The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 08, 2019, 03:24:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 286200 times)
Guyver
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

If you need me, I'll be in the lab.

« Reply #575 on: April 03, 2010, 10:32:06 pm »

Had a little outing to a local flea market and was lucky to stumble upon this jem. I am pondering the idea of removing the blade and replacing it with a pistol barrel.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"If I get kicked out of con for shooting a NERF gun I'm stabbing someone with a toaster!"
Hail Bedlam.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #576 on: April 04, 2010, 02:31:57 am »

Had a little outing to a local flea market and was lucky to stumble upon this jem. I am pondering the idea of removing the blade and replacing it with a pistol barrel.

If you can bring yourself to modify it then - I agree, add a barrel. As long as it is longer than what it is now (with a realy long telescopic sight on the top).

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Guyver
Zeppelin Captain

If you need me, I'll be in the lab.

« Reply #577 on: April 04, 2010, 03:11:46 am »

If you can bring yourself to modify it then - I agree, add a barrel. As long as it is longer than what it is now (with a realy long telescopic sight on the top).

I am going to keep it so it can be a pistol cane. So the handle part will not be changed (other than some aging) and it will still go in the cane.
Here is the aging i did to the grip.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #578 on: April 04, 2010, 08:13:37 am »

Nice work - what did you use?
Outflyer_Calliope
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ashamed by my own magnificence

« Reply #579 on: April 04, 2010, 04:51:27 pm »

I must say... very impressive finds.
I am currently seeking assistance in the procurement of components, constituents and fragments of automated mechanisms, in the Surrey/ London area.
Having conducted a number of excursions to try and obtain objects suitable for my own creations, I have come up lacking compared to some of the lucky individuals appearing here.

I was of the notion that perhaps there is some secret location, a ‘holy grail of the Babbage’, that I have not previously been aware of, nor privy to visit.
If there are persons, either in or familiar with the area, who would be so kind as to impart their knowledge of such places upon me, I would not only be genuinely indebted, but would invite them to take part in my next expedition, and perhaps a spot of tea.

A beautiful piece of nonsense...
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #580 on: April 04, 2010, 05:37:35 pm »

Ms Calliope,
there's no secret, or at least not one that I'm privy to. It's a gruelling trek  to every charity shop, junk shop (not many left), antiques market, car boot sale or jumble sale that you can find. Then it's an exhausting trawl through every thing on the premises, especially boxes of supposed junk, and a keen eye, not for what the object in front of you is, but what it could become.

LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #581 on: April 04, 2010, 08:04:57 pm »

Ms Calliope,

ain't your sig pic a wee bit too big? Smiley

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Outflyer_Calliope
Snr. Officer

« Reply #582 on: April 04, 2010, 09:13:37 pm »

@LukeHogbin I find big things are usually better (for example: guns, adventure, hats, etc)...besides it is a very large plane and I would hate to do the people of this fine forum and injustice by minimizing it's true glory to mere pixilated nothingness. However, one does not wish to cause plane envy among her fellows.
I do apologize if the size of my airplane offends, but i'm sure, given time, you will find a spot in your heart large enough to fit both myself and Jackdaw.  Kiss

@Kevin C Cooper Esq: Don't I know it. It appears as if the muse of invention requires a hand written invitation, as my luck in the past has only been so kind as to present me with rude 'antique' dealers, and over priced knick knacks far from the budget of a low waged worker such as myself. oh, well... If there is no list of  secretive 'places of lost junk' that I am not already aware of, perhaps it is my appraoch that needs
work.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:45:27 pm by Outflyer_Calliope » Logged
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #583 on: April 05, 2010, 09:14:25 am »

@Miss Caliope -

Were you to describe the parts you seek - we of the forum may collectively be able to direct you to appropriate parts sources.

Quite often the part you seek is hidden not in an obsure store but an obsure use.

LillysWorkshop
Officer

lillysworkshop
« Reply #584 on: April 05, 2010, 10:35:44 am »

Went to the North Las Vegas flea market last week and it was awesome. The whole place has a post-apocalyptic bartertown feel to it (in a good way).

My girlfriend ended up with a pair of goggles and a metal gold belt. I got a ball-peen hammer with a wood shaft for shaping metal. We also discovered the best Boba Tea in Vegas in a tiny Chinese food hut.

greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #585 on: April 05, 2010, 05:24:14 pm »

I have been awanting a chatelaine and was ecstatic to find these otherwise tacky items in the charity shop near me at £1.50:

The necklace of  chains of different kinds and of some vile alloy is unbelievably horrible and the brass tie-pin is more or less in the form of a hair grip, but no matter.

On, on and a few odds and ends from the many boxes of this and that in the house and TRA-LA!

A reasonably serviceable chatelaine. Here is a the detail of the top part - I am holding the tie-pin bit which will clip to my skirt band:

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #586 on: April 06, 2010, 11:17:07 am »

Went to a large flea market/collectables sale yesterday, overall very disappointing. Only 2 stalls where I bought anything but pleased with my purchases.

I believe it may be a Victorian field microscope?

5 for £10 a bargain or what?

A couple of gas fittings and part of a lamp.

No idea what this is, it's about 3" tall x 1" dia. May have held something mundane like an egg timer?
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #587 on: April 06, 2010, 01:50:44 pm »

As always, make sure to check the movements with a geiger counter to avoid potential contamination. (Radioactive paint is nasty like that)
Rao
Snr. Officer

TheGeekFather
« Reply #588 on: April 06, 2010, 10:06:10 pm »

I'm an avid Victoriana collector and junk shop scourer, and the other day made a find that...well....I'm still sort of in a state of shock. I've had some bargains in my time, but....

It's a real Victorian Renaissance Revival style silver buckle cuff. I paid the princely sum of £8 for it. O.O
When I picked it up and saw the price label, my first reaction was 'What's wrong with it?'. I'd seen a couple of broken examples before in auction job-lots, and couldn't quite believe my luck. I'd wanted one for donkey's years, but they're so expensive, so it was a bit of a pipe dream.
It was tarnished almost black, but a quick dip in the old washing soda/tinfoil solution and a gentle rub with a silver-cloth, et voila!

Some benevolent god was smiling on me, that's for sure, though the first time I put it on the rather vicious closing mech bit me and drew blood! XD

Sounds like a cursed Item to me. It draws blood the first time its used for a DNA imprint...Now you will never be able to get rid of it.... Cheesy

Raolin Aeromancer

Tinkerer
thunderarrowalchemist
Gunner
Australia Australia

a firm believer that tea is much like politics

« Reply #589 on: April 07, 2010, 02:13:26 am »

congrats and congrats x2!!!

woweee, awesome goggles, i must go to the local markets which is long due passed.
with a nice clean or jst as they are i bet they are going to blow every ones mind!!!!!

"things that are back to front are often easier to comprehend if they are upside down as well", said lord vetinari........"in life as in politics."
(T.Pratchett,The Truth)
Quetzalcoatl
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #590 on: April 09, 2010, 12:59:01 am »

I've been hitting the local flea market every week (and will be going back this Sunday)

Here's what I got last weekend!

May offer some of these up for sale as I only have one face.

I have the clock timed to within less than 5 minutes lost per day. (it "didn't work" when I got it)

I also picked up a pocket watch, a good haul I think.

Outflyer_Calliope
Snr. Officer

« Reply #591 on: April 09, 2010, 08:38:25 pm »

I've been hitting the local flea market every week (and will be going back this Sunday)

Here's what I got last weekend!

May offer some of these up for sale as I only have one face.

I have the clock timed to within less than 5 minutes lost per day. (it "didn't work" when I got it)

I also picked up a pocket watch, a good haul I think.

that clock is lovely!...so jealous!
Quetzalcoatl
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #592 on: April 09, 2010, 10:36:55 pm »

the "it didn't work" was pretty awesome. it chimed the wrong hour of the day. it took less than 5 minutes for me to "fix"
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #593 on: April 09, 2010, 10:53:07 pm »

Similarly, I bought my son (Typhonatemybaby on BG) a batch of 5 oldish clocks from the local charity shop last year. All were said to be not working, and we bought them with the intention that he would deconstruct them for the cogs.

However, on winding them up and letting them have a wee R&R on a flat surface, they all announced themselves to be in working order, although some could not keep accurate time.

He is just back from a school trip with the classics class, to Greece, and reports that the Athens junk/flea market has a stall selling job lots of dead clockworkery.
Lord Jeffreys
Snr. Officer

« Reply #594 on: April 11, 2010, 07:16:24 am »

Found this old bench vise on the sidewalk waiting for the garbage truck, while walking my dog. Score! It works fine despite the rust.

greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #595 on: April 11, 2010, 11:11:33 am »

Score indeed! Lucky you. Those sell for about £25 in our local wood recycling depot, even in that condition.
von Klank
Snr. Officer

"Und now vher did I leef mein goggles?"

« Reply #596 on: April 11, 2010, 12:33:58 pm »

Excellent find, Lord Jeffreys! Obtained one similar to that at a Habitat Restore for $3 - it was marked "Rusty Clamp". When I went back the next week, they handed me a piece that looked to be an adjustable angle grinder table and said "This looks like it was supposed to go with that clamp you got last week. Take it!". Pays to get in good with the help, I suppose (I regularly identify unknown bits and bobs for them).

Maschinenkontrol ist fur only Experten Technischens! Gerverken by das Dumnkopfen ist Striktly Verboten!
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #597 on: April 11, 2010, 02:25:57 pm »

Not long back from today's car booting exercise. Picked up a splendid very solid small leather satchel/portfolio for £1. Twenty minutes to repair the lock and it's perfect!

The crown, though, was the wooden furniture from a sporting rifle (£3.50) and a large brass garden sprayer (£1), the barrel of which mates almost perfectly with the rifle woodwork. This is going to make one awesome weapon! >cackles maniacally while rubbing hands together<

Igor! To the laboratory! I have some inventing to do...

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #598 on: April 11, 2010, 04:09:48 pm »

Not long back from today's car booting exercise. Picked up a splendid very solid small leather satchel/portfolio for £1. Twenty minutes to repair the lock and it's perfect!
The crown, though, was the wooden furniture from a sporting rifle (£3.50) and a large brass garden sprayer (£1), the barrel of which mates almost perfectly with the rifle woodwork. This is going to make one awesome weapon! >cackles maniacally while rubbing hands together<

Hey, can you get Igor to take some daguerrotypes so we can see these treasures?
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #599 on: April 11, 2010, 06:45:44 pm »

Hey, can you get Igor to take some daguerrotypes so we can see these treasures?

Here we are, back from the laboratory where I got sidetracked into actually doing some paying work. As I didn't need Igor (actually I don't like him anywhere near the bandsaw - he tends to go to pieces) I got him to expose some plates for you.

The satchel is *really* sturdy, with two interior compartments and two front pockets under the flap.

The rear has two studded flaps that unclip to release a portfolio type compartment.

The shoulder strap is missing, but I have a hide that is a damned close match.

The real corker, though, is the combined might of a brass garden spray and rifle furniture. I just love it already, and that's without adding anything extra.

And now... IGOR! PUT THAT SAW DOWN!

..excuse me, I must dash.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: