The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2019, 11:16:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 284981 times)
LillysWorkshop
Officer
United States United States

lillysworkshop
« Reply #650 on: May 02, 2010, 08:26:27 pm »

Fantastic finds Endeavour Cull, and I loved hearing about Queen's day in the Netherlands. I just looked it up; wish we had something like that in the states!

Laserpunk
Officer

Rogue Laser Enthusiast

« Reply #651 on: May 03, 2010, 09:18:34 pm »

Found these at the flea market last weekend.

100v-600v GE voltmeter cir 1910.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Old Western Electric 302 "Lucy" phone for around 1945-1955.

Pile of vacuum tubes/valves

Anyone know what this is? I know it goes to an old radio, or other type installment that uses vacuum tubes. I cant find anything on the web.

Also got some other goodies I wont post here right now. Think robotics and brass. MUHhahaha
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:23:52 pm by Laserpunk » Logged

Don't be proud of something you bought, be proud of something you built.

Companies I personally endorse for lasers, and accessories. Don't get ripped off on eBay.

www.O-like.com www.rayfoss.com www.dragonlasers.com www.optotronics.com

For parts, diodes and modules http://www.modwerx.com/
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #652 on: May 03, 2010, 09:35:23 pm »

Nice finds! Especially the tubes.

The last one is a tuning coil for a radio: http://www.arcsandsparks.com/singleregenerative.html

I searched on 'early radio' for this site.

I also searched on: 'vintage radio', '19th century radio' and 'foxhole radio' , but those didn't give the desired picture.
Dinjiveillian
Gunner

Damn the air kraken, full steam ahead!

« Reply #653 on: May 03, 2010, 09:39:05 pm »

Here is a wrench that I could not pass up.

Guns don't kill people, maneuvers do... - Eddie Izzard
C12H22O11+HCl=C6H12O6+ Cheesy
Laserpunk
Officer

Rogue Laser Enthusiast

« Reply #654 on: May 03, 2010, 10:02:06 pm »

Nice finds! Especially the tubes.

The last one is a tuning coil for a radio: http://www.arcsandsparks.com/singleregenerative.html

I searched on 'early radio' for this site.

I also searched on: 'vintage radio', '19th century radio' and 'foxhole radio' , but those didn't give the desired picture.

Ah, thank you very much for the effort, and info!
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #655 on: May 04, 2010, 09:22:58 am »

Found these at the flea market last weekend.

100v-600v GE voltmeter cir 1910.

Pile of vacuum tubes/valves

*Makes grabby motions*

Nice haul there!

Anyone know what this is? I know it goes to an old radio, or other type installment that uses vacuum tubes. I cant find anything on the web.

It is indeed from a radio. The heart of a radio is  a capacitor and an inductor (coil) and the value of the capacitance and inductance gives the frequency that the circuit (fed by the antenna) will resonate at. In order to tune the radio you need to be able to change either the capacitance or the inductance or both.

Variable capacitators are the easiest and every radio will have one. They allow you to scan smoothly around the central frequency set by the inductor.

But in order to really change bands (think AM >> MW >> SW >> FM band, ignoring the fact that FM is a different type of modulation for the moment) you need to change the inductor. What you have is a plug and play inductor. Pull it out and swap in another one and you change band.

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
Miss Romwell
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

An aspidistra.

« Reply #656 on: May 04, 2010, 09:31:43 pm »

Old phone cir 1935

Oh, nice Bakelite phone! I see the flex is a later replacement, so I guess someone's reconditioned it at some point, do you know if it works?
There are a few places online that sell spares and replacement parts, if you wanted to try and replace the dial centre, as well as image files that let you print out correct, period style, replacement dial centre inserts. Smiley
Laserpunk
Officer

Rogue Laser Enthusiast

« Reply #657 on: May 04, 2010, 10:22:26 pm »

Oh, nice Bakelite phone! I see the flex is a later replacement, so I guess someone's reconditioned it at some point, do you know if it works?
There are a few places online that sell spares and replacement parts, if you wanted to try and replace the dial centre, as well as image fles that let you print out correct, period style, replacement dial centre inserts. Smiley

Upon investigating I unearth that its a Western Electric 302 "Lucy" phone for around 1945-1955.

You read my mind. I downloaded the older number pad design. No, I have not hooked it up yet. I will do it this week and report back. If it works I'll get the number plate.

I didnt post the pictures, but I also bought a pile of stuff from a guy who worked for a company that built robotics. I bought some old switches, instrument lens, and a large brass hydraulic actuator I'll be making into a steam gun. I wish I had the extra money to buy a pile of stuff from him. He was selling thousand dollar parts for $10. Truly a once in a life time opportunity for someone who would know what to do with the parts.

I have a rather large pile of tubes/valves now. Do you think people would buy them here? I also have some red cedar project boxes. They are dovetailed, and finished in a golden reddish tone.
Laserpunk
Officer

Rogue Laser Enthusiast

« Reply #658 on: May 06, 2010, 11:33:52 pm »

Update: Got the phone working, and it sounds great. The ring brings me back to when I was a kid. No I'm not as old as the phone LOL, but the '70s phones used the same brass belles. I just ordered the number plate.
Miss Romwell
Snr. Officer

An aspidistra.

« Reply #659 on: May 07, 2010, 03:50:25 pm »

Update: Got the phone working, and it sounds great. The ring brings me back to when I was a kid. No I'm not as old as the phone LOL, but the '70s phones used the same brass belles. I just ordered the number plate.

Fantastic! Cheesy
I hope it brings you many hours of communication pleasure!

Was it actually in working order, or was some fixing involved?
Laserpunk
Officer

Rogue Laser Enthusiast

« Reply #660 on: May 07, 2010, 03:58:25 pm »

Fantastic! Cheesy
I hope it brings you many hours of communication pleasure!

Was it actually in working order, or was some fixing involved?

It didn't have a cord, so I was a little skeptical. It was only $10 so I figured I didn't have much to lose. I looked up the wiring diagram, hooked up a cord, and it fired right up.
Miss Romwell
Snr. Officer

An aspidistra.

« Reply #661 on: May 10, 2010, 05:27:59 pm »

Indeed, you take a chance with those sorts of items bought 'as seen'. $10, though, is a bargain by anyone's measure.

Apart from a few good, mod-able, clothes, I've not had much luck in the junk shops of late. Sad
Ex Libris
Officer

Fine Automatons & Mechanical Assistants

« Reply #662 on: May 13, 2010, 04:39:37 am »

In one fell swoop...these items presented themselves in the most unlikely place for a mere pittance...

An old Autoharp that makes the most amazing sounds when tapped with...

...these brass-tipped wooden "bobbins" from an old textile mill.

Old telephone operator headsets (3)

Assorted brassy bits...

And this mystery was too pretty to leave.  And I later figured out that it was a...

...TOASTER!

Wait till you see what I do with these!!1 (hint: not making toast).

Ex Libris
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #663 on: May 13, 2010, 10:23:19 am »

I want one of those toasters!  Cool

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #664 on: May 13, 2010, 10:53:15 am »

That's what I call a satisfying shopping trip, I also want the toaster.

Ex Libris
Officer

Fine Automatons & Mechanical Assistants

« Reply #665 on: May 15, 2010, 12:54:18 am »

This toaster, rocks.  The elegant details on the top (not shown) are so classic - I'm not modding this, but am building it INTO my new SP Automaton for D*C.  It will hold Tarot Cards perfectly.  For the record, most of those items were UNDER something else - so if you're thrift/flea shopping...it pays to look beneath, behind and inside.... Wink
Ex

greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #666 on: May 16, 2010, 10:55:01 pm »

To cheer myself up (my dad died this week) I went to the wonderfully friendly wee shop near my dad's house: Eclectica on London's Wandsworth road. I bought a tiny metal oil bottle. It is about an inch wide and 4 inches tall with a long knurled screw-on lid. It has no dropper or nozzle and I am not sure what it could have come from but suspect it must have been part of a maintenance kit, say for a gun or a bike.

I have cleaned it up and it will go on my chatelaine in due course.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #667 on: May 17, 2010, 01:17:18 am »

I turned up a small bargain at the weekend - a pair of black thick canvas gaiters with leather straps (in reasonably good nick) for $2. They even fit (mostly - I have monster calves).

My condolences to you and your family, Greensteam.

Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy
Lord Jeffreys
Snr. Officer

« Reply #668 on: May 22, 2010, 07:16:26 am »

Found this today at the local Goodwill store for 2 bucks. I don't know what it is, it was in the kitchen utensil area. Seems to be a press or extruder. Perhaps a pasta extruder (?) I've been slowly collecting odds and ends to be creative with and I thought this had some potential.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:20:19 am by Lord Jeffreys » Logged
Moonracer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #669 on: May 22, 2010, 10:02:43 am »

Found this today at the local Goodwill store for 2 bucks. I don't know what it is, it was in the kitchen utensil area. Seems to be a press or extruder. Perhaps a pasta extruder (?) I've been slowly collecting odds and ends to be creative with and I thought this had some potential.

Not positive but I think its a cookie press for making spritz/butter cookies.

The mind is like a parachute, its best when open.
Sulla
Snr. Officer

Full of steam, young in punk.

« Reply #670 on: May 23, 2010, 02:08:20 am »

We decided to take our daughter out for a ride in her wagon today to find our neighborhood was having a sale.  Two hours later I came home with some computer speakers and a box full of goodies:

-Andy
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #671 on: May 23, 2010, 08:25:06 am »

A good box of goodies there Sulla - I covet the item in your hand somewhat.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Dr Celsius
Snr. Officer

« Reply #672 on: May 26, 2010, 02:01:44 am »

Here's my latest haul from the local Swap Meet in San Diego. Everything pictured was a total of $16.

Dr Celsius

Miss Romwell
Snr. Officer

An aspidistra.

« Reply #673 on: May 26, 2010, 04:56:48 pm »

Is the item on the left a massive jack? If it is, what a whopper!  Smiley
Strange-Sara
Snr. Officer

« Reply #674 on: May 26, 2010, 06:13:03 pm »

This isn't exactly a flea market find, but today the library at the school where I work cleaned out their witchcraft section.  I got 2 big boxes of free books.  I just needed to gloat.  Smiley

"From my heart & from my hand, why don't people understand, my intentions...Weird Science."
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: