The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2019, 05:09:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 285748 times)
Mr. Moonchylde
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #450 on: January 27, 2010, 07:21:59 pm »

We take our flea markets seriously in the land of bluegrass and moonshine, my friend...

I wish everyone did, I've been to several down here in central Florida and it's all car stereos, brightly colored dollar store junk, and bootleg or adult movies.   I wish I could get back to my childhood days in north Georgia when the flea markets routinely had veritable gold mines of broken antiques and interesting odds and ends.  Sadly I did not know then what my interests would be now so I looked them over as worthless.

Oh, we have that junk, too, but there's enough good stuff in the outdoor booths to make up for it.  Roll Eyes Honestly, though, the best flea market I've ever been to was in Friendship, Indiana. They run it for nine days twice a year, outdoors (rain or shine), and it covers about 40 acres. This isn't including the fifteen or so miles of continuis yard sales leading up to the market... there's a saying there, if they don't have it, it never exisisted and you're an idiot for wanting it. Not very nice, but pretty accurate. If you're willing to put up with the heat, the bugs, and the 99.9% lack of cell-phone service (there's one spot it works, but it tends to move around), then I'd recommend that one to any steampunker that can make it (and not just because I'm hoping to set up a booth there in the fall...  Grin). http://www.friendshipfleamarket.com/

That, and there's also the World's Longest Yard Sale which runs from Alabama to Ohio... oh, the wonders you'll see! Yeah.

Hey, TechDante, that'll run right through your neighborhood! You gonna be in the states until August?

EDIT: Yeah, I realize I sound like a commercial for flea markets. Meh. Oh, and DapperDocent, I feel your pain about passing things up... about ten years ago I had the chance to buy a crate containing, amongst other things, 150 old pair of brazing goggles, for about five dollars. I remember thinking "What the hell will I ever do with goggles?"

*continues kicking self*
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:24:27 pm by Mr. Moonchylde » Logged
theDapperDocent
Snr. Officer

« Reply #451 on: January 27, 2010, 07:29:09 pm »

:: laughs::  Wow, that must hurt.    I don't even remember many specific items from those days just that the stuff seemed more interesting and useful now looking back on it than it did back then.    "What would I do with an old, dirty, heavy typewriter that doesn't even work?"

"Every revolutionary idea seems to evoke three stages of reaction. They may be summed up by the phrases: One, it's completely impossible. Two, it's possible, but it's not worth doing. Three, I said it was a good idea all along." - Arthur C. Clarke
TechDante
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

temporay till i finish my steampunk outfit

« Reply #452 on: January 28, 2010, 01:46:12 pm »

Hey, TechDante, that'll run right through your neighborhood! You gonna be in the states until August?

unfortunatly not only in kentucky till april

Why those snipers couldn't hit an elephant at this dist...
Lynkhart
Officer
Scotland Scotland

Indeed.

« Reply #453 on: January 29, 2010, 12:41:07 pm »

I bought a rather nice old bottle at the charity shop yesterday. I love things like this so I was really pleased to find it, and cheap too! I think it's a repro and fairly common, judging by what the search on google came up with but I like it nonetheless.

deadsweetheart
« Reply #454 on: January 29, 2010, 01:01:04 pm »

Ok, so not exactly a flea market, but on the theme of things that were once wandering in the abyss of non-use and have now been found and loved by a kindred spirit, here's what I found on the last spelunking expedition into our upstairs closet. Yes, closet. Yay for parents who never, ever throw things away!

Apparently, photography, like bad poetry, runs in the family. All of these were once purchased new, used until outdated, and upgraded. Said old models were carefully packed with all their parts, pieces, leftover film and flash cubes, and instructions, and forgotten.

Developing tank, with slide holders intact-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Small point-n-shoot, early 1900's, I think?

Early video camera, 1930's-40's

Folding camera, still in really good shape. (One of these went on e-bay for about a dollar a week ago, btw.)

Now if I can find film and someone who will teach me how to use them... (And time. Lots and lots of time. Because I have none right now!)

Ok so the motion picture camera youcan still find film for cause its most likely 8 or 16mm film used in that one , just make sure it works first cause its a windup camera and the springs can sometimes break in those .

Your two film cameras  well one appears to take 127 film which sadly they no longer make  but with the gate on the back tells me its possibly an autographic one which means that  theyd open that little gate and witha  stylus would actually write on the film usually a date for persons name .the bigger one you got is a much older 1890s kodak , look inside for what tyle of film it is on the body or back cover , if its still got a spool in it it might even be written on the end of the spool.   Kodak mae a bazillion different types of film back than there was 120, 127,116,620,626,130,300 size of film , this is not the speed of the film , most film back before teh 1940s  was mostly 100 or 50 speed . if your looking for antique cameras you can still use without cutting your own filmo though i have to suggest looking for cameras  that use 120mm film that is still easily gotten thru many online websites , you can also take 120 film and put it on a 620 roll cause they are the same size film bu the spool is a diffent size on its rim. Remember if you get  these cameras always kep the spare spool thats in the camera , that is your takeup spool onto which the film winds.   The accordions on some of these cameras can be fixed but no one does it professionally ona regualr basis so i think there are instructiosn somewhere online how to make them .        I turned downa kodak plate film view accordion camera for 10 dollars last year and im still kicking myself for not getting that  though cause those sell online for 100 dolalrs jsut for the skeleton.
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #455 on: January 29, 2010, 09:41:21 pm »

I guess that would be a 'film'-camera ( video-era child?  Tongue)
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #456 on: January 29, 2010, 09:47:58 pm »

With deepest apologies due to a great delay, here are the pictures of my grandfather's Agfa Billy 1 camera.

I was told it's still possible to get the 120 film, and, with slight modifications, it's even possible to use 220 film which provides more exposures per roll. I'll ask around if anyone still develops these. Smiley

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
deadsweetheart
« Reply #457 on: January 30, 2010, 12:13:14 am »

With deepest apologies due to a great delay, here are the pictures of my grandfather's Agfa Billy 1 camera.

I was told it's still possible to get the 120 film, and, with slight modifications, it's even possible to use 220 film which provides more exposures per roll. I'll ask around if anyone still develops these. Smiley
if there are no stores that do it on premisis , Kodak still develops the film and the larger chain stores can have your film sent to kodak for development.
Kaljaia
Snr. Officer

« Reply #458 on: January 30, 2010, 01:00:06 am »

Ok, so not exactly a flea market, but on the theme of things that were once wandering in the abyss of non-use and have now been found and loved by a kindred spirit, here's what I found on the last spelunking expedition into our upstairs closet. Yes, closet. Yay for parents who never, ever throw things away!

Apparently, photography, like bad poetry, runs in the family. All of these were once purchased new, used until outdated, and upgraded. Said old models were carefully packed with all their parts, pieces, leftover film and flash cubes, and instructions, and forgotten.

Developing tank, with slide holders intact-

Small point-n-shoot, early 1900's, I think?

Folding camera, still in really good shape. (One of these went on e-bay for about a dollar a week ago, btw.)

Now if I can find film and someone who will teach me how to use them... (And time. Lots and lots of time. Because I have none right now!)

Ok so the motion picture camera youcan still find film for cause its most likely 8 or 16mm film used in that one , just make sure it works first cause its a windup camera and the springs can sometimes break in those .

Your two film cameras  well one appears to take 127 film which sadly they no longer make  but with the gate on the back tells me its possibly an autographic one which means that  theyd open that little gate and witha  stylus would actually write on the film usually a date for persons name .the bigger one you got is a much older 1890s kodak , look inside for what tyle of film it is on the body or back cover , if its still got a spool in it it might even be written on the end of the spool.   Kodak mae a bazillion different types of film back than there was 120, 127,116,620,626,130,300 size of film , this is not the speed of the film , most film back before teh 1940s  was mostly 100 or 50 speed . if your looking for antique cameras you can still use without cutting your own filmo though i have to suggest looking for cameras  that use 120mm film that is still easily gotten thru many online websites , you can also take 120 film and put it on a 620 roll cause they are the same size film bu the spool is a diffent size on its rim. Remember if you get  these cameras always kep the spare spool thats in the camera , that is your takeup spool onto which the film winds.   The accordions on some of these cameras can be fixed but no one does it professionally ona regualr basis so i think there are instructiosn somewhere online how to make them .        I turned downa kodak plate film view accordion camera for 10 dollars last year and im still kicking myself for not getting that  though cause those sell online for 100 dolalrs jsut for the skeleton.

Thank you very much for the information! I will look into it and see what I can find in the way of film. I know there's a place in town that still specializes in developing film- I'll ask there about odd film sizes.
Chances are I won't be able to do anything with these for months yet- a college student's time is not their own- but they are stored in a good dry safe place, and will still be exactly where I left them when I finally do get time. Smiley If nothing ever does come of them, the cameras from that time were so gorgeous that I'll keep and display them anyway.

Every good "Why" deserves a "Why Not?"
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #459 on: January 30, 2010, 02:59:43 am »

My parents used to have an old box-brownie that lived in our toybox.

I have no idea what happened to it.

Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #460 on: January 30, 2010, 04:15:54 am »

if there are no stores that do it on premisis , Kodak still develops the film and the larger chain stores can have your film sent to kodak for development.

I do believe that would be financially cumbersome for an unemployed person to sort out. I think the closest proper Kodak centre to here is in northern Austria.  Roll Eyes
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #461 on: January 30, 2010, 10:24:59 pm »

I visited some charity shops today that i havent been to for years and struck BRASS. Happy me. I got a bugle (the long narrow sort, like a trumpet without valves rather than the short fat kind) for £7 and a tiny brass carriage clock for £2. The clock is about 3cms high and surprisingly heavy, but I am delighted to find that it works.

I have in mind to make the bugle into a rifle and to wear the clock either as a medal or as a watch.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #462 on: January 31, 2010, 03:47:33 am »

Today's meagre haul from Camberwell market.

- Two Kodak items for the little Kodak collection (the glass plate developer frame is kinda neat)

- A small brass lamp (now re-wired, polished and in the study awaiting some accessories)

- A large brass shower rose (might put it on a watering can)

- A small brass and glass mister (for watering thosethings that grow in jars)

And that was it.

Although, my wife Tanya FINALLY came with me, and Tanya bought a nice old tin hat box with original faux timber paint finish.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #463 on: January 31, 2010, 05:45:45 am »

I went this morning. There were some awesome bits of old things at one stall, including magnifying glasses, sextants, retractable telescopes, vintage keys and a magnificent vintage mounted telescope. Unfortunately, he was well aware of their desirability, and I couldn't afford the least of his treasures (I can barely buy groceries at the moment).
Another stall had boxes of locksmithing tools, which I briefly drooled over before reminding myself that I know nothing about locksmithing, and have not the budget for such purchases. *sigh*
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #464 on: February 01, 2010, 10:41:16 am »

That mister shows potential as a Victorian mace or pepper gun

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #465 on: February 01, 2010, 12:02:12 pm »

That mister shows potential as a Victorian mace or pepper gun

Hmmm,

Perhaps I could put a longer straight barrel on the nozzle, add a sight at the end, fill it with Holy water and use it to repel my dark brothers.
Tom Bierly
Deck Hand
Germany Germany

« Reply #466 on: February 01, 2010, 01:19:51 pm »

Not exactly flea market but I hit up an antique store and I found some interesting things. Sorry about bad pictures. I was sneaking them with my phone because I wasn't sure if crazy antique people would get mad if I took pictures.

Sorry for being the new guy who comments on an ancient post, but I really thought I had something to add to this.

My parents have been in the antique business for a long time and I've been around different shops my whole life.  If you use I simple line like, "a friend/relative of mine might be interested in this piece.  May I take a picture to send him/her?", the shopkeeper will always say yes.  I use this all of the time, when I think I might need the wife's OK on a purchase.  In ten different states and five different countries I have never been turned down.  Some times they even help move things, so I can get a better angle.
Tom Bierly
Deck Hand
Germany Germany

« Reply #467 on: February 01, 2010, 05:42:10 pm »

There's an old former-L&N / currently CSX train yard about 25 yards from my old house. It's currently used primarily for storage (mostly railcars), and nearly all the buildings in the yard have been abandoned, as far as I'm aware, since the late 70's (the yard itself dates back to the 1860's). While I couldn't get permission from CSX to remove any scrap metal, for obvious reasons, they did give me permission to take whatever I wanted out of the buildings and from the grounds between the main line and storage tracks. Holy crap, the stuff I found.

I am mostly amazed that they let you into the yard at all.  I figured the lawyers would be scared of you hurting yourself and suing.
Mr. Moonchylde
Officer

« Reply #468 on: February 02, 2010, 01:07:12 am »

Had it been an active yard, I'd likely have been shot by now (railroad police carry M-16's and are authorized to use deadly force ever since 9-11). Since the yard is mostly abandoned and used for storage only, they don't even have a yard manager, let alone security. That, and because the south end of the yard is now home to two factories (which I REALLY wish I could explore, as they still have the old turntables and train maintenance sheds down there), employee's of said factory use the yard as a back entrance, so people are going in and out all the time, not to mention that there's miles of trails along the riverbank.

They may be rebuilding and reopening the yard in the next several years, so things will likely change then, but for now so long as I stay away from the active lines and don't try to strip down the trains (and keep away from the main water collection station for the city, as it now has a big razor-wire fence and cameras surrounding it), the couple of switch-men working the yard could really care less. As for raiding the empty buildings, the unofficial view of CSX is the more I take now, the less they have to clean up later. The official view is more like if I get hurt, I should have read the big "no trespassing" sign first, so the fault's all on me. I guess I've always been one of those people who see "Keep Out" and read it as "Enter At Your Own Risk"... and I'm willing to take that risk.  Grin

Dr. Roger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #469 on: February 02, 2010, 01:26:06 am »

[quote I guess I've always been one of those people who see "Keep Out" and read it as "Enter At Your Own Risk"... and I'm willing to take that risk.  Grin

[/quote]

Here Here!  Grin

Just because we are pirates does not mean we lack manners, we simply choose when and where to use them.
theDapperDocent
Snr. Officer

« Reply #470 on: February 02, 2010, 04:12:15 pm »

The official view is more like if I get hurt, I should have read the big "no trespassing" sign first, so the fault's all on me.

If only more places had this policy then this type of exploration would be more accessible to people who are properly prepared and careful.   
Tom Bierly
Deck Hand
Germany Germany

« Reply #471 on: February 02, 2010, 07:28:07 pm »

Just got this batch of misc. brass pieces off of Ebay for 1€ plus shipping.

These will probably be used for my phone project.

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #472 on: February 02, 2010, 11:49:07 pm »

Well done Tom,

Six matching brass knobs with knurled edges - SCORE!
Mr. Moonchylde
Officer

« Reply #473 on: February 03, 2010, 05:23:51 am »

I saw this for sale at a local antique mall the other day. I didn't buy it as the asking price was WAY out of my price range, but I thought I'd post a pic of it here anyhow, as it definitely fits the steampunk aesthetic:
WWI German Zeppelin pilot's badge.

Anyone have an idea of it's actual worth? The guy selling it is asking nearly $700 American, which is more then I paid for my car...

That, and I wonder if anyone knows if I could find a reproduction piece at a more, ahem, reasonable price?
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #474 on: February 03, 2010, 05:30:50 am »

They have those exact same ones on American ebay for I think $70 the last time I checked. I bought Cowperthwaite a reproduction American air ship officers collar pin, it cost me $50.

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: