The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 09:33:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 283765 times)
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #400 on: January 03, 2010, 08:12:08 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The pile contains:

[...]
- One old engineering tool (to use for scribing)
[...]

That looks like a surface gauge. I don't believe they're used for scribing; I'm not sure the point would stand up to it. I'm fairly certain (although I may be mistaken) that a surface gauge is used in conjunction with a surface plate (which is simply a large metal plate with a machined-flat surface) to obtain precise measurements of the height of various points on an object above the base plane. One places the object to be measured on the surface plate, lightly rests the point of the gauge on the top of the object, screws down the clamps, removes the object, and calipers the distance from the surface plate to the feeler point. The sharpened tip merely serves to provide the smallest possible point of contact, to eliminate errors from an uneven or sloping surface.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #401 on: January 03, 2010, 06:03:06 pm »

Hallward you are SO lucky that I have a large head.

Whilst trawling the Camberwell market with fellow Antipodeans Hallward and Rowan of Rin (and meeting Sorontar and Horse Brass along the way) I manged to procure the following items...

The pile contains:

- One old working electric fan with exposed oscillating mechanism
- One old brass tube with wick inside
- Two tiny screwdrivers with brass collets (for the collets really)
- One glass syringe with cardboard tube
- One old tin of grease
- One black electrical plug (the one on the fan is white)
- Two brass coat hooks (to use for triggers)
- And one amazing pair of mint condition white bakelite goggles with green lenses and original box, made for anti-aircraft gun use (only $20!!!)

Oh yes - and for my good lady wife...

- One excellent condition adjustable dress makers dummy

A very good start to the year at Camberwell market.

Those goggles are marvelous !

I am a freak in control not a control freak
von Klank
Snr. Officer
United States United States

"Und now vher did I leef mein goggles?"

« Reply #402 on: January 03, 2010, 09:42:09 pm »

[...]

That looks like a surface gauge. I don't believe they're used for scribing; I'm not sure the point would stand up to it.

A surface gauge can most certainly be used for scribing. They can be used to transfer height information from a known sample to a part to be worked on. Usually, you would use a machinist's bluing compound on the item to be scribed. Once it dries, any sharp tool can be used to scratch off the bluing quite easily. Surface gauges have other uses, as well - holders for light measurement indicators, center marking on a cylindrical object, and quite a few other uses. Handy to have several about.

Maschinenkontrol ist fur only Experten Technischens! Gerverken by das Dumnkopfen ist Striktly Verboten!
deadsweetheart
« Reply #403 on: January 03, 2010, 10:57:25 pm »

Not truely a fleamarket find but today I picked up a new-in-box brass sextant for $19.99 USDollars.

That's not such a bad price for what is probably a reproduction from somewhere like India.

The market (and I mean both eBay and antique stores) seems to be filling up with 'antique style' brass sextants, compasses, telescopes, etc  - all in wooden boxes and all from India.

Where do they get all the brass to make all these reproductions?

well as of last year our current president of the US made a deal with china to sell all our spent brass ammunition ground up  instead of doing what they used to do and sell it to people here for relaoding ( you can relaod ammo safely a few times actually). Funny thing is he was getting mroe selling it to the reloaders back than,   than selling it to china now
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #404 on: January 05, 2010, 10:06:31 am »

Look what I found thrown out in Manhattan. It's a 1927 Bell and Howell Filmo silent movie projector, and it looks to be in decent shape

darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #405 on: January 05, 2010, 10:28:22 am »

Amazing Will, an awesome find and I am glad you rescued it. If it ever needs a good home.....*hint hint*

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #406 on: January 05, 2010, 12:37:32 pm »

Lucky man!!!...What a find. It's unbelievable that people (or barbarian) throw something like that away.

(Maybe it's better like this, because now it has a loving and caring home  Smiley )

Congratz!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:39:45 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #407 on: January 05, 2010, 01:40:48 pm »

Absolutely beautiful, old projectors were such wonders of engineering. I have a slightly later Bell and Howell projector, with a fantastic engine inspired design. I really should take a photo of it..

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #408 on: January 05, 2010, 01:54:22 pm »

Lucky man!!!...What a find. It's unbelievable that people (or barbarian) throw something like that away.

(Maybe it's better like this, because now it has a loving and caring home  Smiley )
Congratz!

Don't give me too much credit, I've already put it on Ebay.
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #409 on: January 05, 2010, 02:07:35 pm »

well thats much better than it ending up in a landfill or some such

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
theDapperDocent
Snr. Officer

« Reply #410 on: January 05, 2010, 03:49:04 pm »

well thats much better than it ending up in a landfill or some such

Very true, I was reading the other day about someone who rescued one of the 480 or so remaining, intact, RCA Theremins from the dump when an owner who did not know what it was had left it at the curb for the trash collectors.   That would have been a terrible shame.    Fortunately he recognized it and, not having room for it, paid out of pocket to ship it to a collector he found the number for.

"Every revolutionary idea seems to evoke three stages of reaction. They may be summed up by the phrases: One, it's completely impossible. Two, it's possible, but it's not worth doing. Three, I said it was a good idea all along." - Arthur C. Clarke
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #411 on: January 05, 2010, 03:55:18 pm »

Congratz!

Hmmm...okay, fallen for $'s instead of the ancient beauty. What a downer. 
But it still gets a loving and caring home though.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #412 on: January 06, 2010, 01:26:38 am »

Congratz!

Hmmm...okay, fallen for $'s instead of the ancient beauty. What a downer.  
But it still gets a loving and caring home though.

Quite. And if no one rises to my $69 opening bid, I'll proudly display it myself.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:55:00 pm by WillRockwell » Logged
passbyguy
Officer

« Reply #413 on: January 06, 2010, 11:44:15 pm »

I went to a goodwill near the USC campus today. Found this for 10 dollars.

The clock mechanism doesn't move anymore, but the chimes work. Here's a video of it.

It was totally worth the 2 hours bus trip and mile walk.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #414 on: January 08, 2010, 01:58:13 pm »

The clock mechanism doesn't move anymore, but the chimes work. Here's a video of it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31312651@N07/4251678713/#secret4bf8ab2bc0-w500-h375

With all due respect to the memory of that magnificent clockworks, in a half hour I would reduce it to a box of usable gears and install an electric mechanism into the case.
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

i´m the terror of the skies but a danger to myself

http://twitter.com/PockyN
« Reply #415 on: January 08, 2010, 02:03:59 pm »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31312651@N07/4251678713/#secret4bf8ab2bc0-w500-h375

aww this is tooo cute,, i need to go to a flea market...

(Will you are a Babarian ôo)

Der Tinkermann
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

keeper of scapegoats,sitting ducks,and black sheep

brosiman
« Reply #416 on: January 08, 2010, 06:09:59 pm »

Great find and I agree this should not be de-gearified.
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

i´m the terror of the skies but a danger to myself

http://twitter.com/PockyN
« Reply #417 on: January 08, 2010, 06:14:10 pm »

INDEED!!!
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #418 on: January 08, 2010, 08:17:02 pm »

The clock is very nice.

Maybe the spring is simply wound up too tight. Then it would be a shame to break it up. However i can understand Will's 'gear-greed'.
I have de-geared a lot of stuff in my life just to find out that it was better off in the position it came in.
I always must restrain myself not to break up things just for the zen of it.
Will however makes great stuff so he has already a purpose for it, that makes it even harder to resist.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:29:47 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #419 on: January 08, 2010, 09:06:59 pm »

The clock is very nice.

Maybe the spring is simply wound up too tight. Then it would be a shame to break it up. However i can understand Will's 'gear-greed'.
I have de-geared a lot of stuff in my life just to find out that it was better off in the position it came in.
I always must restrain myself not to break up things just for the zen of it.
Will however makes great stuff so he has already a purpose for it, that makes it even harder to resist.

After inspecting many flea market clocks, I find that most of them suffer from worn out bushings. This is a condition that can only be remedied by a complex and expensive process of reconstruction. When you see an old clock for sale, inevitably the owner says it just needs cleaning to run properly. This is almost always nonsense. Even though an old clock looks great, if it has been ticking away on the mantle for 80 years it is just plain worn out.
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #420 on: January 08, 2010, 10:39:05 pm »

You are probably right. I don't know a lot about clocks, but indeed the clocks which are know that old are all made in mass production so they are likely not of the high quality of hand made ones.

But it still plays the Big Ben chime. Doesn't that count?  Smiley

Rao
Snr. Officer

TheGeekFather
« Reply #421 on: January 08, 2010, 10:50:34 pm »

I have to agree with will...or more to the point the wife does. She hates it when I bring home things that don't work just because they are "old". But she would be cool with me putting an electric motor in it and putting it in a room on display and scavenging the gears and bits, as long as I didn't do it in the living room or on the ketchen table. (sigh...I wish I had a workshop or a basement or a secret lab hehe. Been thinking about adding a garage to our house just so I could have a room above it to tinker about in.)

Raolin Aeromancer

Tinkerer
passbyguy
Officer

« Reply #422 on: January 09, 2010, 03:16:58 am »

Still haven't even lifted a tool at the poor clock. I like the idea of replacing it with an up-to-date mechanism inside, and going at it for the parts, but nah.

Once I find an even more complete, or working clock with gears and stuff inside, maybe then i'll go at it.

The chimes are gonna be my favorite piece from there though. Learning to play songs on it, and taking it to my bands live shows would be friggin awesome.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #423 on: January 09, 2010, 01:48:04 pm »

Still haven't even lifted a tool at the poor clock. I like the idea of replacing it with an up-to-date mechanism inside, and going at it for the parts, but nah.

Once I find an even more complete, or working clock with gears and stuff inside, maybe then i'll go at it.

The chimes are gonna be my favorite piece from there though. Learning to play songs on it, and taking it to my bands live shows would be friggin awesome.

Watch this video clip, it shows what bushing wear looks like and will teach you what to look for when inspecting an old clock. Pull the slider up to the 6 minute mark to start, there is a lot of nonsense and self-promotion before that.
Dr. Time's Clock Repair-Part 1-Antique Clock OverhaulDQ
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:51:34 pm by WillRockwell » Logged
passbyguy
Officer

« Reply #424 on: January 09, 2010, 04:48:35 pm »

Darn. I think it might have that. well, I'll look at it after this weekend's convention. Then, I'll try to report back on the situation.

Update:

The main piece to turn the clock hands had been damaged. I found out about it after opening it up. I was lost cause. I kept the barrel with the etching to play the song. The rest of the pieces are gonna have to wait til after class tomorow.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:57:31 am by passbyguy » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: