The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2019, 01:52:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 286445 times)
Stella Aberwitz
Snr. Officer
Liechtenstein Liechtenstein

« Reply #875 on: August 30, 2010, 05:41:18 pm »

That zeppelin could be very valuable. Isn't there a brand name to Google on?

This page says it's only treated to look old. Pity, but it wasn't particularly expensive.
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #876 on: August 30, 2010, 06:16:30 pm »

It still is a fun object. No matter what age or value. Smiley
Stella Aberwitz
Snr. Officer

« Reply #877 on: August 30, 2010, 06:54:59 pm »

Exactly. Smiley
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #878 on: August 30, 2010, 08:08:06 pm »

Today I went to the big flea market in Malvern and picked up a Christys' Homburg and a tobacco pipe.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

i´m the terror of the skies but a danger to myself

http://twitter.com/PockyN
« Reply #879 on: August 30, 2010, 08:34:18 pm »

Feeling quite pleased with today's haul.

Candle lamp and old oak stand (?) - 50p each
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Old Philips radio no case but apparently working - nice valves anyway. - £2

Old brass clock with proper mechanical movement. Corroded (or is that "distressed" !) - 50p

Little precision brass and steel cramp - I just can't resist old tooling and instruments - £4

Box of castors and escutcheons - mainly brass and mainly non-repro ! - £3

Old brass electric bell - £1

and lastly ......
I couldn't resist my bargain of the day .....

Brass Engine Room Telegraph - about 2 foot high - and works !!!! with a dinging bell inside ! - £3 !!!

wow! thats a bunch of awesome stuff and the prices!

i NEED to visit a flea market as soon as possible!!!

LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #880 on: August 30, 2010, 09:16:13 pm »

I wish I'd kept the composing stick and two drawers of type that were thrown away when I left highschool ... Sad

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

What Watt ?!

« Reply #881 on: August 31, 2010, 08:00:04 am »

I wish I'd kept the composing stick and two drawers of type that were thrown away when I left highschool ... Sad

I sympathise.
When I was at uni, the design dept chucked drawers full of type, cabinets full !
 Cry

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #882 on: August 31, 2010, 11:27:52 pm »

I sympathise.
When I was at uni, the design dept chucked drawers full of type, cabinets full !
 Cry

They even tossed out a complete, fully functional linotype machine Sad I LOVED that machine!
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #883 on: September 02, 2010, 01:41:11 am »

SACRILEGE! I am told, on good authority that the art school of the Norwich University in England, used to discard used type straight into the river Wensum. How many times have I fantasized recruiting the aid of a captain like Nemo ...

In the face of the creativity evident here, I hesitate to post such a trivial gesture, but below is my latest realization; at long last I have seized time to make a new base for the glass dome originally obtained with a shamelessly plastic (if very convincingly gilded) anniversary clock. Until further time and inspiration permits, it will only display a piece of tawdry halloween candy.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:47:36 am by Kittybriton » Logged

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
agent036
Gunner

« Reply #884 on: September 04, 2010, 12:02:15 am »

Today I scored an antique spyglass from an auction at work. The picture doesn't do it justice. The white thing is just a stand they put under it for the photo, and it's not even half extended. Fully extended it's about a yard long. Soon as I got it home I took it apart, cleaned it up (just the grime, it's still has a nice patina) and cleaned all of the lenses. I still works fine and has some respectable magnification.
Dave_G
Gunner

« Reply #885 on: September 04, 2010, 12:16:33 am »

Bought a "leather gentleman's brush case" without contents, but with mildew........ Hmmmm me thinks this might make a nice tool belt ?

"Watcher of the skies.... watcher of all"
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #886 on: September 05, 2010, 01:19:35 am »

Today I scored an antique spyglass from an auction at work. The picture doesn't do it justice. The white thing is just a stand they put under it for the photo, and it's not even half extended. Fully extended it's about a yard long. Soon as I got it home I took it apart, cleaned it up (just the grime, it's still has a nice patina) and cleaned all of the lenses. I still works fine and has some respectable magnification.

Thats a lovely looking telescope, what sort of magnification do you get with it?

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
agent036
Gunner

« Reply #887 on: September 05, 2010, 05:15:41 am »

I'm not sure how to gauge magnification. It's not nearly as strong as my 6inch reflector, but Jupiter seen through it is a definite disk. Even under fairly bad lighting conditions I was able to get a good look at Jupiter. In good air with a dark sky I might make out some of the brightest moons as tiny pinpoints.
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #888 on: September 05, 2010, 01:32:00 pm »

Typically the magnification for telescopes is the focusing length of the big lens divided by the focusing length of the lens which you look through (ocular).

Theoretical:
Fbig / Fsmall = Magnification

As you had the lenses out you can easily check the focus lengths by holding them in the sunlight and see when it's focussed.
Don't try to set fire this way. Roll Eyes

In this they say that a magnification of about 15x is enough to see the moons.

The bigger the diameter of the big lens the more light it passes and therefor there are much more light poorer objects to be noticed.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:34:28 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
agent036
Gunner

« Reply #889 on: September 05, 2010, 03:29:28 pm »

There are 5 lenses total in this scope, the big lens is actually 2 lenses pressed together in the housing to act like one lens. In the middle of the scope is an assembly with two more lenses spaced about 6 inches apart, and then the final lens at the end. Any idea how to figure it out with all that?
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #890 on: September 05, 2010, 07:24:34 pm »

No, not really. I didn't expect that.

The lenses in between are there for image correction. The colorshifting (chromatic abberation) around the edges of a lens because of their prism shape. They do not make the magnification greater.

The end of this article explains a little more

I think that you can safely say that it's got a magnifying capability of at least 15 to 20x.
But that's not important. I would be happy to have such a nice refractor and see even a glimpse of distant planets. No matter what magnification.

Smiley
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 07:29:32 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #891 on: September 06, 2010, 12:00:52 pm »

My partner and I went bushwalking over one of the local hills weekend before last and discovered that some of the ancient power poles had been replaced. The old poles had just been cut down and the old ceramic insulators had mostly smashed, but we (well, *he*) found one that was intact, then we followed the line of power poles and found a few more still attached to the fallen poles. Next weekend we go back with a collection of large spanners!

Mentioned this to my partner's Mum who said that she had a pile of glass insulators from when some poles were replaced near their farm. So this is what I scored (the brown ceramic one is the one from the bushwalk):

Eleven are reserved for a very long term plan I have, then I just need to use up the other ones, once I've cleaned up the lot. And gotten the wooden peg out that one...

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #892 on: September 06, 2010, 12:06:50 pm »

These insulators are absolutely gorgeous! Smiley
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #893 on: September 06, 2010, 08:47:27 pm »

This is what i found in a big container:

A bag

Skates

A pre war toycar remains. Schuco Auto 4001. It had 4 gears. Can i remove the rust?

This is how it once should have looked like:

A pipe. The brand is not all to clear. M&T All...tor 3459

And my favourites:
Marchal TP435 Equilux headlights. The mirrors are all gone, but they are of great beauty.

reference
http://www.vintage-headlamp-restoration.com/TP435.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:10:46 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #894 on: September 06, 2010, 10:10:18 pm »

My partner and I went bushwalking over one of the local hills weekend before last and discovered that some of the ancient power poles had been replaced. The old poles had just been cut down and the old ceramic insulators had mostly smashed, but we (well, *he*) found one that was intact, then we followed the line of power poles and found a few more still attached to the fallen poles. Next weekend we go back with a collection of large spanners!

Mentioned this to my partner's Mum who said that she had a pile of glass insulators from when some poles were replaced near their farm. So this is what I scored (the brown ceramic one is the one from the bushwalk):

Eleven are reserved for a very long term plan I have, then I just need to use up the other ones, once I've cleaned up the lot. And gotten the wooden peg out that one...

Really nice insulators.
Any plans for them ??
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #895 on: September 07, 2010, 12:14:21 am »

Really nice insulators.
Any plans for them ??

I have very long term plans for a pyracoustic organ (flame organ) and eleven of these will be perfect. I have two identical reed organs that I got in a garage sale and am learning to restore one to full condition using parts from both. The remaining shell will be filled with the flame organ bits. Thus the long term learning curve.

As for the others - no idea yet. Once cleaned up I'll know the condition of them and go from there. I know that some of the ones we're going to collect next weekend (more of the brown ceramic ones) have a hole through the top and should make a very nice base for the secondary coil of a small tesla coil I'm refurbishing (one that was my first coil, now in need of maintenance, so I shall steam it up).

I don't know how many intact brown ceramic ones we'll find. Again, if we find enough I will go for swap options on them, but I really don't know just yet.
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #896 on: September 07, 2010, 11:36:26 pm »

i went to a flea market last sunday and i got a very nice bowler

a cigarette-box case

and a quellazaire (FINALY!!!)

currently no pics of it, i need to repair and clean it first Smiley
Stella Aberwitz
Snr. Officer

« Reply #897 on: September 08, 2010, 08:39:06 am »

A bowler. On a flea market. With a student's budget. Congratulations, damn you're lucky. Grin
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #898 on: September 08, 2010, 12:54:40 pm »

A bowler. On a flea market. With a student's budget. Congratulations, damn you're lucky. Grin

5 euro Smiley

but actually it's my second bowler, i got one some weeks ago at New Yorkers for 13 euro. maybe you could see if you can get one of those!
Stella Aberwitz
Snr. Officer

« Reply #899 on: September 08, 2010, 01:13:05 pm »

Where's the green-with-envy smilie? Grin

That's one of the shops I'd never set a foot in. But yay, bazillions of teenagers wearing bowlers, time to look for an alternative. Wink
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: