The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 20, 2019, 04:03:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 277192 times)
Professor Damien Tremens
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #300 on: October 04, 2009, 06:56:44 am »

Items from my latest trip to Canton, TX...

Assorted tintypes, reflectors, and an "x" key from a typewriter:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A mailbox door:
A brass clockwork gearset from an E.N. Welch clock. It should date from the 1870s or so:
A pair of opera glasses:
A Bemmis and Call railroad wrench, and a smaller wrench:
The next four camera items were purchased as a set, along with a fifth Kodak 35mm camera
(from the 1960s I think) that was immediately sold to someone walking by, for the same price
that I had just paid for the entire set. First off a Brownie Target Six-16 box camera:
A Bakelite bodied Spartus box camera:
A handheld flash bulb unit:
And a fairly modern Polaroid camera:

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #301 on: October 04, 2009, 11:07:13 am »

We need to change this thread name now to:

'Flea market Finds that don't even come close to the epic find of all time by Mr. Archibald Moran'.

Seriously - my jaw is still rolling around under the couch somewhere from when I saw the raygun pic.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #302 on: October 05, 2009, 12:27:41 pm »

I found these two beauties at a yard sale this weekend

Archibald Moran
Officer

« Reply #303 on: October 06, 2009, 03:22:39 am »

Very cool find, as much good stuff that we all find, we should all get together and go flea market hopping, no telling what cool stuff we will find.

Archibald Moran: Tinker, Inventor, Philosopher, and All Around Eccentric Crackpot
von Klank
Snr. Officer

"Und now vher did I leef mein goggles?"

« Reply #304 on: October 06, 2009, 12:59:32 pm »

Very cool find, as much good stuff that we all find, we should all get together and go flea market hopping, no telling what cool stuff we will find.

That... could prove dangerous. A large knot of steam-powered scavengers converging on one area, all intent on gleaning anything remotely steamy? The fights would almost surely break out ("I saw it first!"), and there would be incalculable collateral damage once all the pieces were assembled into some sort of massive aether-bending superweapon. No, I think the world in general will be much safer if we stay to our own little corners of it, and trot out the goodies here for public inspection.

Still haven't found a raygun gothic raygun yet... Grin

Maschinenkontrol ist fur only Experten Technischens! Gerverken by das Dumnkopfen ist Striktly Verboten!
Prof. Erwin Lindemann
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

Inventor of the Galvano- Æther-Telescope

« Reply #305 on: October 06, 2009, 06:42:22 pm »

I found this nice telephone on a local fleamarket in the small town of Geldern, Germany. The quality is quite good, but the sticker on the bottom says "made on Philipines". Together with the wrong type of wire it looks too much 1980s. But therefore it was only 8 EUR Smiley I'm going to replace the wire to an older looking type (normal wire covered by a shoe-lace), and on the inside I'm going to rewire the telephone to use it with the computer, for example with "Skype".
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #306 on: October 07, 2009, 11:04:13 pm »

At biggest local jumble sale last weekend, I arrived late but thats not always a total disaster. Met my son staggering out under the burden of very very solid 1950s typewriter. this must be his 6th and is the missing link between the lovely old 1920s one and his breeding flock of later portables.

I got a nice old pattern army knapsack with the brass clips, which I more or less yanked out of some ditherer's hands, plus a very sold old picnic basket and a stack of brass and copper items plus some good tools that just need to be wire brushed and oiled. Also at the very end when it is "fill a bin liner bag for £1", i got a load of junk toys, mainly barbie and action man dolls for cannibalising.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #307 on: October 08, 2009, 06:42:41 am »

I wish I lived in a city that was more than 100 years old. Eighty years ago, my 300,000 person city was a bunch of fields with a homestead. No one here has old stuff.

Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #308 on: October 08, 2009, 11:52:31 pm »

I wish I lived in a city that was more than 100 years old. Eighty years ago, my 300,000 person city was a bunch of fields with a homestead. No one here has old stuff.

Do I detect a fellow Canberra-ite ?

If so, there are possibilities locally, though they all involve a picnic lunch and a drive in the countryside. Highly recommended are antique and junk shops in Cannowindra, Harden, Cootamundra, Boorowa and so on. Yass and Nimitabel are trying to sell utter rubbish at museum prices and Braidwood/Bungendore are worse.

Pack a picnic basket and a thermos of tea and have a drive. It's quite amazing what you will find, particularly in an arc from Cootamundra to Boorowa!

In fact, we're heading to Harden and various stops in between tomorrow.

The Jammo trash and treasure is OK and you can occasionally pick up a couple of bargains, but get there early and be quick!

However, I think the Canberra steampunk have to make do with making from scratch in many cases. Give me a bell (PM) at some point.

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #309 on: October 09, 2009, 01:32:51 am »

Do I detect a fellow Canberra-ite ?
Yup.

If so, there are possibilities locally, though they all involve a picnic lunch and a drive in the countryside. Highly recommended are antique and junk shops in Cannowindra, Harden, Cootamundra, Boorowa and so on. Yass and Nimitabel are trying to sell utter rubbish at museum prices and Braidwood/Bungendore are worse.

Pack a picnic basket and a thermos of tea and have a drive. It's quite amazing what you will find, particularly in an arc from Cootamundra to Boorowa!

In fact, we're heading to Harden and various stops in between tomorrow.
We had some luck out at Berrima a few months ago, but on a student budget, there's a lot waaaaay out of my price range. Much to drool over, though. Whenever my friends and I drive to the coast or other places, I'm always begging to spend hours in the antique stores of every little place we go through.

The Jammo trash and treasure is OK and you can occasionally pick up a couple of bargains, but get there early and be quick![/quote]
I live pretty danged close to the Jammo t&t, and frequent it often, but it's being taken over by the import dealers. Very little trash, almost no treasure.

However, I think the Canberra steampunk have to make do with making from scratch in many cases. Give me a bell (PM) at some point.
I was delighted to find that there are actually steampunkers around Canberra, having recently met some of the Melbournian folk. I know there is  (or was?) a LARP going on on Sunday afternoons (during a own hobby class). I've been trying to make do by scratch. I'm currently incompetent at the construction part, even if I can do the imagining. I have bountiful clothing resources, though.

Enough thread derailment on my part.
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #310 on: October 10, 2009, 06:30:53 pm »

Okay, not from a flea market (from an antique book shop) but didn't want to start a new thread.

My birthday present to myself (apologies for the bad photos, couldn't wait for good light!)

It's dated 1869 and has a dedication, must away to the library to do some research next week. Luckily the dedication is to someone in Bristol so I'm in the right city to start with. Just some slight repairs to the binding to make.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 06:33:34 pm by Titus Wells » Logged

"Who would have guessed that behind the formidable brow of his, which appeared to be made of some kind of rook, there lay so strange a mixture of memories and thoughts?"

Moonracer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #311 on: October 12, 2009, 04:02:22 am »

Okay, not from a flea market (from an antique book shop) but didn't want to start a new thread.

My birthday present to myself (apologies for the bad photos, couldn't wait for good light!)

It's dated 1869 and has a dedication, must away to the library to do some research next week. Luckily the dedication is to someone in Bristol so I'm in the right city to start with. Just some slight repairs to the binding to make.

Can't tell, what book is that?

The mind is like a parachute, its best when open.
clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #312 on: October 13, 2009, 10:18:29 pm »

I hope your joking, Its in huge letters on the third photo.

I am a freak in control not a control freak
Sir L. Cuilein
Officer

Colonel Sir L. Cuilein Kings Royal Elite (Ret.)

« Reply #313 on: October 13, 2009, 10:48:07 pm »

That is an awesome Bible!!!
I am sad to say I passed up one similar to it as apparently in the flea market world when you set it down to count your cash that apparently means its available again...

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
–Winston Churchill
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #314 on: October 13, 2009, 10:50:57 pm »

Its called Jumble Sale Rugby here. That's how I got a very nice old army haversack, which I am slowly steamifying.

Devil takes the hindmost etc.etc.
CatherinetteRings
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

SteampunkRings
« Reply #315 on: October 14, 2009, 01:01:49 am »

That's fantastic !

Daniel Proulx : Steampunk Jewelry designer
http://www.CatherinetteRings.Etsy.com
Exhibitors at Oxford's museum of History of Science and Kew bridge Steam museum .
Moonracer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #316 on: October 14, 2009, 07:18:25 pm »

I hope your joking, Its in huge letters on the third photo.

I guess I didn't see the spoiler link my mistake Embarrassed
Bald Knobber Labs
Officer

Colonel B.R. Ashburry - Royal Colonial Lighthorse

« Reply #317 on: October 15, 2009, 03:28:16 am »

First day of vacation and flea marketing. wanted to share my big $2.00 find.

Don't touch that boy, I have no idea what what it does.
Sir L. Cuilein
Officer

« Reply #318 on: October 15, 2009, 04:56:23 am »

Awesome haul!!!
Congrats
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #319 on: October 16, 2009, 12:48:33 am »

I sympathise Choreocrat. I have visited Australia and loved it, but I was glad to come home to mucky old Yorkshire. A few miles from me there is a steam engine older than your country, it's a Newcomen atmospheric engine and it needs restoring, it was in working order for two hundred years.

There is nothing that cannot be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper
Milo Addle
Gunner

« Reply #320 on: October 16, 2009, 02:01:19 am »

I didn't get it at a Flea Market but a Guy gave it to me.
Sir L. Cuilein
Officer

« Reply #321 on: October 16, 2009, 02:02:56 am »

Now that's a damn fine security clock!
Awesome......
Milo Addle
Gunner

« Reply #322 on: October 16, 2009, 05:34:44 am »

Now that's a damn fine security clock!
Awesome......
Yeah I am psyched to have it.
The doomed one
Snr. Officer

« Reply #323 on: October 19, 2009, 01:56:08 am »

I have had my eye on a nice security clock at my local antique mall for a while...

I just don't have enough monies to obtain it.

Minion for hire (will work for pie).
Milo Addle
Gunner

« Reply #324 on: October 19, 2009, 04:33:43 am »

I have had my eye on a nice security clock at my local antique mall for a while...

I just don't have enough monies to obtain it.

This guy also had all the Keys for it that he gave me.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: