The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2019, 10:54:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 285737 times)
deadsweetheart
« Reply #425 on: January 12, 2010, 11:38:18 pm »

Still haven't even lifted a tool at the poor clock. I like the idea of replacing it with an up-to-date mechanism inside, and going at it for the parts, but nah.

Once I find an even more complete, or working clock with gears and stuff inside, maybe then i'll go at it.

The chimes are gonna be my favorite piece from there though. Learning to play songs on it, and taking it to my bands live shows would be friggin awesome.

Watch this video clip, it shows what bushing wear looks like and will teach you what to look for when inspecting an old clock. Pull the slider up to the 6 minute mark to start, there is a lot of nonsense and self-promotion before that.
Dr. Time's Clock Repair-Part 1-Antique Clock Overhaul

But at least a clock is much easier to work on than a watch and the parts are easier to make.

Mr. Moonchylde
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #426 on: January 18, 2010, 06:45:42 am »

These aren't really flea-market finds, as I didn't actually pay for ANY of them, but as trash-picking goes, I'm pretty proud of this haul. Especially since it's all from the same place.

There's an old former-L&N / currently CSX train yard about 25 yards from my old house. It's currently used primarily for storage (mostly railcars), and nearly all the buildings in the yard have been abandoned, as far as I'm aware, since the late 70's (the yard itself dates back to the 1860's). While I couldn't get permission from CSX to remove any scrap metal, for obvious reasons, they did give me permission to take whatever I wanted out of the buildings and from the grounds between the main line and storage tracks. Holy crap, the stuff I found.

To give you an idea of where I was searching, here's an arial shot of the yard (and this is only the south half of it):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, on to the swag.

A funky-looking timer from the diesel pumps.

One funky-looking timer, dismantled for parts (it's ok, I have three).

Another even funkier-looking timer.

Some sort of switch box. The switches are the type that spring back after you push them.

Same box, opened.

An old knife switch with a ceramic base. I was very happy when I found that one...

A couple of old alarm bells. The one on the left's in pretty bad shape, so it'll likely be torn apart soon. The one on the right, well... we hooked a jump box to it, and it still works. It took about two days for my hearing to completly come back...

A 15 amp circuit breaker, with massive switch and hardware.

Same as above, but assembled.

A small selection of resistors, transistors, fuses, and god-only-knows stuff... there's a lot more where these came from.

A telecode relay box.

The inside of the telecode relay box. Yes, those are mud-wasp nests in there... thank the gods they weren't occupied.

An old, rusty acytalene wrench. Personally, if you're going for any sort of steam mechanic look, I'd say these are a must have... and they're still in production, so they're not hard to find.

An old boiler tank. There's a lot of surface rust, but surpisingly it's pretty much intact. And it even had the liquid level gauge on the top! Giggity!

An old ceramic electrical insulator. I don't know much about ceramic insulators, but I sold one of these at a yard sale last year for $5 American, and the guy literally RAN to his car, got the money, took the thing, and RAN BACK to his car and locked it up... so I'm assuming it's worth more then $5. And I have about six dozen of these plus similar ones (plate style, different colors, clear/blue glass hemmingray 42's, ect). I'm gonna have to research these a bit more...

Now, for the holy grail finds, IMHO:

BIG-ASSED voltameter. It's about six inches in diameter, three inches tall not counting the mounting bolts on the back, and weighs in at about ten pounds. And yes, it measures up to 500 volts.  Grin

And last but not least... a computer control station for the earlier-ransacked diesel pumps. Say hello to my next computer case  Grin

Plenty of room on the inside... at least after I cleared out the wasp's nests. That was NOT a pleasant suprise...

And this is just the tip of the iceburg. There's quite a bit more stuff still in the yard that we're going back for, as soon as the weather clears (including a couple dozen 4-foot diameter spotlights... well, as soon as we figure out how to get them off the 90 foot towers Tongue). Not to mention that there's still a lot of stuff around my house that's either buried in storage, or I'm just not sure where I put them.

They're around here somewhere...

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:47:13 am by Mr. Moonchylde » Logged
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #427 on: January 18, 2010, 09:38:06 am »

Crikey that is a good haul! I think half of the excitement is finding all these things hidden away in some abandoned building, and thinking back to when it was last used...

Now, if you could only find a loco hiding in a corner.. Grin

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
von Klank
Snr. Officer

"Und now vher did I leef mein goggles?"

« Reply #428 on: January 18, 2010, 02:09:35 pm »

Way to score, there, Mr. Moonchylde. There's probably lots more where that came from, too.

(#%&@*^! lucky son-of-a hamster washer!)

Maschinenkontrol ist fur only Experten Technischens! Gerverken by das Dumnkopfen ist Striktly Verboten!
Mr. Moonchylde
Officer

« Reply #429 on: January 18, 2010, 09:18:37 pm »

Thanks. Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's more out in the yard... a couple of the buildings are inaccessible due to structural damage or, in one case, a massive fire in the 70's (frankly I'm non too comfortable picking from that building anyway... a lot of people died in that fire, and it feels a bit too much like grave robbery). Not to mention that there's rumors of more buildings tucked away in the woods between the yard and the river I've yet to explore; I'm waiting for the ground to dry out a bit, and then I'll be going back down there. And, like I said, I still have a lot more stuff I didn't photograph because it's in storage or buried somewhere inaccessible; I'll try and get pics of them in the future.

Not to mention I thought I saw an old 50 pound gear motor in the cellar of one of those buildings... it's pretty rusted, but it'd be worth dismantling for the 8" drive gears...

In any case, I'll be back down there first thing in the spring, especially as I've heard they may be leveling the old buildings in hopes of reopening the yard.

Now, if you could only find a loco hiding in a corner.. Grin

Actually... there's several tucked away down there, but the south end of the yard is being leased by a pipe factory and a rail car restoration company, and that's where they're stored. I wish I could poke around down there, as I've heard that the original 1890's turntable is still down there and in use.
Rao
Snr. Officer

TheGeekFather
« Reply #430 on: January 21, 2010, 01:47:28 am »

Mr Moonchylde, I'm coming to spend the weekend with you guys and we will figure out those spotlights.....LOL nice haul...And I bet there are LOTS more to scrounge....Um repurpose.

Raolin Aeromancer

Tinkerer
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #431 on: January 21, 2010, 08:53:22 pm »

These aren't really flea-market finds, as I didn't actually pay for ANY of them, but as trash-picking goes, I'm pretty proud of this haul. Especially since it's all from the same place.

There's an old former-L&N / currently CSX train yard about 25 yards from my old house. It's currently used primarily for storage (mostly railcars), and nearly all the buildings in the yard have been abandoned, as far as I'm aware, since the late 70's (the yard itself dates back to the 1860's). While I couldn't get permission from CSX to remove any scrap metal, for obvious reasons, they did give me permission to take whatever I wanted out of the buildings and from the grounds between the main line and storage tracks. Holy crap, the stuff I found.

To give you an idea of where I was searching, here's an arial shot of the yard (and this is only the south half of it):

Anyway, on to the swag.

A funky-looking timer from the diesel pumps.

One funky-looking timer, dismantled for parts (it's ok, I have three).

Another even funkier-looking timer.

Some sort of switch box. The switches are the type that spring back after you push them.

Same box, opened.

An old knife switch with a ceramic base. I was very happy when I found that one...

A couple of old alarm bells. The one on the left's in pretty bad shape, so it'll likely be torn apart soon. The one on the right, well... we hooked a jump box to it, and it still works. It took about two days for my hearing to completly come back...

A 15 amp circuit breaker, with massive switch and hardware.

Same as above, but assembled.

A small selection of resistors, transistors, fuses, and god-only-knows stuff... there's a lot more where these came from.

A telecode relay box.

The inside of the telecode relay box. Yes, those are mud-wasp nests in there... thank the gods they weren't occupied.

An old, rusty acytalene wrench. Personally, if you're going for any sort of steam mechanic look, I'd say these are a must have... and they're still in production, so they're not hard to find.

An old boiler tank. There's a lot of surface rust, but surpisingly it's pretty much intact. And it even had the liquid level gauge on the top! Giggity!

An old ceramic electrical insulator. I don't know much about ceramic insulators, but I sold one of these at a yard sale last year for $5 American, and the guy literally RAN to his car, got the money, took the thing, and RAN BACK to his car and locked it up... so I'm assuming it's worth more then $5. And I have about six dozen of these plus similar ones (plate style, different colors, clear/blue glass hemmingray 42's, ect). I'm gonna have to research these a bit more...

Now, for the holy grail finds, IMHO:

BIG-ASSED voltameter. It's about six inches in diameter, three inches tall not counting the mounting bolts on the back, and weighs in at about ten pounds. And yes, it measures up to 500 volts.  Grin

And last but not least... a computer control station for the earlier-ransacked diesel pumps. Say hello to my next computer case  Grin

Plenty of room on the inside... at least after I cleared out the wasp's nests. That was NOT a pleasant suprise...

And this is just the tip of the iceburg. There's quite a bit more stuff still in the yard that we're going back for, as soon as the weather clears (including a couple dozen 4-foot diameter spotlights... well, as soon as we figure out how to get them off the 90 foot towers Tongue). Not to mention that there's still a lot of stuff around my house that's either buried in storage, or I'm just not sure where I put them.

They're around here somewhere...

Ohhhhhh *goes weak at the knees*
As an urban explorer of sorts and a junk aficionado, that's an amazing place Smiley

Quod me non necat me confirmat

Cappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society
Mr. Moonchylde
Officer

« Reply #432 on: January 23, 2010, 02:10:26 pm »

As an urban explorer of sorts and a junk aficionado, that's an amazing place Smiley

Yeah, if I ever find the pics I took, I'll post them up on the board. It's really a wild place to explore... I found graffiti carved into the foundation of the bridge entering the yard (the oldest wooden railroad bridge still in use in the US, really!) dated 1884. I got pictures of that, too Cheesy

Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #433 on: January 24, 2010, 09:56:06 am »

A friend gave this to me, but didn't tell me where she got it. It's a pump of some sort, though I don't know for what (water? air? insemination? Either way, I have some ideas floating about what it could be used for.

Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #434 on: January 24, 2010, 01:47:09 pm »

Either way, I have some ideas floating about what it could be used for.

Insemination? Grin

I suppose it is time a posted a few photos of things I have picked up at the flea markets...

Solid copper and brass telephone (being brought back to life as we speak):

Tin of Very Large Fuses (the larges being rated to 120A)

A very odd...light?

And lastly, mysterious electronic thing inna box. Possibly something to do with radio?
twilightbanana
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #435 on: January 24, 2010, 02:09:33 pm »

The thing in a box doesn't look very complex. Maybe just a step-down power converter? Maybe the stacked disks form an AC/DC converter.

The screen between those light holders - is that frosted glass? If it is, and it were mounted to a white wall with the lights pointing towards the wall I could see that being used as an X-ray photograph viewer. Or if mounted on a table perhaps a lightbox for tracing drawings.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #436 on: January 24, 2010, 04:02:06 pm »

While it's not exactly a flea market find and not really steampunk either, I just got a lovely gift from my mother--my grandfather's Agfa Billy 1 camera. It seems to be in a working order, as it has been stored in my mum's cabinet for a couple of decades. Even the leather carrying bag is in good condition.

Pictures will come later, as I first have to recharge the batteries for my digital camera.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #437 on: January 24, 2010, 09:56:48 pm »

Yeah, if I ever find the pics I took, I'll post them up on the board. It's really a wild place to explore... I found graffiti carved into the foundation of the bridge entering the yard (the oldest wooden railroad bridge still in use in the US, really!) dated 1884. I got pictures of that, too Cheesy

Awesome. The best interesting place round here is an abandoned cordite factory. Most of it's been demolished, but there is a VAST underground diesel reservoir, which has among other things, the most immense ballcock I've ever seen Cheesy I seem to have lost the photos - if they turn up, I'll post the ones which might be of interest.
Mr Quartermaine
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #438 on: January 25, 2010, 01:13:14 am »

I was lucky enough to have found these at the local tip shop over the weekend.

I was surprised to have found it considering how well it works, I'm normally finding old rusted drills with missing parts. I was wondering though if anyone had any tips on how to make sure it keeps working several years down the track.

I was amazed though when I discovered this hiding at the bottom of a box of old switches and electrical parts.
All I need now is an Igor and a bit of time spent playing in god's domain.

Happy hunting!

I can imagine a land without war or violence, a land of peace.

And then I can see us attacking that land because they would never expect it!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #439 on: January 25, 2010, 02:16:25 am »

I was lucky enough to have found these at the local tip shop over the weekend.

I was surprised to have found it considering how well it works, I'm normally finding old rusted drills with missing parts. I was wondering though if anyone had any tips on how to make sure it keeps working several years down the track.

I was amazed though when I discovered this hiding at the bottom of a box of old switches and electrical parts.
All I need now is an Igor and a bit of time spent playing in god's domain.

Happy hunting!

What tip???

Where???

I have the day off tomorrow - I am on my way!

As far as keeping the drill working, well - use it a lot and spray it with WD40 or RP7

- or coat it with a mixture of beeswax, gum turpentine and linseed oil that you slowly heat until it all mixes, and then keep in a jar and apply to clean metal (applied to hot metal is better tha ncold metal).

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #440 on: January 25, 2010, 03:28:58 am »

Was it Reverse Art Truck? My wife got a garbage bag of modern odds and ends from there last year for $25. 

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Mr Quartermaine
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #441 on: January 25, 2010, 09:21:17 am »

What tip???

Where???

Was it Reverse Art Truck?

It was the local Hobart city Resource (tip) shop. There are two stores in Hobart, a decent sized one in the CBD while the other store is at the actual tip itself.

Thank you very much Maduncle for the tips on keeping the drill working. I feel it would be a shame to have anything happen to it considering how much effort the previous owner has put into it.

Cheers
Vondenman
Deck Hand

« Reply #442 on: January 25, 2010, 11:21:30 pm »

I found an old brass hand held single candle holder with loop for finger for 98 cent can't beat that
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #443 on: January 26, 2010, 06:50:54 am »

I found an old brass hand held single candle holder with loop for finger for 98 cent can't beat that

You can if you only pay 98 cents for it in Australia!
TechDante
Deck Hand

temporay till i finish my steampunk outfit

« Reply #444 on: January 26, 2010, 11:44:33 pm »

was wondering if anyone could help. i am coming to america for three months. could anyone point me in the direction of any good flea markets in danville area of kentucky or a short way a way as i will be without a car

Why those snipers couldn't hit an elephant at this dist...
Dr. Roger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #445 on: January 27, 2010, 01:00:15 am »

was wondering if anyone could help. i am coming to America for three months. could anyone point me in the direction of any good flea markets in danville area of kentucky or a short way a way as i will be without a car

I would recommend finding the nearest Goodwill thrift store. Though they may have a lot of new stuff, I have found some brass bits. If you are really lucky you will find something that just stands out and screams "You! Yeah You! No not you, the guy with the goggles! Yeah turn me into something awesome!". Or am I the only one who hears the voices? hmm.

Just because we are pirates does not mean we lack manners, we simply choose when and where to use them.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #446 on: January 27, 2010, 01:20:30 am »

was wondering if anyone could help. i am coming to America for three months. could anyone point me in the direction of any good flea markets in danville area of kentucky or a short way a way as i will be without a car

I would recommend finding the nearest Goodwill thrift store. Though they may have a lot of new stuff, I have found some brass bits. If you are really lucky you will find something that just stands out and screams "You! Yeah You! No not you, the guy with the goggles! Yeah turn me into something awesome!". Or am I the only one who hears the voices? hmm.

Yeah I hear them too.

...All of the time.

...And in my sleep.

Kaljaia
Snr. Officer

« Reply #447 on: January 27, 2010, 03:47:10 am »

Ok, so not exactly a flea market, but on the theme of things that were once wandering in the abyss of non-use and have now been found and loved by a kindred spirit, here's what I found on the last spelunking expedition into our upstairs closet. Yes, closet. Yay for parents who never, ever throw things away!

Apparently, photography, like bad poetry, runs in the family. All of these were once purchased new, used until outdated, and upgraded. Said old models were carefully packed with all their parts, pieces, leftover film and flash cubes, and instructions, and forgotten.

Developing tank, with slide holders intact-

Small point-n-shoot, early 1900's, I think?

Early video camera, 1930's-40's

Folding camera, still in really good shape. (One of these went on e-bay for about a dollar a week ago, btw.)

Now if I can find film and someone who will teach me how to use them... (And time. Lots and lots of time. Because I have none right now!)

Every good "Why" deserves a "Why Not?"
Mr. Moonchylde
Officer

« Reply #448 on: January 27, 2010, 05:31:36 am »

was wondering if anyone could help. i am coming to america for three months. could anyone point me in the direction of any good flea markets in danville area of kentucky or a short way a way as i will be without a car

Welcome to Kentucky, mate! Our unofficial motto: "Yeah, well, at least we're not Ohio."

Danville's a bit south of my haunts, though as I remember it's beautiful country down there... but luckily google maps saves the day again. Looks like you're in luck for flea markets and antique malls, my friend: there's about a dozen of them in a fifteen mile radius. We take our flea markets seriously in the land of bluegrass and moonshine, my friend. And if you can get a ride somehow, there's two or three more about half an hour north on I-75, which is pretty close to where I live.
theDapperDocent
Snr. Officer

« Reply #449 on: January 27, 2010, 03:53:08 pm »

We take our flea markets seriously in the land of bluegrass and moonshine, my friend...

I wish everyone did, I've been to several down here in central Florida and it's all car stereos, brightly colored dollar store junk, and bootleg or adult movies.   I wish I could get back to my childhood days in north Georgia when the flea markets routinely had veritable gold mines of broken antiques and interesting odds and ends.  Sadly I did not know then what my interests would be now so I looked them over as worthless.

"Every revolutionary idea seems to evoke three stages of reaction. They may be summed up by the phrases: One, it's completely impossible. Two, it's possible, but it's not worth doing. Three, I said it was a good idea all along." - Arthur C. Clarke
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: