The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2019, 05:11:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 285749 times)
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #500 on: February 08, 2010, 02:18:36 am »

maduncle, Rowan: how come there seems to be so much more 'old' stuff kicking about in the New World colonies than there seems to be back here in the motherland?

I don't understand!

Sad
I don't think this is the case at all, all you need to do is look on UK eBay vs. AU eBay to see you lot have many, many more nice things, because you are the Olde Country. I think maduncle and I just know where to look Wink

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #501 on: February 08, 2010, 11:44:03 am »

maduncle, Rowan: how come there seems to be so much more 'old' stuff kicking about in the New World colonies than there seems to be back here in the motherland?

I don't understand!

Sad
I don't think this is the case at all, all you need to do is look on UK eBay vs. AU eBay to see you lot have many, many more nice things, because you are the Olde Country. I think maduncle and I just know where to look Wink

And when to look.

And how to look.

And why to look.

And what to do with it when you find it.

Making art from scrap does not require a wealth of old parts - all it requires is imagination (you should know that Dok).

I have seen the best made from the worst (and visa versa) on this forum - so old brass may be great but new plastic can work just as well.

(And stay away from the Antipodes - it is all mine mine mine!)

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Mr. Moonchylde
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #502 on: February 08, 2010, 12:20:34 pm »

@Guyver: I have no idea what that thing is, but I do know awesome when I see it. As soon as I expanded the picture, I thought of half a dozen project ideas for it... (dim blue led light = u.v. grenade for a vampire hunter, for instance...). Nice find!

@Kaljaia: I am extremely jealous... leather is hard to come by this time of year, and leather clothing is always expensive, even second-hand.

On the bright side, here in a couple of hours some friends and I are going on a treasure-hunting expedition at all the local junk stores, military surplus, pawn shops, thrift shops, and antique stores, so hopefully this afternoon I'll have something to brag about myself. Tongue Oh, and the local Harbor Freight store, as they have a brass sextant and collapsing spyglass that I really, really want...  Grin
Guyver
Zeppelin Captain

If you need me, I'll be in the lab.

« Reply #503 on: February 08, 2010, 01:28:57 pm »

@Guyver: I have no idea what that thing is, but I do know awesome when I see it. As soon as I expanded the picture, I thought of half a dozen project ideas for it... (dim blue led light = u.v. grenade for a vampire hunter, for instance...). Nice find!

It is an old Pneumatic tube Transport System canister. Pneumatic tubes (or capsule pipelines; Lamson tubes) are systems in which cylindrical containers are propelled through a network of tubes by compressed air or by vacuum. They are used for transporting solid objects. Pneumatic tube networks gained great prominence in the late 19th and early 20th century for businesses or administrations that needed to transport small but urgent packages (such as mail or money) over relatively short distances (within a building, or, at most, within a city).

"If I get kicked out of con for shooting a NERF gun I'm stabbing someone with a toaster!"
Hail Bedlam.
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #504 on: February 08, 2010, 08:24:48 pm »

It is an old Pneumatic tube Transport System canister. Pneumatic tubes (or capsule pipelines; Lamson tubes) are systems in which cylindrical containers are propelled through a network of tubes by compressed air or by vacuum. They are used for transporting solid objects. Pneumatic tube networks gained great prominence in the late 19th and early 20th century for businesses or administrations that needed to transport small but urgent packages (such as mail or money) over relatively short distances (within a building, or, at most, within a city).

Here in the Netherlands is a great chain of shops which used that sort of transportation for money to the vault up to the mid seventies of the 20th century. And my father in law did install these systems when he was a young bloke.
It was called 'Buizenpost' for the language interested people
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 08:29:15 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
Kaljaia
Snr. Officer

« Reply #505 on: February 08, 2010, 10:16:17 pm »

@Kaljaia: I am extremely jealous... leather is hard to come by this time of year, and leather clothing is always expensive, even second-hand.

Check your local Value Villages and Goodwill. They often have half-off tag color days, where everything in the store of a particular tag color is 50%. I caught both coats on that day's color, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten them.

Every good "Why" deserves a "Why Not?"
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #506 on: February 09, 2010, 12:30:31 am »

They are still commonly used in Australian supermarkets to move the money from the tills to the office. They tend to be small, grey, plastic and nowhere as interesting as what you found.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Guyver
Zeppelin Captain

If you need me, I'll be in the lab.

« Reply #507 on: February 09, 2010, 01:43:15 am »

Holy Hell, I just found out where this tube came from and now I MUST buy them all!!
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #508 on: February 09, 2010, 03:26:51 am »

Holy Hell, I just found out where this tube came from and now I MUST buy them all!!
That is fantastic! I have an old brass and felt pneumatic tube knockin' about here somewhere...I will take a picture if I can find it!
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #509 on: February 09, 2010, 08:36:13 pm »

Oh boy, I just had the delightful job of clearing an old school stockroom of its dusty old 'rubbish'. My car is now chock full of early 20th century tools and machinery. A shame I had the scruples to leave the department anything that they can use, but they do pay my wages after all and I'll get to use the lovely calipers and chisels. I'll get some photos when I go in on friday.

"Who would have guessed that behind the formidable brow of his, which appeared to be made of some kind of rook, there lay so strange a mixture of memories and thoughts?"

Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #510 on: February 10, 2010, 02:10:00 am »

On leaving the house I noticed a workman with a length of copper piping.
I sidled up to him and said, "I wonder if I could ask if you have any offcuts of copper pipe?"

He said, "You must be joking!"  Angry and then paused, "What do you want it for?"

I sheepishly said, "I want to make a model gun"

"Oh" he said, "I thought you wanted it for scrap. Well, in that case, how much do you want?"

Grin

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #511 on: February 10, 2010, 12:10:22 pm »

Cheesy
Mr. Moonchylde
Officer

« Reply #512 on: February 10, 2010, 11:36:15 pm »

Well, I did go out Monday treasure hunting like I said I would, but due to the weather starting to turn bad and the fact that the military surplus stores apparently no longer carry, well, military surplus items (at least military items that can't be used to play paintball with  Lips sealed), I didn't score as well as I hoped. However I did find a couple items that kept the day from being a total bust:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Another odd acetylene wrench... cost me five bucks at the Antique Mall. Still, IMHO, one of the greatest steam-esque looking tools since the square adjustable wrench (which they had one of, but the guy wanted $80 apparently because wiring a bunch of old tools to a piece of barnboard is "art").

An "Aussie" style leather hat. $30, and already broken in. I personally think I look rather dashing in it. I'm going to replace the braided leather hatband, though I'm not sure with what yet. I'm thinking about making a belt-style band with a large cog as the buckle...

And that was pretty much it for my great day out. On the other hand, once again, the internet came through for me. I had put a notice up on freecycle.org, that I was looking for the odd brass bricabrac, and managed to get several hits before I left the house... so while I was driving about, I managed to scoop up the following for FREE:

Awww, it's so cute (the coin in the pic is an American quarter, for size reference).

A brass slide bolt lock, still in the package.

A flexible (sort of) brass hose. I think it used to be part of a desk or floor lamp.

A big bag of brass drawer knobs, about 1.5" across. There's probably about fifty in the bag, give or take.

Some sort of fake brass (I think it's plated pewter) lion-head buckles.

A nifty brass mug.

A (tiny) brass mantle clock. Still works!

...and whatever the hell this thing is. Joking, I know what it is, just not what I'm going to do with it... yet.

Oh, and my best find of all for this week? Well, I kinda overpaid for this one considering it's condition, but I bought it from a friend who needed the money to pay a fine in a hurry. So, I just consider it charity without looking like charity:

One of the back straps is damaged, the right hose is missing the valve that screwed into the air tank, and the whole filter unit is held on with a quite modern automotive hose clamp. Still, it's old, and probably repairable/customizable (or once I get some leatherworking experience in, a good source for parts). This one cost me $40, which honestly was a lot to me, but like I said, I was doing the guy a favor.

That's about it from me this time... I saw a couple of items at a junk store I didn't have the money for, but I'll probably go back for them (especially the reproduction tombstone radio for $15).

Now if I could get my dad to just give up on the crap he's got horded in the garage...
Yeah, that's a brass fire extinguisher in the back of the second picture... all this stuff is destined for the scrapyard. Tis' enough to make you wanna cry...  :'(
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #513 on: February 14, 2010, 07:34:22 am »

Yarra Glen Swap-meet: The Stuff Maduncle Missed;

Hallward
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Le Renard

« Reply #514 on: February 14, 2010, 07:59:38 am »

My few finds from the Yarra Glen swap meet today. Most of which was exactly what I was looking for.
Left not expecting to much from it, arrived and instantly saw how much great junk there was on offer.

My two favourite finds being the small amp mete/gauge; my first find of the day for $1 and the large pressure gauge my last find of the day for $10 which is slightly larger then my hand.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #515 on: February 14, 2010, 08:14:52 am »

Ah Rowan - you saw the box of gear wheels on the ground!

The stuff maduncle wanted (saw the rest - left it for the latecomers)

Four old brass clocks for the gear wheels ($2)

Four solid brass finials ($2)

One set of small drawers for my dome nuts ($10)

One more timber box for future ray gun ($10)

And not in the photo - an antique 'Dawn' chain vice in perfect nick ($15)

Yep - there was plenty of stuff for all steampunk tastes.

My next market will be the Ballarat Super Southern Swap Meet on Friday 26 February
Kaljaia
Snr. Officer

« Reply #516 on: February 15, 2010, 02:30:05 am »

Today was the Freemont Sunday Market, where people sell old odd junk and western clothing at rather inflated prices. Tongue

Found some interesting things though- one of which was an amazing black and brass antique microscope still in its box- however, it cost more than my chem textbook, so I didn't buy it.
I did get these, however- for 1$ each.
The jewelry is screaming for projects, especially that odd dangily broach thing. It's all costume jewelry, though the thin necklace caught the seller's eye and she made the offhand comment that it had better not be real.  Wink
I love the little wrench- it's going with my other little wrench (the brass calipers are from ASS, 6$, and are actually going to be useful)
And here's the back of that postcard, with its postmark and stamp! It'll go in my eventual journey-book.

The seller of clock-parts has upped her prices and no longer sells individual pocket-watch innards, and another booth had a couple gear boxes like yours, Maduncle, but with no gears! Someone else was selling a little bakelite and brass pistol lighter, about five inches long, but again, my little college budget was a bit too short. If he still has it in a few weeks, I might attempt to haggle a bit for it.

Edit-
to avoid double posting, I'm just adding this here.
Today was the Value Village 50% off sale.
I found a few treasures!
The coat is exactly what it looks like, an ankle-length ladies' leather trench coat! Not sure if I'll keep it as is, or break it down, or modify it. The box is a cheap import, but I'll add it to the box collection anyway. Two interesting glass bottles, three interesting pattern packs, some thread, and a brass-embellished cheap purse were my other scores. That purse will be broken down for its brass, as the leather is fake.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:02:25 pm by Kaljaia » Logged
Reckless Engineer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #517 on: February 18, 2010, 08:17:28 pm »

Dont cut up the pair of bolier please dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They want to be re-steamed once again!!!!!
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #518 on: February 19, 2010, 06:32:25 am »

Dont cut up the pair of bolier please dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They want to be re-steamed once again!!!!!

What sort of monster do you take me for?! They are actually brass fuel tanks from an old outdoor stove, and I will probably keep that as their purpose (fuel for a monowheel?), but they could become anything!
twilightbanana
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #519 on: February 19, 2010, 09:21:30 am »

Oh wow, that stove is amazing. Is the pump intact and the fuel tank airtight?

Sorry, but I'm a bit of an outdoor cooking enthusiast, so seeing this kind of portable cooking gear makes me very happy. It looks like a similar system to the Primus camp stove (Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_stove), but with the added bonus of being much more stable. Slightly less portable perhaps, but that wouldn't be my main concern.
Achrist
Snr. Officer
Belgium Belgium

« Reply #520 on: February 19, 2010, 05:58:02 pm »

Today I bought this. It has a label "western electric company". I googled it and now I know it's(was) a kind of important manufacturer in the US.
So smart people of the US, what was it for ? I know what it does, it makes electricity. I know that because when I put the 2 banana plugs between my toes and I spin that wheel it tickles. I have to put them between my toes because I need one hand to operate it and the other to hold it down. (Who needs a volt meter ?) Putting them in my mouth wasn't an option, it's still kind of dirty. It's from a flea market you know! Who knows where they've been before!
Any whoo ... why did they build it? Maybe for a school science class or something Huh?
Or maybe the CIA left it behind after they used it to "tickle" Afghan prisoners on a nearby airbase, you know the thing that didn't happen a year ago or so. But I don't think it's big enough for that. I really don't know.

darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #521 on: February 19, 2010, 07:24:37 pm »

It looks like a more modern version of my Victorian "Electro Magnetic Device". The purpose of mine was that you wind the handle, then hold the rods against the affected area, the belief being that the mild shock would cure what ails you.

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Sir L. Cuilein
Officer

Colonel Sir L. Cuilein Kings Royal Elite (Ret.)

« Reply #522 on: February 19, 2010, 07:26:02 pm »

I have one and it's in my 1900's wall phone.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
–Winston Churchill
von Klank
Snr. Officer

"Und now vher did I leef mein goggles?"

« Reply #523 on: February 19, 2010, 08:49:31 pm »

Yep. Sir L. Cuilein is quite correct, they were used in older telephones (and portable field telephones) to generate the AC ring pulse to alert the receiver at the other end (operator or another phone) that a call was coming through.

Maschinenkontrol ist fur only Experten Technischens! Gerverken by das Dumnkopfen ist Striktly Verboten!
deadsweetheart
« Reply #524 on: February 20, 2010, 01:01:12 am »

Today I bought this. It has a label "western electric company". I googled it and now I know it's(was) a kind of important manufacturer in the US.
So smart people of the US, what was it for ? I know what it does, it makes electricity. I know that because when I put the 2 banana plugs between my toes and I spin that wheel it tickles. I have to put them between my toes because I need one hand to operate it and the other to hold it down. (Who needs a volt meter ?) Putting them in my mouth wasn't an option, it's still kind of dirty. It's from a flea market you know! Who knows where they've been before!
Any whoo ... why did they build it? Maybe for a school science class or something Huh?
Or maybe the CIA left it behind after they used it to "tickle" Afghan prisoners on a nearby airbase, you know the thing that didn't happen a year ago or so. But I don't think it's big enough for that. I really don't know.

I have one and its actually contained in a wooden box with a bell on top , not a phone but its actually for testing lentths of wire to makre sure there isnt a break in teh wire underneath the jacket , my grandfatehr gave me the device before his passing and he used to work at bethlehem steel mill in baltimore for 50 years
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:12:56 am by deadsweetheart » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: