The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 08, 2019, 07:36:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 286190 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2225 on: May 19, 2014, 06:00:16 pm »

I don't know the value, but it they are complete with all optics and in working order, it was a steal at one dollar.

Focusing ring may be celluloid or ceramic. It looks too white to be ivory, and mother of pearl would probably have lines through it and I can't imagine such a fragile material being used for that purpose.
jimbits
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2226 on: May 19, 2014, 08:40:35 pm »

I don't know the value, but it they are complete with all optics and in working order, it was a steal at one dollar.

Focusing ring may be celluloid or ceramic. It looks too white to be ivory, and mother of pearl would probably have lines through it and I can't imagine such a fragile material being used for that purpose.

Thanks RJB...
I did a little more research after posting and, while they ARE complete and I bought 'em cheap, it doesn't appear I'll be able to quit working and live off the profit!  
I'm thinking the opera glasses will, somehow, become a part of my next gun.  I simply need to figure out how to mount them!

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2227 on: May 20, 2014, 02:54:48 am »

The white focus adjustment wheel could be ivory or bone, or even a finely carved white quartz - does it feel cold to the touch, or warm?
Prof. Convict Archfiend
Officer
Australia Australia

Gravatar

« Reply #2228 on: May 20, 2014, 05:13:30 am »

Shocked
man, some of this stuff is so awesome and so cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've only jumped around to random pages on this thread, and I honestly can't believe some of the finds, and some of the prices!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'm just not looking hard enough down here.......
Everything I seem to find, I would need to sell a Kidney on the Black market to afford!! Cry
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 05:15:14 am by Prof. Convict Archfiend » Logged

Just call me "Greenie"....
(much quicker to type)
Boxofbits
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2229 on: May 20, 2014, 03:58:20 pm »

Picked up this little beauty on ebay for 99p.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's missing it's key, but I gave it a partial wind-up with pliers, and it's been running since Saturday.

Big autojumble this weekend, should get a few bits there
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2230 on: May 21, 2014, 02:30:12 am »

Interesting...what exactly is it?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2231 on: May 21, 2014, 03:29:26 am »

Interesting...what exactly is it?

It's the timer section of a Horstmann mechanical timer / time switch for gas street lights. Wink

Should wind properly with an old Mechano key, or probably most clock keys will fit. Needs a winding every 7 or 14 days depending upon the mechanism type. Not sure of age, probably 1950's.

Nice find.  Smiley

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2232 on: May 21, 2014, 07:18:27 pm »

Thanks RJB...
I did a little more research after posting and, while they ARE complete and I bought 'em cheap, it doesn't appear I'll be able to quit working and live off the profit!  
I'm thinking the opera glasses will, somehow, become a part of my next gun.  I simply need to figure out how to mount them!

Telescopes are used as gun sights, but I am unfamiliar with binoculars being used for that purpose except in the case of large mounted weapons like anti-aircraft guns. If you can get the target in focus, the analog targeting computer will take a reading from the focusing controls and adjust for distance.
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #2233 on: June 02, 2014, 03:39:22 pm »

Here's a little score from the St Albans Steam Fair yesterday. I saw the valves and asked the chap how much and he told me £1. I said I'd take a couple to which he replied it was £1 for the whole box. As I was rummaging in my pocket for money, he announced I could take the whole tray for £2.

Suffice it to say I almost had his arm off...

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #2234 on: June 02, 2014, 06:27:05 pm »

Here's a little score from the St Albans Steam Fair yesterday. I saw the valves and asked the chap how much and he told me £1. I said I'd take a couple to which he replied it was £1 for the whole box. As I was rummaging in my pocket for money, he announced I could take the whole tray for £2.

Crikey!

I can never find stuff like that at those prices. Over here everybody is convinced that his stuff is a collection of rare antiques and worth a fortune. A rusted saw or a pair of pliers, a table knife with a synthetic amber-coloured handle and a broken tip… everything starts at at least €10.

Last summer I saw a bloke with an anvil with the bic broken off, the edges of the table badly rounded and the whole of the table in pretty bad condition; he wanted €100+ for it. "But it's a genuine antique". Right, but it's a broken anvil that would take a good deal of work to get into working condition.

--
Keith
jimbits
Officer

« Reply #2235 on: June 02, 2014, 06:35:58 pm »

Well done!  Have fun making some great items.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2236 on: June 02, 2014, 07:24:49 pm »

Tubes, tuners, and vintage resistors and capacitors; someone was in the repair business many years ago. A great find, and you can probably sell just a few pieces to a tube radio enthusiast and get your money back.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #2237 on: June 02, 2014, 07:40:42 pm »

Eye broach in green (my own colour)  with interesting brass surround. £4.50
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #2238 on: June 02, 2014, 08:25:40 pm »

Tubes, tuners, and vintage resistors and capacitors; someone was in the repair business many years ago. A great find, and you can probably sell just a few pieces to a tube radio enthusiast and get your money back.

What, a whole two pounds? Wink

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
Prof. Convict Archfiend
Officer
Australia Australia

Gravatar

« Reply #2239 on: June 02, 2014, 11:26:12 pm »

$3.60(AUD)...for all that... awesome score!!!!!!  Shocked
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2240 on: June 02, 2014, 11:43:39 pm »

Jammy bast........

Those valves look interesting - any chance of some part numbers?
From what I can see, it looks to be all radio stuff. Nice find!  Smiley
Wirecase
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #2241 on: June 03, 2014, 06:40:06 am »

Some people really don't know what they have, good find!

To Steampunk or not to Steampunk, that's the question...
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2242 on: June 03, 2014, 04:58:13 pm »

Jammy bast........

Those valves look interesting - any chance of some part numbers?
From what I can see, it looks to be all radio stuff. Nice find!  Smiley

Here's a 14 megapixel shot of the valves - you can see the part numbers where they exist, a lot of them have worn off. If you right-click the pic and choose "open in new tab" (for Chrome, other browsers may be slightly different) you can see the full size picture.

Also, does anyone know what this is? There's a bag full of them in singles, duos and triples like this:
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #2243 on: June 03, 2014, 10:34:39 pm »

Also, does anyone know what this is? There's a bag full of them in singles, duos and triples like this:

Without seeing them from more angles, I speculate they might be some sort of variable inductor; the spike on top would be the adjusting screw, and the black goo is there to prevent it being re-adjusted.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2244 on: June 04, 2014, 03:07:54 am »

Here's a 14 megapixel shot of the valves - you can see the part numbers where they exist, a lot of them have worn off. If you right-click the pic and choose "open in new tab" (for Chrome, other browsers may be slightly different) you can see the full size picture.

Valves - from what I can make out, there are a few pentodes and triodes that could be of use in a fun project (cheap amp, radio receiver, etc), some can be run on low plate voltage, 12 - 30v, so nice and safe for beginners.  Smiley

Oh, and I spy one rare gas-filled vacuum tube...  Grin

Second pic - looks to be chassis mount inductors / trim pots. Might be worth asking on a vintage radio forum, some of these things are hard to find, and could be worth a few quid.  Wink
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2245 on: June 04, 2014, 03:18:18 pm »

Great. Now I'm scared to use any of it in case it's something sought after...  Grin

Is there a simple way to check if these valves work? If they're functional, I'd rather try and sell them on to someone who can use them.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2246 on: June 04, 2014, 07:16:18 pm »

Great. Now I'm scared to use any of it in case it's something sought after...  Grin

Is there a simple way to check if these valves work? If they're functional, I'd rather try and sell them on to someone who can use them.

Just travel back in time about forty or fifty years, and go to a large American supermarket that has one of these:
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2247 on: June 05, 2014, 01:23:18 am »

You should be a ble to check most with a multi-meter.
Google the tube #, etc.

And what type of amp is that next to that wonderful machine there? You know, that thing in the black cage?
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2248 on: June 05, 2014, 03:50:59 am »

I have no idea what kind of amp that is. I grabbed this photo off the internet.

I remembered the tube tester because they were in a couple of stores that I frequented when I was a kid. Eagle Supermarket in Dixon, Illinois, and Superx Drugs in Munster, Indiana.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2249 on: June 05, 2014, 12:10:36 pm »

Wow, Eagle supermarkets- mini flash back there.

Back on topic.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: