The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 10, 2019, 07:21:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 286248 times)
arcwelder
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Reverse the polarity!

« Reply #825 on: August 02, 2010, 08:58:29 am »

Would you like a pair of handmade welsh sheep?

That sounds extremely odd out of context, in an "Is that you, God?" way.

Mad repairman for the ship of the damned.

darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #826 on: August 02, 2010, 09:14:35 am »

Correct me if I am wrong, but the poster remarked they were building a Noah's Ark of animals from around the world, using vintage and handmade creatures. Here in Wales, apart from the dragon, our most famous animal is the sheep. Many places sell handmade welsh sheep made from welsh wool. I thought these would fit in perfectly.

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #827 on: August 03, 2010, 12:36:36 pm »

Correct me if I am wrong, but the poster remarked they were building a Noah's Ark of animals from around the world, using vintage and handmade creatures. Here in Wales, apart from the dragon, our most famous animal is the sheep. Many places sell handmade welsh sheep made from welsh wool. I thought these would fit in perfectly.

I believe they would.

As would a pair of little Koalas hand made from Kangaroo hide.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #828 on: August 03, 2010, 02:34:24 pm »

Why don't they make kangaroos from the kangaroo hide?
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #829 on: August 03, 2010, 03:09:57 pm »

I believe they would.

As would a pair of little Koalas hand made from Kangaroo hide.

Does that count as two differnt animals?

Honeythorn
Zeppelin Admiral

How unfortunate...

« Reply #830 on: August 03, 2010, 06:53:30 pm »

I'll comb the dog. Instant welsh corgi  Cheesy

<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #831 on: August 03, 2010, 08:13:55 pm »

just picked this up in a charity shop, it's 9.5 x 7.5 x 2.5 inches, very solidly made fromwood about 1/4 inch thick

This has soooo much possibilities.

Apart from building a computer inside of it I'm thinking BIG brass cross, with a holy water pistol, garlic grenades, emergency stakes and a very small bible (for when you really need to throw the book at them).

Van Helsings' - would you stake your life on anything else?

Garlic grenades! Hmm, or should that be Mmmmm.
great ideas, I'm definitely going to replace the cross head screws with something more suitable, I'm thinking of some brass straps for the spine, etched with suitable designs. Might even try etching the hinges and I may try and fashion a brass clasp. could be over reaching my capabilities here!

Geoff of the blind faith
Deck Hand

when in doubt, it can be blown up or taken apart

« Reply #832 on: August 03, 2010, 08:56:58 pm »

that would make a very nice case for an osculator, or a pair of goggles. Secondly, i believe that would make a very nice box to add a secret compartment to Huh

Did you hear, they are saying absinthe is bad for you now!? Ha! what an imagination the press have in these days...
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #833 on: August 04, 2010, 04:11:45 am »

Why don't they make kangaroos from the kangaroo hide?

Actually - they make little Kangaroos from sheep skin.
Callidwyn
Officer

« Reply #834 on: August 05, 2010, 07:34:40 pm »

I was in a charity shop yesterday and, as I was going up to pay, I noticed a little watch in the glass-fronted till cabinet thingummy. We had a look at it and, though I suspected it was battery-powered, it was only £2 and my old pocket watch died a little while ago, so I bought it. When I got it home I discovered that it is mechanical! & it worked perfectly from 9:30 last night until about 2:00 this afternoon. So, I'm happy with it, although it's not entirely Steampunk-I looked it up & fond it was probably made in the 1960s, but it is pretty.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #835 on: August 23, 2010, 12:48:39 am »

I had a lot of luck at yard sales this weekend. Here are the highlights:
A Remington 16 typewriter - $5.00

A crappy looking old horn which turned out to be a brass 1910 Klaxet Oogah horn. I cleaned it up and it works - $5.00

Here's a video of the horn, so you can hear it.
Klaxet

and this cool looking miniature dive helmet made of brass and copper - $8.00

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:30:31 am by WillRockwell » Logged

Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #836 on: August 23, 2010, 03:37:41 pm »

That Diving helmet, I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Envious.

So whats the plan - mini strampunk ghost diver, reading lamp, clock, little Bigg Daddy, Big Sister, fish bowl, steampunked version of one of the victims in Dr Who "Silence in The Library"?

P.s. how big is the diving helmet - is that void in the front large enough to make it a recepticle for an unworn pocket watch?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:44:09 pm by Danbury Shakes » Logged
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #837 on: August 23, 2010, 05:24:18 pm »

Very nice finds indeed!

Doesn't 12 volts burn the electrical system (I guess it's a solenoid) from the claxet as it's made for only 6 volts?

That Diving helmet, I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Envious.

So whats the plan - mini strampunk ghost diver, reading lamp, clock, little Bigg Daddy, Big Sister, fish bowl, steampunked version of one of the victims in Dr Who "Silence in The Library"?

P.s. how big is the diving helmet - is that void in the front large enough to make it a recepticle for an unworn pocket watch?

I also am wondering how big it is. The helmet could be a nice asset to the Nautilus viewer. Or it would be a nice usb hub at the desk.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #838 on: August 23, 2010, 05:29:00 pm »

The Klaxet doesn't have a solenoid, only an electric motor which is sturdy enough to take any voltage. It would probably sound better with 6 volts.

The face hole in the helmet is 2.5" across. Here's what I'd really like to do with it - insert a small digital screen which is playing a long loop of a large fish tank, so it looks like a live cam of a tropical reef. A magnifying glass lens will fill the hole and distort the video.

I'm a little troubled as to what to do with the typewriter, outside of pulling off the keys for a possible future computer project. The thing weighs a ton and takes up a lot of space, what is it good for?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 05:30:46 pm by WillRockwell » Logged
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #839 on: August 23, 2010, 06:16:31 pm »

So the motor is vibrating a membrane? I didn't know that.

There are too many typewriters salvaged only for the keys, i think. And therefor i come up with the following:

-a magical typewriter. Make servo's underneath with a random generator and connect light sensitive resistors to them. As you move your hands above it (like a magician) the different servo's are pulling the keys. You can decide if the arms with the letters stay functional or not.

-as above, but as the arms with letters are not functional then in that space would nicely fit a (not necessarily) jarred brain (with wire connections and all) and a voice saying: "Welcome" or some other cheesy greeting as soon as someone blocks the light.

sort of:

I see that in a hallway where people take of their coats and the light is differently obstructed and the different ldr's are in the shadows (as a sort of greeting machine, reservation clerk or mechanical butler).

Or if you take the carrier of then it would be a nice base for also a viewer of some sort or a computer with a screen on top of it.
The only downside to that is is that they have other keys.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:54:48 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
Stella Aberwitz
Snr. Officer
Liechtenstein Liechtenstein

« Reply #840 on: August 23, 2010, 07:11:38 pm »

Hi, I'm new here. Smiley

At the last flea marked raid with my grandma, I found this little toy gun. Attempting to sand off the "Made in Spain" logo made it all shiny ... so I stopped sanding. The handle needs fixing though. Apparently it's around 40 years old, and it has a "shooting" mechanism with a little spring that still works. Perfect hand weapon to be concealed in a lady's undergarments. And all that for the price of one Euro.

Oh and apart from random girly stuff, I bought a gravedigger's bill from 1840. Undecided
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #841 on: August 23, 2010, 11:13:36 pm »

Oh and apart from random girly stuff, I bought a gravedigger's bill from 1840. Undecided

Now that I would like to see

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:48:22 pm by WillRockwell » Logged
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #842 on: August 24, 2010, 01:54:07 am »

I'm a little troubled as to what to do with the typewriter, outside of pulling off the keys for a possible future computer project. The thing weighs a ton and takes up a lot of space, what is it good for?

You could go for something radical that has never been uses on the forum before - like using it as a type writer  Cheesy
several years ago my ex had me looking for a typewriter for her because, despite the fact she had computers printers and geeks at hand, she liked the fact she could just pop in a form and type.  In the end she ended up with an electric typewriter because she didn't have to press as hard.

V
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #843 on: August 25, 2010, 09:20:57 am »

At a car boot I picked up a "Bacon's Excelsior Map of Wales & Monmouthshire". (Its local and useful for me). Exact age unknown, but believed to be from the early 1900s. Comes with a small geological map of Wales.

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #844 on: August 25, 2010, 02:57:26 pm »

Not exactly flea market finds but .......

Goodies collected from my father in law's bits and pieces drawer !!!

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #845 on: August 25, 2010, 06:44:28 pm »

Good stuff, now go round the rest of the family.
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #846 on: August 25, 2010, 07:19:04 pm »

Hi, I'm new here. Smiley

At the last flea marked raid with my grandma, I found this little toy gun. Attempting to sand off the "Made in Spain" logo made it all shiny ... so I stopped sanding. The handle needs fixing though. Apparently it's around 40 years old, and it has a "shooting" mechanism with a little spring that still works. Perfect hand weapon to be concealed in a lady's undergarments. And all that for the price of one Euro.

Cracking little find; wouldn't mind one of those myself and the age of it gives it a nice patina

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #847 on: August 25, 2010, 07:20:57 pm »

I was in a charity shop yesterday and, as I was going up to pay, I noticed a little watch in the glass-fronted till cabinet thingummy. We had a look at it and, though I suspected it was battery-powered, it was only £2 and my old pocket watch died a little while ago, so I bought it. When I got it home I discovered that it is mechanical! & it worked perfectly from 9:30 last night until about 2:00 this afternoon. So, I'm happy with it, although it's not entirely Steampunk-I looked it up & fond it was probably made in the 1960s, but it is pretty.

Cool Wish that would happen to me; the most exciting thing I've ever found is a wool blanket (to be fair I did actually need a wool blanket)
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #848 on: August 25, 2010, 08:02:32 pm »

Good stuff, now go round the rest of the family.

Thanks KCC Esq and too right !
Its works turn tomorrow.
Lets see what I turn up there !
Mr. Moonchylde
Officer

« Reply #849 on: August 26, 2010, 05:27:31 am »

I made a return trip to the infamous abandoned trainyard near my home a few weeks back, and while I didn't find a whole lot worth mentioning (I think I've nearly stripped it dry, sadly), I did find a couple of decent finds this time around:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think it was for an old boiler or furnace. It's missing the small bayonet-style lights, but some experimenting with a car jump box and a voltmeter let me know that it still works as a switch. Now if I can just find bulbs that are affordable (a quick net search turned up the right bulbs, but at $36 each, that's a bit out of my price range currently), I'll have a light switch and night light all in one!

Then there was the truly awesome find...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
These were found in a building I've probably scoured top to bottom dozens of times by my girlfriend, in plain sight, right next to the door. Seriously. If she hadn't already been the love of my life, this would have cemented it. It's missing the lenses, straps, and the screw-on peices that hold the lenses on, but that just means they're prime for customizing. I plan to comission someone to make me a pair of brass lens covers (I have the metal fabrication skills of a tomato) when I can come up with the money... the best part is, they'll fit over my glasses.

The lesson here? Always take your significant other trashpicking in abandoned industrial sights, especially if they have good eyesight.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: