The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 19, 2019, 04:42:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 285691 times)
Strange-Sara
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #725 on: June 14, 2010, 10:45:45 pm »

Someone was offering 5 old typewriters...
Although, there is quite a bit of "clean up" and refurbishing needed before making them more presentable.

If you look in trading, there's a post about someone selling typewriter usb keyboard conversion kits.

"From my heart & from my hand, why don't people understand, my intentions...Weird Science."
Sulla
Snr. Officer

Full of steam, young in punk.

« Reply #726 on: June 15, 2010, 01:59:57 am »

Check out what I found at a huge flea market at the annual NMLRA spring shoot in Friendship, IN today for $35.  Sorry for the crappy pictures, took them with my cell phone..

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:35:23 am by Sulla » Logged

-Andy
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #727 on: June 15, 2010, 06:20:55 am »

That's awesome!!  Shocked Shocked

But you didn't buy it?  Huh
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #728 on: June 15, 2010, 12:55:59 pm »

PLEASE tell me you did buy it!

That is one of the better valve testing devices I have seen around.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Sulla
Snr. Officer

« Reply #729 on: June 15, 2010, 01:13:47 pm »

Alas, no I did not buy it.  I only had $20 in my pocket with the nearest ATM miles away and another $5 for parking were I to leave and come back, and I could not talk the guy down.  I went to sleep kicking myself for not getting it and woke up kicking myself about it.  I'm headed back in the Fall, and though chances are slim, I'll look for it again on his tables.
Sulla
Snr. Officer

« Reply #730 on: June 15, 2010, 01:29:16 pm »

I've been thinking about replicating it all night too...

Although, I did take tons of pictures of it and I am fairly confident I could replicate a facsimile.  I can get a piece of black acrylic laser etched, buy and/or custom make some knobs and tube connectors, buy some switches, and vac-form the gauge meter in the middle.  The graphics I can do in adobe illustrator.  The box is just wood.

I had this vision of using that box of gauges I got in a recent neighborhood sale, plopping some wonky round cornered magnifying view screen atop it on some copper pipes and make a steampunk viewing computer or something.

Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #731 on: June 15, 2010, 02:09:36 pm »

Sad You should have asked for his email address! Then you could have contacted him after the sale and said "Hey if you didn't sell that thing, I'd still really like to buy it."

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #732 on: June 15, 2010, 06:32:10 pm »

He didn't buy it.....

You could have talked him down, mentioning that all the tubes are missing and that they are probably never can be found again other than for galaxy amounts of money.
Sorry, i was a bit too hasty i thought it was a radio, but it is a tube testing apparatus. So the above picture is all for me, i guess.
Maybe you can get the info from the organization from the sale.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:13:51 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #733 on: June 16, 2010, 07:42:36 am »

Want.

It is about 80 years old, made in Japan and currently sitting in an antique store in Adelaide with a $2000 price tag on it.

The dealer knows I want it so he will let me know if anyone else gets serious about it.

Now I just have to find the two grand, and find a way to justify spending two grand on a dentists machine when my wife has had to spent around five grand at the dentists.

Maybe I could learn how to use it and then save on dentists bills...
Mr. Moonchylde
Officer

« Reply #734 on: June 17, 2010, 07:18:52 pm »

Check out what I found at a huge flea market at the annual NMLRA spring shoot in Friendship, IN today for $35.  Sorry for the crappy pictures, took them with my cell phone..

*snip*

I saw that same item yesterday, and sadly I too had no money to purchase it. If you can get the money up, the flea market runs through Sunday. I'd go back up and snag it, but I can't even afford food for the rest of the month...

Sigh...

@Endeavor Cull: I've been a regular at that flea market for years, and I know the vendor in question. You'd have a better chance of turning back the tides with a garden shovel then talking him down, especially if he thinks you're interested in something. He mostly specializes in insanely overpriced rusty farm tools that he sells to rich suburbanites as decorations.
arcwelder
Zeppelin Admiral

Reverse the polarity!

« Reply #735 on: June 17, 2010, 07:23:03 pm »

Somehow, I have my doubts as to whether she'd like that plan.

Mad repairman for the ship of the damned.

Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #736 on: June 17, 2010, 08:51:37 pm »

I can not recommend that.
My spouse was a dentist assistant for a year and a half and it turned out the dentists themselves are very strange (not in a good way) 'people'. (I believe they are alien).

Great contraption. That should be easy to build for less money.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #737 on: June 18, 2010, 01:53:52 am »

Somehow, I have my doubts as to whether she'd like that plan.

Probably true -

Perhaps I could turn it into the worlds biggest Deremel - the articulated drill arm moves so smoothly and is very well balanced.
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #738 on: June 18, 2010, 05:30:59 am »

do it

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
K. D. R. Tempus
Snr. Officer

What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #739 on: June 18, 2010, 07:39:42 pm »

Hello all. This isn't a new find; it came from a local second-hand shop (tragic story there), and I can't for the life of  me figure out what it is. DH suggested that in India they have such devices to hold rose water, but... It's nearly a foot tall. Any help would be appreciated.

'Arthur, you have no historical perspective. Science in those days worked in broad strokes. They got right to the point. Nowadays, it's all just molecule, molecule, molecule. Nothing ever happens big.' ~The Tick
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #740 on: June 18, 2010, 07:44:34 pm »

Looks like some sort of thurible to me.

Which my spellchecker tells me should be 'terrible'- perhaps it had a bad experience in church?

Wink

K. D. R. Tempus
Snr. Officer

What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #741 on: June 18, 2010, 09:17:42 pm »

Hmmm. That was my first thought, but a quick Google search showed thuribles that are mostly rounded with lots of holes for the incense to escape. Mine only has 4 small holes at the top.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #742 on: June 19, 2010, 04:07:00 am »

They are sold and used throughout the Middle East to hold various perfumed waters.  In Turkey it was lemon-scented water, all the time.  The scent of lemon-oil furniture cleaner can now bring back the oddest memory associations for me...

D'Oh!!!!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Miss Romwell
Snr. Officer

An aspidistra.

« Reply #743 on: June 20, 2010, 10:28:35 pm »

I agree that it looks like one of those Middle Eastern scented water sprinklers, though the prominent company name on it is rather random....I wonder, seeing as it's quite large, if it wasn't maybe used as a display item somewhere, like a chemists? Just a thought...

I had a find this week, and something like this hasn't come my way for a while. It's an 8in high Victorian blown glass footed dish, in the shape of a shell.

The shell part is engraved with grape vines, there's row of dots on the stem, and ivy around the foot. It's not totally perfect, there's a tiny nibble to one of the points, but considering how old and fragile it is, that's not bad.
It's a bit of a weird old thing, but I love it, and it was only £3.
RoseOak
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Romantic Zoologist

« Reply #744 on: June 20, 2010, 11:41:51 pm »

For the grand sum of 50 new pence I purchased this cigarette lighter from a village fete yesterday.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mécanisme
Deck Hand

Oh?

« Reply #745 on: June 20, 2010, 11:56:13 pm »

I was combing through a junk shop today and came across this:

The owner had a whole box of them (over about 40 of them total), but not actually owning a player, I bought one just for the curio value.

To the wind we go
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #746 on: June 21, 2010, 09:29:50 am »

You should have bought them all, we would have all bought them from you! I'd LOVE one!

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #747 on: June 21, 2010, 11:51:30 am »

Want.

It is about 80 years old, made in Japan and currently sitting in an antique store in Adelaide with a $2000 price tag on it.

The dealer knows I want it so he will let me know if anyone else gets serious about it.

Now I just have to find the two grand, and find a way to justify spending two grand on a dentists machine when my wife has had to spent around five grand at the dentists.

There are a set of books put out by the UN WHO with titles like "Where there is no Doctor", "Where there is no Women's Health". One of them is "Where there is no Dentist". Should be about US$12 on Amazon if you want to teach yourself.....

On a drive in the local countryside yesterday we stopped in a little country town wherein live some people I once worked with. In the window of the hairdresser's shop was a 1910 barber's chair. Red leather and brass. Being Sunday the shop was closed, but Lisa knows the owner, being a hairdresser herself, and she *thinks* she may be able to see if he's willing to part with it. Though it's mainly there to advertise that the shop is a hairdressers, but all of my bits are crossed hoping. It basically is the captain's chair on a Steam Trek vision...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:56:02 am by Prof Eumides Blakehurst » Logged

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #748 on: June 21, 2010, 08:03:37 pm »

I was combing through a junk shop today and came across this:

The owner had a whole box of them (over about 40 of them total), but not actually owning a player, I bought one just for the curio value.

WANT
Have they got the rolls inside too? BUY them instanter and I am confident lots of folks here will be interested to buy them off you.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #749 on: June 21, 2010, 08:59:39 pm »

While I was delivering some scrap metal and electronic stuff at the recycle merchant, I found this beautiful kerosene lamp.

It only costs me 5 euros. (that's about 6 usd) and the scrap metal was worth 20.
The glass is gone and the pump valve had all black goo in it so it was stuck. I cleaned it and put a new spring in it and that works very well again now. However I still can't light it. Maybe the nozzles are dirty also or the kerosine that was still in it is not right.
I have to do some research on the net, because i have never worked with such a lamp.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: