The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 10, 2019, 03:26:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 286265 times)
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

i´m the terror of the skies but a danger to myself

http://twitter.com/PockyN
« Reply #900 on: September 08, 2010, 01:43:01 pm »

well sometimes you find really good stuff in those disgusting shops (like new yorkers, H&M, aso.) they have cheap vintage clothing there (and i dont give a whoops if everyone wears the same blouse as i or somewhat) Smiley
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:01:59 pm by Sir Nikolas Vendigroth » Logged

Stella Aberwitz
Snr. Officer
Liechtenstein Liechtenstein

« Reply #901 on: September 08, 2010, 07:29:54 pm »

Language, young lady, language! Shocked

(just kidding)
Mister-Sam
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

sam_shearon
« Reply #902 on: September 10, 2010, 03:42:44 pm »

Exciting news!

I recently obtained a huge quantity of antique watch parts from a local market and am in the process of creating a new sculpture with them...

This in itself will be for sale eventually as well as photograph prints of the work itself.
It is set to be a rather large peice.

In the meantime, do have a look at my other work.

suggest 'this' LIKE page to ALL your friends & repost on your walls:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mister-Sam/109017416534?v=wall&viewas=0

Camera Obscura
Officer
United States United States

Latin: Camera = “room” - Obscura = “dark"

« Reply #903 on: September 12, 2010, 01:46:04 am »

If I might substitute "thrift shop" for "flea market" I had a great week. We call my sister the Thrift Store Queen. She has bought Morecroft vases and Wallace Nutting prints for a couple of dollars. She took us on a thrift store crawl and I snagged a floor length kaki duster and a brass bound leather box. The duster was trimmed to be my airship navigator costume and with the addition of a leather belt the box became a very steamy purse. I am ready for another trip!

----------------------------------------------------------------
“The illiterate of the future will be the person ignorant of the use of the camera as well as of the pen.”
      Maholy-Nagy, Vision in Motion, 1947
Professor Nikademus
Deck Hand

« Reply #904 on: September 12, 2010, 02:29:23 pm »

Here is what I found for my next project.

Can't believe it, they are such good quality and from Africa I am told by the seller.  Grin

Going to make great accessories for my 'Warehouse 13' style monitor mod, and maybe a complimentary Case mod for my PC.

£8 a set so V. cheap me thinks. - 6 in total, but 2 handles are missing bits. I may be able to turn new end pieces that match. Smiley

Professor Nik.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:00:16 am by Professor Nikademus » Logged

http://www.victoriantypewriterkeyboards.co.uk - Tonight we're gonna type like its 1889!

“For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here's a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?”
Professor Nikademus
Deck Hand

« Reply #905 on: September 12, 2010, 02:31:19 pm »

Bugger - that did not work as I planned.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28061826@N04/4982762340/#

Try that one instead folks.

Professor Nik.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:00:45 am by Professor Nikademus » Logged
Combat Gerbil
Officer

Sweeney Todd

« Reply #906 on: September 12, 2010, 08:02:50 pm »

Three inexpensive pocket watches picked up at a local bootsale.. total spent...£10
Two are quartz movement sadly... but for the price.. they look reasonable.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
pewtersmith
Snr. Officer

« Reply #907 on: September 22, 2010, 04:43:54 pm »

That zeppelin could be very valuable. Isn't there a brand name to Google on?

This page says it's only treated to look old. Pity, but it wasn't particularly expensive.

It is a new reproduction of a Paya ( Spain ) toy from the '30s by Schylling ( http://www.schylling.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SD&Product_Code=TZ&Category_Code=TTCS ) made in China  $10 US
Z-Dan
Deck Hand

« Reply #908 on: September 23, 2010, 11:09:04 pm »

I completely forgot to upload this the other day when we got them, but these are our finds from a car boot sale in Norfolk:

The waistcoat was £1, the other two £10 each

Apologies for the terrible quality of photo, it's dark and my phone was about to run out of battery so had to be quick...

I am minuspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericabobulations.

Shameless self plug for a blog that's at least 1/3rd Steampunk: http://talestraversingtime.blogspot.com/
Jane_Faye
Deck Hand

« Reply #909 on: September 24, 2010, 11:24:43 pm »

*Gasp* Battleaxe! Well-dressed and well-armed: I congratulate you on your excellent finds Smiley

Apart from that..bah, thrift stores and charity shops are for amateurs! Cheesy It's not a true victory unless you whisked it off the side of the road in the nick of time before the binmen, found it lurking in the woods or had to dive into a skip-full of rubble for it!

(I'm only kidding, just so you know. Although just for the record, my partner and I have acquired, in each of the above ways, a highly decorative antique singer sewing machine, three beautiful coffee-tables, a fine vintage hat-stand, a church hymn board - which we now use to write each other curious messages - , two vintage packing-cases, a lamp-stand about to be incorporated into a computer monitor mod, and an attractive old vanity mirror. Really, I'm more surprised at what ISN'T to be found in a skip...Glasgow is peculiarly rich in junk that way).

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #910 on: September 25, 2010, 01:54:49 pm »

Can't put photos up yet - but I went to my first two Paris fle markets today and got -

- An 18th century pair of phoropters
- An antique pocket microscope in its box with tweezers and a slide - with a flea on it (so I bought an antique flea at an antique flea market)
- Old French newspapers
- An old cast glass cloche
- Bunch of old keys
- Old glass photo plates

Tomorrow we hit the really big flea market in the north of Paris

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Lord Jeffreys
Snr. Officer

« Reply #911 on: September 25, 2010, 07:58:40 pm »

An antique pocket microscope in its box with tweezers and a slide - with a flea on it (so I bought an antique flea at an antique flea market)
Beautiful! Cheesy
Scourch
Gunner

« Reply #912 on: September 27, 2010, 03:57:40 am »

So, yesterday I drove a total of something like 70 miles. From 9 in the morning to 2 in the afternoon, seeking out thrift stores and flea markets. Thrift stores I found (with nothing great) but flea markets... nothing. I had one left though, but it's only open on Sundays, from 7am to 4. So, this morning rolls around, I get up at 8 and head on over. Fortunately for me, it's only 10 minutes down the street. Upon reaching there, I now know why none of the other flea markets existed. They all merged into one mega-flea market called "The Pioneer Valley Flea Market" To say I felt like a fat kid in a cake shop would be a gross understatement. This.place.was.freaking.HUUUUGGEEE!

I mean, seriously. I had to devise a plan on how to cover the most amount of floor in the shortest amount of time, and it still took me an hour to cover everything. So many of you would have had a heart attack, I swear lol. Unfortunately I didn't have a ton of cash on me, and though there was A LOT there I wanted, because I know it'd be useful in some capacity, I don't have enough experience just yet in knowing exactly what I need to achieve a certain design or effect. But needless to say, I did pick up these two...

These three shots are of an old hard leather case, nice and worn with a just as worn pair of older binoculars.

And these are a old pair of military leather pouches. Not sure the year, but they seem pretty old and are very, very worn.

Both cost me only 20 bucks. Whenever I have extra cash, I want to go back for round 2. Seriously!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 03:59:20 am by Scourch » Logged
Miss Romwell
Snr. Officer

An aspidistra.

« Reply #913 on: September 28, 2010, 01:41:04 pm »

I am a very happy lady.

After a few weeks of total stuff drought in my favourite charity shops. I've had a bumper couple of weeks.

First I found an old, cased, thermometer-
(Yes, it is mercury, and will have to be stored with care, but shows how old it is.)

Then there was a big vintage art-glass brooch that turned out to be set in silver-
Not bad at all for £1.75!

Then there was a box of stained bone tiddlywinks with their original turned boxwood cup-
Judging by the typography on the box, this is an original, though slightly incomplete, set, from the initial tiddlywinks craze of the 1890s. Couldn't not buy it for £2.99, and I'm hoping I can find more bone winks to complete the set. If anyone has any kicking around, please let me know....

And finally, but pictureless, was a very vintage, 3-piece, Estate check (check over fine herringbone), tweed suit. Needs dry cleaning, but seems free of moth holes. Fits pretty well, and had the added 'advantage' of someone having messed about cack-handedly with the trouser waistband. Easily fixed, and means that I will feel no guilt in modifying the trousers, turning it into the tweed plus-four suit that I've been dreaming of for yonks.  Smiley

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 01:44:15 pm by Miss Romwell » Logged
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #914 on: September 28, 2010, 07:11:18 pm »

So, yesterday I drove a total of something like 70 miles. From 9 in the morning to 2 in the afternoon, seeking out thrift stores and flea markets. Thrift stores I found (with nothing great) but flea markets... nothing. I had one left though, but it's only open on Sundays, from 7am to 4. So, this morning rolls around, I get up at 8 and head on over. Fortunately for me, it's only 10 minutes down the street. Upon reaching there, I now know why none of the other flea markets existed. They all merged into one mega-flea market called "The Pioneer Valley Flea Market" To say I felt like a fat kid in a cake shop would be a gross understatement. This.place.was.freaking.HUUUUGGEEE!

I mean, seriously. I had to devise a plan on how to cover the most amount of floor in the shortest amount of time, and it still took me an hour to cover everything. So many of you would have had a heart attack, I swear lol. Unfortunately I didn't have a ton of cash on me, and though there was A LOT there I wanted, because I know it'd be useful in some capacity, I don't have enough experience just yet in knowing exactly what I need to achieve a certain design or effect. But needless to say, I did pick up these two...

These three shots are of an old hard leather case, nice and worn with a just as worn pair of older binoculars.

And these are a old pair of military leather pouches. Not sure the year, but they seem pretty old and are very, very worn.

Both cost me only 20 bucks. Whenever I have extra cash, I want to go back for round 2. Seriously!

The pouches look like they may be a G43 varient (German WWII) though I'm no expert; a decent looking item either way

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #915 on: September 28, 2010, 07:13:04 pm »

I am a very happy lady.

Then there was a big vintage art-glass brooch that turned out to be set in silver-
Not bad at all for £1.75!

£1.75!  Shocked that is a real bargain
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #916 on: September 29, 2010, 09:34:22 am »

Can't put photos up yet - but I went to my first two Paris fle markets today and got -

- An 18th century pair of phoropters
- An antique pocket microscope in its box with tweezers and a slide - with a flea on it (so I bought an antique flea at an antique flea market)
- Old French newspapers
- An old cast glass cloche
- Bunch of old keys
- Old glass photo plates

Tomorrow we hit the really big flea market in the north of Paris

A late update.

Back home now and unpacked. I have posted on my blog with photos from Paris.

We did go to the Marche de Puces and there was some amazing stuff - with equally amazing prices. For instance - a small handfull of five old broken brass lamp parts would have cost me thirty Euro. I can get the same parts for a dollar back here.

I did make another purchase from another small market - a mint condition pair of old phoropters (19th Century).

I also bought my wife some old embroidery thread and a small cloche at the same market. this market was in the Latin Quarter in rue Monge and is on once a month I believe, and the prices are about 1/4 of the Marche de Puces prices.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #917 on: September 29, 2010, 09:55:03 am »

Ah, I want the phoroptors so bad!

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Lord Jeffreys
Snr. Officer

« Reply #918 on: October 03, 2010, 07:08:44 am »

I needed a clock and found this for 2 bucks:
The wife found this for $7:
and this for $3:
and she found this fantastic little bell (not sure for how much):
Callidwyn
Officer

« Reply #919 on: October 05, 2010, 09:57:57 pm »

Well, not quite a flea market, but I found a nice (lad's) shirt at a swap the other day. Wore it for the first time today, and had a play with it when I get home-wearing it with a waistcoat, mini top hat and whilst drinking tea. That made me happy. I may have a bit more of a play at some point and take photographs.
The shirt itself is in good condition, black with white pinstripes.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« Reply #920 on: October 06, 2010, 07:53:19 am »

Last sunday I went to a proper indoor flea market and found a broken flintlock (which makes it my fourth one...) for a measily, single euro* Grin

It makes me a happy camper; from the looks of it, the 'crud' in the barrel, it has actually been fired more than once. The trigger mechanism and hammer are gone, but at the very least, it leaves me with a very nice grip.

I will post a photonic recording as soon as...well, as soon as I think of it Wink

*Which is actually half of what the man first asked Shocked
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 07:55:03 am by Torvald_Faust » Logged

Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #921 on: October 06, 2010, 11:23:35 pm »

No pictures, but my latest buys are an old, copper electric kettle from Walthamstow Market for £5 and a Yataghan style sword with a deeply chased/repousse metal winged handle from Brick Lane market for £20
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #922 on: October 07, 2010, 11:43:39 pm »

Last sunday I went to a proper indoor flea market and found a broken flintlock (which makes it my fourth one...) for a measily, single euro* Grin

It makes me a happy camper; from the looks of it, the 'crud' in the barrel, it has actually been fired more than once. The trigger mechanism and hammer are gone, but at the very least, it leaves me with a very nice grip.

I will post a photonic recording as soon as...well, as soon as I think of it Wink

Wow - we don't get broken flintlocks here at our flea markets - and I am searching everywhere for a timber stock for my next build.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #923 on: October 08, 2010, 12:10:49 am »

After the nasty authorities shut down the ancient "Paddy's Market" here, i wondered if the traders would ever resurface, so I was delighted to find that Betty Gavienas has taken a shop not far away and is selling old clothes as before.

I bought a straw boater, so I now have 4 straw hats, all of course totally unsuited to a Glasgow Autumn/winter/spring. But only £3 and looks sweet on, so I will hope for sunshine sometime.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« Reply #924 on: October 08, 2010, 12:31:08 am »

Wow - we don't get broken flintlocks here at our flea markets - and I am searching everywhere for a timber stock for my next build.
Truth to be told, I've seen a few whole ones, too Wink Most often they ask the motherload for it, but this was a really fine chance!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: