The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 29, 2020, 04:32:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 290853 times)
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #2025 on: June 11, 2013, 04:28:56 pm »

Au contraire... it was hooked up to - everything.

I think it might be measuring the rate of decay of the universe; one would hope for a reading as close to zero as possible.

Grin

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #2026 on: June 21, 2013, 08:20:41 pm »

Picked this up today:

La Contessa found a very nice lorgnette.  She is going to try to find an optician who can put her prescription into it.

Cheers!

Chas.
Plutus Sar
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2027 on: June 26, 2013, 06:41:39 pm »

Found this at a "antique radio show and sale".  It's not a radio, it's a test instrument, but REALLY NEAT!

No clue if it works, but with a little cleaning it will certainly look sharp.  It's large, about 18 inches across, very impressive, though a little late for SteamPunk.

"The problem is not that I was born in the wrong time, but that I should have been born in a time which has never existed..."
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2028 on: June 26, 2013, 08:11:56 pm »

It looks very cool, but it seems to be missing a meter.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2029 on: June 26, 2013, 08:32:28 pm »

I believe that space is actually a small (2 - 3 inch?) green CRT for the built in O-scope...  Wink

Nice find! dates from around 1940 I think. Chances are it will need to be totally recapped before it will function, not so easy to find suitable replacements these days either (still looking for my early 1960's O-scope). I had a quick check for a manual and found a link that may be of use:  http://www.supremeinstruments.org/data.htm

I would pull the back off to check for damaged wires / rust etc, and give it a gentle clean out with an air duster / air line (be carefull around the CRT tube - very thin and dangerous - IMPLOSION RISK!), check all the valves are seated correctly, then plug it in and see if she fires up. Smiley

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #2030 on: June 26, 2013, 10:17:15 pm »

I'm rather chuffed about an eBay find I received today.

A silver cane top & ferrule.

Further investigation of the hallmarks has revealed it to be from Harrison Bros. & Howson (Sheffield) circa 1865.

All for the princely sum of £14.10 inc P&P Shocked Grin Smiley

Photos once it's been attached to a cane

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Plutus Sar
Officer

« Reply #2031 on: July 01, 2013, 02:20:18 pm »

I believe that space is actually a small (2 - 3 inch?) green CRT for the built in O-scope...  Wink

Indeed, the "missing meter" on the right is a CRT for an early oscilloscope!  The instrument came with the manual - actually typewritten, not copied!  It also has a bunch of handwritten notes in it, much of which I can't read as the ink has bled.  I've opened it up and it seems complete.  I'm working on cleaning it an replacing a couple of missing screws.  I think I will try it out, once I'm confident that it's safe.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2032 on: July 01, 2013, 06:42:02 pm »

If this is really from 1940, that would be a very early oscilloscope.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2033 on: July 01, 2013, 09:39:24 pm »

If this is really from 1940, that would be a very early oscilloscope.

Well it's listed here in this 1941 Supreme Catalog :

The price was $129.50 - not exactly cheap, but not too bad considering.

It is fairly early, yes - oscilloscopes were around in one form or another from about the turn of the century, but only as very experimental measurement devices in the laboratory. The 'moving-coil Oscillograph' from the 1920's is probably the earliest recognisable device, but for something directly comparable with a "display over time" (time base) line, then you would be looking at the 'String Oscillograph' from the late 1920's or the first CROs from the 30's. The first commercially built Cathode-Ray Oscilloscope was the type 535 built by the General Radio in 1931, which used the invention of the linear sweep circuit by Professor Bedell of Cornell, to provide the time base component of the display trace.

Mind you, the O-scope business didn't actually take off until after 1950, and then it was mainly due to the availability of WWII surplus equipment flooding the market.

SS
Plutus Sar
Officer

« Reply #2034 on: July 02, 2013, 01:02:43 pm »

I found this on a webpage:

Supreme Model 560A

The Vedolyzer uses a 2" 2AP1 CRT for display. This device was called a "Complete Dynamic Analyzer", it consisted of a oscillograph, vacuum tube voltmeter, dynamic signal tracer, multimeter, and a wave meter all in one 35 lb. package.

Described in the 1941 catalog:

"SUPREME engineers proudly present the SUPREME VEDOLYZER as the zenith in DYNAMIC TESTERS--the instrument that will strike off the fettering bonds of "buggy" time-losing, loss-producing receiver servicing."

The price for this in 1941 was $129.50
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2035 on: July 19, 2013, 09:54:55 pm »

Rescued from ending up in landfill - a 19th century historical reference book Bound in 3/4 gilt decorated leather with bands and gilt decorated spine, with gold embossed page edges. Seems to have been published c1860. 

Old England: A Pictorial Museum of Regal, Ecclesiastical, Municipal, Baronial, and Popular Antiquities Volume 1

Sadly it has been attacked by scissors. All the colour plates have been removed (badly), and a number of pages with black & white engravings have been chopped up.  Cry  Still at least somebody has some pretty pictures for their walls now...  Roll Eyes  GAARRRRGHHH!!

Also found four similar sized large books from 1924, in the piles of old books we saved from house clearances back when we were a building firm. Nothing special, about furniture from different periods, but will look great on my shelf.   Grin

SS
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #2036 on: July 20, 2013, 04:56:57 pm »

You will see that sort of thing a lot these days.  The book would retail at an antiques shop for about 20 pounds; but 30 plates cut out and put in cheap frames will clear 500 pounds.

Really, really sad.

Chas.
Gerry Hunter
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #2037 on: July 21, 2013, 08:36:24 am »

"Handbook of watch and clock repair, revised edition" 1974 H.G. HARRIS.

well it's one of many books I got at a used book sale. One of the others is a book on the history of American Pin-ups and the best known artists. With text in three languages and over 900 color pin-up illustrations.
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #2038 on: July 25, 2013, 09:32:37 pm »

Not quite a flea market find but it was being chucked out (into a skip !!!!!) by a friend so I asked if i could have it - bargain !!!!

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #2039 on: July 25, 2013, 09:35:59 pm »

A classic! Hope you found a bowler hat to go with it!

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #2040 on: July 25, 2013, 09:50:31 pm »

A classic! Hope you found a bowler hat to go with it!
Alas no Sad
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« Reply #2041 on: July 27, 2013, 03:30:34 am »

Is anyone else who is located in the United States looking foward to the world's longest yard sale?
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #2042 on: July 27, 2013, 03:11:01 pm »

La Contessa and I are strategerizing Grin our raid on the Longest Yard sale.  We will probably go on Friday; it technically starts on Thursday, but many places don't set up then.  We are going to go around a large part of it, as the more built-up sections end up with higher prices and leaner selections (not to mention really bad traffic!), and end up our day coming back towards home through those sections.

Cheers!

Chas.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #2043 on: July 31, 2013, 01:23:24 am »

Stopped off at a charity shop on the way back from a journey to the headwaters of the Tellico River today.  La Contessa spotted one of these:

Unpolished and dirty, of course.  But it has two important little words, almost unreadable, under the foot: Gorham and Sterling.

We paid a grand sum of 49 cents.  Plus sales tax, of course.

Shocked

Cool

Cheers!

Chas.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #2044 on: July 31, 2013, 03:02:19 am »

Nice find, Chas!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #2045 on: July 31, 2013, 07:18:28 am »

I have been haunting the thrift stores for vintage crystal and glass candle holders.  My idea was to have about 5 mismatched holders with white tapers on each table at our wedding, instead of the traditional flower arrangement.  i am up to about 46.  NOW I find out that insurance rules prohibit live flames in our venue.

anyone want to buy a candleholder?

or thirty?
 Roll Eyes
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #2046 on: July 31, 2013, 11:37:35 am »

Here's a story about why it's always a good idea to keep your eyes open for unusual items at car book sales, flea markets etc:

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/3-8216-Warhol-8217-sketch-listed-eBay-8211-1/story-19593169-detail/story.html.

A man from Devon paid around £3 for a few sketches at a sale in Las Vegas. It turns out one of them may be an early drawing by Andy Warhol (although he hasn't been able to have it authenticated). He's currently selling it on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350844410846) at a starting bid of £1,250,000 (with free P&P).

Wirecase
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #2047 on: August 05, 2013, 02:00:20 pm »

Hey hey,

Here are the spoils of my latest search for parts!

- 4 gramophone arms
- 4 box corners
- 2 ashtray like things
- some random gramophone parts

- A rather large micro Amp meter 90mm glass diameter
- A horn without the rubber bellow
- A brass bell shaped ehh... thing...

Closeup of the Amp meter:

Quite please with my finds!!

To Steampunk or not to Steampunk, that's the question...
Prof Samuel.H.F.Foreman
Snr. Officer
England England

100% mad scientist, 0% eyebrows

« Reply #2048 on: August 05, 2013, 02:53:47 pm »

your triangular ash tray looks like the needle tray from a 20s case gramophone.

Also (not a steampunk find) but I have just purchased a banjolele  for £25, from a marvellous stall at the
Small World festival at badger farm, that looks to have signed on the skin the name 'G. Formby'! Shocked                                                     
I don't know if its real yet, even if it is his signature it probably wasn't owned by him, I think a lucky fan got his/her banjolele signed or something like that.

good day,
                Me

professor Farnsworth:
"Good news everyone, I've just invented a machine that makes you read this in my voice!"
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2049 on: August 05, 2013, 03:02:16 pm »

Hey hey,

Here are the spoils of my latest search for parts!

- 4 gramophone arms
- 4 box corners
- 2 ashtray like things
- some random gramophone parts

- A rather large micro Amp meter 90mm glass diameter
- A horn without the rubber bellow
- A brass bell shaped ehh... thing...

Closeup of the Amp meter:

Quite please with my finds!!

Nice finds.  The gramophone arms are very useful.

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: