The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 25, 2019, 01:45:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 282587 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2200 on: May 04, 2014, 10:50:19 pm »

that kind of resembles the car from the Dick Van Dyke version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang; there was a whole fad of toys and such spun off from the movie and a later revival of same. That one of yours there looks like a cereal box prize to my mind, or maybe an Asian knock-off; there were quite a few of those as well if I remember right.

Too, there was and still is a faddish fascination with old cars on the cheapo toy market. I'm not sure why it endures.

The car is most definitely Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and it is unlikely that a knockoff maker would mark a toy "patent pending". The cereal prize theory has some merit, except that cereal prizes are unlikely to have three colors of plastic (though I can think of one exception; Freakymobiles).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:45:51 am by RJBowman » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2201 on: May 04, 2014, 10:52:39 pm »

Spoke too soon:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Cereal-Premium-Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang-cars-plastic-toys-/321353395364

This eBay seller identifies the car as a cereal premium. No cereal brand given.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2202 on: May 05, 2014, 04:01:24 am »

Spoke too soon:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Cereal-Premium-Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang-cars-plastic-toys-/321353395364

I was partial to Cap'n Crunch as a kid, but also several others, and occasionally something I found at the grocer's when I accompanied Mom, that turned out to be totally "bleaaaggghh!" but had what I thought at the time was a cool toy emblazoned on the box. Sorry not to be more helpful Wink.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
jimbits
Officer

« Reply #2203 on: May 05, 2014, 04:37:06 am »

Jimbits, I happen upon one off these only last week in a brickerbrack shop only the barrel was considerably longer by at least a foot. I thought it had some potential, my wife thought otherwise  Sad I think the chap wanted £30 for it.
Thanks for your response, Moriarty.  Hmmm...whoever made this thing must've made them in at least two barrel lengths because it doesn't appear mine was cut down.  I paid $20 (US) for mine which I hesitated about, but decided to go for it.  Yes, I think it has potential.

Now the question is...what should I add to it/how should I modify it?  The lock/firing mechanism doesn't amount to anything...just the free-turning hammer.  It doesn't seem there was ever anything else there.

There are two sets of two screws...set about an inch apart and protruding about 1/4 inch...on the right side of the gun.  One set is just a few inches from the muzzle end of the stock, the other set is about 6 inches in from the butt.  Nothing appears to be missing.  I'm guessing the screws were there to facilitate hanging the gun on the wall (?). 

I think I'll call it...Blunderboar!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2204 on: May 05, 2014, 04:50:58 am »

Spoke too soon:

I was partial to Cap'n Crunch as a kid, but also several others, and occasionally something I found at the grocer's when I accompanied Mom, that turned out to be totally "bleaaaggghh!" but had what I thought at the time was a cool toy emblazoned on the box. Sorry not to be more helpful Wink.

I found a web site that offered more information; the little car was a Honeycombs cereal premium from 1968. The back of the box had little wings printed on it; you cut them out with scissors and stuck them to two little pegs on the bottom of the car. It looks like the gear teeth on the axles were supposed to against the edges of the cardboard to make noise. I guess that something about this design was unique enough to be submitted for a patent.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #2205 on: May 05, 2014, 05:13:23 am »

Spoke too soon:

I actually remember having that toy when I was a wee powder monkey. all I can remember is it came with a pair of wings on the back of the box that you could cut out and stick on tabs under the car. Don't recall which cereal it was either I'm afraid.

And yes, I was bad about getting my parents to buy cereal just for the toys. I'd take the toy and let the cereal just sit on top of the fridge til it went bad. Used to annoy my folks to no end.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2206 on: May 05, 2014, 05:33:22 am »

I can remember when Honeycomb tasted like somebody sprinkled sugar on a cardboard chip and then washed part of it off. It's improved a lot since then, but I'm surprised it survived long enough to be changed and gain popularity. Maybe those glitzy premiums served a useful purpose. Terrible comment on human nature, though  Wink.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2207 on: May 05, 2014, 03:12:58 pm »

It was the TV commercials that lead to its success; what kid didn't wan't to have a secret hide-out?
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2208 on: May 05, 2014, 07:34:47 pm »

A few bits from a boot sale at the weekend

A mantle clock movement (seized) £2.50
A large storage jar with a ground-glass seal £1.50 (think things in jars)
A glass chemical bottle 20p
Assorted plumbing and gas fittings £10

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
jimbits
Officer

« Reply #2209 on: May 06, 2014, 02:38:01 am »

Here's a (rough) little Weeden steam engine.  Picked it up for $5 (US) at a flea mkt. this past weekend.  Might find its way into a clock or lamp build. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2210 on: May 06, 2014, 04:21:20 pm »

Is there any possibility of restoring that engine to working condition? It would be a shame to turn it into a lamp if it could still run.
jimbits
Officer

« Reply #2211 on: May 06, 2014, 07:29:30 pm »

Is there any possibility of restoring that engine to working condition? It would be a shame to turn it into a lamp if it could still run.
Hi RJ...I understand your sentiment.  However, _I_ am DEFINITELY NOT the person to even consider restoring it. Now, if someone with the skills to restore it were interested...
jimbits
Officer

« Reply #2212 on: May 06, 2014, 08:21:56 pm »

Another find from this past weekend.  This one set me back all of $5 (US).  I'm sure I'd have been able to talk the seller down, but didn't want anyone else @ the flea mkt. to bid me UP so I paid and ran! 

It's about 26 inches long...beautiful old brass

Here's the lovely wooden handle...looks to be original paint.

and the tip...the patina just GLOWS!

Oh...I almost forgot  Wink ...  It does THIS!

Now, the REAL question is, "What might I DO with this gorgeous piece!?"  Ideas?
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2213 on: May 07, 2014, 12:17:38 pm »

Jimbits - it is the sprayer pump for an Indian backpack for fighting forest fires. I have used the backpack for one of my rocket pack creations.  I have the identical sprayer and have yet to put it to use.  Will some day.

Image from google of a complete set.

My rocket pack using the tank portion.

Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2214 on: May 07, 2014, 03:07:37 pm »

With a different tank (or a pair thereof), dials, control nobs & a new hose... A STEAMPUNK FLAMETHROWER!!!

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
jimbits
Officer

« Reply #2215 on: May 07, 2014, 03:47:36 pm »

Jimbits - it is the sprayer pump for an Indian backpack for fighting forest fires. I have used the backpack for one of my rocket pack creations.  I have the identical sprayer and have yet to put it to use.  Will some day.

Image from google of a complete set.

My rocket pack using the tank portion.

I'd NEVER have guessed where the pump came from! Thanks Maets.  And "WOW!!!" re: your rocket pack!!!
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2216 on: May 07, 2014, 06:49:02 pm »

How about a holy water pistol for vampire hunting?
Moriarty
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2217 on: May 07, 2014, 09:36:08 pm »

What about adding a couple of gas canisters (CO2 bulbs ) and you got yourself non lethal vaporising incapacitator. This is in no way suggested because I'm working on a flamethrower myself, no no of course not. Koff. Koff. Shifty eye roll  Roll Eyes
jimbits
Officer

« Reply #2218 on: May 07, 2014, 09:52:12 pm »

How about a holy water pistol for vampire hunting?
Well, Lord Pentecost, that's an interesting suggestion which, for me, brings up an even more interesting quandary (remember, I said "for me").  This probably isn't the area in which to discuss this so, if I should move it, I will...but here goes...

I'm a pastor...and I'm theologically progressive but, just the other day, while watching the "Vampire Killer Kit" video and thinking how much I'd like to attempt that, I thought "hmmm...I'd not include a cross...but, what's a vampire killing kit without a cross!?"  To me (and I'm not judging anyone ELSE here...just speaking for myself), I'd not want to "authorize" a cross for a such a purpose, that is...make a fantasy kit which includes a symbol holy to Christians.  The same would, of course, go for "holy water" .  I'm not Catholic, but wouldn't want to offend those who are. 

I absolutely do NOT have ANY problem with other folks making vampire killing kits with crosses in 'em (or "holy water pistols").  I'd just not do it myself.

One final (?) thought in this area...I REALLY appreciated the guy in the video pointing out he wasn't desecrating the bible by scuffing/aging the cover.  And yeah, who knows, maybe the purchasers of some of his kits might actually OPEN one of those bibles.

I'm thinking a Werewolf elimination kit might be more "up my alley".

So...thanks for the "holy water pistol"suggestion (and, again, please do NOT hear me being judgmental) but, that particular use won't work for ME...but it's a hilariously creative idea!
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #2219 on: May 11, 2014, 10:17:46 am »

Found this great shadow box for all of $3. Now to decide what to put in it.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2220 on: May 11, 2014, 01:45:16 pm »

I'd put some of my more diminutive tools in it.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2221 on: May 11, 2014, 01:50:14 pm »

I'd fill it with a bunch of small shadows... Wink Grin

[Server Prayer]
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2222 on: May 11, 2014, 02:15:05 pm »

I'd fill it with a bunch of small shadows... Wink Grin

LOL.

Hmmm... miniature shadow figures...
Boxofbits
Deck Hand

« Reply #2223 on: May 11, 2014, 03:06:32 pm »

This morning's haul

added to the valve I picked up the other day, I've now got loads of bits to add to my current WIP
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 03:10:20 pm by Boxofbits » Logged
jimbits
Officer

« Reply #2224 on: May 19, 2014, 05:14:09 am »

I found these Saturday at a garage sale.  The dollar bill isn't there just for size reference...it's the amount I paid for these lovely little binocs/opera glasses.
 They're just 3.5 inches across.

I don't find a maker's mark on them.  Any ideas as to where/when they might have been made?  What might the focusing ring be made of?  I really think this is too old to be plastic, but I've read there's no white bakelite.  Are they not so old after all?

Two more things...any ballpark idea on value?  Finally, (remember, I'm a newbie) how might these fit into a steampunk look?  Unchanged but worn on a chain around one's neck?  Mounted on a rifle as a bino-scope?  

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:16:36 am by jimbits » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: