The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 16, 2019, 10:38:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 285629 times)
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #750 on: June 21, 2010, 11:17:55 pm »

I got a brass oil lamp and a modern pretend brass "candlestick" telephone. These were from a stall in a local street festival and the lady only wanted a pound each but I gave her more because the stall was in aid of the local community gardens.

Sadly the telephone seems not to work. The brass lamp has been electrified but has no chimney and I know chimneys are very expensive, so I am thinking of making one with a tube of very stiff tracing paper. If I use a low energy light bulb I think that ought to be safe-ish??

Not sure how best to use the telephone. I will open it up and see if anything obvious needs reconnected but I know you arent meant to connect phones to the system unless they are approved, so probably not possible for my very amateurish efforts to fix it adequately.

Still these were encouraging finds after a visit to the Barras yielded nothing.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #751 on: June 21, 2010, 11:41:01 pm »

There are places I know of in Cardiff that "modernise" old phones,that is rip out all the old innards and replace them with a modern circuit and plug so they CAN be connected and used, might be worth asking around a few antique/kitsch places....

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Baron von Schutter
Gunner
Australia Australia

Ocular Experimentalist

« Reply #752 on: June 21, 2010, 11:43:03 pm »

some neat recent scores, the first two were unfortunately no for sale Sad the shop guy always keeps the best stuff for himself (although they only stand around his warehouse doing nothing, you gotta like a person for hanging onto things just so he can look at them) ... I thought I'd show them anyway because they're little beauties!

the chairs are an exciting new addition to our studio, although more atomic age than victorian, I love them, but they need some work. They were not an extreme bargain or anything, but at Au$60 each I couldn't say no! They need new upholstery and those silly triangular backs that some hack barbarian put on them need to be replaced, too.
a set of double doors for a dividing wall we're installing soon, those were Au$20 for the pair.
old glassblowing torches I re-discovered in a box which I brought down a couple of years ago from my dad's workshop after he died. I forgot I had them.
and an old german storm lantern for Au$5 which someone converted to electric
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:44:57 pm by Baron von Schutter » Logged
mécanisme
Deck Hand
United States United States

Oh?

« Reply #753 on: June 22, 2010, 12:52:31 am »

I was combing through a junk shop today and came across this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The owner had a whole box of them (over about 40 of them total), but not actually owning a player, I bought one just for the curio value.

WANT
Have they got the rolls inside too? BUY them instanter and I am confident lots of folks here will be interested to buy them off you.

Hm-mm, roll and everything.  Some were in better shapes than others.  I'm thinking about popping back there and buying the box but, sigh, have to way until a paycheck appears.

To the wind we go
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #754 on: June 22, 2010, 01:03:39 am »

The brass lamp has been electrified but has no chimney and I know chimneys are very expensive, so I am thinking of making one with a tube of very stiff tracing paper. If I use a low energy light bulb I think that ought to be safe-ish??

It may be safer but a bit more involved to convert the lamp to using a low voltage LED system ? It may mean running the LED cable up the lamp in place of the current 240V flex and changing over the lamp socket/holder. That may not be worth it for you in terms of time/expense, so it may still be easier to hunt up a glass chimney if you have any concerns. I didn't think new ones were hugely expensive - I ordered a couple of new replacement chimneys for two of my lamps recently and they ran to about AU$22 each. 32cm high and 7.5cm across at the base.

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
Baron von Schutter
Gunner
Australia Australia

Ocular Experimentalist

« Reply #755 on: June 22, 2010, 11:45:54 am »

I know chimneys are very expensive

they're not easy to blow to shape and second hand ones are impossible to get, you may find something thin, chinese and cheap though. But if you find the right bottle to fit, you could jerry one up on the cheap (check out the vid below, it'll save me the time to explain). Acetone based nail polish remover or methylated spirits work well. Once you've done what they show you in the vid, use some wet and dry #400 grit to soften up the edges so you don't cut yourself.

check it out, it may be a solution

I would still go the low voltage light option, though, drink bottles are not known for being annealed well and would more likely than not shatter with a naked flame
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:51:49 am by Baron von Schutter » Logged
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #756 on: June 22, 2010, 01:01:47 pm »

I got a brass oil lamp and a modern pretend brass "candlestick" telephone. These were from a stall in a local street festival and the lady only wanted a pound each but I gave her more because the stall was in aid of the local community gardens.

Sadly the telephone seems not to work. The brass lamp has been electrified but has no chimney and I know chimneys are very expensive, so I am thinking of making one with a tube of very stiff tracing paper. If I use a low energy light bulb I think that ought to be safe-ish??

Not sure how best to use the telephone. I will open it up and see if anything obvious needs reconnected but I know you arent meant to connect phones to the system unless they are approved, so probably not possible for my very amateurish efforts to fix it adequately.

There are lots of imitation chimney suppliers like the following, but I don't know the shape you need.
http://www.antiquelampsupply.com/category/140/  or http://www.hurricanelamps.co.uk/petromax.htm (down the page)
and they don't seem to cost very much.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #757 on: June 22, 2010, 01:18:35 pm »

There are quite few shops about selling "period home" items including spares for lamps. I found out recently that a lot of the repro brass candlestick phones were made in India and intended for the USA market.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 07:43:26 am by Kevin C Cooper Esq » Logged

greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #758 on: June 23, 2010, 12:30:30 am »

Thanks to all for the links and ideas for chimneys and phone fixes. These projects are on the side burner (as it were) as I have to  make my outfit for the palace garden party (no kidding  Wink) and will also be away clearing a house for part of the intervening time.

Actually when I get back with the van load of stuff from the house clearing, there will be enough stuff for projects to keep me going for years I think.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #759 on: June 23, 2010, 07:59:38 am »

Over the weekend I went to a local carboot faire (something like a 'yard sale' for those overseas...), and I scored a good 'un - an L. Oertling 'MODEL 62 F.M' Analytical balance (laboratory scales), and in quite good condition too! Dates to roughly the 1930's. £25 which was reasonable enough.

I cant post a pic of mine just yet (not until I find the reader for my camera memory card  Roll Eyes  ), but here is a generic picture of the same model (though mine has some minor differences). Sorry, low quality but it's the only pic I could find...

I also got a small Rounded flask (can't remember the correct name) Looks like Pyrex glass, so it's a boiling flask. This should go nice with the other bits of labware I recently unearthed in my collection.

At another seller there was a rather nice, but horribly rough looking 19th C apothecary box, however the guy wanted £30 and wasn't willing to budge on price (I said a lower price, he just said "Nah, f**k off!" and walked away, charming...) - sadly it just wasn't worth that sort of money. Too badly damaged. Would have taken it for £20, but the damage wasn't the only thing that put me off. The guy was plainly as dodgey as they come - he was even openly smoking a pure (and strong) skunk joint while he waited for people to buy stuff. And most of the items he had, seemed to be the type of stuff that is most often taken during break-ins on garages and house burglaries.....  And his rusted out crap-cart of a van seemed to have two different number plates.  Undecided

Although I was already about to leave, I quickly decided to move on once he started a chainsaw up, and then handed it to a customer - still running. In a crowded area... EEK!  Shocked

SS

[Server Prayer]
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #760 on: June 26, 2010, 12:32:03 pm »

My wife and I will be driving from Manhattan to Boston this morning, looking for yard sales along the way. I feel optimistic enough to announce this in advance, and will post my discoveries upon our return Sunday evening.

Result - less than I hoped for but nice stuff anyway:
*a very nice hardwood hinged box that an expensive wallet came in
*a copper tea kettle with very interesting tripod base that will no doubt be used in a future project
*an unusual magnet vice that weighs about 20 pounds and is designed to hold metal objects while you work on them
*a nice solid brass hinge piece
*an interesting automotive lamp that has a protective grill
it turns out that ritzy neighborhoods have pretty much the same crap as everyone else, though my wife found a Pucci blouse.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:03:15 am by WillRockwell » Logged

Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #761 on: June 26, 2010, 03:55:19 pm »

A jolly good morning at The Rep theatre in Brum today, where they were having a sale of surplus costumes. My haul comprised:

• Two black woollen evening tail coats
  • Two pairs of black woollen high-waist trousers
  • Two pale grey woollen double-breasted waist coats
  • One black woollen single-breasted waist coat
  • Three long white cotton collarless shirts
  • One pair of short black leather jodhpur riding boots
  • One pair of black leather half chaps - brand spanking new!

Total cost: £38.00p

I am a happy chap.  Grin Grin Grin

As I saw Steamblast Mary, Darkshines and Mr Cowperthwaite there, I expect there'll be more tales of treasure later on.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #762 on: June 28, 2010, 10:26:18 pm »

We got LOADS of stuff from the Rep! We spent £99.50 and got:

Green tweed jacket
Vintage Tailcoat
About a dozen shirts (half without collars!)
Military mens breeches
Brown waistcoat
Lilac silk Victorian ball gown
Full heavy black velvet Victorian dress
Victorian crinoline/hoop skirt
Victorian underskirt with bumroll
About half a dozen floor/knee length skirts
Pair of white satin reproduction Victorian boots
Vintage fox fur stole
Victorian kitchen apron

And probably a couple of other things I forgot!
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #763 on: June 28, 2010, 11:12:44 pm »

Seems like a clothing bonanza - I managed to pick up an imaculate tails coat, about 1930 with two pairs of trousers for $90. Cheap for Canberra. That Rep sale sounded fantastic - well scored you lot!
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #764 on: June 30, 2010, 09:26:02 pm »

I found a wooden raquet in a container/dumpster. It is in an amazing condition (The grip and strings are pristine. The only little damage are some scratches from hitting the gravel), i can't believe why anyone would throw that away with a lot of debris from a thorough house cleanup.

It has one of the most elegant and simple logo and has a 50's 60's feel over it.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:28:54 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #765 on: July 01, 2010, 07:39:29 am »

Seems like a clothing bonanza - I managed to pick up an imaculate tails coat, about 1930 with two pairs of trousers for $90. Cheap for Canberra. That Rep sale sounded fantastic - well scored you lot!
*jealous*

Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #766 on: July 04, 2010, 09:09:26 am »

Green tweed jacket
Vintage Tailcoat
Military mens breeches
Brown waistcoat
Vintage fox fur stole
Victorian kitchen apron

- shirts without collars -

Lucky, lucky lass - I have been searching and searching but I cannot find one.

(Haven't got a size 42 for sale by any chance???)

Meanwhile I am resisting all temptation to attend and therefore purchase at flea markets , namely because:

1/. I am committed to the construction of the Gentleman's Grooming and Information Station (see my blog) in time for exhibition and that is taking up my flea market hunting time.

2/. Tanya and I will be in Paris in September, and I plan to spend up big at the flea markets there (did someone say 'shipping container'?)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 09:14:25 am by maduncle » Logged

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #767 on: July 04, 2010, 09:14:07 am »

Green tweed jacket
Vintage Tailcoat
Military mens breeches
Brown waistcoat
Vintage fox fur stole
Victorian kitchen apron

Lucky lucky lass - I ahve bee nsearching ans earching but I cannot find one.

(Haven't got a size 42 by any chance???)

Possibly, thats Mr C's size but I think he purchased by collar size, do you know what yours is?
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #768 on: July 04, 2010, 01:58:14 pm »

Green tweed jacket
Vintage Tailcoat
Military mens breeches
Brown waistcoat
Vintage fox fur stole
Victorian kitchen apron

Lucky lucky lass - I ahve bee nsearching ans earching but I cannot find one.

(Haven't got a size 42 by any chance???)

Possibly, thats Mr C's size but I think he purchased by collar size, do you know what yours is?

Shirts without collars purchased by collar size? Something doesn't quite sound right. xD

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #769 on: July 04, 2010, 02:19:30 pm »

Meanwhile I am resisting all temptation to attend and therefore purchase at flea markets , namely because:

1/. I am committed to the construction of the Gentleman's Grooming and Information Station (see my blog) in time for exhibition and that is taking up my flea market hunting time.

Sir, I have just been to your websitehttp://www.austeampunk.blogspot.com/ and was most impressed by the GGIS. Beautiful work.

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #770 on: July 04, 2010, 10:46:23 pm »

He's got some size 16 and a halfs, a 14 and some others that he cant remember off the top of his head...It was more a case of 'that looks about right' and grabbing the things Smiley
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #771 on: July 06, 2010, 12:23:54 pm »

Sir, I have just been to your websitehttp://www.austeampunk.blogspot.com/ and was most impressed by the GGIS. Beautiful work.

Thank you sir.

@ Darkshines - please miss, how do I measure my neck?

All I know is that I buy size 42 shirts because the collar size fits me.

I will get my lovely wife to wrap a tape measure around my neck (and promise not to then pull hard on both ends) and get back to you.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #772 on: July 06, 2010, 12:37:14 pm »

Thank you sir.

@ Darkshines - please miss, how do I measure my neck?

All I know is that I buy size 42 shirts because the collar size fits me.

I will get my lovely wife to wrap a tape measure around my neck (and promise not to then pull hard on both ends) and get back to you.

Update - @Darkshines - my neck is 15 inches in diameter, does that help with any collarless shirt stock?
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #773 on: July 06, 2010, 11:40:31 pm »

Possibly, possibly! The previous reply was from Mr C himself, if you PM Copperthwaite, he can tell you more Smiley
Dr. Roger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #774 on: July 07, 2010, 10:56:48 pm »

Want.

It is about 80 years old, made in Japan and currently sitting in an antique store in Adelaide with a $2000 price tag on it.

The dealer knows I want it so he will let me know if anyone else gets serious about it.

Now I just have to find the two grand, and find a way to justify spending two grand on a dentists machine when my wife has had to spent around five grand at the dentists.

Maybe I could learn how to use it and then save on dentists bills...

Hurry! To the Science!

Dr. Roger

Just because we are pirates does not mean we lack manners, we simply choose when and where to use them.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: