The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 05:16:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 283756 times)
von Klank
Snr. Officer
United States United States

"Und now vher did I leef mein goggles?"

« Reply #350 on: November 22, 2009, 09:03:12 pm »

Mmmm... Barbarella. Retro-tasty indeed.

Maschinenkontrol ist fur only Experten Technischens! Gerverken by das Dumnkopfen ist Striktly Verboten!
Artorius
Officer

Gentleman of Opportunity

« Reply #351 on: November 22, 2009, 10:18:35 pm »

Went shopping today to outfit the Galley in the Ceilidh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Cask of Amontillado was from ebay for $20, Soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it lol.

Everything else was yard sales and salvage shops today.
The cask will be the cold water faucet. That bronze trash can will be the sink and be plumbed right in place.

Got some wooden bowls. Nice thick dark ones. Had plenty of pewter plates already, now all I need are some fancy plates and a few more utensils and brass pots & pans.

All for under $40 total! The brass silverware set cost the most at $25 but it's beautifully and will fit perfectly at a captains table.
Getting closer to having a Pirate ship to live in yay!

The Right and Honorable Lord Mnkeeboy, Chief Jester to The King and Plotter of Evil Machiavellian Plots, Puller of Strings, Dastardly Abuser of Love, Hypnotizer of Truth and Whose True Power remains Hidden by a Position of Seeming Inconsequence.

Off-The-Grid
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #352 on: November 23, 2009, 12:15:48 am »

Getting closer to having a Pirate ship to live in YARRRR!

Fixed.

Wink

Artorius
Officer

Gentleman of Opportunity

« Reply #353 on: November 23, 2009, 04:12:09 am »

hahaa and well done too!
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #354 on: November 25, 2009, 01:08:50 pm »

hahaa and well done too!
I'm following the progress of Ceilidh, can't wait to see more.

Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #355 on: November 25, 2009, 09:59:02 pm »

Those items look amazing.

My neighbour lives in a Victorian house opposite us, and they had a junk clear out - everything was put in their front garden...so we bought all the rusty, clockwork parts, bolts and bits of junk and we use the parts to build little robots...and miniature devices that end up in our films...

Steampunk Tree SnowDQ

Nothing quite as amazing as what you have found though! I guess the UK has smaller fleas!

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Artorius
Officer

Gentleman of Opportunity

« Reply #356 on: November 25, 2009, 10:14:43 pm »

Shocked wow! I'm gonna be using that eye pop icon a lot. Awesome video
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #357 on: December 01, 2009, 12:10:06 am »

Now I like to share with you all one of my treasures. It's not real steampunk, but for me it has a great 'Mad Scientist'- feel over it.
I got it from my boss for free, because it was obsolete and very much in the way.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photovoltaic1/4117692161/#

That is an absolutely fantastic microscope! I love it as it is, super industrial looking! I must say, microscopes from every era in history are absolutely beautiful.

My flea market score today was a mint copy of Life magazine (Australian edition) with an icon (complete with iconic side arm) on the cover...

So it was you! The guy who sold you that said someone with a hat said I was excited about an auction, I knew it was you Wink

My best find at the market on Sunday:

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Madame Jane
Deck Hand

I was given the rules. And now I'm breaking them.

« Reply #358 on: December 01, 2009, 12:44:45 am »

Now I like to share with you all one of my treasures. It's not real steampunk, but for me it has a great 'Mad Scientist'- feel over it.
I got it from my boss for free, because it was obsolete and very much in the way.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photovoltaic1/4117692161/#

That is an absolutely fantastic microscope! I love it as it is, super industrial looking! I must say, microscopes from every era in history are absolutely beautiful.

My flea market score today was a mint copy of Life magazine (Australian edition) with an icon (complete with iconic side arm) on the cover...

So it was you! The guy who sold you that said someone with a hat said I was excited about an auction, I knew it was you Wink

My best find at the market on Sunday:

Nice find. Have a plan for them?

Love,
    M.J.
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #359 on: December 01, 2009, 08:22:43 pm »

@ Rowan: That gauge you hold in your hand is a real stunner. Great find!!
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #360 on: December 02, 2009, 01:20:59 am »

Those gauges are stunning! I can think of a thousand uses for them...well quite a few anyway...

Lucky you!
Sulla
Snr. Officer

Full of steam, young in punk.

« Reply #361 on: December 02, 2009, 03:13:14 am »

Not exactly flea market, but my dad gave me these.

The dark colored one is solid copper maybe brass.  I scratched the back to see what's under all that tarnish, and I am pretty sure it's solid copper.  I have no idea where he got this thing.

The white ones are steel and have been painted at least three times.  I only have one knob set.  They were on the original worm eaten solid wood doors of thier ffirst and only home when my folks moved in to the place in the sixties.  The house was built in the thirties.

More images can be seen here: http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/boozee2/steampunk/

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:14:55 am by Sulla » Logged

-Andy
Der Tinkermann
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

keeper of scapegoats,sitting ducks,and black sheep

brosiman
« Reply #362 on: December 02, 2009, 06:25:25 pm »

I really like the dark one,nice pattern there.Maybe useful for a light/lamp project?
Sulla
Snr. Officer

Full of steam, young in punk.

« Reply #363 on: December 02, 2009, 06:50:25 pm »

I really like the dark one,nice pattern there.Maybe useful for a light/lamp project?
Thanks.  Actually I was thinking of something a little more... out there.

Since a lot of H.P. Lovecraft's works are currently in the public domain due to estate issues with copyright laws, and one of my side hobbies is binding books, I was thinking of binding a custom HP Lovecraft book for myself and mount this brass piece to the cover with a glass eye or something mounted int he knob hole.
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #364 on: December 03, 2009, 12:36:31 am »

Those items look amazing.

My neighbour lives in a Victorian house opposite us, and they had a junk clear out - everything was put in their front garden...so we bought all the rusty, clockwork parts, bolts and bits of junk and we use the parts to build little robots...and miniature devices that end up in our films...

Steampunk Tree Snow

Nothing quite as amazing as what you have found though! I guess the UK has smaller fleas!

nice video and i love that track Smiley

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #365 on: December 03, 2009, 01:15:23 am »

Thank you Oswald!

We are currently working on another Victorianesque music video with (what we consider to be) our more steampunk instrumentation...

It's for the song called "Written in Stone".

You can preview a bit of it here...
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/moth093

If you are interested, our music is all made in our front room with a huge Victorian engraving overlooking our recording studio...many of the instruments we use are flea market finds as well...

My favourite instrument is Waves of Nightingales - a very rare English version of an Indian instrument... a charity shop phoned my bakelite phone in order to alert me to the fact that this odd instrument had come into the shop and they didn't know what it was...they knew I played a lot of instruments and called me in to have a look. I had never seen anything like it - half banjo, half saxophone...a really creepy, metallic sound...and we've used it on several of our songs...it's thoroughly lovely!

http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Moth for all of our strange and quirky music...
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #366 on: December 03, 2009, 07:21:43 am »

Thanks everyone for the comments on the gauges! Hard to say what I will do with them, a few will go into measuring pressure, temperature etc, and I have been quite inspired by Professor Fzz's internet usage meter, so that could be in the works...

The dark colored one is solid copper maybe brass.  I scratched the back to see what's under all that tarnish, and I am pretty sure it's solid copper.  I have no idea where he got this thing.
That is a beautiful door plate! I absolutely love old door hardware, I think it gets a lot less attention than it should. I might take a picture of some of the hardware I have collected (now all I need is a house to attach it to Wink).
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #367 on: December 03, 2009, 09:01:42 pm »

Thanks.  Actually I was thinking of something a little more... out there.

Since a lot of H.P. Lovecraft's works are currently in the public domain due to estate issues with copyright laws, and one of my side hobbies is binding books, I was thinking of binding a custom HP Lovecraft book for myself and mount this brass piece to the cover with a glass eye or something mounted int he knob hole.

That's a great idea!

I have also binded some books, but that is quit some years ago. Not very fancy work, just plain hardcover lumbecking.
I have still some good ideas for some of my books. My main problem is youthful enthusiasm when it comes to starting with new projects and never finishing them.

Oh.....and did i mention that it is a great idea?
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #368 on: December 06, 2009, 09:37:27 pm »

Not really flea market, but a antiques/junk shop in Williamstown, Melbourne.

These are old underwater lights that were used in the southbank area area. Appear to be cast bronze or brass.
von Klank
Snr. Officer

"Und now vher did I leef mein goggles?"

« Reply #369 on: December 07, 2009, 02:11:14 am »

If not used for their intended purpose, those light housings would make some amazing speaker assemblies.
Madame Jane
Deck Hand

I was given the rules. And now I'm breaking them.

« Reply #370 on: December 07, 2009, 02:19:40 am »

If not used for their intended purpose, those light housings would make some amazing speaker assemblies.

I would love to see that idea come to life.
Marauder_Pilot
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

Goggles down and the cannons up!

« Reply #371 on: December 07, 2009, 05:00:23 am »

If the lights are powerful enough, they'd also make fantastic lights on a steampunk car build.
Nitr0gene
Gunner

Nitr0gene
« Reply #372 on: December 07, 2009, 04:38:47 pm »

I picked up this skirt from a Charity Shop (UK, not really a flea market per se) and customized it by spraying cogs and gears using brass spray paint.

Afternoon ol' bean! Now where is one legally allowed to park one's airship?
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #373 on: December 15, 2009, 11:51:39 am »

The dark colored one is solid copper maybe brass.  I scratched the back to see what's under all that tarnish, and I am pretty sure it's solid copper.  I have no idea where he got this thing.

The white ones are steel and have been painted at least three times.  I only have one knob set.  They were on the original worm eaten solid wood doors of thier ffirst and only home when my folks moved in to the place in the sixties.  The house was built in the thirties.

More images can be seen here: http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/boozee2/steampunk/

I have an idea for the dark copper door plate...

How about a steampunk HAL monitor?

(Just put a lens and a red LED in the handle hole).

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #374 on: December 15, 2009, 12:02:40 pm »

Mmmmm.... Barbarella......

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: