The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2019, 05:12:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 285750 times)
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #475 on: February 03, 2010, 06:06:08 am »

They have those exact same ones on American ebay for I think $70 the last time I checked. I bought Cowperthwaite a reproduction American air ship officers collar pin, it cost me $50.

Or less. I just found it for US $14.99 (+ $2.50 postage to US location).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If they can sell it for $700, they are making a killing.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Mr. Moonchylde
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #476 on: February 03, 2010, 06:19:15 am »

I thought as much. Well, that's one less vendor that'll receive my business.  Angry

Bastard said he'd sell it for $500, said he was making me a deal... bastard.

Darkshines, thanks for the link. If I can get it off e-bay, I'll have to wear it to the antique store while the guy's there... heheheheh...
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #477 on: February 03, 2010, 06:23:09 am »

I thought as much. Well, that's one less vendor that'll receive my business.  Angry

Darkshines, thanks for the link. If I can get it off e-bay, I'll have to wear it to the antique store while the guy's there... heheheheh...

Thanks Sorontar - I just bought one off eBay.

Note - the eBay vendor clearly states this is a replica badge, so the price is right.

@Moonchylde - your antique dealer may well have an original, in which case his price would be right.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
deadsweetheart
« Reply #478 on: February 03, 2010, 12:23:36 pm »

ive seen those zeppelin badges ,,i payed 20 for a repro one  and well to tell you the truth if you dont intend to use it with a peice of clothing with the holes already thru it your gonna have to sharpen the pin on the back .  Plus you have to be careful with them cause they are made out of pewter or zinc and the metal is actually kindof soft.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #479 on: February 03, 2010, 03:43:55 pm »

Yesterday I saw the contents of an advertising agency being thrown into dumpsters down the street. I found this, a solid glass object that I think is supposed to be a vodka bottle. After playing with it a bit I discovered that a light shown into the top causes the bottle to light up and throw beams through its facets. I have high hopes for this, and you can expect it to appear in some sort of lighting creation, possibly together with a plasma source.

Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #480 on: February 03, 2010, 07:08:23 pm »

I can't wait to see that in a creation!!! Shocked 

Lucky man!
Lynkhart
Officer
Scotland Scotland

Indeed.

« Reply #481 on: February 03, 2010, 09:41:26 pm »

Oooh-er indeed! That'll lend itself nicely to an interesting contraption!
Waterbug2
Deck Hand

« Reply #482 on: February 04, 2010, 02:30:42 am »

I don't know if what was being sold was real or reproduction or what a real one would be worth, but if it was indeed real it might be worth $500-$700. I do know some real American civil war belt buckles go for $3000+ and the reproductions less than $50. Really heard to tell them apart. Maybe the bastard was giving you a deal?

Obsession is my mistress and she is a bitch.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #483 on: February 04, 2010, 02:59:08 am »

Mr Moonchylde, you said you saw it at a "local antique mall". Is this a market, an auction house, an antique secondhand shop or a series of permanent stores?

Either way, while I know little on antiques and collectibles, I am still surprised that a simple service broach could be that expensive. Are other regimental broaches for regiments that no longer exist that expensive?

Sorontar
Mr. Moonchylde
Officer

« Reply #484 on: February 04, 2010, 09:15:29 am »

I honestly have no idea if the pin was real or reproduction, and I really don't know what it really was worth. I was over-reacting, and I appologize. But going by the quality and prices of the rest of his merchandise (which I did know a bit about... for example, the "antique brass vase" that, upon inspection, turned out to be painted tin from the late 70's), I'm still going to avoid his booth in the future.

Mr Moonchylde, you said you saw it at a "local antique mall". Is this a market, an auction house, an antique secondhand shop or a series of permanent stores?

Either way, while I know little on antiques and collectibles, I am still surprised that a simple service broach could be that expensive. Are other regimental broaches for regiments that no longer exist that expensive?

Sorontar

As I said above, I honestly don't know. I've seen stuff I thought was expensive go for nothing, but then again, I've seen a friend sell a junked sword he bought for five dollars for close to one thousand dollars... I just thought it was interesting-looking junk. In any case, real or not, the medal is well outside of my price range...

Oh, and it's run like a flea market, where you rent out space in the store for your merchandise, but at the same time it's like a consignment store, as the store employees will sell your merchandise for you if you're not there. I'm not really sure how to explain it more clearly, sorry.

@WillRockwell: That bottle/glass thing is awesome... I can't wait to see what you do with it.  Grin

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #485 on: February 04, 2010, 10:22:24 am »

Oh, and it's run like a flea market, where you rent out space in the store for your merchandise, but at the same time it's like a consignment store, as the store employees will sell your merchandise for you if you're not there. I'm not really sure how to explain it more clearly, sorry.

Okay. I have seen a place like that outside my city (in Daylesford, for the locals). Huge warehouse where people display their stock and pay for the space. Most of it is retro but I was surprised by the amount of German war stuff. The store staff handle all sales, so there is no bartering I believe.
Tom Bierly
Deck Hand
Germany Germany

« Reply #486 on: February 04, 2010, 11:43:03 am »

If I understand your description right, this is called an antique Co-op.  The store location itself has staff that will watch all of the displays and ring up sales, or the individual vendors will each take a turn manning the shop.  They range in size from small shops to large warehouses.  In the large places some of the vendors like to hang around their displays more than they would in the small shops.  My parents were in a few of these back before they went into antiques full time. 

I honestly don't like them as a buyer.  the store has a lack of feel and seems fractured.
Waterbug2
Deck Hand

« Reply #487 on: February 04, 2010, 05:58:45 pm »

Here in Phoenix they're called antique malls and there are many, The impression I get is many are collectors who rent the booth as storage and place fairly high values on items. If someone is willing to pay then they'll let the item go. Not my favorite place to shop.
Kaljaia
Snr. Officer

« Reply #488 on: February 05, 2010, 01:12:52 am »

We have a few around here as well. I don't mind them, as if one seller has a really high price on one item, chances are someone else in the building has it for less. Also, more variety.

The one in Tacoma has a number of its stalls set up as dining rooms or bedrooms or such all with period pieces- it would make an amazing photo shoot location, (and yes, if you're in costume, the staff will let you take all the pictures you want. I asked.)

Every good "Why" deserves a "Why Not?"
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #489 on: February 05, 2010, 11:46:33 am »

Another stall had boxes of locksmithing tools, which I briefly drooled over before reminding myself that I know nothing about locksmithing, and have not the budget for such purchases. *sigh*

Gracious! Was this Jammo on Sunday ? I really have to get out more...

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #490 on: February 05, 2010, 11:33:58 pm »

Another stall had boxes of locksmithing tools, which I briefly drooled over before reminding myself that I know nothing about locksmithing, and have not the budget for such purchases. *sigh*

Gracious! Was this Jammo on Sunday ? I really have to get out more...
Yep. It was really quite painful for me, having a budget of $0 and wandering around there without being able to buy. That said, I'll be wandering over again tomorrow morning (though not particularly early - I'm going to a cocktail party tonight!).

Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #491 on: February 06, 2010, 03:42:56 am »

Today's meagre haul from Camberwell market.

That mister shows potential as a Victorian mace or pepper gun

Hmmm,

Perhaps I could put a longer straight barrel on the nozzle, add a sight at the end, fill it with Holy water and use it to repel my dark brothers.

And attach the shower rose to get more of them
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #492 on: February 07, 2010, 10:44:32 am »

Todays meagre haul from the Epping Swap Meet:

- One large brass pump (the handle is now on a ray gun).
- One small brass pump.
- One more stand with a scribe or measure thing on it.
- One small gauge.
- Two large brass knob finials.
- One saw with a cool textured handle.
- And finally, one excellent old shotgun case with brass details - this will be the case for the Gentlemans Own Plutonian Adventure Kit.

(Bring on Yarra Glen next week).
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #493 on: February 07, 2010, 11:31:15 am »

Seeing as Maduncle had swept the Epping Swap clean, I must present my aquisitions from the most excellent Berwick Swap Meet, the day before!

*One large brass bound leather Mathers machine gun ammunition holder
*One NSW Airforce Leather pouch, that fits on a belt (my new wallet!)
*Two large industrial explosion-proof lights.
*One large and heavy copper faced panel, with green glass indicator lights, probably from a ~1920's elevator.
*One large heavily patinated copper pipe
*A few odds and ends, including an Archimedes drill, a rusty wheel, and the first part of my glass raygun.

(Can't wait for Yarra Glen!)

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #494 on: February 07, 2010, 03:48:10 pm »

@Rowan : I like the leather pouches and the elevator thing.

@Maduncle: That case is awesome! and that saw with handle is a gun on it's own.

About that stand with a measuring thing on it, i think it is a clothiers thing to measure of the underlines of a dress or skirt.
I have seen such a thing before. Normally upon that stand is a little squeeze rubber ball with some white powder in it and as the model with the dress turns round you get an even line where to sow it of. (is that good English?? Undecided ).
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #495 on: February 07, 2010, 04:44:10 pm »

maduncle, Rowan: how come there seems to be so much more 'old' stuff kicking about in the New World colonies than there seems to be back here in the motherland?

I don't understand!

Sad

Kaljaia
Snr. Officer

« Reply #496 on: February 07, 2010, 09:48:17 pm »

*Is excited.
Spent 25$ total for two suede leather jackets and one massive black leather skirt. Cheesy

EEE so much leather! So may projects! So little time!
The Value Village in Ballard, Seattle has some amazing stuff, including a dozen or so lovely odd glass bottles for about .99 each. I was just after leather this time, but will definitely make that store a regular stop.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #497 on: February 08, 2010, 12:20:03 am »

maduncle, Rowan: how come there seems to be so much more 'old' stuff kicking about in the New World colonies than there seems to be back here in the motherland?

I don't understand!

Sad

There is a lot of space in this wide brown land for people to hoard - so there is still a vast untapped treasure trove of stuff ' out back'.

JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #498 on: February 08, 2010, 01:39:56 am »

I think there's tons of it here in England but there is more call for it in Aussieland so more people sell it there, auntique shops where I am anyway are all a bit crap becauze they do so badly that they can't afford to buy nice new old things.
Jim's emporium had good stuff from the begining fortunately Wink

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Guyver
Zeppelin Captain

If you need me, I'll be in the lab.

« Reply #499 on: February 08, 2010, 02:12:10 am »

Found a box of these for $5 each. Only grabbed the one but will go back for the others after pay day!

"If I get kicked out of con for shooting a NERF gun I'm stabbing someone with a toaster!"
Hail Bedlam.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: