The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 17, 2019, 06:15:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 285632 times)
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #675 on: May 26, 2010, 06:54:56 pm »

This isn't exactly a flea market find, but today the library at the school where I work cleaned out their witchcraft section.  I got 2 big boxes of free books.  I just needed to gloat.  Smiley

If you got any Gardner or Buckland, consider yourself lucky. Especially if you got the first (1980s) edition of Buckland's big blue.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #676 on: May 26, 2010, 08:27:13 pm »

Well done Dr Celsius

Geoff of the blind faith
Deck Hand
United States United States

when in doubt, it can be blown up or taken apart

« Reply #677 on: May 27, 2010, 03:15:20 am »

I found both the flashlight and the stock at the San Diego swap meet

Did you hear, they are saying absinthe is bad for you now!? Ha! what an imagination the press have in these days...
LillysWorkshop
Officer

lillysworkshop
« Reply #678 on: May 27, 2010, 09:29:59 am »

It's not steampunk, but I found a Korean War Air Force cap at the North Las Vegas flea market. I also got a dozen wonderfully weathered old tools for a project I'm working on.

Strange-Sara
Snr. Officer

« Reply #679 on: May 27, 2010, 11:44:39 am »

Especially if you got the first (1980s) edition of Buckland's big blue.

You must be joking....  Buckland's Big Blue Book of Bippity Boppity Boo?  Possibly the worst witchcraft book ever.  That book is why no one respects Wicca. 

There's (along with a bunch of less interesting stuff)  a 1st edition Witch Cult in Western Europe, several history books on the Salem Witch Trials, and  Ritual Magic by Butler.  I love that book enough that I already had a copy, but now I have an extra for passing around.

"From my heart & from my hand, why don't people understand, my intentions...Weird Science."
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #680 on: May 27, 2010, 12:38:17 pm »

You must be joking....  Buckland's Big Blue Book of Bippity Boppity Boo?  Possibly the worst witchcraft book ever.  That book is why no one respects Wicca. 

There's (along with a bunch of less interesting stuff)  a 1st edition Witch Cult in Western Europe, several history books on the Salem Witch Trials, and  Ritual Magic by Butler.  I love that book enough that I already had a copy, but now I have an extra for passing around.

Buckland can be full of crap sometimes, but there's some practical stuff in the first edition of big blue that wasn't included in later editions.
Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #681 on: May 27, 2010, 02:14:16 pm »

Buckland can be full of crap sometimes, but there's some practical stuff in the first edition of big blue that wasn't included in later editions.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure this is why no one respects the craft anymore:

http://www.amazon.com/SpellCraft-Teens-Magickal-Writing-Casting/dp/0738702250/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274965830&sr=1-8

XD 

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
Slackratchet
Gunner

« Reply #682 on: June 03, 2010, 12:21:26 am »

I imagine it wouldn't thrill most people but the local thrift store had some old kick plates for 5$. Essentially two 1' x 3' sheets of 16 gauge brass. How could I pass that up?

... takes the path of most resistance.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #683 on: June 03, 2010, 05:53:58 am »

I imagine it wouldn't thrill most people but the local thrift store had some old kick plates for 5$. Essentially two 1' x 3' sheets of 16 gauge brass. How could I pass that up?

Personally I'd be thrilled to bits. Good find.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #684 on: June 03, 2010, 07:12:40 pm »

Personally I'd be thrilled to bits. Good find.
Ditto. I need some smallish brass plates not too thick and its surprisingly not so easy to find something suitable

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #685 on: June 03, 2010, 10:30:55 pm »

I believe I would contemplate mayhem to acquire those brass sheets!

Ditto. I need some smallish brass plates not too thick and its surprisingly not so easy to find something suitable

What are your needs? I may be able to help out.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #686 on: June 03, 2010, 11:06:26 pm »

found this old pepper grinder for 50 cents. It has Arabic markings on it and would make a great SP part, but I'm not sure I want to cut it up.

LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #687 on: June 03, 2010, 11:38:10 pm »

Any chance you could provide pics of the entire inscription ? Smiley
Lord Jeffreys
Snr. Officer

« Reply #688 on: June 04, 2010, 12:22:12 am »

I believe it's a Turkish coffee grinder, but most people use them as pepper mills. They can be fairly costly in stores, nice find!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #689 on: June 04, 2010, 12:19:36 pm »

I agree with Lord Jeffries, keep the grinder as a grinder Will - too valuable and too nice looking as is to modify.

It might make good coffee grounds too.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #690 on: June 04, 2010, 01:15:52 pm »

Any chance you could provide pics of the entire inscription ? Smiley

I "unrolled" the inscriptions by rolling it across my scanner. It would be great to know what it says, though my guess is "God is Great"

LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #691 on: June 04, 2010, 02:28:15 pm »

It's definitely not the takbir (Allahu akbaru) -> الله أكبر

I'll consult my books and my friend and get back to you Smiley
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #692 on: June 04, 2010, 03:02:34 pm »

It's definitely not the takbir (Allahu akbaru) -> الله أكبر

I'll consult my books and my friend and get back to you Smiley

Thanks so much, I'm very interested in knowing what it says. This is definitely a Turkish coffee grinder, when I Google the phrase I find pictures of others similar to mine. I even tried grinding some coffee in it - think I'll stick to my electric grinder. I guess this would be a handy thing to pack on your camel.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #693 on: June 04, 2010, 03:05:56 pm »

It's very possible that the takbir is *part* of the inscription, but there's too much text for it to be takbir alone. Smiley

Any chance you could also take a series of pics ? Might be a bit easier to read. Smiley
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #694 on: June 04, 2010, 04:17:59 pm »

It's very possible that the takbir is *part* of the inscription, but there's too much text for it to be takbir alone. Smiley

Any chance you could also take a series of pics ? Might be a bit easier to read. Smiley

Here's a better image, enhanced and cropped to avoid repetition. I don't think I could get images better than this

LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #695 on: June 04, 2010, 07:33:36 pm »

Nice Smiley I see 'akbaru' on left side, will consult a friend later in the evening. Smiley

Edit: Could you snap a couple of pics too ? Smiley As in, the thing standing up, just rotated differently ?
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #696 on: June 04, 2010, 10:42:58 pm »

Nice Smiley I see 'akbaru' on left side, will consult a friend later in the evening. Smiley

Edit: Could you snap a couple of pics too ? Smiley As in, the thing standing up, just rotated differently ?

Hope these help

Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #697 on: June 05, 2010, 04:40:56 am »

Are you sure that's akbar on it? It looks more like it has the two dots to make it akiir, but that doesn't mean anything I know. I think the word before it is mudiir.

Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #698 on: June 05, 2010, 04:52:16 am »

Are you sure that's akbar on it? It looks more like it has the two dots to make it akiir, but that doesn't mean anything I know. I think the word before it is mudiir.

quite possible, my eyesight's not what it used to be. o_o;
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #699 on: June 05, 2010, 09:15:03 pm »

Okay, so here goes. I've poked around my books a bit and consulted a friend, who's a native arabic speaker:

The text is written in an old calligraphic style, in which letters connect differently, and is therefore a bit more difficult to read.
One part that we both clearly deciphered is "There is no God but Allah." There appears to be a "Muhammad", a word "Galal" which
means greatness and a word "khaleel" which can be translated as partner. Neither of us is entirely sure about these words, though,
because the text itself is difficult to read. It's fairly safe to assume (even though assumption is the mother of all f#@%-ups) that
the text in its entirety reads:

"There is only one God, Muhammad is his messenger, there are no other gods but Allah"

It's possible, though, that we're mistaken, due to above reasons, so as the Islamic scientists always conclude: God knows better.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: