The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 24, 2020, 10:47:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 288638 times)
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #1950 on: February 17, 2013, 06:28:51 pm »

Yesterday I found a case at an antique store labeled "antique machine". Inside was a Macbeth Illuminometer from 1920. I bought it for $40, God knows what I'm going to do with it. It does have a cool knife switch on the meter panel

That is SO cool.

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #1951 on: February 17, 2013, 07:22:28 pm »

The company also made the 'Romeo and Juliet' Illuminometer.

It told you 'What light through yonder window breaks?', quantitatively.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #1952 on: February 17, 2013, 10:38:30 pm »

"It is a lamp - Juliet is PISSED!"

Grin

Seriously, though, good find!

chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1953 on: February 18, 2013, 11:53:09 am »

The company also made the 'Romeo and Juliet' Illuminometer.

It told you 'What light through yonder window breaks?', quantitatively.

Grin

Beat me to it - I was going to say 'light on Macduff'...

Or 'out, out damn spot (light)'

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
DarkFlights
Deck Hand

« Reply #1954 on: February 19, 2013, 08:57:57 pm »

Hm, I may get told off for posting something from completely the wrong era, but to me, this little thing is really screaming out to be steamed up. For shame, though, it may not be salvageable in any legal road sense, but I do have an almost identical silver one that is in mint condition, but due to UK road tax laws and the violation of such by revious owner, the silver one is technically "scrap", so I may do some swapping of plates and parts to assemble a road legal ride, with the help of a good friend. Both the orange one in the picture and the unseen silver one were found on that great flea market online, of which I'm sure we're all familiar, for £60 each (from different sellers).

Then I just need to learn how to ride it and go get myself a licence, simple eh?  Grin

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #1955 on: February 21, 2013, 03:40:53 am »

Got a neat case, fitted, velvet lined, for $6.77 (about 10p, Sterling  Grin ) from a local charity shop.

Oh, one of these was inside.

Think I am going to make meself an ear trumpet.  The gun thing has already been done, dangit.

Chas.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1956 on: February 21, 2013, 03:50:18 am »

That was a great deal.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1957 on: February 21, 2013, 12:08:20 pm »

Yesterday I found a case at an antique store labeled "antique machine". Inside was a Macbeth Illuminometer from 1920. I bought it for $40, God knows what I'm going to do with it. It does have a cool knife switch on the meter panel
You're going to exhibit it in your study/wunderkammer, in the corner opposite to the Lumia Sphere. Who gives a $#!* that you didn't know what you planned to do with it; something this cool at that price should be a no-brainer, and "need" be damned!

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #1958 on: February 21, 2013, 01:12:32 pm »

You're going to exhibit it in your study/wunderkammer, in the corner opposite to the Lumia Sphere. Who gives a $#!* that you didn't know what you planned to do with it; something this cool at that price should be a no-brainer, and "need" be damned!

That's pretty much precisely what I was thinking

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1959 on: February 22, 2013, 05:37:41 am »

Well - I am off to the Ballarat swap meet tomorrow, 2,300 stalls of junk on an airfield (makes take off and landing a bit tricky).

If you walk every aisle you walk 27km.

I will be sure to find plenty of good stuff and take photos too.
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #1960 on: February 22, 2013, 09:04:53 am »

Well - I am off to the Ballarat swap meet tomorrow, 2,300 stalls of junk on an airfield (makes take off and landing a bit tricky).

First stall you come to, swap something for an old bicycle.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #1961 on: February 22, 2013, 01:15:53 pm »

I will be sure to find plenty of good stuff and take photos too.

Blimey! I thought the car boot sale at the old Ford Aerodrome in Sussex was big!!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1962 on: February 23, 2013, 06:58:31 am »

Well - Tanya and I walked the Ballarat Swap Meet today, buying things for our shop, things for us and things for my next project.

The big item for the shop we got was an antique pressed steel children's ride on horse, when you press down on the foot pedals the horse's legs move in a canter and the horse moves forward. Funny thing was - I carried it all the way back to the car without anyone asking if I was feeling a little hoarse.

For us, we got a wonderful portable wind up gramophone player, Deca model, leather case, like new condition inside, works perfectly, complete with very rare vintage record cleaner, a box of needles and a dozen records including 'Teddy Bears Picnic'.

So we are off to the park for a picnic with our portable player as soon as possible.

I scored this little lot...

Which will be used to detail the construction of a steampunk themed theatre effects control panel prop to go on stage for a production on 'Woman in black' in a few months. The setting is a theatre basement and the producer wants a steampunk set, so I am building the props and advising on the decor. I will start a build thread once I start building.

All in all a good flea market find expedition.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1963 on: February 23, 2013, 01:25:39 pm »

Great find with the gauges.  Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #1964 on: February 26, 2013, 11:34:49 am »

So last Sunday The Countess and I went to the 'unofficial' car boot sale at the old Ford Aerodrome in Sussex (the Car Boot is usually Saturday and Sunday is just a regular market but a small unofficial car booty has sprung up in the car park on Sundays now). I picked up the bargain of the year..a brand new, pristine (and fully working) Corby 5000 trouser press....for £5.00. (RRP £135-£150)
 Woo..and indeed..Hoo!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:20:09 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #1965 on: February 28, 2013, 01:32:32 am »

Acquired one of those domed-topped 'sea chest' style trunks, off Freeshare. Lugged it home on a trolley, but it is going to need a bit of work - no hinges and the dome is cracked in placs. Still jolly useful for pirate treasure or to keep adults' dressing up clothes etc.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Stacy
Officer
Australia Australia

Played the crooked cross and got the boat.

« Reply #1966 on: March 01, 2013, 02:59:09 am »

I found these today at my local thrift store, just had to have them all. Best $10 I've spent in a long time.

The large bottle has a nice brass tap on it, and the brass shot glasses have a beautiful pattern.
I though I might like to make an Absinthe label for the bottle and fill it with an appropriately coloured liquid.
I grabbed the green bottles because it might make a nice overall display on my kitchen bar.

Sulla
Snr. Officer

Full of steam, young in punk.

« Reply #1967 on: March 01, 2013, 03:35:55 am »

Not much but I was just given my Grandfather's glasses this week...

-Andy
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

Preacher of Ancient Ways, Captain of S.S. Mjöllnir

jadedhero1331
« Reply #1968 on: March 01, 2013, 04:05:36 am »

I found these today at my local thrift store, just had to have them all. Best $10 I've spent in a long time.

The large bottle has a nice brass tap on it, and the brass shot glasses have a beautiful pattern.
I though I might like to make an Absinthe label for the bottle and fill it with an appropriately coloured liquid.
I grabbed the green bottles because it might make a nice overall display on my kitchen bar.

That bottle with the tap and those shot glasses are awesome!
I am very jealous of your finds.

Keeper of the Watchhouse at the Edge of the World

Come talk brewing with us over at The Brewers' Guild!
Stacy
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #1969 on: March 01, 2013, 04:19:21 am »

I love them, here they are in their new home, I placed them in front of the mirror so now I have twice as many.

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #1970 on: March 01, 2013, 07:06:35 am »

Grin

If you are going to use the brass shot glasses, though, ensure that they are either properly tinned, or heavily lacquered.  Nasty things happen when brass - especially older or 'third-world' brass - comes in contact with solvents such as water or alcohol.

Great finds, though!

Cheers!

Chas.
Stacy
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #1971 on: March 01, 2013, 08:17:55 am »

Oooh, thanks for that, I probably won't use them, I'll just keep them for show.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #1972 on: March 01, 2013, 03:54:15 pm »

Not much? Not much! That sir is a family heirloom. A thing to be treasured! To own a thing with such history (and to know it's history, so many things have lost the stories of which they were a part and are just oddments to be bought and sold or discarded with little thought)  is to be a true custodian of the past.
Imagine the things that were seen through those very lenses. What books were read, what feats accomplished, what changes observed.

That, is a wonderful treasure.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:00:16 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #1973 on: March 02, 2013, 10:47:58 am »

Not much? Not much! That sir is a family heirloom. A thing to be treasured! To own a thing with such history (and to know it's history, so many things have lost the stories of which they were a part and are just oddments to be bought and sold or discarded with little thought)  is to be a true custodian of the past.
Imagine the things that were seen through those very lenses. What books were read, what feats accomplished, what changes observed.

That, is a wonderful treasure.

Agreed!
Sulla
Snr. Officer

Full of steam, young in punk.

« Reply #1974 on: March 03, 2013, 06:42:47 pm »

My humblest apologies.  Obviously the sentimental value is unquantifiable, I simply meant I had nothing more to show than this single acquisition.

I don't have to imagine everything that might have been seen through those lenses.   Smiley  Some time ago, while cleaning out my parents attic for them, I came across this little gem.  It was my grandfathers notebook.  Starting in his days in the US Navy at the end of WWII he filled it nearly cover to cover with songs.  Songs that he found inspirational and had wanted to keep the lyrics, songs he loved, but mostly new songs that he wrote.  I also have a crate of single LP's he created to sell them; some of them even sung in his own voice.  They are all mostly gospel or old school country.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: