The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 15, 2019, 07:17:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 285583 times)
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #700 on: June 06, 2010, 12:01:00 am »

Okay, so here goes. I've poked around my books a bit and consulted a friend, who's a native arabic speaker:

The text is written in an old calligraphic style, in which letters connect differently, and is therefore a bit more difficult to read.
One part that we both clearly deciphered is "There is no God but Allah." There appears to be a "Muhammad", a word "Galal" which
means greatness and a word "khaleel" which can be translated as partner. Neither of us is entirely sure about these words, though,
because the text itself is difficult to read. It's fairly safe to assume (even though assumption is the mother of all f#@%-ups) that
the text in its entirety reads:

"There is only one God, Muhammad is his messenger, there are no other gods but Allah"

It's possible, though, that we're mistaken, due to above reasons, so as the Islamic scientists always conclude: God knows better.

Yeh, that's what I thought it probably said

Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #701 on: June 06, 2010, 05:49:20 am »

Okay, so here goes. I've poked around my books a bit and consulted a friend, who's a native arabic speaker:

The text is written in an old calligraphic style, in which letters connect differently, and is therefore a bit more difficult to read.
One part that we both clearly deciphered is "There is no God but Allah." There appears to be a "Muhammad", a word "Galal" which
means greatness and a word "khaleel" which can be translated as partner. Neither of us is entirely sure about these words, though,
because the text itself is difficult to read. It's fairly safe to assume (even though assumption is the mother of all f#@%-ups) that
the text in its entirety reads:

"There is only one God, Muhammad is his messenger, there are no other gods but Allah"

It's possible, though, that we're mistaken, due to above reasons, so as the Islamic scientists always conclude: God knows better.

Yeh, that's what I thought it probably said

Just thank goodness it doesn't say "Made in Birmingham. Patent Pending".  Grin

A most excellent find, will. May it bring you much joy.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Cpt Timothy Fairweather
Gunner

« Reply #702 on: June 06, 2010, 01:24:12 pm »

I should stop going to the car boot sale each Sunday til I've finished all my other projects. This morning turned up this Electrolux XII vacuum cleaner for the princely sum of £5.

A shame to hack in to an item with all it's original paperwork and accessories but it just keeps screaming 'Rocket Pack' at me. It is in a pretty poor state too. I think I'm still feeling guilty about the french horn.......
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #703 on: June 06, 2010, 10:16:05 pm »

I should stop going to the car boot sale each Sunday til I've finished all my other projects. This morning turned up this Electrolux XII vacuum cleaner for the princely sum of £5.

A shame to hack in to an item with all it's original paperwork and accessories but it just keeps screaming 'Rocket Pack' at me. It is in a pretty poor state too. I think I'm still feeling guilty about the french horn.......

You have two options, either anti-psychotics to help silence those voices in your head  - or you have to make a helmet to go with the rocket pack Smiley
Cpt Timothy Fairweather
Gunner

« Reply #704 on: June 06, 2010, 10:48:39 pm »

.....or you have to make a helmet to go with the rocket pack Smiley

Funny you should say that:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24444.0.html
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #705 on: June 06, 2010, 10:50:42 pm »

Well I didn't get anything at the car boot today (it was mainly stolen electrical goods, poorly made clothing and fruit) but on the way out, amoungst a pile of rubbish, I found an old suitcase, The hinges are buggered and the the leather edging is shot to pieces, but its been on a White Star ferry at some point in its life, and I couldn't bear to see it skipped!

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Cpt Timothy Fairweather
Gunner

« Reply #706 on: June 06, 2010, 11:02:34 pm »

Great find! I really like old leather suitcases, I have a pile of them that I use as a makeshift chest of draws. They are mostly too broken to be carried but just lying there they hold clothes fine. I took my good one on holiday once and the good chaps at the airport saw fit to tear it to pieces as they loaded it  Cry
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #707 on: June 07, 2010, 12:16:10 am »

Well I didn't get anything at the car boot today (it was mainly stolen electrical goods, poorly made clothing and fruit) but on the way out, amoungst a pile of rubbish, I found an old suitcase, The hinges are buggered and the the leather edging is shot to pieces, but its been on a White Star ferry at some point in its life, and I couldn't bear to see it skipped!

Pics please? Smiley *kitteh eyes* =^.^=

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #708 on: June 07, 2010, 07:37:55 pm »

I took some, but can't remember my photobucket password for some reason so I can't load them!

EDIT: Here we go!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:45:45 pm by darkshines » Logged
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #709 on: June 07, 2010, 10:28:05 pm »

Oh, it looks lovely Smiley A great find!
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #710 on: June 08, 2010, 07:09:07 am »

Fantastic Darkshines!!

It has been on such a ship.

What stories it could tell?!

Petty of the torn ticket on top though, but atleast the steam engine chimney is still visible.

Congratz!

BronzeGiant
Gunner

« Reply #711 on: June 08, 2010, 07:16:04 am »

it just keeps screaming 'Rocket Pack' at me.

Don't worry, it's screaming "Rocket Pack" to me too. Funny you should post that I was just thinking today that I oughta start looking for those types of vacuum cleaners just so I could build some Rocket Packs of my own...well, mine and Electrolux's, design.

Steve

It's better to be Savage than Super.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #712 on: June 08, 2010, 08:09:28 am »

Fantastic Darkshines!!

It has been on such a ship.

What stories it could tell?!

Petty of the torn ticket on top though, but atleast the steam engine chimney is still visible.

Congratz!

I think she will clean up lovely! Just need to replace the hinges, and do something about the dodgy rust coloured dusty shot leather trim.I'm thinking an afternoon in the garden with a wire brush and a gask mask, haha!
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #713 on: June 08, 2010, 12:22:11 pm »

Wow! Fantastic score and save.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #714 on: June 08, 2010, 08:43:16 pm »

I found a list of all the White star line fleet.

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/whitestar.html

and a site that has passenger-lists:

http://www.gjenvick.com/PassengerLists/CunardWhiteStar-AllPassengerLists.html

History is going to live like this!  Smiley
Miss Romwell
Snr. Officer

An aspidistra.

« Reply #715 on: June 08, 2010, 08:53:51 pm »

Ooh, Darkshines, that case has a lovely lining. Superb find! Smiley
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #716 on: June 09, 2010, 08:36:48 am »

Not sure what to do with them, but I found 20 sheets of clear mica, sizes up to 6 X 6 inches
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #717 on: June 09, 2010, 09:23:55 am »

Mica is very heat resistant and is the best natural electric charge isolator. I bet you come up with an idea before the end of the day.  Cheesy
Sitizen Cane
Snr. Officer
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #718 on: June 12, 2010, 09:21:52 pm »

If you consider gumtree a fleamarket of sorts, then this can be termed a "flea market" find...

Someone was offering 5 old typewriters for R 500 (about 50 euros) for the lot, and I asked if I could purchase just one.  Had no response for a week, and then eventually the lady emailed me and said.. that if I still wanted them, that I could come collect them all.  FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!...

Needless to say, within an hour, hopped in my car, and picked em all up!

Here are the 3 that have "steamy" potential

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Although, there is quite a bit of "clean up" and refurbishing needed before making them more presentable.

Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #719 on: June 12, 2010, 10:01:27 pm »

People are strange now and then.  Huh

Very good bargain. Congratulations!
Mardigan
Gunner

« Reply #720 on: June 14, 2010, 10:30:13 am »

Lucky gent!  The keys on those alone are a wonderful find.

Captain Rupert H. Mardigan, intrepid adventurer extraordinaire, at your service!
Der Tinkermann
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

keeper of scapegoats,sitting ducks,and black sheep

brosiman
« Reply #721 on: June 14, 2010, 06:33:21 pm »

Good deal!But I'd recommend not to be tempted to wreck all the typewriters for their keys.........
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #722 on: June 14, 2010, 06:45:45 pm »

Good deal!But I'd recommend not to be tempted to wreck all the typewriters for their keys.........

Especially not that Smith Premier; typewriters tend to not be high-dollar items, but the Smith Premiers were being sought by collectors, back when I used to be into the typewriter-collecting vein (yes, people really do collect them).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #723 on: June 14, 2010, 07:45:14 pm »

That's an awesome deal, going from R500 to free Grin
Sitizen Cane
Snr. Officer
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #724 on: June 14, 2010, 08:26:46 pm »

Was actually going to try my hand at "cleaning and restoring", but these look like at least 4 months work each...minimum.
Alternatively, I can sell one or 2 of them, and use the cash for more Steampunk goodies...but that doesnt seem as rewarding though...
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: