The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 25, 2019, 12:57:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 274550 times)
Smaggers
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

You cannot mesmerize me...I'm British!

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2009, 10:23:29 pm »

GPO was what the uk Post Office used to be called.   They ran the phone system way back.    I suspect you may have some for of GPO engineers testing device there, or something modified into one.     50v is the "ring" voltage over here.

"I should probably finish one project before taking on another, but the badger won't fit in the freezer." -Steamblast Mary

http://smaggers.deviantart.com/
http://www.bongofish.co.uk
Ancient Tinkerer
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2009, 01:20:19 am »

The best use is to get some really long spools of insulated small guage bell wire, attach a short length of chain to each end, put one spool over the port side and one over the starboard side and crank like heck. Depending upon the length of the bell wires and the depth of the fishing hole, one can come up with some sizable fish for a summer dinner.
Oh and, the things we did in the 50's remain in the 50's!

john
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2009, 09:50:40 pm »

The best use is to get some really long spools of insulated small guage bell wire, attach a short length of chain to each end, put one spool over the port side and one over the starboard side and crank like heck. Depending upon the length of the bell wires and the depth of the fishing hole, one can come up with some sizable fish for a summer dinner.
Oh and, the things we did in the 50's remain in the 50's!

john
50 VAC is enough to stun fish? I was thinking of some sort of light, but have been unable to fine info for a AC to DC battery charging system that will work at 50v and charge for 10 min of light time. I may play with a wall transformer and LED set-up, but we'll see.

Any other suggested uses?

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2009, 02:41:23 am »

Found these at San Francisco Bay Area Markets :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Excuse me, but is that a flyball-governed pith helmet on top of the chart cabinet?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
pewtersmith
Snr. Officer

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2009, 04:01:35 am »

[/quote]

Excuse me, but is that a flyball-governed pith helmet on top of the chart cabinet?
[/quote]
Sure is , I make them and sell them to raise funds for the the Neverwas Haul project ,
 see http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5806216 for the steam governor pith helmet ( General Wolseley or Empire style )
as well as Neverwas goggles.
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2009, 04:12:01 am »

[/quote]
Sure is , I make them and sell them to raise funds for the the Neverwas Haul project ,
 see http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5806216 for the steam governor pith helmet ( General Wolseley or Empire style )
as well as Neverwas goggles.
[/quote]

What a fine enhancement! I must admit that my ungoverned pith does lead to erratic behavior. Especially on the playa!

I really enjoyed the fine array of piths that visited the Bomb Bay Tea Co. last year. Best playa headgear ever.

DB (The Commodore)

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Tyren
Snr. Officer

Trust me, good idea.

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2009, 12:28:33 am »

Not exactly flea market but I hit up an antique store and I found some interesting things. Sorry about bad pictures. I was sneaking them with my phone because I wasn't sure if crazy antique people would get mad if I took pictures.

Goggles(which sadly went unpurchased because they were in poor shape although that may change.)
Old lighters and razers
Wooden clockwork mechanism
A wrench that I wanted but when I went back to grab it it was gone! *is still kicking self*
Another wrench, that was slightly more pricey but also went missing.
Old school blowtorch and soldering iron attachment.
Cameras. Retro
Steamy Fan
Civil war revolver
And a few scales

Sure there were many more things but as I said the camera on my phone. That and half the time I was drooling.

Fate is speaking to us, to be sure.
Load the airship with two dozen attractive people and 42 tons of tea!
We've got a world to save!
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2009, 02:26:05 am »

Nice thing Tyren, and may I point out those goggles are Masonic hoodwink goggles, which are incredibly cool (I have a pair myself, but they are in even worse condition than the ones you photographed).

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Tyren
Snr. Officer

Trust me, good idea.

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2009, 02:33:41 am »

Nice thing Tyren, and may I point out those goggles are Masonic hoodwink goggles, which are incredibly cool (I have a pair myself, but they are in even worse condition than the ones you photographed).
Masonic hoodwink goggles? Does that mean I should get them...
pewtersmith
Snr. Officer

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2009, 03:15:01 am »

Yes if you want to start your own secret society , with blind folded initiations , or if like me you want to make yourself a Victorian " pearl sensitive" sunglasses   ( but then I only pay $1 for mine):
Tyren
Snr. Officer

Trust me, good idea.

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2009, 03:24:05 am »

I was almost thinkign if I got them I could just cut slits in them. Like guards for the lenses but you can still see out of them. Dammit you're really making me regret not buying them...
pewtersmith
Snr. Officer

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2009, 03:31:14 am »

I was almost thinkign if I got them I could just cut slits in them. Like guards for the lenses but you can still see out of them. Dammit you're really making me regret not buying them...

Right now on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-1800s-Masonic-Hoodwinks-Blinder-Goggles_W0QQitemZ320340401752QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item320340401752&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
Tyren
Snr. Officer

Trust me, good idea.

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2009, 03:33:57 am »

It won't come to ebay unless the ones I have a lead on vanished since yesterday.
garingling
Zeppelin Captain

Smile, let them think you're up to something.

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2009, 07:18:16 pm »

Yes if you want to start your own secret society , with blind folded initiations , or if like me you want to make yourself a Victorian " pearl sensitive" sunglasses   ( but then I only pay $1 for mine):

The "don't panic" painted on the inside is great.

G is for gorgeous
E is for exciting
O is for odd (in the best possible way!)
R is for remarkable
G is for gentle
I is for intelligent
A is for awesome
Tyren
Snr. Officer

Trust me, good idea.

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2009, 01:40:40 am »

Finally managed to upload my pics

My new goggles.
Clock
And trunk
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2009, 10:16:37 am »

Big hunting weekend with a trip to the ever exciting Castlemaine 'Restorer's Barn', followed by a visit to the annual Ballarat Antique Fair, topped of with a personal tour of the best antique shop in Ballarat courtesy of resident steampunk maiden Lt.Lily Shaw, accompanied by her trusty beau the good captain.

Put it all together and the bits look like this:

Mostly blunderbuss parts (the old drencher is going to be a great trigger mechanism).

Oh and I got one of these from the antique fair.

Love them for parts storage, and I want a wall of them in my shed!

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2009, 12:19:19 pm »

Oh and I got one of these from the antique fair.

Love them for parts storage, and I want a wall of them in my shed!

Glad to see we are on the same wavelength (yet again Cheesy). I have also started plans for my Wall of Drawers (WoD), I hope to have them in varying sizes as well.
Preturbed
Gunner

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2009, 10:00:52 pm »

Kodak Junior six-16 series II with original box and manual, in working condition. Paid $10 US.

OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2009, 10:48:59 pm »

Kodak Junior six-16 series II with original box and manual, in working condition. Paid $10 US.

Nice. And, while 616 film is nearly (if not entirely) unobtainable, it is possible to use available 120 film in it, with some minor and non-permanent modifications. That is, assuming it remains light-tight. You'll get 5 more-or-less panoramic shots on a roll. Use Google-fu or I can give you some links (there are a few ways to do it).

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
Preturbed
Gunner

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2009, 01:46:00 am »

Aw, not available huh? I was really hoping to take pictures and have them turn out as they would have originally.
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2009, 02:52:04 am »

616 film happens to be 70mm wide, and 70mm film is still available. The problem is it only comes in huge bulk rolls. First it has to be cut to length, then taped at one end to a strip of opaque backing paper (it is simplest to use paper from an original 616 roll, if you can find some in good shape, otherwise appropriate paper has to be acquired and cut to length and width, and also numbered in the appropriate places). Then you would wind this onto a 616 spool (these can be found on eBay, for several dollars apiece). This all has to be done in total darkness, BTW. Well, not cutting the paper of course.

You'll almost certainly have to develop it yourself, though you might luck out on that. You'll need a tank that can accommodate it - these can be found.

Another possibility is to find some 616 on eBay or somewhere. It does show up occasionally. However, as it was last made 25 years ago, it will not be in tiptop shape Wink. Best would be to find some that has been frozen since then. Even then, it won't be perfect, but could be pretty good - maybe. It's likely to bring in a pretty good price, too.

If you manage to find some frozen film, it had better be black-and-white, because a) the dyes in color film deteriorate faster than the emulsion, and b) it's nearly impossible to find a processor - and it will be very expensive if you do. However, with the exception of Kodachrome type films, it's usually possible to process old color film as black-and-white. If the negatives turn out to be really good, it might even be worthwhile redeveloping them as color. Color processing is pretty finicky stuff, though.

Now, last I looked, there was at least one, maybe two, companies that did respool 70mm. The price was astronomical. I have also heard of getting unbacked 70mm film in 616-length strips, but I don't know offhand if anyone is supplying it currently.

Your best bet, as I said before, is to use 120 film. Homemade adaptors aren't that hard to make. Google for 616 film and you'll find a lot of variations and other advice.
garingling
Zeppelin Captain

Smile, let them think you're up to something.

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2009, 07:13:03 am »

Just thought I would post some possible ray gun making finds from the weekend found at the Salvation Army and a yard sale for about $10. The wrench was just neat.

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2009, 09:47:24 am »

Personally, I think that camera would make a good base to build a functional digital camera from.  Just shop about for a small cheap / old digital camera without an LCD display (even one of those £10 mini keychain types could work - if you don't mind 640 x 480 res), install the guts into the case, and position the CCD / CMOS sensor in line with the lens.  Then set the shutter to be fully open, and mount the digital camera's button on the outside of the case somewhere - it may even be possible to connect it up to the internal shutter mechanism. The camera will look pretty much stock then.  Smiley

I should put my money where my mouth is, I have one of those cameras about (or something very similar), just have to find where it's "safely put away".... (along with two or three Box Brownie types).

SS

[Server Prayer]
Paul
Deck Hand

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2009, 04:40:42 am »

Actually, those were used for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows for initiations.  For our hoodwink we've always used a something that's half blindfold, half eyemask.  It looks something like this:

Much less cool.
Tyren
Snr. Officer

Trust me, good idea.

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2009, 05:09:45 am »

Mine are actually comign together pretty well. I removed the messed up leather and a belt from goodwill....whats left of it from another project, has been sacrificed to replace it. Also I have like a lfeece I found to put on the back of them. Just a bit more sewing and all I'll have to worry about will be the lenses. I just wish my dad hadn't taken his poprivet gun...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: