The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 23, 2019, 02:47:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 282499 times)
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2175 on: February 07, 2014, 02:38:59 pm »

Yes, exectly.  I was thinking that, but wrote CNC.  Of course, they could also be used with certain cnc machines that do trace measuring- pretty much the same type of thing as you posted. Maybe even more $$$!

Just would be interesting to find out where they come from and why they are not being used.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #2176 on: February 07, 2014, 06:30:15 pm »

Yes, exectly.  I was thinking that, but wrote CNC.  Of course, they could also be used with certain cnc machines that do trace measuring- pretty much the same type of thing as you posted. Maybe even more $$$!

Just would be interesting to find out where they come from and why they are not being used.

Take out the padding from the case, to see if there are any documents hidden in there.

Things like this often need to be periodically sent to the manufacturer or to a metrology lab to be certified that they are still within spec; you might find a certificate or a reminder of when they were due to be re-certified.

Inspect the parts themselves closely; they should be marked with a part number, a serial number and a manufacturer's name.

--
Keith
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #2177 on: February 08, 2014, 04:31:14 am »

Yes, exectly.  I was thinking that, but wrote CNC.  Of course, they could also be used with certain cnc machines that do trace measuring- pretty much the same type of thing as you posted. Maybe even more $$$!

Take out the padding from the case, to see if there are any documents hidden in there.

Things like this often need to be periodically sent to the manufacturer or to a metrology lab to be certified that they are still within spec; you might find a certificate or a reminder of when they were due to be re-certified.

Inspect the parts themselves closely; they should be marked with a part number, a serial number and a manufacturer's name.

Romer.  Tracking down more info.....

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #2178 on: March 01, 2014, 04:55:56 am »

Pair of antique binoculars, French WW1 era, brass body, leather covering (partially missing) brass body.  Similar to this pair:

Or these, closer in condition:

I plan on removing the rest of the leather, and attempting to remove the enamel, polishing the whole thing up as much as possible while retaining just enough patina.

Online, $6.95 plus shipping.   Grin

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2179 on: March 01, 2014, 06:13:36 pm »

You might try replacing the leather with something tan or brown that will look good with the brass. I know that some people think that brass is the end-all-be-all of steampunk, but these binoculars really will look better and more authentic with the leather.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #2180 on: March 02, 2014, 04:24:12 am »

They might... but Brass!

Seriously - I do have some other binoculars that I am restoring like that - have a fine garment-leather section in a very nice burgundy that will do a treat.  But these really cry out for the polishing treatment; if I don't like it, I can always leather them up later.

I also have a spyglass, late 19th c. that I am planning to do up in knotwork - coachwhipping finished off with turk's heads; then I will paint the line for a proper nautical look.

Cheers!

Chas.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #2181 on: March 11, 2014, 11:21:02 am »

Picked up a couple of nice leather cases at Ford car Boot sale on Saturday. One of them is a cylindrical case fro carrying  crown green bowls (similar to but in better condtion than this one but without the bowls).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The other could also, theoretically be a bowls case. It's about 8 inches square at the base and about 10 inches high with a  latch fastening and a shoulder strap. The guy who sold them to me said that he had originally wanted £15 each for them but as it was close to 'packing up time' he let me have them both  for a fiver each!!

A bottle of Gin and a small bottle of tonic fit nicely into the square  case and I can get two nice, chunky tumblers and a small container of sliced lemon into the cylindrical case....you see where I'm going with this...

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2182 on: March 11, 2014, 02:13:50 pm »

Gentle riparian booze-up!!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2183 on: March 11, 2014, 06:38:25 pm »

Picked up a couple of nice leather cases at Ford car Boot sale on Saturday...

If your car wasn't a Ford, would you be barred from selling at that show?
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #2184 on: March 11, 2014, 07:28:31 pm »

Hollow out the bowls and insert cocktail shakers.
Fill them full of tipple and gamer on.
Closest to the jack downs the contents!

It is a game that naturally precludes insane drunkenness by the nature of the action required to get another drink!

Also the rolling action guarantees your drink is mixed to perfection, should you win.

Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #2185 on: March 15, 2014, 10:47:19 am »

Romer.  Tracking down more info.....

Romer seems much less than interested in responding to my questions.....
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2186 on: March 18, 2014, 08:15:14 pm »

Not from a flea merket, not vintage, arguable not steampunk, but i thought someone might like this:

GI Joe has made a lot of WWII toys, a few WWI toys, and a very few Civil War toys, but this is probably the only Spanish American War action figure that they ever made.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2187 on: March 18, 2014, 11:30:39 pm »

Very shiny white teeth!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2188 on: March 19, 2014, 12:35:58 am »

He seems to have been the first president to smile for photos.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #2189 on: March 19, 2014, 09:19:50 am »

Paid slightly over the top for a cheap wind-up movement today at a car boot......but........A monkey butler shaving clock, solid brass base and casing and his hand shaves on every second count........ ummmmm.......... £20, but I just had to have it! Grin
~SeVeN~

Apparently this was an amazing deal.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301022482248

Look at the profile of seller of the "shaving mokey" clock, vcillc. Look at his photo. Oh, he looks just like somebody on Google Plus calling himself Venture Capital International, which if a limited liability company would abbreviate to… VCI LLC. Coincidence, surely…

jimbits
Officer

« Reply #2190 on: April 14, 2014, 04:24:15 am »

from the local goodwill store about 6 weeks ago.  It's a mid-19th century powder flask.  It cost me $3.99 US.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:27:43 am by jimbits » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2191 on: April 16, 2014, 07:41:55 pm »

So a trip around the local charity shops revealed I missed out on a bowler hat several weeks ago, one shop is under renovation and full of modern crap, and the other shop had nothing of interest.   Roll Eyes

About to give up and call it a day, when I spotted an old brown canvas camera case. Knew straight away it was 50's - 60's in date, and nearly didn't bother looking. But curiosity got the better of me and I took a peek. Realized it was a folding camera before I even opened the case, but inside was a 1917 No.1 Autographic Kodak Junior !!

Generic image:

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/No.1_Autographic_Kodak_Junior

A bit rough, missing one section of the leather finishing (common on these cameras), but otherwise functionally intact and working.

Price - just £5 !   Shocked  Grin

Worth a bit more, and highly collectable. Bargain! Grin  I will post a pic one I finish cleaning and fixing it.

[Server Prayer]
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2192 on: April 17, 2014, 12:55:30 am »

Nice piece. A model for what period-accurate portable equipment might look like. Somewhere on the web is a pattern for making a leather accordion-fold piece similar to the ones from these old cameras.
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2193 on: April 17, 2014, 08:56:16 am »

Walking to work the other day I passed a house that was being renovated.  In the front garden was a pile of what was once very nice furniture that at some stage had been amateurishly taken apart and it appeared, put into a loft or cellar for storage.  Whilst silently reflecting on what a dreadful waste of such lovely furniture (I assume it was intended for the skip) I noticed a hook handle sticking out.

Oooh a walking stick thinks I, I'm having that.  Instead as I pulled it out, past the handle was material covered in brick dust, cobwebs and all sorts, it was an umbrella.

Well I'll have it anyway if it works I thought and opening it, flung a cloud of decades old dust and webs into the air.  The material to my surprise was completely intact, the ribs and mechanism, whilst stiff from disuse was working and the best part, on the rib was a tiny plaque, Fox and Sons - Paragon.  One of the best umbrellas made by one of the oldest manufacturers of umbrellas.

Needless to say I was quite pleased to rescue that from its likely home in a skip.

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Call of Cthulhu"
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #2194 on: April 29, 2014, 03:08:26 am »

I've not found anything as spectacular as you good folks, but I did stumble across a couple of potentially useful items at the Goodwill.

An interesting Chinese box shaped like a truncated pyramid. Refinish it in something a bit less cheerful, give it a satin padded lining, and its all set to house a mysterious jade idol. Only set me back $3.

And one of those dime-a-dozen plastic weather stations. If nothing else I can reclaim the nice dial pointers and refinish the casings for making proper gauges. This one set me back $4.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:22:16 am by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Gregor
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2195 on: May 01, 2014, 02:10:30 am »

Tag sale season in Connecticut opened  Saturday 26 April and it was cold, rainy, and I had not much time.
Managed to stop at 1 and bought a banged up brass lamp for parts and 2 boxes of trophys for $5.
Mostly plastic, but after rendering they coughed up 12 marble bases, all manner of hardware, some re-useable brass sheet, and a few plastic eagles.
Rendering =

The rest of the stuff goes up on eBay as my first 1 penny opening bid auction! They were from a family of 3 girls
as all the plastic tops are girl softball, little league, soccer (football), and basketball. This Saturday I have all day
to go hunting, unless I decide to go to a flea-market as a dealer.

Cheers! - g

Could somebody Pleeease explain to my mother that it is steam PUNK not steam PIMP!?!
jimbits
Officer

« Reply #2196 on: May 04, 2014, 09:40:17 am »

Found a BUNCH of stuff but will just post this one, for now...and a couple of questions.  Any idea on value? Anyone ever seen one like it?
It's approximately 28 inches long.  Hardwood stock. Weighs a ton. Obviously just a prop (Sorry about the poor photos...quick shots w/ a phone).
And yes, that's a boar's head (upside down) just behind the trigger!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2197 on: May 04, 2014, 10:18:45 pm »

I went to a flee market to find action figures for my comic shop, but I also happened upon this.

With the weird coloration, and the minimized detail, how many people will recognize the car?

This cheap plastic Matchbox-scale (about three inches long) toy is marked "patent pending", but other than gear-toothing on the loosly-fitting plastic axels, the toy seams unremarkable. Maybe there was another part that goes with this toy; a launcher or maybe tracks. No date or manufacturer's markings.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2198 on: May 04, 2014, 10:37:13 pm »

that kind of resembles the car from the Dick Van Dyke version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang; there was a whole fad of toys and such spun off from the movie and a later revival of same. That one of yours there looks like a cereal box prize to my mind, or maybe an Asian knock-off; there were quite a few of those as well if I remember right.

Too, there was and still is a faddish fascination with old cars on the cheapo toy market. I'm not sure why it endures.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Moriarty
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2199 on: May 04, 2014, 10:42:11 pm »

Jimbits, I happen upon one off these only last week in a brickerbrack shop only the barrel was considerably longer by at least a foot. I thought it had some potential, my wife thought otherwise  Sad I think the chap wanted £30 for it.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: