The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 19, 2019, 03:24:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 275717 times)
The doomed one
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #325 on: October 19, 2009, 05:29:43 am »

I didn't get it at a Flea Market but a Guy gave it to me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have had my eye on a nice security clock at my local antique mall for a while...

I just don't have enough monies to obtain it.

This guy also had all the Keys for it that he gave me.
You are very lucky the one I found had none of the keys. (except the winding key)

It is kind of makes me wish I knew how to pick locks so I could get at the inside to see how it works.

That better?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 12:05:54 pm by The doomed one » Logged

Minion for hire (will work for pie).
clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #326 on: October 19, 2009, 06:34:57 pm »

Could you do us all a favour 'The Doomed One' and please change the colour of your font. Its rather hard to read to say the least. 

I am a freak in control not a control freak
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #327 on: October 20, 2009, 03:53:19 am »

I have had my eye on a nice security clock at my local antique mall for a while...

I just don't have enough monies to obtain it.

This guy also had all the Keys for it that he gave me.

I had a chance to pick up one of those a while ago.

I just couldn't figure out how to get it off the fellow's belt without being noticed... Tongue

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Gregor
Snr. Officer

« Reply #328 on: October 21, 2009, 12:14:55 am »

WoW, This image induced a flashback for me.

About 30 years ago I was a gate guard and once every other hour I had to trounce out and check the fencing.  I lugged one of these on a shoulder sling out to to a cement post made especially to house the small been-there-done-that key that would punch out on a piece of paper when and where I did my thing.  The regular guards had to walk around and log a couple dozen keys. THEY were guarding sekrit things like missile wiring and tank wiring and special airplane weighing stuff and the manufacturing area of all this stuff.  I was guarding a gate to where the waste solvents were stored.  Many people thought it was gasoline and tried to steal it for cars and mini bikes and stuff.  Grin

I don't know how hard it is to finesse the door lock open on the thing, but the night guards used to all the time so they could re-wind or wind forward the paper spool inside to do all their rounds in 2 hours.  Also of interest is the little station key holders. They look like little covered troughs with a heavy lidded top door that housed the station key that was bolted to the station that needed to be checked. Nice, cast brass the old ones were.

One of the 'Funny' things I would do for the amusement of visitors. I would wrap the strap around each of my shoulders such that the clock was about center on my chest. I would then walk around with a sideways tipple gate and say "bidee . .bidee . .bidee  Right On! Buck." and then be concerned that Doctor Theopolis was quite quiet today  ( youngsters please reference Buck Rogers in the 25th Century and then Twikki).

Thanks for the nudge down memory lane and Cheers - g

Could somebody Pleeease explain to my mother that it is steam PUNK not steam PIMP!?!
Milo Addle
Gunner

« Reply #329 on: October 21, 2009, 02:32:05 am »

I also got about 25 of those Number Keys, and your Welcome.
Mattheous
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #330 on: October 22, 2009, 08:51:10 pm »

On a whim, I made the mile long round trip to my local Goodwill--and on the way back stopped in at my local Pawn Shop. Boy, am I glad I did!

I got this for $20:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 08:53:44 pm by Mattheous » Logged

Legi Aut Mori
Sir L. Cuilein
Officer

Colonel Sir L. Cuilein Kings Royal Elite (Ret.)

« Reply #331 on: October 22, 2009, 08:54:31 pm »

I so do like the tombstone radios most of all..

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
–Winston Churchill
Mattheous
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #332 on: October 22, 2009, 09:13:44 pm »

I so do like the tombstone radios most of all..

This one is great! It makes using a radio a lot more...I dunno, pleasurable? Than a mass produced one would.
Mécanicien de Vapeur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #333 on: October 28, 2009, 11:07:29 pm »

Not so much a flea-market find, but I recently rescued an old wooden box from being skipped at work after we sorted out some long-forgotten cupboards.

Inside said box were a handful of gorgeous old railway pocket watches in various states of disrepair. Also within the box were a few memos dating to 1957 and detailing why some of the watches were being returned for repair.

All are open face pocket watches, engraved with an ID number on the reverse, Some are missing winders, hands, glass, and none run for more than a few seconds, if at all - but we'll be taking them to a local watchsmith to see what's salvagable and repairable.

Mécanicien de Vapeur.
Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Keep out of direct sunlight. Contains scenes of nudity & mild peril. May cause drowsiness. Suitable for vegetarians. May contain nuts.
"Bother", said Pooh as he chambered another round...
Inktank
Officer

« Reply #334 on: October 29, 2009, 12:13:02 am »

*lip quiver, eye twitch*
Such... beautiful... pocket watches.

Modern world, I'm not pleased to meet you;
you just bring me down.
Lynkhart
Officer
Scotland Scotland

Indeed.

« Reply #335 on: October 29, 2009, 12:37:17 am »

Ooh, what a find!  Shocked I love the two on the far right best of all. Cheesy
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #336 on: October 29, 2009, 06:59:35 pm »

Inside said box were a handful of gorgeous old railway pocket watches in various states of disrepair. Also within the box were a few memos dating to 1957 and detailing why some of the watches were being returned for repair.

SCORE!!!

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #337 on: November 13, 2009, 10:11:01 pm »

Just catchin up ...... but thats a damn fine clock Sir !

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Dr Celsius
Snr. Officer

« Reply #338 on: November 14, 2009, 07:46:05 am »

Here's my find from last weekend. Not bad for $20.

Dr Celsius
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #339 on: November 14, 2009, 01:12:13 pm »

Here's my find from last weekend. Not bad for $20.

Dr Celsius

Nice one!

Those old extinguishers are great for building things from (see my last post in the collective thread for guns, 'Bertha' my blunderbuss uses an extinguisher in the body).

And the syringe is just fine for display within a cabinet of curiosities

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #340 on: November 14, 2009, 11:37:27 pm »

I love the telegraph key. Someone is offering a pseudo-telegraph service which I take to be a hand delivered hardcopy email or voicemail or similar. I assume that actual telegrams no longer possible in most countries now. I wonder if India perhaps still has functioning lines?

I had to explain to son that the network of dedicated wires was required with morse keys at each end etc, but that he could easily set one up if he has a near enough pal.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Dr. Lemure
Officer

Lemure~ phantom, ghost; Lemur~ cute, fuzzy primate

« Reply #341 on: November 15, 2009, 01:10:37 am »

Found some dandy things today. Smiley

The trigger I got for a quarter and figured it too good to pass up for the possible raygun implications. That small brass helm also functions as a magnifying glass and all the handles can be unscrewed, making for a sort of nautical monocle! Cheesy Couple of gauges to steam just about anything, brass picture frame for an oversized monocle or something of the sort.

But my goal of the day was to find a couple neat glass containers! I'm gonna try and plant some moss in each, maybe make a lawn for the two card players to play on. The stopper on the other container was missing the rubber bit, but it is also hollow so I might put a little bit of moss in there too. Cheesy

All in all, a nice day at a new flea market for me!

Blow wind! Come rain! Our zeppelin fleet cannot be slain!
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #342 on: November 17, 2009, 10:06:15 am »

The better half an I went to the Blind Lemon vintage fair with the last of my pennies before the Winter of Poverty (I'm copyrighting that, lol). I got a black taffeta ballgown for £25, a 1950s style pinny (red with white spots) for £8 and an oiginal 1940s straw cloche hat, which I adore.

Not as good as last year, too much 60/70/80s clothing, a bit disappointing but I still love what I got. Next time we will go to the one that just sells Victorian to 1940s items....

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #343 on: November 17, 2009, 12:19:12 pm »

The better half an I went to the Blind Lemon vintage fair with the last of my pennies before the Winter of Poverty (I'm copyrighting that, lol). I got a black taffeta ballgown for £25, a 1950s style pinny (red with white spots) for £8 and an oiginal 1940s straw cloche hat, which I adore.

Not as good as last year, too much 60/70/80s clothing, a bit disappointing but I still love what I got. Next time we will go to the one that just sells Victorian to 1940s items....
I had the same problem with the one here. Almost everything was post-1950, and 98% women's clothing. I felt more out of place than I do walking around in garb amongst everyone else.

Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy
TechDante
Deck Hand

temporay till i finish my steampunk outfit

« Reply #344 on: November 20, 2009, 01:23:53 am »

this may be a bit of a stupid question but where would one find a flea market in the uk. is it a case of the old car boot sale on a sunday morning but with a different name.

many thanks

Why those snipers couldn't hit an elephant at this dist...
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #345 on: November 20, 2009, 08:13:50 am »

this may be a bit of a stupid question but where would one find a flea market in the uk. is it a case of the old car boot sale on a sunday morning but with a different name.

many thanks

Yes, that would be exactly it.

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/othertypes.cfm?type=Market
Nitr0gene
Gunner

Nitr0gene
« Reply #346 on: November 20, 2009, 03:09:29 pm »

many thanks

Yes, that would be exactly it.

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/othertypes.cfm?type=Market

Crikey! Thank you Endaevour Cull, considering you're in the Netherlands and you managed to advise us on UK car boots.

I'm very privvy to charity shops in the UK, amongst all the tat and smelly clothing I've managed to find a GORGEOUS pair of lace-up leather Victorian boots in my size as well as various bits of clothing I can customize.

Afternoon ol' bean! Now where is one legally allowed to park one's airship?
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #347 on: November 21, 2009, 09:38:04 am »

Hmm, that site wasn't very helpful, I know of two regular boot sales that occur in Cardiff regularly that were not listed, so who knows how many others are not on there! On the other hand, the one that is right outside my house is listed, so now you all know where I live hahahahaha!
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #348 on: November 21, 2009, 02:41:33 pm »

Well......It was't exactly steamrocket science. Undecided

i just Googled 'Fleamarket Great Britain' and this was the first to come up.

Therefore I do think that if you Google with the name of your own town or district you will find lots more.

But i am happy I could be of assistance.

Now I like to share with you all one of my treasures. It's not real steampunk, but for me it has a great 'Mad Scientist'- feel over it.
I got it from my boss for free, because it was obsolete and very much in the way.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photovoltaic1/4117692161/#
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:48:09 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #349 on: November 22, 2009, 11:14:45 am »

Well......It was't exactly steamrocket science. Undecided

i just Googled 'Fleamarket Great Britain' and this was the first to come up.

Therefore I do think that if you Google with the name of your own town or district you will find lots more.

But i am happy I could be of assistance.

Now I like to share with you all one of my treasures. It's not real steampunk, but for me it has a great 'Mad Scientist'- feel over it.
I got it from my boss for free, because it was obsolete and very much in the way.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photovoltaic1/4117692161/#

Wow!

When you say it's not real steampunk - I would say it's 'almost steampunk but not real steampunk yet' - it won't take too many brass doo dads to steampimp that baby! Great score from the boss.

My flea market score today was a mint copy of Life magazine (Australian edition) with an icon (complete with iconic side arm) on the cover...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: