The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 21, 2020, 10:27:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 287689 times)
Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

It's the Captain, Lilith Vanderstorme!

« Reply #2150 on: December 17, 2013, 10:33:02 am »

Oh I realised I had something to show too! Cheesy
These teapot spouts were a flea marker find, I turned them into a pair of steampunk horns Smiley

THAT there is awesome.... is it for sale?

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #2151 on: December 18, 2013, 03:41:18 am »

A favorite thrift shop, as we were passing through, for old times' sake:

A jean-cloth repro 9-button military vest, nearly unworn, $4.99

A tweed frock coat, brown herring-bone; content label missing, but I am pretty sure it is 100% wool; missing the buttons, but nearly unworn, $9.99

Now, each of these would be a wonderful find in and of itself.  But first you have to understand that I have a 52-inch chest, with a 10-12 inch drop.  It's hard to find clothes that fit me anywhere - and these fit.  Like they were tailored for me.

I believe the term is SCORE!!!!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #2152 on: January 01, 2014, 11:09:52 am »

Paid slightly over the top for a cheap wind-up movement today at a car boot......but........A monkey butler shaving clock, solid brass base and casing and his hand shaves on every second count........ ummmmm.......... £20, but I just had to have it! Grin
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
~SeVeN~

Apparently this was an amazing deal.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301022482248

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #2153 on: January 01, 2014, 11:14:24 am »

Got 13 slightly tatty copies of pictorial education from 1927/28 for a tenner.

The original plan was to cut out some photos, knock up some picture frames for the the best ones, then paste the rest as wallpaper somewhere.

I cant do it! should I destroy 87 year old publications? No.

Oh well, not sure what to do with them now......

~SeVeN~

Scan and reprint the images you would have framed....?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2154 on: January 01, 2014, 01:36:24 pm »

Paid slightly over the top for a cheap wind-up movement today at a car boot......but........A monkey butler shaving clock, solid brass base and casing and his hand shaves on every second count........ ummmmm.......... £20,

<snip>

Apparently this was an amazing deal.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301022482248

Now you see, this is what happens when ebay sellers smoke crack.... Roll Eyes

So, they want US $1,599.00, but we are assured: "from the 1800s probably French or English" - Uhm....no. More likely the 1980's, and probably most of it is Chinese...
OK, bit unfair - parts of the clock are old. It's what is known in the trade as a 'marriage' - different parts mated up. This one is right in the fraud territory though.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't post an image showing the obviously modern mechanism (I see plastic!...), but the fact the next image shows the backplate has TWO holes for winding keys, and only one installed, should be an indicator all is not well with this clock...  Roll Eyes  Two holes mean this used to be a chiming clock - well, bit's of it were anyway...

But most damning of all - the clock is shown with a paper tag tied to one of the posts. Yup - this clock recently came from an "antiques" store or an auction. They were ripped, they probably know it, and are trying to get their money back from the next unsuspecting moron to bid on it...  *sigh*

SS

[Server Prayer]
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2155 on: January 01, 2014, 05:51:22 pm »

The internals were indeed plastic and very badly made. After a slight accident involving alcohol, a dog with a raggy and a somewhat vigorous game of tug of war, that clock ended up slightly knacked and unrepairable about 6 months ago.

Stripped and ditched the guts, but kept the brassy bits for an unknown future project.

A grand for a piece of Chinese Rubbish............ Good luck my friend  Shocked

~SeVeN~

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2156 on: January 01, 2014, 06:10:01 pm »

^What?^ (is this response for something a while ago or am i on crack?, confused)

I can't see any plastic in there(not on my tablet,at least),but I do see that the mech is fairly new(brass is pretty clean,rivets too new style). Wish one had the time to contact the seller or ebay and call it out.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2157 on: January 01, 2014, 07:00:36 pm »

^What?^ (is this response for something a while ago or am i on crack?, confused)

I can't see any plastic in there(not on my tablet,at least),but I do see that the mech is fairly new(brass is pretty clean,rivets too new style). Wish one had the time to contact the seller or ebay and call it out.

I originally posted this April 2012.......

So sorry, I got that wrong ( I buy a lot of clocks at car boots)

This mechanism was mostly brass with some plastic, but still cheap rubbish, not worth more than £40 - £60 tops.

~SeVeN~
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2158 on: January 01, 2014, 07:17:39 pm »

Good, I thought I had wwwaaayyy too much to drink last night.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2159 on: January 01, 2014, 07:30:38 pm »

I originally posted this April 2012.......

So sorry, I got that wrong ( I buy a lot of clocks at car boots)

This mechanism was mostly brass with some plastic, but still cheap rubbish, not worth more than £40 - £60 tops.

~SeVeN~

They are still producing them - I just found several styles and suppliers...  It's been going on for years, seen them on TV antiques shows before. Undecided

I'm going to have to stop looking at ebay and most auction houses now - I have just found a number of items I *know* to be fake / repro (I have some) being traded as real antiques by supposedly professional dealers.  For instance the identical (inc same casting mould flaw) "Georgian" candle sticks in my hallway, which I just found on a USA auction house lot, are in fact made recently in India and are worth whatever the scrap value is.  They should not be several hundred Dollars!  Angry

Man, the fakes and scams are getting ever more blatant!  Sad

SS
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #2160 on: January 01, 2014, 09:20:27 pm »

They are still producing them - I just found several styles and suppliers... 

Still in production? Where and how much?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2161 on: January 01, 2014, 10:19:30 pm »

A couple of online shops and a questionable looking trade site (like more iffy version of Alibaba. com...). I didn't pay too much attention, sorry.  Undecided

SS
Nymla
Deck Hand
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #2162 on: January 02, 2014, 10:47:14 am »

Oh I realised I had something to show too! Cheesy
These teapot spouts were a flea marker find, I turned them into a pair of steampunk horns Smiley

THAT there is awesome.... is it for sale?

Thank you so much! Sorry, those ones are not for sale but I plan to make more like them, if I can find more spouts! xD

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2163 on: January 05, 2014, 10:42:49 pm »

Not, strictly speaking, my find. My business partner got this stuff at an auction:
Hundreds of keys; dozens of padlocks. We were even lucky enough to match up some of the keys to the locks.

Also included a box of collector's coins, wooden nickles, arcade tokens, transit tokens, and sales tax tokens. And if anyone is time traveling to WWII, I have a bunch of ration points I can sell you. Also a bag of one-pint dairy tokens; they must have been used to pay for milk deliveries.
Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #2164 on: January 11, 2014, 10:00:26 pm »

OH MY GOD THE GORGEOUS LOCK

The one with the wood en the ironon the top and bottom....
Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #2165 on: January 11, 2014, 10:01:15 pm »

these locks are gorgeous...~<3
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #2166 on: January 18, 2014, 09:27:26 pm »

its not a flea market but i found my first ever steampunk items at the uniqe thrift store in minneapolis.

moustache

Huh  Shocked Was it stuffed and placed in a display case?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2167 on: February 03, 2014, 01:07:43 pm »

Yesterday's success was two long walking skirts and 3 waistcoats for £20 total from a vintage sale.

On a slight tangent I recommend these vintage sales. The stock is from the last few decades so there will be nothing genuinely victorian/Edwardian but the sale yesterday had 4 rails of waistcoats, both men's and women's and there were some tweed jackets that may also have steampunk potential. However the one before Christmas was dominated by Christmas jumpers so the selection may be a bit random. It is like a giant jumble sale and you buy by weight (my haul last time contained several silk scarves.... Nice and light!)

This is the link to the website: http://www.judysvintagefair.co.uk/kilo/, if you haven't got other plans for a weekend it may well be worth a rummage.
WinterHaven
Snr. Officer
Latvia Latvia

« Reply #2168 on: February 03, 2014, 09:10:02 pm »

We don't really have flea markets here - occasional markets but more for arty types to sell their jewellery, but people are starting to get the idea of second hand, so we now have a couple of stores which I visit regularly. Imagine my glee on finding a roll of gorgeous blue chenille at €2 and then, calling into another pace on the way home, a victorian short jacket which I can both wear AND copy.

'If you were going to make a ghost-trap, how would you set about it? -particularly if you had not even a small ghost to practice on.' -Wyndham
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #2169 on: February 07, 2014, 02:38:50 am »

No specific idea what I'm gonna do with this stuff...... but it was free....

a mini tesla coil and some gun parts?

and I have the keys to the locking latch.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:58:02 am by Professor J. Cogsworthy » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #2170 on: February 07, 2014, 03:49:52 am »

Any idea what those were made for? I've seen CNC edge probes that look a bit like that.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2171 on: February 07, 2014, 04:00:34 am »

And if they are CNC items, wouldn't that make the pricey$$- must be something wrong with them otherwise I'd sell them!!

And buy more stuff!!!!!!!!!!!
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #2172 on: February 07, 2014, 04:23:15 am »

We don't really have flea markets here - occasional markets but more for arty types to sell their jewellery, but people are starting to get the idea of second hand, so we now have a couple of stores which I visit regularly. Imagine my glee on finding a roll of gorgeous blue chenille at €2 and then, calling into another pace on the way home, a victorian short jacket which I can both wear AND copy.

Ummm....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Rastro

When I lived in Spain, one thing that I really wanted to do was to visit El Rastro in Madrid.  Never got there, but it always seemed to me that this would be the perfect source for steambits.
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #2173 on: February 07, 2014, 12:31:45 pm »

And if they are CNC items, wouldn't that make the pricey$$- must be something wrong with them otherwise I'd sell them!!

And buy more stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they are tips from measuring arm of some kind.... No idea which one.

http://www.faro.com/en-us/products/metrology/measuring-arm-faro-gage/overview

Its not this one.... but same basic idea......
WinterHaven
Snr. Officer
Latvia Latvia

« Reply #2174 on: February 07, 2014, 01:05:54 pm »

Quote from: Captain Lyerly link=topic=9398.msg888637#msg888637
[/quote

Ummm....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Rastro

When I lived in Spain, one thing that I really wanted to do was to visit El Rastro in Madrid.  Never got there, but it always seemed to me that this would be the perfect source for steambits.

When I lived in Madrid I did go, but it never seemed very 'Steamy' I wasn't into Steampunk then so I may simply have failed to notice.

These days I'm up North and it's  a little far to go!
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: