The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2019, 08:45:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 286380 times)
eruannu
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #550 on: March 22, 2010, 07:09:43 pm »

just picked up a bunch of brass grounding clamps with straps, and 20 feet of copper pipe which had been used to ground lab equipment when they tore it out of the lab across from the photo studio where i was developing yesterday

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.” Nikola Tesla
deadsweetheart
« Reply #551 on: March 24, 2010, 12:43:16 am »

ok finally snapped a shot of the candle powered lantern with the blackout shudder ,,i had to make some repairs on it ,,the inner lens wont rotate out on its hinge though sadly it seems that the hinge is stuck. I also had to solder a tack on the rails for the match hole shudder and i unstuck the shudder cause that was rusted shut.  Anyone have any more info on this lamp would be helpful ,, its stamped PLECO on the top with the british broadarrow and 1943 on it ,,guessing it might be a air raid wardens light

Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #552 on: March 24, 2010, 07:49:40 pm »

Not a recent find, in fact over 30 years ago but I thought I'd share one of my treasured possessions
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Apologies for the poor picture quality, it's my all brass bunsen burner.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:14:51 pm by Kevin C Cooper Esq » Logged

Soapwort Blisterbelch
Gunner

« Reply #553 on: March 26, 2010, 11:36:01 pm »

Not a recent find, in fact over 30 years ago but I thought I'd share one of my treasured possessions

Do you ever get to put it to use? 

"Duck!  'Cause repentance won't be working this day!" -- Adequate Flattbucsh; Chief of Accquisition for the ship Gentry Blisterbelch
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #554 on: March 27, 2010, 07:52:44 am »

I haven't used a bunsen burner since I had my chemistry set, back when dinosaurs roamed. I don't have a gas supply to connect it to at present, it's enough just owning it.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #555 on: March 29, 2010, 02:52:09 am »

Ah, good to see someone else who appreciates a beautiful bunsen burner!

This is my favourite:

I would love to use it, but I cannot find a way to buy the gas for it, short of disconnecting the supply for my house!

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #556 on: March 29, 2010, 09:06:24 am »

Very nice, perhaps we need a bunsen burner appreciation society. (Or therapy).
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #557 on: March 29, 2010, 04:50:59 pm »

Pressurized camp-stove or barbecue-grill gas, or the gas for lighters and small torches would work.  It is a fairly low-pressure thing, I would mount a small tank under your bench and just run a tube of the appropriate size to the fitting on the back of your burner.  Safe as houses.

Cheers

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Miss Romwell
Snr. Officer

An aspidistra.

« Reply #558 on: March 29, 2010, 06:32:38 pm »

I'm an avid Victoriana collector and junk shop scourer, and the other day made a find that...well....I'm still sort of in a state of shock. I've had some bargains in my time, but....

It's a real Victorian Renaissance Revival style silver buckle cuff. I paid the princely sum of £8 for it. O.O
When I picked it up and saw the price label, my first reaction was 'What's wrong with it?'. I'd seen a couple of broken examples before in auction job-lots, and couldn't quite believe my luck. I'd wanted one for donkey's years, but they're so expensive, so it was a bit of a pipe dream.
It was tarnished almost black, but a quick dip in the old washing soda/tinfoil solution and a gentle rub with a silver-cloth, et voila!

Some benevolent god was smiling on me, that's for sure, though the first time I put it on the rather vicious closing mech bit me and drew blood! XD
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #559 on: March 29, 2010, 07:36:11 pm »

Miss Romwell, now that is an awesome find! Congratulations!

@ Rowin of Rin: What a beautiful and elegant burner you've got.That screams for the make of a replica (sort of).  Smiley
Miss Romwell
Snr. Officer

An aspidistra.

« Reply #560 on: March 29, 2010, 09:54:34 pm »

Why thank you, Endevour Cull, it was a bit of a lightening strike moment, I think. My luck's probably run out now, and I'll find nothing interesting for ages!
I'd love to know where it had been hiding for so long in order for it to turn black and end up in a junk shop, but that shall forever remain a mystery. Smiley
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #561 on: March 29, 2010, 10:30:54 pm »

Just be grateful Miss Romwell, and live in hope. It makes the searching so much fun, and isn't it delightful to come home with a treasure such as yours.
Miss Romwell
Snr. Officer

An aspidistra.

« Reply #562 on: March 30, 2010, 08:10:32 am »

It certainly is, Mr Cooper, and I am indeed most grateful that the Universe put it in my path. ^_^

Might I add, I'm rather jealous of that very fine bag you found. I do like a good piece of stylish luggage. Wink
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #563 on: March 30, 2010, 05:28:22 pm »

Thank you Miss Romwell, it was one of my better finds in recent times, I had just picked it up for the second time (can't believe I hesitated) when another browser spotted it and said I had ruined his day. Now I must make some plans to travel.
Miss Romwell
Snr. Officer

An aspidistra.

« Reply #564 on: March 30, 2010, 06:53:06 pm »

Sounds like an excellent excuse to go away for a weekend! ^_^

Hesitation can be fatal. Jumble sales are the worst, sharpened elbows and snap decisions are par for the course, there. XD

Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #565 on: March 30, 2010, 08:22:53 pm »

I haven't seen a jumble sale advertised locally l for so long I think I'd forgotten they ever existed.
Miss Romwell
Snr. Officer

An aspidistra.

« Reply #566 on: March 30, 2010, 08:53:50 pm »

I haven't seen a jumble sale advertised locally l for so long I think I'd forgotten they ever existed.

I haven't been to a jumble sale in quite a while myself. A shame, I always find them oddly exhilarating. There you are, bag in one hand, change-stuffed purse in the other, wondering whether to go for clothes or bric-a-brac first (bric-a-brac always wins with me Wink ), ready to battle to the death with gimlet-eyed old ladies.  Grin
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #567 on: March 31, 2010, 06:41:03 pm »

Sounds like an excellent excuse to go away for a weekend! ^_^

I think my good lady would have something to say about that!
Archibald Moran
Officer

« Reply #568 on: March 31, 2010, 08:43:47 pm »

Here is My New and Old Finds, The Old Find is this Wooden handled tool, i think it was for Leather work, if you know for sure tell me?, it is 51/2  inches long and made of Wood Brass and Steel, it's been in my familys for at least 40 years, and the new Find i just got, it is some sort of attachment for a blender, it is cool since bothe the Top and middle Section rotate together, am thinking of using it on a Gun as some sort of beam Deflector.

Archibald Moran: Tinker, Inventor, Philosopher, and All Around Eccentric Crackpot
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #569 on: March 31, 2010, 08:48:47 pm »

My latest find is a complete set of Shell "Man in Flight" coins. It includes coins depicting Icarus, Da Vinci and Zeppelin, right through to the Apollos. I ahve no idea what to do with them....

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #570 on: March 31, 2010, 09:31:43 pm »

@darkshines:

any chance we could see them coins ? Smiley

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
deadsweetheart
« Reply #571 on: March 31, 2010, 09:33:08 pm »

Here is My New and Old Finds, The Old Find is this Wooden handled tool, i think it was for Leather work, if you know for sure tell me?, it is 51/2  inches long and made of Wood Brass and Steel, it's been in my familys for at least 40 years, and the new Find i just got, it is some sort of attachment for a blender, it is cool since bothe the Top and middle Section rotate together, am thinking of using it on a Gun as some sort of beam Deflector.

I beleive your first find is a leather Awl uses for punching than reaming out holes in leather.   Oddly enough i just found a leatherworkers pinwheel that i guess is used for making corners.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #572 on: March 31, 2010, 09:45:43 pm »

I took some pictures but then my photobucket decided to die Sad But its this set http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-1970s-Shell-Man-In-Flight-Coin-Collection-Moon_W0QQitemZ110502249480QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Scientific_MJ?hash=item19ba728408 The cardboard on the set I got is WELL tatty, but the coins are all there Smiley
deadsweetheart
« Reply #573 on: April 01, 2010, 12:57:35 am »

Found a peice to a parlor organ the other day and my friend decided to buy it for me . its the peice with all the knobs on it called the sound board.  I have absolutely no idea what im going to do with it yet though but i wilfigure out something.

T
Sandpunk
Snr. Officer

Lo and behold, all bad things.

« Reply #574 on: April 03, 2010, 10:21:45 pm »

Oh look I'm posting!

We had an art festival today and picked up this wonderful mug:

And hit up a local charity shop on the way home and picked up:
A soon to be Aetheric Screwdtiver:

And another mug that needs some silly silk screening removed:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 100   Go Up