The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 19, 2019, 04:17:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 285690 times)
Lord Jeffreys
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #775 on: July 10, 2010, 09:23:15 am »

Found this stuff for free in the back of a friends truck.
An old ammo box:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And these strange things. I was told they are the teeth for the large machine that tears up the road on road re-paving crews (The drill is there for size reference).

thunderarrowalchemist
Gunner
Australia Australia

a firm believer that tea is much like politics

« Reply #776 on: July 10, 2010, 12:05:01 pm »

a bit of TLC and you've got yourself some faithful companions that could last a long time.

a best of all..... they dont speak to you  Tongue

"things that are back to front are often easier to comprehend if they are upside down as well", said lord vetinari........"in life as in politics."
(T.Pratchett,The Truth)
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #777 on: July 10, 2010, 12:29:29 pm »

Found this stuff for free in the back of a friends truck.

Free! Lucky, luck man

And these strange things. I was told they are the teeth for the large machine that tears up the road on road re-paving crews (The drill is there for size reference).

I'm thinking a nice  Yew slab with these embedded into it would give an interesting and unusual coat rack.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #778 on: July 10, 2010, 12:33:36 pm »

Okay...

So now I have either -

A/. the first part of a very large steampunk tin man sculpture.

or -

B/. One very heavy part for a costume (this is 2 foot long and takes two hand to lift - I have used these before on road accident rescue jobs when you need to tear a smashed car to bits to get an injured person out of it, and boy do your arms get tired after using this for anything over ten minutes).

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #779 on: July 10, 2010, 01:39:50 pm »

Where did you get the jaws of life?  Shocked

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #780 on: July 10, 2010, 08:37:36 pm »

Okay...

So now I have either -

or -

B/. One very heavy part for a costume (this is 2 foot long and takes two hand to lift - I have used these before on road accident rescue jobs when you need to tear a smashed car to bits to get an injured person out of it, and boy do your arms get tired after using this for anything over ten minutes).

I'd go for plan B and for the weight issue you could make some arm with a counterweight  or springs that holds it.
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #781 on: July 10, 2010, 10:46:26 pm »

Okay...

So now I have either -

or -

I'd go for plan B and for the weight issue you could make some arm with a counterweight  or springs that holds it.

Well, that makes a steampunk servitor a definite possibility Cheesy

Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #782 on: July 12, 2010, 07:52:16 pm »

Picked this up recently, it's heavy brass about 6 inches tall and about 5 inches in diameter, the to screws on. Any ideas what it's for? I did check there were no ashes in it!

remission
Officer

« Reply #783 on: July 12, 2010, 09:42:50 pm »

Sadly, My camera died before I could get more than a few shots of my current thrift store finds, but Ill take more when it is charged Smiley

I first found this nice basic pair of silver framed glasses but the cool part is, the sides are in a kind of coil spring shape which makes them nice.

Other things I found, was a basic rubber gas mask. I already have the exact same one, but this one was $3.50 so I am going to try to resell it.  

Also found a pair of antlers, I will use in my headdress costume I am making for Renn-Con next year to go with my Satyr legs I made for my Saytr costume .

Earlier I found a nice old brown horse harness I used to make a shoulder harness that dropped down into belt loops to go around the thick leather tool belt. Or it will, once I buy more brass rivets from Tandy.

Found the top to a old oil lantern, the type where you turn the side knob to thread the wick up and down. It still had the wick attached. Its nice and brassy so I might use it on a gauntlet I am making.

Found another large clock key from one of the large gear worked clocks.

Found 2 nice sets of suspender braces with thick leather ends and a nice pair of pants that I sewed vintage looking buttons on to hold them up. I have not taken the belt loops out yet but I shall.

Also received my crystal radio headphones I purchased on Ebay, YAY. They look great. Now I need to remod them to work with normal headphones. They came attatched to what I can assume is part of the crystal radio setup, not sure what I shall do with these spare parts.

I wish I could figure out how to find the photo image in Flickr. All it shows is the URL.  Photobucket seems easier to use :/

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:17:09 am by remission » Logged

facebook.com/remission20
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #784 on: July 14, 2010, 09:51:49 am »

Great old headphones remission,

If you can use the terminals that are already there, then you can drop new speakers inside the old cups, attach the wires to the terminals on the inside, and then attach the leads on the outsides once you have bootlaced them.

I use a basic pair of plastic Sony's that cost around $15, I have to trin the speaker mounts down a bit, but I use a grinding wheel for that and then slip the foam covers over the speakers before I put them inside the cups.

Either that - or mail them to me and I will mod them for you (at materials and plus postage cost).

Personally I would have a go at it yourself.

Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #785 on: July 14, 2010, 11:49:08 am »

Sadly, My camera died before I could get more than a few shots of my current thrift store finds, but Ill take more when it is charged Smiley

I first found this nice basic pair of silver framed glasses but the cool part is, the sides are in a kind of coil spring shape which makes them nice.

Other things I found, was a basic rubber gas mask. I already have the exact same one, but this one was $3.50 so I am going to try to resell it.  

Also found a pair of antlers, I will use in my headdress costume I am making for Renn-Con next year to go with my Satyr legs I made for my Saytr costume .

Earlier I found a nice old brown horse harness I used to make a shoulder harness that dropped down into belt loops to go around the thick leather tool belt. Or it will, once I buy more brass rivets from Tandy.

Found the top to a old oil lantern, the type where you turn the side knob to thread the wick up and down. It still had the wick attached. Its nice and brassy so I might use it on a gauntlet I am making.

Found another large clock key from one of the large gear worked clocks.

Found 2 nice sets of suspender braces with thick leather ends and a nice pair of pants that I sewed vintage looking buttons on to hold them up. I have not taken the belt loops out yet but I shall.

Also received my crystal radio headphones I purchased on Ebay, YAY. They look great. Now I need to remod them to work with normal headphones. They came attatched to what I can assume is part of the crystal radio setup, not sure what I shall do with these spare parts.

I wish I could figure out how to find the photo image in Flickr. All it shows is the URL.  Photobucket seems easier to use :/

If you go to your picture on Flickr and click 'all sizes' above it then you can choose the required picture size. If you click that under your picture appears another url for that particular photo.
Copy and paste it here at BG between the [IMG]- tags.
That should work.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #786 on: July 14, 2010, 07:19:34 pm »

I checked out a couple of charity shops in town and got a nice plain white underskirt for £2 and some pearl ball buttons that will be perfect when I get around to making the horrendously complicated True Vic blouse. Also a vile plastic Primark handbag in blue pvc but it has a lovely brass chain, so I reckoned that was worth a quid.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
remission
Officer

« Reply #787 on: July 14, 2010, 07:21:50 pm »

Great old headphones remission,

If you can use the terminals that are already there, then you can drop new speakers inside the old cups, attach the wires to the terminals on the inside, and then attach the leads on the outsides once you have bootlaced them.

I use a basic pair of plastic Sony's that cost around $15, I have to trin the speaker mounts down a bit, but I use a grinding wheel for that and then slip the foam covers over the speakers before I put them inside the cups.

Either that - or mail them to me and I will mod them for you (at materials and plus postage cost).

Personally I would have a go at it yourself.

Thanks! I love them. I especially love the companies logo on the outsize of the cups, red and brassy gold colored.  A shame though I found I cannot wear them under any hat I own. Its too bulky with the headband.

I was thinking of doing the terminals that way, but I wasn't sure if the sound from the new speakers would be as good, wired up that way. I thought I saw someone here post about doing it that way, saying something about the sound being weird.  Have you tried that option yourself and tested it?  What size wire would you recommend? 14 ga?

If I did that, and bootlaced them, I wasn't sure how I would tie up the end of the bootlacing up to the terminal bolt once I treaded it. On yours, it looks like you ran the bootlacing up inside the cup.  I did find some really nice brown with light greenish-yellow stripping laceing.  I am tempted to just use Black and red wire, and run that from each cup down to the splicer I found and then start the bootlacing from there. That way I can hide the lace ends inside each end. A shame I couldn't find a brass splicer, but maybe I can spraypaint it until I do.

Yawn, I was up till 3 am messing with projects, but I have a job offer as of this morning so I won't be able to do that for long if I get it! Smiley

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:28:26 pm by remission » Logged
remission
Officer

« Reply #788 on: July 14, 2010, 07:31:08 pm »

I wish I could figure out how to find the photo image in Flickr. All it shows is the URL.  Photobucket seems easier to use :/

[/quote]

If you go to your picture on Flickr and click 'all sizes' above it then you can choose the required picture size. If you click that under your picture appears another url for that particular photo.
Copy and paste it here at BG between the [IMG]- tags.
That should work.
[/quote]

Much Appreciated Endeavour! I was wracking my brains trying to find that out. Flickr seems more complicated than Photo Bucket. What is the difference between a Set and a Gallery anyways. I am still messing with it Smiley
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #789 on: July 14, 2010, 08:45:41 pm »

I don't use all these features of Flickr. It's to complicated for me and I don't seem to miss it. I only upload photo's there to get them here on BG or other Forum.

I must admit it isn't as clear as it should be. The 'galleries' has a FAQ, but a 'set' doesn't seem to have one.  Huh
http://www.flickr.com/help/galleries/

Try Wikipedia which says this about 'sets':
Flickr also enables users to organize their photos into "sets", or groups of photos that fall under the same heading. However, sets are more flexible than the traditional folder-based method of organizing files, as one photo can belong to one set, many sets, or none at all. Flickr's "sets", then, represent a form of categorical metadata rather than a physical hierarchy. Sets may be grouped into "collections", and collections further grouped into higher-order collections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flickr
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:48:23 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
Gregor
Snr. Officer

« Reply #790 on: July 15, 2010, 10:49:08 pm »

Helped a nice lady out at the recycling center, we emptied out her car and paid her bill for turning in CRT monitors. The other stuff in her car we kept. We tried to give her a bit o' green for the other stuff but she wouldn't take it. She was happy to not have to pay anything  for the recycling and have someone do the schlepping to the bin.

Mundane stuff we got:  4 octave electronic keyboard (cleaned it up, replaced the power switch and it was fine) gave it to the 4 year old daughter of a co-worker ( priceless ), RCA surround sound with all the speakers (cleaned it up, rewired 2 of the speakers to control unit, works fine), a dual tape deck (cleaned it up, replaced rear speaker jacks that were ripped out) works fine and sold for 10.00 while it was on the bench. Vector Research dial type receiver, replaced 2 output jacks that were ripped out, cleaned it up and restrung the dial, sold for 80.00 ( I didn't really want to sell it because I liked the chassis so I named a high price, should have said 100.00). Like I said, all mundane.

The funnest item I got though was this, that worked fine after a good cleaning and the old batteries and chemical residue were removed:

What to do . . .  I especially like the Notice to Airmen plates on it. So many people come in and want to buy it as well, but it is a keeper,     for now.    Cheers all - g

Could somebody Pleeease explain to my mother that it is steam PUNK not steam PIMP!?!
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #791 on: July 15, 2010, 11:59:11 pm »

*snip

The funnest item I got though was this, that worked fine after a good cleaning and the old batteries and chemical residue were removed:

What to do . . .  I especially like the Notice to Airmen plates on it. So many people come in and want to buy it as well, but it is a keeper,     for now.    Cheers all - g

I've seen something like that in a catalogue ages ago, I wanted to have it Tongue Now I could probably look for something like it forever.
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #792 on: July 16, 2010, 12:32:08 am »

*snip

I've seen something like that in a catalogue ages ago, I wanted to have it Tongue Now I could probably look for something like it forever.

I saw one like this at Hexham carboot sale at Easter.  Can't remember how much it was, but I didn't have the cash
Kaljaia
Snr. Officer

« Reply #793 on: July 16, 2010, 04:56:40 pm »

I guess Powell's could be considered a flea market of sorts...
Anyway, I picked up 'Captains Courageous' and 'The Day's Work' for my Kipling collection, 'The Book of Nature Lore' for my Burgess collection, and 'Cleopatra' for my Haggard collection. Unfortunately, Powell's knows how valuable all those old books are and is pricing them accordingly these days. Gone are the days when the old tattered 1898 hardback was only 3.50!
The current Kipling lineup:
And I have mysteriously acquired eleven toggle-switch phone switch boards from the perpetual flea-market that is my dad's basement. Any ideas on how to use them? There are a lot of fun little shiny bits on the back, but I'd hate to break something down that's still in perfectly good condition.

Every good "Why" deserves a "Why Not?"
Lord Jeffreys
Snr. Officer

« Reply #794 on: July 17, 2010, 12:19:10 am »

Helped a nice lady out at the recycling center, we emptied out her car and paid her bill for turning in CRT monitors. The other stuff in her car we kept. We tried to give her a bit o' green for the other stuff but she wouldn't take it. She was happy to not have to pay anything  for the recycling and have someone do the schlepping to the bin.

Mundane stuff we got:  4 octave electronic keyboard (cleaned it up, replaced the power switch and it was fine) gave it to the 4 year old daughter of a co-worker ( priceless ), RCA surround sound with all the speakers (cleaned it up, rewired 2 of the speakers to control unit, works fine), a dual tape deck (cleaned it up, replaced rear speaker jacks that were ripped out) works fine and sold for 10.00 while it was on the bench. Vector Research dial type receiver, replaced 2 output jacks that were ripped out, cleaned it up and restrung the dial, sold for 80.00 ( I didn't really want to sell it because I liked the chassis so I named a high price, should have said 100.00). Like I said, all mundane.

My dad has one of those in brand new condition. Cheesy
He's retired Air Force, I think he bought it at the PX
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:21:13 am by Lord Jeffreys » Logged
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #795 on: July 17, 2010, 05:25:36 am »

I guess Powell's could be considered a flea market of sorts...
Anyway, I picked up 'Captains Courageous' and 'The Day's Work' for my Kipling collection, 'The Book of Nature Lore' for my Burgess collection, and 'Cleopatra' for my Haggard collection. Unfortunately, Powell's knows how valuable all those old books are and is pricing them accordingly these days. Gone are the days when the old tattered 1898 hardback was only 3.50!
The current Kipling lineup:
And I have mysteriously acquired eleven toggle-switch phone switch boards from the perpetual flea-market that is my dad's basement. Any ideas on how to use them? There are a lot of fun little shiny bits on the back, but I'd hate to break something down that's still in perfectly good condition.

Wire it all up as a keyboard!

(It can be done).
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #796 on: July 17, 2010, 09:42:22 am »

Turn it into a step sequencer?
http://store.curiousinventor.com/voice-of-saturn-modular/voice-of-saturn-sequencer.html]
[url]http://store.curiousinventor.com/voice-of-saturn-modular/voice-of-saturn-sequencer.html
[/url]

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #797 on: July 17, 2010, 02:04:54 pm »

That's what i thought also!
Better a Klee sequencer http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id27.html

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 02:07:05 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
Kaljaia
Snr. Officer

« Reply #798 on: July 17, 2010, 05:11:09 pm »

That's what i thought also!
Better a Klee sequencer http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id27.html

Seriously, if you want one, you can have it. I'll be listing most of them on Ebay in a couple weeks to see if anyone has similar ideas, but if anyone from here is interested, you guys can have first call.
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #799 on: July 17, 2010, 08:25:06 pm »

Thanks, that's very kind.
However I was just joking. I already am building a step sequencer and a klee-sequencer costs more money on parts then I can spend right now.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: