The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 22, 2019, 09:27:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 277369 times)
stardust
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

friend of polar bear

« Reply #275 on: August 19, 2009, 08:02:55 pm »

I'm with you, darkshines.
The temptation to pull those keys off and do something with them would probably get the better of me.

i know who NOT to let near my typewriter then! pull the keys off something that works?? why?

it's for writing on!

and doesn't Mr. Kipling make exceedingly good cakes.......
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #276 on: August 19, 2009, 09:27:21 pm »

What about all the other parts though? letters (can they be used as punches for lightweight materials?) and springs, and levers and... well, bits? (Something to think about next time anyone encounters a typewriter that is more tripewriter than usable office machine)

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Alain Raethorne
Zeppelin Captain

Browncoat and Firefly Flan

« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2009, 10:11:49 pm »

I bought this typewriter at the Goodwill "as is" store today for $5.
It's not super old, but it is in good condition and it works!

Oh, what a good find. I happen to have a similar model. If I'm not mistaken, that's a Royal Quiet Deluxe Portable, isn't it? I have a working model from 1941 that I bought for 35 bucks at an antique store. You got quite a good deal on that.

Navigator aboard the AAV Raziel.

Gold is for the mistress-silver for the maid-
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade
"Good" said the Baron, sitting in his hall
"But Iron-Cold Iron-is master of them all."
Mrs. Sullivan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2009, 10:34:10 pm »

That is exactly what it is, a Royal Quiet Deluxe Portable.  Don't know about the year, though.  Is it stamped on the typewriter somewhere?

I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!
Alain Raethorne
Zeppelin Captain

Browncoat and Firefly Flan

« Reply #279 on: August 19, 2009, 10:41:29 pm »

It might be on a tag somewhere in the case....that is, if your case still has all the labels and whatnot (mine didn't). I don't think it's stamped anywhere on the actual typewriter though. If you take the machine out of its case, there might be something on the bottom of it. You can take it out by releasing the little catches on the four corners at its base.
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #280 on: August 19, 2009, 10:58:31 pm »

I'm with you, darkshines.
The temptation to pull those keys off and do something with them would probably get the better of me.

i know who NOT to let near my typewriter then! pull the keys off something that works?? why?

it's for writing on!

Because I hate writing on typewriters.  They are like the worst of both worlds, gimpy keyboard interface like a computer, linear non-correctable output like hand written paper, and louder than both at the same time.  I love the look of them, possibly because of how painful they are -- sort of like why I live Victorian medical equipment, but wouldn't want to actually use any of it.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not running around smashing up old type writers for sport, its just that "SHIFT FEEDOM" key calls to me.

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
stardust
Zeppelin Captain

friend of polar bear

« Reply #281 on: August 19, 2009, 11:04:01 pm »

i'd not thought of it like that. i love the noise they make and the feel of the "mechanicalness" of it. (can someone provide me with a better word than that?) i love the font as well.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #282 on: August 19, 2009, 11:09:13 pm »

i'd not thought of it like that. i love the noise they make and the feel of the "mechanicalness" of it. (can someone provide me with a better word than that?) i love the font as well.
There must be a program that assigns old typewriter sounds to a keyboard, with a carriage return sound on Enter

stardust
Zeppelin Captain

friend of polar bear

« Reply #283 on: August 19, 2009, 11:13:05 pm »

yes but you still wouldn't have the feel of it. like when you drive an old landrover and put it into low ratio you feel and hear the clunk, but when you drive a modern 4x4 you feel nothing. with a computer it can click and clack as much as it wants. it will still only ever feel like a computer. i love the feel of mechanical things doing their job.

what is another word for mechanicalness? because that is exactly what i want to say and i don't know what the word is. and if one doesn't exist then i want to invent one because it is very useful in describing what i am trying to say.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #284 on: August 19, 2009, 11:15:19 pm »

Okay, I found it. It's a free program called Clickey, and loads very fast. It has many sounds to choose from, the old clunky typewriter is on the C key. I'm using it now, it makes quite a racket.

http://www.grc.com/freeware/clickey.htm
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:17:25 pm by WillRockwell » Logged
stardust
Zeppelin Captain

friend of polar bear

« Reply #285 on: August 19, 2009, 11:17:19 pm »

if you find me a program that makes it feel like it's clunking and clacking away then i really will be impressed! Grin

i suppose i could just stop hoovering my keyboard and let all the biscuit crumbs and rabbit fur build up until they started sticking but i think that is a bit pointless when i actually have a real noisy typewriter anyway.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #286 on: August 19, 2009, 11:25:18 pm »

You would never have the weight and counterbalancing an old typewriter has. For that you would need to install the keyboard sensors at the end of the linkage, so instead of striking paper, your old typewriter strikes sensors.
pewtersmith
Snr. Officer

« Reply #287 on: August 19, 2009, 11:39:05 pm »

Found this great knife switchboard at my favorite antique show , Alameda Point :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the board is marble and the switches are copper brass and wood , was a control board for an early elevator system; we plan to use it to control mad science devices in the Neverwas "Haunted" Haul at SF Exploratorium in Oct. Note the three sockets for flickering old Edison bulbs .
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 05:08:03 pm by pewtersmith » Logged
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #288 on: August 20, 2009, 10:27:03 am »

I went to a massive localish flea market (must have had over a 100 stalls) and found sod all and then a tiny one in my home town and found somrthing! ok it was only ACME city whistle but better than nothing! its cleaned up quite well and will form part of my military SP outfit (i'm kind of working on a military 'showy' outfit and more day to day civvy stuff)

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #289 on: August 21, 2009, 03:37:51 am »

Found this great knife switchboard at my favorite antique show , Alameda Point :
the board is marble and the switches are copper brass and wood , was a control board for an early elevator system we plan to us it to control mad science devices in the Neverwas "Haunted" Haul at SF Exploratorium in Oct. Note the three sockets for flickering old Edison bulbs .

Oh.

You are SO lucky!

I have one small brass knife switch so far...

(sniff - sob - cry)

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #290 on: August 22, 2009, 03:40:43 am »

the board is marble and the switches are copper brass and wood , was a control board for an early elevator system we plan to us it to control mad science devices in the Neverwas "Haunted" Haul at SF Exploratorium in Oct. Note the three sockets for flickering old Edison bulbs .

Oh.

You are SO lucky!

I have one small brass knife switch so far...

(sniff - sob - cry)

Ooooh that IS splendid!

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #291 on: August 23, 2009, 10:03:31 pm »

yes but you still wouldn't have the feel of it. like when you drive an old landrover and put it into low ratio you feel and hear the clunk, but when you drive a modern 4x4 you feel nothing. with a computer it can click and clack as much as it wants. it will still only ever feel like a computer. i love the feel of mechanical things doing their job.

what is another word for mechanicalness? because that is exactly what i want to say and i don't know what the word is. and if one doesn't exist then i want to invent one because it is very useful in describing what i am trying to say.

Stardust go right ahead and use your new word 'mechanicalness' I know what you mean- and a friend who teaches English to engineers says it's fine to invent new words so there you go.

There is nothing that cannot be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #292 on: September 22, 2009, 08:59:32 pm »

Latest charity shop acquisitions:

Seven miniature brass gramophones, in various sizes, in custom acrylic cases.

Strangely, the acrylic cases were produced by a colleague at the company I'm currently working for, small world...

Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #293 on: September 23, 2009, 02:45:45 am »

Recently acquired: the working parts of two disabled buggies. Lots of potential here although sadly the batteries were shot. The main piece of hardware is the rear axle and motor of the smaller buggy, the larger one being too heavy for my needs. Very substantial bit of engineering and would suit being made into the drive unit of a child's vehicle. Anyone interested message me. Other items such as the lighting system/indicators are going on my trike when I motorise it.
Archibald Moran
Officer

« Reply #294 on: September 27, 2009, 10:37:05 pm »

Just Got back From Some Estate sales, and got some goodies.From the First House A Green Hobnail Glass Candle Holder, milk glass ?, Silver Plate Tankard, Wooden nesting Balls, and a Carved Candle stick, and from the Second house, Multiple glass Scientific and Photo items. the Buck rodgers Gun was in a Box marked junk, for 5 dollars, gave the other junk away and kept the gun.

Archibald Moran: Tinker, Inventor, Philosopher, and All Around Eccentric Crackpot
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #295 on: September 27, 2009, 11:47:59 pm »

I love the gun so much I could cry, PLEASE can I buy it from you?

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #296 on: September 28, 2009, 12:38:17 pm »

Archibald,
   You do realize that ray gun is worth a small fortune? That appears to be the Daisy XZ38 Disintegrator Pistol from 1935. 3 years ago one of these sold for $540.00. Here's some info on your find:

Following up on the success of the Rocket Pistol and the surging popularity of Buck Rogers, in 1935 Daisy produced a new Buck Rogers gun, the XZ-38 Disintegrator Pistol. A masterpiece of art deco design, this gun featured a fluted barrel and flamboyant fins. Produced in both nickel and copper finishes, the gun was both sold in stores as well as merchandised as a Cream of Wheat premium in 1935 and a Popsicle premium in 1939.  Used as cover art for the 1995 Foo Fighters debut album and inspiration for blasters in several modern day sci-fi films, it is the epitome of iconic design perfection
von Klank
Snr. Officer

"Und now vher did I leef mein goggles?"

« Reply #297 on: September 28, 2009, 06:13:48 pm »

Seriously luvin' the raygun! That is an epic find! Congrats to you, Mr. Moran.

Maschinenkontrol ist fur only Experten Technischens! Gerverken by das Dumnkopfen ist Striktly Verboten!
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #298 on: October 01, 2009, 10:33:44 pm »

Here in Manhattan we have stores that specialize in selling trimmings, hardware for clothing designers, such as snaps, buttons, catches, and so forth. I went into a trimming store looking for Steampunk hardware, and this is what I came out with. All this cost $4.

Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #299 on: October 04, 2009, 03:15:45 am »

Seriously luvin' the raygun! That is an epic find! Congrats to you, Mr. Moran.

Epic of a find indeed!

DB

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: