The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 13, 2020, 10:41:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 292230 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1975 on: March 04, 2013, 12:44:30 am »

Treasure!
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #1976 on: March 04, 2013, 11:17:28 am »

I simply meant I had nothing more to show than this single acquisition.

I'll take one block of gold over 1000 blocks of lead any day of the week!
I meant you no disrespect. It is clear that this was a great man who accomplished many things in his life and (alas as we all must do) left a few things incomplete.

It is a noble aim to take the dreams of a lost relative further; the apathy and forgetfulness of time will not assail remembrance revitalized by the living.

You have my sincerest condolences for your loss and my deepest respect for your current course of action.

bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #1977 on: March 04, 2013, 11:30:04 am »

Whenever we go to a flea market with our 3 year old daughter, she always goes home with a free gift. It started about a year or two ago when she pointed at a stuffed animal and smiled to the sales lady.
Yesterday she managed to get a huge box of Hama beads with half a dozen peg boards. For free. Just a smile and a eye batter.  Grin
Unfortunatly it didn't work when I wanted to buy a second hand camera lens.  Undecided

She knows how the beads work and she can get the colored beads on the peg board, but she doesn't have the patience to finish a project. It's mostly a joint project, she finding the right color and me putting them in place. Or vice versa.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Sulla
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Full of steam, young in punk.

« Reply #1978 on: March 04, 2013, 06:32:36 pm »

What a lovely response.  Though his death was 29 years ago, he obviously keeps appearing in my life with these little treasures he's left behind. 

I applaud your well written and sincere words, and appreciate the sentiment. Please know they have touched my soul and I shall be ever grateful for your kindness.

I simply meant I had nothing more to show than this single acquisition.

I'll take one block of gold over 1000 blocks of lead any day of the week!
I meant you no disrespect. It is clear that this was a great man who accomplished many things in his life and (alas as we all must do) left a few things incomplete.

It is a noble aim to take the dreams of a lost relative further; the apathy and forgetfulness of time will not assail remembrance revitalized by the living.

You have my sincerest condolences for your loss and my deepest respect for your current course of action.

-Andy
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #1979 on: March 10, 2013, 03:45:20 am »

Big day at the dump today. Freon had about fifty pounds of brass and copper items set aside for me. Here's some of the loot. Also included, a copper moonshine still.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:49:43 am by WillRockwell » Logged

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #1980 on: March 10, 2013, 06:18:44 am »

That's a nice book holder under there - I got one very much like it for La Contessa.  Best trade I ever er, she loves it, uses it to hold her vintage cookbooks in the kitchen here at the Lair.

An original distillation unit is quite the score.  Do hang on to that, but don't *get caught* using it...  Grin

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1981 on: March 10, 2013, 09:53:12 am »

Wasn't it so that moonshine stills are worth about 15 to 20 ? Grin

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #1982 on: March 10, 2013, 03:58:12 pm »

Gun barrels and rocket nozzles cunningly disguised as candlesticks

and a wind up alarm clock and a pressure gage

the five candle candle stick even has some small brass balls that I can re-purpose
for the small lyden jar I have been wanting to make.

( and a handcranked grinding wheel that is not pictured )

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1983 on: March 11, 2013, 02:56:13 am »

And PopRocks!!!!!! Yay!!!!

Nice gauge!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1984 on: March 11, 2013, 09:49:40 pm »

And PopRocks!!!!!! Yay!!!!

Nice gauge!

Indeed - a rather lovely gauge, well found.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Ian Mcbean
« Reply #1985 on: April 01, 2013, 12:54:14 pm »

It is one of my greatset dreams to one day visit Scotland. I have heard of a place in Glasga' called The Barras. It is a flea market type concept where it is possible to find "anything from a needle to an anchor". If any of you fine folk have any firsthand knowledge of this place, would it be worthwhile looking for any typical items that would be steamable? Also how are the prices? BTW my persona will be an officer in the Scottish Navy. (In my timeline Elizabeth I married and had three sons, so there never was a merging of the crowns), also the Darien Adventure was a smashing sauces. Alba gu braugh (sp?)
Rooster
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1986 on: April 01, 2013, 01:10:33 pm »

It is one of my greatset dreams to one day visit Scotland. I have heard of a place in Glasga' called The Barras. It is a flea market type concept where it is possible to find "anything from a needle to an anchor". If any of you fine folk have any firsthand knowledge of this place, would it be worthwhile looking for any typical items that would be steamable? Also how are the prices? BTW my persona will be an officer in the Scottish Navy. (In my timeline Elizabeth I married and had three sons, so there never was a merging of the crowns), also the Darien Adventure was a smashing sauces. Alba gu braugh (sp?)

The Barras isn't the marketplace it once was. Haven't been there for years but I've never found anything good there.
Ian Mcbean
« Reply #1987 on: April 01, 2013, 01:59:47 pm »

Thanks for the heads up Rooster. If I ever do get there I might just  give it a quick once over, but for nonsteamy things, and if
i should find something useful, hey that would be serendipitous!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1988 on: April 12, 2013, 09:35:27 pm »

Not really a flea-market find; someone brought it into my store for trade. I remember these being sold at FAO Schwartz when i was a kid. I think that they still make them, but a cool item nonetheless.

Does anyone know where I can buy the fuel pellets?
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #1989 on: April 13, 2013, 08:15:20 am »

Does anyone know where I can buy the fuel pellets?

If you cannot find the pellets, one can use either a "tea light candle" or make a miniature alcohol lamp with a twist of cotton ball in a metal bottle-cap.

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Wirecase
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #1990 on: April 15, 2013, 07:07:08 am »

That's a nice looking D20, mine misses the pressure meter and the condensation pan (next to the cilinder)... Please don't go for the tea light candle, those will turn you kettle black and can even discolor it... The best thing is to make a small alcohol lamp as RJBowman suggests but make it in such a way that it fits the fire tray that comes with the D20. If you use a bottle-cap you will be point heating the kettle which can discolor your ketle again by locally overheating (or so they tell me). Instead of the cotton ball method you can also go for the "alcohol gel"....

Just my two cents :-)

To Steampunk or not to Steampunk, that's the question...
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1991 on: April 15, 2013, 08:22:21 am »

That's a nice looking D20, mine misses the pressure meter and the condensation pan (next to the cilinder)... Please don't go for the tea light candle, those will turn you kettle black and can even discolor it... The best thing is to make a small alcohol lamp as RJBowman suggests but make it in such a way that it fits the fire tray that comes with the D20. If you use a bottle-cap you will be point heating the kettle which can discolor your ketle again by locally overheating (or so they tell me). Instead of the cotton ball method you can also go for the "alcohol gel"....

Just my two cents :-)
Any more details (or URLs) on these suggestions? I have a D8 that hasn't run for decades due to a lack of fuel.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1992 on: April 15, 2013, 06:18:32 pm »

If you want the correct fuel tablets search for "Hexamine fuel tablet" or "Esbit". These are used in fold away camping stoves, which can be found in most camping / outdoor stores and also usually in army surplus stores (I think the stoves are used by the Swedish army...). Technically they are not the exact fuel tablets, but they are a suitable replacement (cheaper too - it's what use for my steam models).

Also easy to find on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=SOLID+FUEL+TABLETS&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Mamod fuel tablets are the correct type, but I don't know if you can find them in the USA  (eBay?).

Today I scored a nice large glass dome (14" high x 7" wide) and a glass 'bell jar' (7" wide, flared to 9" at base x 10" high - plant cloche type, rather than thick laboratory vacuum type...sadly), both hand-blown. Cost just £10 for the pair at T.K Max - happy enough with that.  Grin  Also found a hand blown smoked / amber glass bottle, not unlike common lab chemical containers, looks to hold about 1 litre. Price - £2. Bargain!  Grin 

Plus 2 small rectangular green glass bottles (similar to old poison bottles) at the charity shop. £0.75p   Grin

I now have a project brewing for the large glass dome......it's gona be a good 'un!  Wink

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #1993 on: April 15, 2013, 06:32:35 pm »

RJBowman - cool find!

This past weekend I found another chainmail glove in a large batch of fishing gear (I bought some lures too - Hope springs eternal.)  I already ran it through the dishwasher.  http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,42207,45887&p=56153

-Karl
Combat Gerbil
Officer

Sweeney Todd

« Reply #1994 on: April 21, 2013, 03:55:39 pm »

Found these, antique reproduction antique pistols... at the local bootsale this morning. Seen better days but for £6 the pair, I couldn't just leave them could I?

Judging by the age, degradation of the metals I'd guess they are Victorian repros.. but then again they may only be 20-30 years old.. So to Steampunk or leave them as display pieces... or even semi restore them.. that's the question..
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1995 on: April 21, 2013, 05:44:04 pm »

When I worked at Hardee's back in '86', there was a pair of chain mail gloves just like that, which was worn by whoever washed the meat slicer. The gloves' fingers were just a little too short for my hands. I think that you might be able to order them from restaurant suppliers.
and_solo_said
Snr. Officer

Maker of leather things

« Reply #1996 on: April 26, 2013, 05:46:56 pm »

Me and my girlfriend had a very fruitful rummage around a flea market on the outskirts of Budapest on Sunday. Most of it was shut up (the main trading day is Saturday), but I can't complain about what was there.

We got a three-dial gauge and some glass vials from the first stall we came to for only £2.50. The dial reads 'Filmtechnika Budapest'

Sarah got this big clock mechanism, complete with mechanical bird and a handful of spare gears, for £12:

And a working miniature storm lantern for £3:

On our way out we got this big gauge (apparently handmade in the late 19th century, but I have no way of checking), with a free clock mechanism thrown in! This mechanism still moves, so we won't be cannibalising it.

We also couldn't resist these:

Everything survived the trip back in our hand luggage, although there was a small crowd around the x-ray monitor when my bag went through with all of the clockwork! Needless to say, we will be going back on a Saturday.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1997 on: April 26, 2013, 06:19:39 pm »

The local Salvation Army thrift store just received about a dozen older linen colored tuxedo shirts similar to:

Amazingly some are my size, 17+ neck and long.  My guess is that a local dry cleaner donated their unclaimed cleaning and these were someones' old work shirts(?)  Maybe from one of the many summer cruise ship crews(?)  Most have this collar and still have the front buttons along with the stud holes.  Some have only cufflink holes but are not French cuffs (fashion faux pasWink
I bought two yesterday to make sure that they fit me at a $1.00 each.  I plan to pick up any that are left today at lunch. 
I should not need to pay for overpriced laundry if we take another SP cruise at least. 
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1998 on: April 26, 2013, 10:39:21 pm »

And I just bought the other half dozen shirts in my size including one nice straight collar one.

(I need a nicer collar stud like this one.)

They still have a number of other large sizes left so I'll let the other SP types here know. 
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1999 on: May 01, 2013, 12:31:35 am »

Called into charity shop on the off-chance they had some old books - and scored big time!  22 old books for 50 pence each!! Grin

First off, There was a pile of books that seem to be donated from the "Brodick Public Library" (google shows this to be on the Isle of Arran in Scotland), ALL are Victorian (1870's - 1880 / 90's), and one dated 1901...  Grin  WOOT!
There is nothing of any note, all odd volumes or of a topic that makes them of little monetary value, but there are one or two first editions in there.

Sadly some of them are beyond saving or very rough at best, although they still look nice on a shelf - which what I intended for them anyway.

Secondly, I found a Mrs Beeton they had chucked in the waste bin!  Shocked  It was black with grime and the title was illegible, and the cover boards are soft and torn, the spine cover failing. But still...  Angry

However, among the pile there was a few nice finds:

1871 print of The Life of John Sterling by Thomas Carlyle. Very good condition, original library sticker on spine.

What seems to be a first edition (or very early edition) of "Drayton Hall" by Julia Mathews.  VERY good condition!

1901 print (tenth edition) of " memories & portraits" by Robert Louis Stevenson. Good condition.

An 1885 edition of "The Little Schoolmaster Mark" by J. H. Shorthouse. Good condition.

And finally, a circa 1860's edition of Mrs Beetons "The Englishwoman's Cookery Book". State - rough as a badgers arse!  Sad Managed to gently clean the covers a bit so that you can at least read the title (if the book had been in better condition I wouldn't have done that ever...) Can't find much info about the book, seems to be a little scarce (presumably not a popular title then...), but Meh - I own an original Mrs Beetons now.  Grin

Not bad for a total of £11  Grin

SS
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: