The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 24, 2019, 03:26:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 277395 times)
Sulla
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Full of steam, young in punk.

« Reply #375 on: December 15, 2009, 04:30:21 pm »

I have an idea for the dark copper door plate...

How about a steampunk HAL monitor?

(Just put a lens and a red LED in the handle hole).

Ha!  Awesome idea!

-Andy
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #376 on: December 15, 2009, 04:32:10 pm »

I have an idea for the dark copper door plate...

How about a steampunk HAL monitor?

(Just put a lens and a red LED in the handle hole).

Ha!  Awesome idea!

But it would need a voice..
''I say, Dave, old chap, would you mind awfully not doing that.''

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #377 on: December 16, 2009, 10:11:11 am »

I'm thinking of making a steampunk HAL. In the local Poundland, they have fake CCTV globes to deter burglers, you know, those black domes? A red LED in one of those, set in the guts of an old naval compas or sextant case, and its Pimms o clock. You could even record some little phrases for him to say, motion sensor it....

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Absinthe Dreamer
Officer

What is hidden in an empty box?

« Reply #378 on: December 17, 2009, 02:28:07 am »

I found these drafting tools in a consignment shop / indoor fleamarket.
The tools in the wood box are brass and steel and the box was marked made in France.
The black box is probably only about 40 years old.

http://auroboros51.deviantart.com/art/Drafting-Tools-146994254

I also found this cool TimeOmeter. It is used to measure power use of equipment plugged into it. The actual measuring device is next to thebox. I had already started to disassemble it when I remembered I wanted to photograph it. I was thinking of rebuilding it with a teak box and brass fittings. At the very least I will need to rewire it. Not bad for a $1.00 investment.

http://auroboros51.deviantart.com/art/TimeOmeter-146994436

Remember Feldstien's Law - Never, ever play leapfrog with a unicorn.
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #379 on: December 17, 2009, 03:19:31 am »

I found these drafting tools in a consignment shop / indoor fleamarket.
The tools in the wood box are brass and steel and the box was marked made in France.
The black box is probably only about 40 years old.

http://auroboros51.deviantart.com/art/Drafting-Tools-146994254

I also found this cool TimeOmeter. It is used to measure power use of equipment plugged into it. The actual measuring device is next to thebox. I had already started to disassemble it when I remembered I wanted to photograph it. I was thinking of rebuilding it with a teak box and brass fittings. At the very least I will need to rewire it. Not bad for a $1.00 investment.

http://auroboros51.deviantart.com/art/TimeOmeter-146994436

Love the TimeOmeter! What a find!

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #380 on: December 17, 2009, 06:04:34 am »

I definitely want a TimeOmeter!

Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #381 on: December 18, 2009, 03:53:51 am »

I found these thrown out this afternoon in Manhattan. I think they are some sort of emergency lights. I hope to convert them into lamps that could have been mounted on the bulkheads of the Nautilus.

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #382 on: December 18, 2009, 08:02:35 am »

I'm thinking of making a steampunk HAL. In the local Poundland, they have fake CCTV globes to deter burglers, you know, those black domes? A red LED in one of those, set in the guts of an old naval compas or sextant case, and its Pimms o clock. You could even record some little phrases for him to say, motion sensor it....

Race you!

I am now on the hunt for a decorative rectangular door plate to make a steampunk HAL monitor for the set of '1901 - a Steampunk Odyssey'.

So will this movie feature a mysterious brass rectangle?

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #383 on: December 18, 2009, 07:29:10 pm »

The Timometer is really great! Lucky man!!

@Willrockwell: These lamps are beautifull. The patina on the glass is nice.
I myself found on vacation also a great lamp, but they wouldn't let me dig it out.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photovoltaic1/4194964929/#

I found this gogglebox which has potential and it was free:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photovoltaic1/4195707590/#

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photovoltaic1/4194949043/#

zpyder
Officer

« Reply #384 on: December 19, 2009, 12:48:10 am »

It's not really flea market...but when I was in the loft hunting for the fabled victorian glass bottles my dad has mentioned several times in the past I also came across a small and quite ornate hinged wooden box. I might be tempted at trying to put bronze around the edges or something. I also came across what looks like a basic wooden spice rack or something, which is begging to be used as a test tube holder or similiar, but sadly the stacks around about 1cm lower than the tubes!

Rev. Marx
Gunner

Nothing ever changes, unless there's some pain.

« Reply #385 on: December 19, 2009, 10:18:56 am »

I picked these up at an indoor swap meet this past summer. I only payed $1 for the pair! I haven't tested them yet to see if they work, and they need a little cleaning up, but I thought it was quite a bargain. I'm not sure yet what I am going to do with them. I suppose it depends a lot on whether or not they work.

WWW.MRXDESIGNS.COM            MRXDESIGNS.BLOGSPOT.COM           ROGUECTHULHU.ETSY.COM
zpyder
Officer

« Reply #386 on: December 19, 2009, 10:36:36 am »

Those scream either ray-gun or hand-grenade?
Moonracer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #387 on: December 21, 2009, 05:40:39 am »

I picked these up at an indoor swap meet this past summer. I only payed $1 for the pair! I haven't tested them yet to see if they work, and they need a little cleaning up, but I thought it was quite a bargain. I'm not sure yet what I am going to do with them. I suppose it depends a lot on whether or not they work.

I love those, I'd leave them more or less alone and use them as a background element in pictures.

The mind is like a parachute, its best when open.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #388 on: December 21, 2009, 12:48:56 pm »

Steampunk bicycle headlamps!

I agree with keeping them whole - too good to modify into something else.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #389 on: December 28, 2009, 02:59:11 am »

Thanks.  Actually I was thinking of something a little more... out there.

Since a lot of H.P. Lovecraft's works are currently in the public domain due to estate issues with copyright laws, and one of my side hobbies is binding books, I was thinking of binding a custom HP Lovecraft book for myself and mount this brass piece to the cover with a glass eye or something mounted int he knob hole.

How about using it as a piece on the spine? In that case, it would make a nice decorative piece also when it's sitting on the bookshelf. Smiley

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #390 on: December 28, 2009, 03:55:29 am »

While visiting my parents, I ransacked my father's bits and bobs, to see what I could find.

I came away with a few interesting goodies, but have little idea yet to what use I may put them. I came away with the insides of a video projector (lenses, mirrors, etc.), a slightly falling apart iron candle-lamp and the peephole from a door (would make a good weapon-sight, I imagine). He also has a drawer full of old springs, which I figure might come in handy if I have the right need for them.

I like that my family have hobbity hoarding tendencies.
deadsweetheart
« Reply #391 on: December 29, 2009, 12:40:47 am »

lets see over the weekend i found 2 complete sewing machine accerory tins which have almost exactly the same thing in them made by the same company but one has a velvet liner and the otehr cardboard and one of the tins is marked accersories but the otehr is marked  Rotary but both have  " rufflers"  and " hemmers" inside.  I payed 10 dollars for both .    lets see i also came across a book " the memorial life of queen victoria" Published in 1901 and i got taht for 5 dollars , i also aquired a skeleton key that went to something in a chruch cause it has the pius simble  with the P with an x on its leg on it, also ahs a serial number on it.    ummlets see what else umm oh a ww2 sailors blue wool top ( the one with the hankercheif thing hanging off the back ) payed 10 dollars for that and im gonna use that in a pinup shoot soon if i can find a model with a size 36 or smaller chest and isnt allergic to wool.            Oh also got a book on teh great baltimore fire of 1904 published the year it happened ( and it actually says  souveneir on it ).     lets see what else of got my girl lizzie a pair of vintage french binoculars for 10 dolalrs with the original case and they worked and wernt cracked .                 I got all these things withing the last 3 days
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

i´m the terror of the skies but a danger to myself

http://twitter.com/PockyN
« Reply #392 on: December 29, 2009, 02:53:25 am »

O.O these goggles are AMAZING!!!!

Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #393 on: January 02, 2010, 05:11:30 am »

Not truely a fleamarket find but today I picked up a new-in-box brass sextant for $19.99 USDollars.

Sir Robert, Soldier, Gentleman Adventurer, all around nice guy.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #394 on: January 02, 2010, 12:00:02 pm »

Not truely a fleamarket find but today I picked up a new-in-box brass sextant for $19.99 USDollars.

That's not such a bad price for what is probably a reproduction from somewhere like India.

The market (and I mean both eBay and antique stores) seems to be filling up with 'antique style' brass sextants, compasses, telescopes, etc  - all in wooden boxes and all from India.

Where do they get all the brass to make all these reproductions?
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #395 on: January 02, 2010, 03:55:38 pm »

Where do they get all the brass to make all these reproductions?

They (China, India) buy everything from the european and american market because they are the fast growing economies know. They stack huge supplies just because they can afford it.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #396 on: January 02, 2010, 04:28:37 pm »

India does oddly seem to be almost exclusively the source of new brass reproductions, including some incredibly high quality ones, such as this.

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #397 on: January 02, 2010, 07:14:09 pm »

India does oddly seem to be almost exclusively the source of new brass reproductions, including some incredibly high quality ones, such as this.

India has always been into copper and brass bits and pieces. As the 'new world' (we) are into RVS and Aluminum. There are therefor a whole lot more craftsmen. Professionals who have found a lucrative new market.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:16:39 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
Hallward
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Le Renard

« Reply #398 on: January 03, 2010, 03:41:01 am »

This morning early in the morning; why do markets have to be early in the morning; a few of us Melbournians met at the Camberwell Market. Of my two purchases for the day I am proud to present... 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My "new" collapsable Henry Heath top hat! While not being in the best condition at the moment it was in my opinion a steal at only $50. I shall endeavour to get the hat repaired as best as possible and hopefully restore it to its former glory.

My other purchase for the day is something I have dubbed "the brass pumpy thingy"
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #399 on: January 03, 2010, 05:59:57 am »

Hallward you are SO lucky that I have a large head.

Whilst trawling the Camberwell market with fellow Antipodeans Hallward and Rowan of Rin (and meeting Sorontar and Horse Brass along the way) I manged to procure the following items...

The pile contains:

- One old working electric fan with exposed oscillating mechanism
- One old brass tube with wick inside
- Two tiny screwdrivers with brass collets (for the collets really)
- One glass syringe with cardboard tube
- One old tin of grease
- One black electrical plug (the one on the fan is white)
- Two brass coat hooks (to use for triggers)
- One old engineering tool (to use for scribing)
- And one amazing pair of mint condition white bakelite goggles with green lenses and original box, made for anti-aircraft gun use (only $20!!!)

Oh yes - and for my good lady wife...

- One excellent condition adjustable dress makers dummy

A very good start to the year at Camberwell market.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: