The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 19, 2019, 05:08:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 275719 times)
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #225 on: July 12, 2009, 08:40:56 pm »

A most inventive use for them! Were the other pipes not available? do you know if they still speak? As an organist myself, it's encouraging to see them put to use in a practical way that doesn't involve irreversible damage.

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Sir L. Cuilein
Officer

Colonel Sir L. Cuilein Kings Royal Elite (Ret.)

« Reply #226 on: July 12, 2009, 08:45:33 pm »

Actually there are a lot more of them available!

The antique shop is called Family Heirlooms
262-524-0747

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
–Winston Churchill
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #227 on: July 13, 2009, 02:20:59 am »

Those organ pipes are lovely. I hope to build a pipe organ when I become very rich with a lot of time on my hands (it will happen, it will happen, it will happen..) Wink

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #228 on: July 13, 2009, 11:10:05 pm »

Those organ pipes are lovely. I hope to build a pipe organ when I become very rich with a lot of time on my hands (it will happen, it will happen, it will happen..) Wink

You will become rich my son -

- but NEVER have time on your hands!

(Mwyahahahaha)

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #229 on: July 14, 2009, 01:41:43 am »

You will become rich my son -

- but NEVER have time on your hands!

What ??

I'm not rich AND I don't have time on my hands. What happened there ?

On the flea market side, I believe that there are a couple of country markets locally this weekend. Time to crack open the piggy bank and see what's around.

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #230 on: July 14, 2009, 12:33:52 pm »

This weekend I found a lightbulb dated 1904, and it is still good! It has a pontil on top, little curlique of glass from the manufacture process. I was thinking of making a Steamy display stand to present the bulb like the historical artifact it is, the miracle of electricity.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

pewtersmith
Snr. Officer

« Reply #231 on: July 14, 2009, 05:12:54 pm »

This weekend I found a lightbulb dated 1904, and it is still good! It has a pontil on top, little curlique of glass from the manufacture process. I was thinking of making a Steamy display stand to present the bulb like the historical artifact it is, the miracle of electricity.

1904 is the patent date so the bulb was manufactured after that , most likely about the same time as the Longest burning Light Bulb , now 101 years old.

http://www.centennialbulb.org/
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #232 on: July 14, 2009, 05:55:04 pm »

That's some interesting stuff you've got there, WillRockwell.   That first item is particularly interesting, if only for the extreme novelty value.

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #233 on: July 14, 2009, 07:45:37 pm »

Not a flea market find, but a find all the same...

At work on occasion I have to go out and walk tracts of land that are going to be developed into subdivisions or shopping centers. Today I went to a 100+ acre site that had several old houses and barns. Around a house from the 1920's I found the following:

Not great finds, but they will all find either a shelf or use in my shop...

All of the buildings were too far gone to enter which was a shame... one house and a barn FULL of stuff were 1850's...

WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #234 on: July 14, 2009, 08:24:02 pm »

All of the buildings were too far gone to enter which was a shame... one house and a barn FULL of stuff were 1850's...

I'm afraid nothing would keep me out of an 1850's barn that was full of stuff.
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #235 on: July 14, 2009, 08:26:27 pm »

For real, yo.  They make helmets and leather gloves for a reason.

I mean, you had permission to be there, that's always seems to be my mission (though thankfully, nonessential) variable.
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #236 on: July 14, 2009, 08:31:44 pm »

I'm afraid nothing would keep me out of an 1850's barn that was full of stuff.
For real, yo.  They make helmets and leather gloves for a reason.

I mean, you had permission to be there, that's always seems to be my mission (though thankfully, nonessential) variable.
Trust me, if I could, I would...
Completely collapsed... permission to walk the property... On the clock, had to return to the office when I was done... 85 degrees 90% humidity... poison ivy EVERYWHERE...

I might go back and try again...
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #237 on: July 14, 2009, 08:35:53 pm »

I was going, "ya, so?"

right up to the poison ivy.  No flame thrower, then no poison ivy.  Simple as that.

And ya, hit that action in the after-hours.  What they don't know....
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #238 on: July 15, 2009, 12:13:06 am »

This was not even a flea market find, I picked it up out of the trash in Manhattan. It looked like it had great steam potential, perhaps someone has a more specific idea how I could use it. That's my Bengal cat Kumba, in the picture for scale.

Therefore it will become part of a steampunk contraction that attracts cats. A mere flick of a switch and all the cats in the line of fire ate drawn into the collecting basket...
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #239 on: July 15, 2009, 12:15:27 am »

Not a flea market find, but a find all the same...

As soon as I saw that I thought "Steampunk flamingo" which I think means that I need a lie down somewhere...  Cheesy
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #240 on: July 15, 2009, 02:11:57 am »

This was not even a flea market find, I picked it up out of the trash in Manhattan. It looked like it had great steam potential, perhaps someone has a more specific idea how I could use it. That's my Bengal cat Kumba, in the picture for scale.

Therefore it will become part of a steampunk contraction that attracts cats. A mere flick of a switch and all the cats in the line of fire ate drawn into the collecting basket...

Looking at the picture again, that basket could be the base for my "Marvel of Electricity" display featuring the antique lightbulb
Angus McCarthy
Officer

« Reply #241 on: July 15, 2009, 06:27:47 am »

The wife and I have been slowly steampunking our home here in Wisconsin and yesterday we came across these!
Mind you they were an Antique store find and not a flea market but I couldn't resist!
These are Pipe Organ pipes patented 1889.

Those appear to be four large Bourdon/Stopped Daipason pipes and one from a Melodia rank, if I am not mistaken. Nice find, and I love the idea of using the larger pipes as curio shelves.

Train up a moustache in the way it should go, and when it is old it shall not depart from it.
Galina
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #242 on: July 18, 2009, 09:45:07 pm »

Car boot in Lancaster this morning was successful for once, though no contraptions or copper parts, sadly.

I ended up spending a bit too long at the stall of a gentleman who not only had several boxes full of Fill-A-Bag-For-£1, but who was once a bottle, er...digger-upper, and chatted cheerfully about old bottles, before selling me a gorgeously crazed marmalade jar for 50p. It actually looks far more battered in the photo than it is in person, but I bought it because it looked used - the others were wonderfully preserved, and thus had no outward signs of age.  They were very nice though...

I nearly bought the lot, but sense sadly prevailed; they weren't in the least bit expensive - the jar of Senna was £2, and that was the pricey one - but I have limited shelf space at the moment. I might go back next week though, and see if he's still got the pot of Invalid Jelly (made from real invalids).

The blue bottles are Milk of Magnesia from a different stall, but a lot younger than the marmalade from the moudlings.

My Foxy Gentleman ended up with some vintage maps of the Lakes and some pre-decimal coinage to rattle about in his pockets at his next Cthulu LARP and popped them all in a used-once hiking pack (so now he'll stop stealing mine).
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #243 on: July 20, 2009, 03:46:50 am »

I picked up this Vesuviana 1950's era espresso maker at a yard sale for $3. It's steamy by design.

TheaWright
Gunner

« Reply #244 on: July 20, 2009, 04:56:45 pm »

Oh, that's lovely!  ^_^  Does it work?  Was it relatively clean when you got it?  My mom picked up a fondue set at a Goodwill once and, it being in a box, she only glanced inside to make sure all the bits were there.  When she brought it home and took it out, the inside of everything was disgusting.  She took it back, but still.  You want to look before you purchase anything that's going to touch your food.

Erm... and that's the end of my cautionary rant!
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #245 on: July 20, 2009, 05:24:02 pm »

Oh, that's lovely!  ^_^  Does it work?  Was it relatively clean when you got it?  My mom picked up a fondue set at a Goodwill once and, it being in a box, she only glanced inside to make sure all the bits were there.  When she brought it home and took it out, the inside of everything was disgusting.  She took it back, but still.  You want to look before you purchase anything that's going to touch your food.

Erm... and that's the end of my cautionary rant!

Not only is it clean, I don't think it has ever been used. There are no stains or corrosion at all. I put it on Ebay today.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #246 on: July 21, 2009, 12:24:29 am »

I bought this old radio this weekend for $5. I don't know if it works yet, the wire is too far gone to plug in, so I'll have to replace it to make a test. That's my Spirit Harvester on top, looks good there.

von Klank
Snr. Officer

"Und now vher did I leef mein goggles?"

« Reply #247 on: July 21, 2009, 01:33:49 am »

Greetings, all! Long time skulker, first time posting.

The last few weeks have turned up some geared, steamy, goodness.
First up, a hand-cranked sickle bar mower sharpener: $10

Next, a hand-cranked (or V-belt driven) post drill press: $5

The grinder appears to be complete, the drill is missing an adjustable table and post,
and the pawl mechanism to auto-advance the drill.

And Mr. Rockwell, that Vesuviana is a thing of beauty...<drool>

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:36:10 am by von Klank » Logged

Maschinenkontrol ist fur only Experten Technischens! Gerverken by das Dumnkopfen ist Striktly Verboten!
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #248 on: July 21, 2009, 04:58:03 pm »

I would willingly have donated my eyeteeth (or possibly even grannie) for either of those, twenty years ago. I might be able to deal even now...
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #249 on: July 22, 2009, 02:10:58 pm »

Since my first Steampunk construction (was it only last month?) I've been looking for this iron wheel, which I've been hoarding for at least ten years. It was not where it was supposed to be, but finally turned up yesterday in a drawer full of screws. I kept it all these years just waiting for something like Steampunk to come along.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: