm »
That just looks terrible.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

darkeyes

• Snr. Officer
    • MySpace page (for anyone that still uses it ;-))
« Reply #313 on: October 10, 2009, 11:20:54 pm »

You should see the movie!   ;D

Actually, for the type of movie it is, it was fun to watch.

Dax Grey

• Deck Hand
« Reply #314 on: October 15, 2009, 05:49:13 pm »

Huh yeah I tried watching that.... at work.  Lets just say some curious eyes glanced over right at the Brothel part...ugh.. now everyone thinks I'm strange...

Armydillo978

• Officer
    • Exploading Goat Games
« Reply #315 on: October 16, 2009, 03:08:15 am »

Huh yeah I tried watching that.... at work.  Lets just say some curious eyes glanced over right at the Brothel part...ugh.. now everyone thinks I'm strange...

To be a sheep...like the others....or a wolf...different and possibly dangerous.

It's better to be the wolf.....and keep the others guessing. 

Mikeymoo

• Swab
« Reply #316 on: October 20, 2009, 09:26:52 pm »
Hai, i'm kinda new to all of this steampunk , but ive just seen the film '9' and thought it was awesome, i just really like the visual style to the film which lead to find out about steampunk, which im glad i did  :) 

Gazongola

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • I am the flashing monocle.
« Reply #317 on: October 20, 2009, 09:28:53 pm »
Hai, i'm kinda new to all of this steampunk , but ive just seen the film '9' and thought it was awesome, i just really like the visual style to the film which lead to find out about steampunk, which im glad i did  :) 

How? It's not out till the 28th...

Capt. Dirigible

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.
« Reply #318 on: October 20, 2009, 09:40:52 pm »

Could have been a special preview... or a pirate DVD
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Gazongola

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #319 on: October 20, 2009, 09:48:48 pm »

Could have been a special preview... or a pirate DVD

Indeed... Personally if I indulge in pirating, I wait till the DVD release. Far better quality. Not that I would do such a thing... :D

Mikeymoo

• Swab
« Reply #320 on: October 21, 2009, 12:03:21 am »
yeah i was slighty naughty and watch a pirated copy but it was a DVD rip so it was good quality, none of that shaky camera wrk in the cinema. Bt i am gonna watch it again wen it comes out in cinemas i jst really wanted to see it now, hehe

Gazongola

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #321 on: October 21, 2009, 11:59:20 pm »
He he. No doubt that I will end up organising a trip to see it down here in Birmingham.

Thaumaturgical Nuissance

• Snr. Officer
  • I follow rule #29 at all times and in all things.
« Reply #322 on: October 22, 2009, 12:55:24 am »
HAH!
It came out across the waters quite some time ago.  :D
I went to see it opening night here, and really wasn't disappointed. The end is a little queer but better than the closure you get with a lot of modern movies.

Mikeymoo

• Swab
« Reply #323 on: October 22, 2009, 04:17:00 pm »
yeah i kno wat u mean, bt i liked it, thought it fitting for the story, '9' along with District 9 are definitely my favourite movies this year. Much better than the messy transformers sequel, hehe

James Harrison

• Immortal
  • Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences
« Reply #324 on: October 22, 2009, 04:20:59 pm »
He he. No doubt that I will end up organising a trip to see it down here in Birmingham.

Make it a weekend and I'll endeavour to attend....

Just realised I've inadvertently created a bit of poetry there...
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.