The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 14, 2019, 06:09:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 285555 times)
Honeythorn
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

How unfortunate...

« Reply #800 on: July 18, 2010, 09:45:48 am »

I've bought an old hat from a car boot for £3.50. It's real fur, the guy does house clearances and reckons it's from the 1930's approximately. Going by the way it's put together and o on I would hazard a guess he's right.

It's definitely not recent, and going on that I was happy to buy it. I refuse to buy modern fur with the exception of reindeer ( who are kept in a semi natural half wild state in their natural habitat ) , but I do re-cycle old fur. It grieves me for an animal's life to be wasted by not using the old pelt if it's been turned into something. Anyway..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Could anyone hazard a guess as to what type of fur? It's very soft and smooth, and lies flat . The two halves of the hat make it seem too large to be mink? I was guessing fancy fur rabbit ( not rex though the hairs are too long) since it's too soft and too dark a chocolate colour to be wild rabbit.

<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·
Kaljaia
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #801 on: July 18, 2010, 10:07:10 pm »

If the fur is double length- thick shorter hairs with long, shiny hairs over them- it could be beaver.
Otherwise, rabbit it probably is, or otter or pine martin. (Cat is the other really soft shiny fur, but I'd probably get booted for suggesting such a thing.)

Either way, looks like lovely fur!

Every good "Why" deserves a "Why Not?"
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #802 on: July 19, 2010, 01:32:16 am »

It kind of looks like the "bear" hat my Dad bought in China. I don't think it's actually bear though.

Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy
Honeythorn
Zeppelin Admiral

How unfortunate...

« Reply #803 on: July 19, 2010, 09:37:31 pm »

Not coarse enough to be bear ( we don't have bears here and definitely didn't in the 30's ) , and I'm in the UK so Otter, beaver and Pine marten are highly unlikely. Otter hasn't really been a popular source of fur here..well forever really, and we haven't had beavers or pine martens for a few hundred years ( if not more) , espescially in the West midlands O.o.

It does have a soft underfur topped with long smooth guard hairs.

The colour is wrong for cat, so I'm going with rabbit. It may be Mink as I know there used to be mink farms round here many many many years ago, and probably were in the 30's, but I have no idea how big a mink gets .

This hat is made from two halves of shaped hide, so I'm guessing each half came from a separate animal. Each piece is big enough to have come from a rabbits back but I'm not so sure about mink, isn't that usually done in long strips? They do have long ferrety bodies and the shape of each half is wrong for that....
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #804 on: July 19, 2010, 11:12:42 pm »

Could be beaver, could be Nutria (coypu),  Just because we don't have them in the UK doesn't mean it can't be made from their fur, after all that's what the best fur hats were made of.

Looks very nice any way, great score.

Honeythorn
Zeppelin Admiral

How unfortunate...

« Reply #805 on: July 19, 2010, 11:34:11 pm »

Perhaps. There were matching gloves which I would have bought but for the fact they were HUGE. The tops were the same fur and would have made me look like I was wearing massive bear paws or something. A furry would have loved them!  Cheesy
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #806 on: July 19, 2010, 11:41:02 pm »

Surely you could have used them for something?  Pity to miss the opportunity.
Honeythorn
Zeppelin Admiral

How unfortunate...

« Reply #807 on: July 20, 2010, 06:27:49 pm »

Alas no. My sewing skills are ZERO. And it would have been a pity to take apart something that old that was basically still perfectly useable. I have no idea what I would have used them for O.o
Herkimer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #808 on: July 24, 2010, 01:35:29 pm »

I saved this little beauty from a garage sale on my way home from work last night.
(disclaimer, this is a pic I borrowed online, it looks just like mine, and I liked it better than any I tried to take myself...)

The lady I bought it from said her husband had owned it for 30 years prior to his death and never figured out what it was.
I paid the princely sum of 3$ for it, under the condition that I tell her what it is, if I ever find out.

The handle end of it is brass overlaid with compressed leather rings much like some old knives were. It unscrews to reveal a firing pin type mechanism inside. 

My first thought was a steamy light saber. My wife's was "please tell me that thing doesn't take batteries!"  Did I mention that I LOVE my wife?   

Anyway, a bit of searching the as the US patent office website, and then online revealed it's true nature.

So there you have it, yet another item I'll wager that most of us never knew existed. A billy club that fires tear gas.
To my mind it has one major design flaw.  You have to flip it over and grab it by the metal end before firing, or you'd gas yourself.

I have only found one for sale as of the moment and it was missing the leather strap. The asking price is $450.  Personally I suspect that the seller is a bit of an optimist, but I'm eager to see what the item really sells for.   

I'm torn between being elated at my good fortune and feelings of guilt.  Perhaps if it brings good money, I'll split it with the lady I bought it from. 

Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #809 on: July 24, 2010, 07:42:51 pm »

You kept the suspense high for a moment there.  Roll Eyes

A quick Google search tells us that around $200 is more realistic. Nevertheless quite a bargain!  Shocked

http://www.icollector.com/Two-Tear-Gas-Dispensers-A-Federal-Laboratories-Tear-Gas-Billy-Club-B-Atlas-Tear-Gas-Fountain-Pen_i9514167

http://www.lake-link.com/tradingpost/itemdetails.cfm?browserformat=False&TradingPostID=45061
Lord Jeffreys
Snr. Officer

« Reply #810 on: July 25, 2010, 06:15:17 am »

Found these strange brass things, perhaps they are oarlocks (?) a buck for both of them:

And this awesome capenter's ruler for a quarter:

This cool Italian plate for 50 cents:

I also found an old Sears Silvertone acoustic guitar for 15 bucks, which despite being very beat-up, two bent tuning keys and a chewed up nut and bridge, actually stays in tune pretty well.
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #811 on: July 25, 2010, 01:09:47 pm »

Found these strange brass things, perhaps they are oarlocks (?) a buck for both of them:

I also found an old Sears Silvertone acoustic guitar for 15 bucks, which despite being very beat-up, two bent tuning keys and a chewed up nut and bridge, actually stays in tune pretty well.

That's a complete load of oarlocks   Smiley

That's a nice plate - three legged swastika/triskelion - any markings on the back.  It looks like there's a couple of marks at the bottom - are these chips or just just reflections from the lights?
niko88
Deck Hand

« Reply #812 on: July 26, 2010, 09:58:56 am »

That Plate is Sicilian or at least very similar
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&tbs=isch:1&q=sicily+flag&revid=2117862398&sa=X&ei=PE5NTL-eHoT58AbvquUy&ved=0CCUQ1QIoAg&biw=1375&bih=889
Lord Jeffreys
Snr. Officer

« Reply #813 on: July 27, 2010, 04:03:27 am »

Yes the lady told me it came from Italy and that the symbol was specific to the area it came from. The back says Ricordo Siciliono, and sadly those are some slight chips around the edges.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:06:12 am by Lord Jeffreys » Logged
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #814 on: July 27, 2010, 02:49:23 pm »

just picked this up in a charity shop, it's 9.5 x 7.5 x 2.5 inches, very solidly made fromwood about 1/4 inch thick

Angelica Needle
Zeppelin Admiral

Navigator & Mechanic: RD Susurrus

« Reply #815 on: July 27, 2010, 03:34:18 pm »

We made a fantastic find on Saturday.

We were on our way out of town when we noticed one street had a 'street party'. Grabbed a parking space, wandered up. We weren't going into the Fancy Dress shop, but I persuaded Rob... looked at their cheap tophats which weren't suitable, started chatting to the lady shopkeeper about hats in general (mentioned the Panama hat, the cowboy hats etc).... she looked at her assistant & then mentioned that she had a very battered old top hat that she couldn't rent out because it was too battered & too small for most people.

Definitely didn't fit Rob.

But it's pretty damn near perfect for me Cheesy

I think the fact that we talked about actually wearing it & using it swung the conversation, & I ended up with a proper old beaver-fur top hat. I loved the battered look of it, although any advice on what glue to use to just smooth down the ribbon on the edge & repair the headband would be much appreciated. Smiley

The sound of the gentle rattle of china cup on china saucer drives away all demons, a little-known fact.
Terry Pratchett, Snuff
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #816 on: July 27, 2010, 06:33:02 pm »

Rollocks!  Wink

"Who would have guessed that behind the formidable brow of his, which appeared to be made of some kind of rook, there lay so strange a mixture of memories and thoughts?"

Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #817 on: July 27, 2010, 07:16:41 pm »

Rollocks!  Wink

A pair in fact!
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #818 on: July 27, 2010, 11:18:06 pm »

I loved the battered look of it, although any advice on what glue to use to just smooth down the ribbon on the edge & repair the headband would be much appreciated. Smiley

Nice hat! I use Aleene's Tacky Glue for fabrics. It has a working time of some minutes and dries clear. No need to use too much; when dry, it holds really well.http://www.dickblick.com/products/aleenes-original-tacky-glue/

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #819 on: July 29, 2010, 12:58:38 am »

just picked this up in a charity shop, it's 9.5 x 7.5 x 2.5 inches, very solidly made fromwood about 1/4 inch thick

This has soooo much possibilities.

Apart from building a computer inside of it I'm thinking BIG brass cross, with a holy water pistol, garlic grenades, emergency stakes and a very small bible (for when you really need to throw the book at them).

Van Helsings' - would you stake your life on anything else?
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #820 on: July 29, 2010, 04:11:04 am »

This has soooo much possibilities.

Apart from building a computer inside of it I'm thinking BIG brass cross, with a holy water pistol, garlic grenades, emergency stakes and a very small bible (for when you really need to throw the book at them).

Van Helsings' - would you stake your life on anything else?

I *love* that idea Cheesy

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Angelica Needle
Zeppelin Admiral

Navigator & Mechanic: RD Susurrus

« Reply #821 on: July 29, 2010, 01:30:25 pm »

Nice hat! I use Aleene's Tacky Glue for fabrics. It has a working time of some minutes and dries clear. No need to use too much; when dry, it holds really well.http://www.dickblick.com/products/aleenes-original-tacky-glue/

Why thankyou! And thanks for the suggestion - I see that glue is available on ebay Smiley
Kaljaia
Snr. Officer

« Reply #822 on: July 31, 2010, 10:53:39 pm »

Our church had a rummage sale today- found this for 3$. It's hardly an antique, but still has the wick and lamp oil. It goes great with my collection of odd glass and boxes.

And these are the first three in my ongoing Noah's Ark project- vintage, international and folk-art animals in pairs. The deer are from a local antique mall, the lizards are from Cameroon, and the turtles from Niger.
Emperor Bob
Snr. Officer

« Reply #823 on: August 02, 2010, 06:12:24 am »

I just found a beautiful double breasted cashmere great coat at value village for $20.  I didn't even realize what a good deal it was until I got it home.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #824 on: August 02, 2010, 08:49:47 am »

Our church had a rummage sale today- found this for 3$. It's hardly an antique, but still has the wick and lamp oil. It goes great with my collection of odd glass and boxes.

And these are the first three in my ongoing Noah's Ark project- vintage, international and folk-art animals in pairs. The deer are from a local antique mall, the lizards are from Cameroon, and the turtles from Niger.

Would you like a pair of handmade welsh sheep?

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: