The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 13, 2019, 10:32:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 284759 times)
Sotaren
Deck Hand
Sweden Sweden

BloodandSteam
« Reply #625 on: April 24, 2010, 12:01:28 pm »

I hope you know the nautical timekeeping convention with the bells? See a partial explanation at http://www.horology-stuff.com/time/bells.html

Important that bell is rung in pairs: dingding ding for 3 bells and so on.

Call your family/housemates to dinner with the right number of bells!

Thank you for the link! I knew of the ringing of the bell with the four hour watch. Was unfamiliar with the actual technique with the ringing every half hour and the pair ringing. Now I can work this into my book. I stand in gratitude.
Polaris
Snr. Officer
United States United States

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #626 on: April 24, 2010, 01:26:33 pm »

No pictures at the moment, But yesterday I walked into a really run down antique shop near my new house and found a pair of 1920's spats in impecable condition. They were $35 and when I asked the owner about them he said they'd been sitting there for almost 10 years now and gave them to me for $5. XD

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #627 on: April 24, 2010, 06:59:31 pm »

Today's finds
Dinner gong, hearth brush (the tube with the handle), small barometer and a strange rod.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #628 on: April 24, 2010, 11:07:05 pm »

Old Esso Blue paraffin can for £7.50 from the Britannia Panopticon charity shop clearance sale. i think about 1 gallon, with an original label and the Esso Blue logo. I plan to turn this into my bedside light.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #629 on: April 25, 2010, 08:55:30 am »

Old Esso Blue paraffin can for £7.50 from the Britannia Panopticon charity shop clearance sale. i think about 1 gallon, with an original label and the Esso Blue logo. I plan to turn this into my bedside light.

That does sound like quite a find. If you were so interested, petrol cans and the like such as yours can go for some big bucks at autojumbles, the right kind of shop etc. I think you may have grabbed a damned good bargain Smiley

EDIT: That was Cowperthwaite.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 03:03:32 pm by darkshines » Logged

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #630 on: April 25, 2010, 02:53:49 pm »

We went to the Black Market in Melbourne today, a mega-size goth community "garage sale" hidden down the end of dead-end streets between the houses and Merri Creek. I was the only steampunk/Victoriana person that I saw but I got a few compliments and noticed that a few pieces of SP-themed jewelry was for sale.

I am not one for buying stuff. That is normally left to my wife. However, today I managed to pick up a celtic-style broach for next to nothing and a cheap thingy out of cogs and icypole sticks. Thanks to my wife's good eyesight (bless her) I got a rusty ship's lantern (at least I think that is what it is).
Now I just have to decide whether I am going to clean it.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #631 on: April 25, 2010, 04:14:31 pm »

If I may give you my opinion?......Don't clean. it has a whole life behind it and otherwise it will look as if it's newly bought in the shop.
It is an amazing structure!
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #632 on: April 25, 2010, 08:10:04 pm »

Sorontar, Although I've no idea what it is, it's very desirable, And I'm with Endeavour Cull, don't clean it.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #633 on: April 25, 2010, 10:47:39 pm »

We went to the Black Market in Melbourne today, a mega-size goth community "garage sale" hidden down the end of dead-end streets between the Thanks to my wife's good eyesight (bless her) I got a rusty ship's lantern (at least I think that is what it is).

I worked on ships and would have to say I have never seen the like. As it seems to have gimbles, the maritime origin does seem likely and I wonder if it hung on a buoy perhaps. It is in any case most remarkable and probably more fun in the used-look than cleaned up.
Alice Weatherlight
Deck Hand

« Reply #634 on: April 26, 2010, 01:56:39 am »

Now I just have to decide whether I am going to clean it.

I wouldn't clean it for two reasons. Cleaning generally depreciates value of antique finds and takes away the personal history of the item. Sure, if you wish it to be a steamy prop, you can make your own actual story for the item, but, without a bit of wear and tear, it just isn't as believable. Right now, this thing has a unique sort of look that says, "I've been there and done that long before anyone ever dreamed of putting a dang-blasted t-shirt stand there."

A downright marvelous find indeed.

This weekend's scouring turned up a very nifty fire extinguisher and a truly huge flask. Sadly, the gent with the fire extinguisher couldn't be talked down from a ridiculous selling price. However, the flask was already at such a great selling price that I didn't even bother trying to haggle down. It's an evaporating flask standing at least 14" tall. Awesome cool thing, even if all it does is loom imposingly amid my terrariums and beside the snake tank.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #635 on: April 26, 2010, 08:02:49 am »

I said ship's lantern for three reasons - 1) that was what the seller called it, though I can't say I felt they were sure about it, 2) its geostability due to the rings (gimbals you say Greensteam?) and 3) it seems to have in its center a flask large enough to hold some oil (or its like) and have two tubes down into it. I presume that a wick would go in one. I have no idea of its age or place of origin. As you say, I might have to invent one. At the moment it is sitting on a shelf beside me in front of my Tolkien collection.

Sorontar
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #636 on: April 26, 2010, 11:30:50 am »

I found a similar one (sort of), but then there has been made art with it.

http://electronicsculpture.com/sculptures/ball_and_chain/ballnchn.htm

If your not sure you can send a picture to a maritime museum. I think they will be very helpful with that since there is not much to find on the WWW and they like to share their knowledge.

It is even in Heraldy:
"Lantern ~ light, life and spirituality, one who is watchful or who gave the signal in time of danger
Ship's Lantern ~ meaning uncertain

Image courtesy James Parker"

http://www.scottish-wedding-dreams.com/heraldic-symbols.html
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:42:42 am by Endeavour Cull » Logged
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #637 on: April 26, 2010, 12:56:59 pm »

This weekend I was delighted to find a brass Van Cort kaleidoscope at a yard sale, and bought it for $5. These are serious instruments, no broken glass inside, the images are quite sublime and beautiful

Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #638 on: April 26, 2010, 01:17:40 pm »

Excellent find Will. what a bargain.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #639 on: April 27, 2010, 07:23:22 am »

Will - I love that!

Never see none like it and now I am determined to find one.

You lucky blighter!

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #640 on: April 27, 2010, 10:15:49 am »

That's indeed a splendid find!

Are those glass beads inside?
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #641 on: April 27, 2010, 11:15:48 am »

it looks like it's filled with glass shapes, but none of them have broken edges. I found a website for the company here
http://www.creative-resource.com/newhomepage.htm
eruannu
Snr. Officer

« Reply #642 on: April 27, 2010, 08:05:21 pm »

found this at the flea market for 12 the the other day and after oiling it works  better than a new one

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.” Nikola Tesla
Miss Romwell
Snr. Officer

An aspidistra.

« Reply #643 on: April 27, 2010, 10:07:43 pm »

@Sorontar

Yes, it's a gimbaled ships lantern. Very difficult to date, they were made for a very long period of time in that sort of design, but that one looks like it's probably Victorian. They're for use anywhere where there going to be rocked about. Very collectable, but whatever you do, don't clean it!
A great find, I'd be chuffed to bits if I came across one. Smiley

@WillRockwell

You paid $5 for that? O.O
Wow.....you lucky man, you!
Sir L. Cuilein
Officer

Colonel Sir L. Cuilein Kings Royal Elite (Ret.)

« Reply #644 on: April 27, 2010, 10:19:39 pm »

It is a fancy lantern...

http://www.huntforantiques.com/product_info.php/cPath/84_141/products_id/844?osCsid=b926785ddcd2a896d449818d338ff8ca

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
–Winston Churchill
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #645 on: April 28, 2010, 01:28:48 am »

Wow! Thanks for everyone's comments and finding the info for me. I was having no luck in my own endeavours.

And I'll take your advice and leave it rusty, old and having history.

Sorontar
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #646 on: April 30, 2010, 10:31:27 am »

Found this in a charity shop yesterday, it's old, brass and about 10 1/2 inches tall
cptn. C
Snr. Officer

« Reply #647 on: May 01, 2010, 08:19:58 am »

about 2 or 3  weeks ago was the bi-annual Antique Alley hear in Texas i found a gas mask for $10 the guy i but it from thought that it was from ww2 its a USN U ND MARK IV i figured it wouldn't take that much to steam up. ill put picks up as soon as i figure out how

if you don't live for something, you die for nothing
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #648 on: May 01, 2010, 01:58:44 pm »

Wow! Thanks for everyone's comments and finding the info for me. I was having no luck in my own endeavours.

And I'll take your advice and leave it rusty, old and having history.

Sorontar

I think the reason I am still unsure about its supposed maritime origins is the lack of glass or any obvious location for glass. Without such shielding, any flame would go out very soon, either due to sind or rain. Does anyone think there might be some other lantern that sits inside the the structure?

It occurs to me that it might be an anchor light. These are the single white lights that have to be hung at the front of the ship when she is at anchor. White light at night, and black ball in the day. So with the thing you have, assuming a lantern can be secured inside and protected from the weather, the outer shape of metal bars could act as the black ball in the day withouth having to take it down and change it over.
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #649 on: May 01, 2010, 03:36:03 pm »

Yesterday we had Queens day. The birthday of the queen (actually her Mothers). At this day everyone who likes it can sit on the sidewalk and sell whatever they want. Anything that is found on attics, barns, sheds, childrenrooms etc is sold then. This is in every village or town in Holland.
So here's my catch:

A nice case of Linguaphone. This is going to house my Sounlab minisynth. A semi modular syntheziser.

It even has a hidden drawer for the gramophone needles, i think. Ear protectors made of cotton and wax are more appropriate when my Soundlab is used.  Wink Grin

A sturdy small oillamp. Very heavy and massive brass for it's size.

And of coarse the odd gauge:

And not very SP related:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 03:45:42 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: