The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 09, 2019, 11:07:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 286231 times)
V
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #850 on: August 26, 2010, 08:38:34 am »

Just being a envyious nanny, hope everyone searching for treasure at similar sites is suitably attired. When I was younger I once went into a disused coal power station. Having then moved into building material surveys I remember possible asbestos fibres everywhere, a collapsing roof and broken glass. Good idea to maybe take a dust mask and some strong boots as a minimum. Safety first Wink Excellent finds by the way.
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #851 on: August 27, 2010, 09:38:36 am »

And maybe a basic first aid kit.
Some parts are very difficult to salvage (rusted bolts etc.) and i can imagine there could be an injury because of tools or materials snapping loose or break.
Mr. Moonchylde
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #852 on: August 27, 2010, 01:54:53 pm »

Indeed. So far in that yard I've fallen through the ceiling of a heretofore unknown maintenance tunnel, been attacked by wasps, hornets, snakes, and one very angry pigeon, nearly walked out into empty space three stories up, nearly been run over by a train, fell through an old catwalk, stepped on several nails, been chased by a homeless man carrying a machete, and stumbled into a shed that was (at the time) being used for satanic rituals. Shocked

So I agree, safety should always be your first concern when entering places like this. Then again I'm sure that some people would agree with me when a sign says "Enter at your own risk", sometimes it's worth the risk for curiosities sake.  Grin
V
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #853 on: August 27, 2010, 02:37:45 pm »

Now THAT is an adventure!
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #854 on: August 27, 2010, 03:34:19 pm »

sounds like a movie

Der Tinkermann
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

keeper of scapegoats,sitting ducks,and black sheep

brosiman
« Reply #855 on: August 27, 2010, 04:41:34 pm »

been attacked by wasps, hornets, snakes, and one very angry pigeon, nearly walked out into empty space three stories up, nearly been run over by a train, fell through an old catwalk, stepped on several nails, been chased by a homeless man carrying a machete, and stumbled into a shed that was (at the time) being used for satanic rituals. Shocked

Sounds like a normal day in Kentucky.......  Tongue
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #856 on: August 27, 2010, 06:08:41 pm »

Mr Moonchylde is your real name Tin-Tin and are shadowy figures constantly trying to knock you out with a blackjack Cheesy

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #857 on: August 27, 2010, 09:56:26 pm »

You could go for something radical that has never been uses on the forum before - like using it as a type writer  Cheesy

This is precisely what happened in our household. I picked up a lovely Smith Premier typewriter on ebay for a fiver and lugged it home thinking to deconstruct it but it turned out to be in good working order, so I got it a new ribbon and everyone started using it. This was about 3 years ago and junior cost-centre now acquires typewriters of every age and clime, wherever they are to be found and uses them for his novel writing. Computers still rule for actual work, but typewriters are the ones he covets.

See here http://greensteampunk.blogspot.com/2009/02/mechanical-offline-blog-goes-online.html for my other use for the old typewriter: Greensteam's patent Mechanical Offline Blog.

I think we now have 6 working typewriters in the house, 2 others totally deconstructed, 2 more coming from my late father's house, plus the 4 computers.......

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Mr. Moonchylde
Officer

« Reply #858 on: August 28, 2010, 12:33:32 am »

Mr Moonchylde is your real name Tin-Tin and are shadowy figures constantly trying to knock you out with a blackjack Cheesy

Not that I'm aware of...  Grin

I probably should have mentioned that I've been exploring that particular yard for nearly ten years now, so this didn't happen all in one day or anything. It does kinda sound like a movie.  Tongue Of course, I also didn't mention the various injuries I obtained in the yard due to heavy drinking on the riverbank nearby... or the personal paranormal experiences I've had there as well, so... yeah, it's an interesting place.

Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #859 on: August 28, 2010, 07:55:35 pm »

Saw this today but not having a pressing need or £295 to spare I passed, but I thought I'd share it in case anyone is interested.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's in the antiques centre in Church Stretton Shropshire.

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #860 on: August 28, 2010, 08:11:19 pm »

I shall be landing the dirigible at Hemswell Cliff car boot tomorrow morn for an early morning bout of bargain hunting Smiley

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #861 on: August 28, 2010, 09:38:46 pm »

Saw this today but not having a pressing need or £295 to spare I passed, but I thought I'd share it in case anyone is interested.

It's in the antiques centre in Church Stretton Shropshire.

Just checked the diary - YOU DO HAVE A PRESSING NEED - Cider apples will be ready soon and you could convert this into a press

Wink

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #862 on: August 29, 2010, 10:26:28 am »

Feeling quite pleased with today's haul.

Candle lamp and old oak stand (?) - 50p each

Old Philips radio no case but apparently working - nice valves anyway. - £2

Old brass clock with proper mechanical movement. Corroded (or is that "distressed" !) - 50p

Little precision brass and steel cramp - I just can't resist old tooling and instruments - £4

Box of castors and escutcheons - mainly brass and mainly non-repro ! - £3

Old brass electric bell - £1

and lastly ......
I couldn't resist my bargain of the day .....

Brass Engine Room Telegraph - about 2 foot high - and works !!!! with a dinging bell inside ! - £3 !!!
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #863 on: August 29, 2010, 12:48:00 pm »

Can't show a picture, I've broken my camera- but an Ammeter two inches across, calibrated -60 to +60 Amperes, face marked 'MURPHY' 'Tulsa USA'. I suspect it's date of manufacture to be late forties, early fifties, and how it found it's way to a UK car boot sale I cannot say. I suspect it would have come off a truck. The chrome on the bezel has almost all gone- not sure whether to have it replated or just paint it.

It will find a home on my electric trike. The contemporary 'Smiths' Ammeter I was going to use is only rated 30A and frankly does not look as good.

There is nothing that cannot be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #864 on: August 29, 2010, 01:23:08 pm »

Been a very good few weeks in the charity shops: jacket and waistcoat of a mess suit for a tenner, fits perfectly, had to get some high waist fishtail trousers from a vintage clothes shop, so that's a whole new outfit sorted; an ancient typewriter (with added birds nest) for £15, a stirrup style garden spray (think Kenneth Williams at the end of Carry On Screaming with his petrifying spray!) and just yesterday an RAF uniform for a third the usual price!

Dunno what I'm going to do with the RAF uniform though...

Smiley

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #865 on: August 29, 2010, 01:33:40 pm »

Dunno what I'm going to do with the RAF uniform though...

Smiley

I can see you playin a 'steambiggles' character...

No flea market finds for me lately, I am saving my money for the Parisian flea markets in a few weeks time...

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #866 on: August 29, 2010, 01:53:25 pm »

**pics of lots of stuff I want**

Oh wow, I can not believe how lucky all of you guys get when hunting for stuff! There's a flea market coming up next week over here, but I seriously doubt there will be anything worht taking home there - and if there will be something interesting, no doubt it will be crazy expensive.. Flea markets are just no good over here.. Sad
PennyDreadful
Officer

Studying the white savages of the plains.

« Reply #867 on: August 29, 2010, 05:23:44 pm »

I found this vintage reproduction phone at one of the local thrift stores for $4. It is dated 1983 but I think it is rotary only. Not sure if I will do something with it or just put it on the shelf next to the vintage Ouija board in my office.

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
    Oscar Wilde
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #868 on: August 29, 2010, 05:26:48 pm »

Little precision brass and steel cramp - I just can't resist old tooling and instruments - £4

Congratulations Professor! What you have acquired is a composing stick, once used by printers to assemble individual letters into lines of type. If no other uses are forthcoming, you may well find hobby-printers interested in an authentic tool.

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Stella Aberwitz
Snr. Officer
Liechtenstein Liechtenstein

« Reply #869 on: August 29, 2010, 05:31:09 pm »

This week's loot, beside some rusty keys and a couple leather straps:

Girly, and of no practical use ... yet. But I count as a success that I found a guy who sells leather scraps in various forms and sizes. There were several small steam engines, tons of old tools and some devices I didn't even recognise. Also, tin toys seem to be fashionable at the moment. Really not bad for a boring provincial market.
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #870 on: August 29, 2010, 06:10:11 pm »

Congratulations Professor! What you have acquired is a composing stick, once used by printers to assemble individual letters into lines of type. If no other uses are forthcoming, you may well find hobby-printers interested in an authentic tool.

Cheers Kitty Smiley
Thanks for the info.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #871 on: August 29, 2010, 06:31:42 pm »

^ What's been said. And thank you for beating me to it. Tongue (I'm a printer by profession Grin)

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #872 on: August 29, 2010, 07:06:28 pm »

This week's loot, beside some rusty keys and a couple leather straps:

Girly, and of no practical use ... yet. But I count as a success that I found a guy who sells leather scraps in various forms and sizes. There were several small steam engines, tons of old tools and some devices I didn't even recognise. Also, tin toys seem to be fashionable at the moment. Really not bad for a boring provincial market.

That zeppelin could be very valuable. Isn't there a brand name to Google on?

Old brass clock with proper mechanical movement. Corroded (or is that "distressed" !) - 50p

and lastly ......

Brass Engine Room Telegraph - about 2 foot high - and works !!!! with a dinging bell inside ! - £3 !!!

Very nice finds!
It's very affordable in the UK. Here in the Netherlands everyone always asking exorbitant prices and know what things are worth to some people. And haggling on the price is 'Not Done' here.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 07:17:58 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #873 on: August 29, 2010, 09:07:37 pm »

and lastly ......

wow where do you shop? I really like the lamp and of course the telegraph
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #874 on: August 30, 2010, 06:33:46 am »

wow where do you shop? I really like the lamp and of course the telegraph

Cheers Oswald  Smiley
Arrived at the local car boot sale really early (7am) in order to snaffle all the bargains.
I feel pretty pleased with what I got  Grin
The candle lamp is repro but the frosted / etched glass shade is nice.
I'll fire her up later and see what it looks like.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: