The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 25, 2020, 12:39:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 294183 times)
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« Reply #1900 on: November 09, 2012, 04:09:45 am »

Today I purchased an original Imperial German flag and also a 1st Class 1914 Iron Cross for what I believe was a bargain price. I guess this is my Prussian/ Imperial German obsession showing again. Not sure what I'll do with the flag but I already have the Iron Cross in a display box in my room. I wish I could find out who originally earned it, but I highly doubt I will ever know.
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #1901 on: November 09, 2012, 01:11:28 pm »

Not exactly a flea market find, more of a 'sitting in a factory' find - and I don't own it...

... yet.

[Snip!]

This machine is in one corner sitting idle as it does now meet current occupational health and safety requirements to be used in a commercial application.

This machine takes your ordinary everyday wire in a plastic sleeve and knits a cotton casing around the wire in what ever colours you load on the bobbins.

Brilliant!!!

Just what we need for headphone wires, computer wires, microphone or music leads, etc, etc, etc.

And it still works.

What I need to do is slowly but surely convince the owner that since he cannot operate it, I should take it home and use it (where it would be legal as it is used in a domestic or hobby application).

Alternatively, I'm in the ACT and so come under TERRITORY law, not your pesky state laws. I could buy it, and you could deliver it to me in, oh, the next 80 years or so...  Cheesy

(So long as I can get some lamp cord made up, it's a deal!)

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1902 on: November 09, 2012, 01:36:50 pm »

Anyways, I've just got back from my favourite antiques centre's xmas sale <hic!> where the vendors <hic!> invite their favourite customers for an after hours sale - foldy type cash only <hic!> with a lot of bubbly and nibblies.

The haul was:

A nice wooden tray with brass handles for $8, the soldering iron for $5, nice Selfridges green pure wool tie $5, pile of kitchen forks for $10, 1890s French corkscrew for $10, about 30 stereoscope cards for 50 cents each, oval frames are for my Mum, but they were $5 each. The brass weights and the small green box of stamped apothecaries weights (1880s according to the box) were $(way too much)...  Undecided
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1903 on: November 09, 2012, 04:48:59 pm »

Prof Blakehurst,
Aren't the stereoscope cards wonderful?! I inherited a bunch from my mother, and it is fascinating to look at the glimpses of another age. One of my favorites is of a late 19th century furriers showroom. It is almost creepy just how many furs and critters are displayed there...Never mind, it IS creepy!

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1904 on: November 10, 2012, 12:59:44 am »

Dear Lady Toadfligner,
Not quite as creepy as the one in the Gemmary - the complete Edinburgh Stereoscopic Atlas of Anatomy.... 120 cards of 3D dissections for human anatomy classes. The cards are backed onto a sheet of paper with a technical description of what's going on. Being the Gemmary it's squeak-makingly expensive, but I think I shall have to save up for that one. "Present for my beloved" is always a good excuse.  Cheesy

I believe that there are also a few different sets of slides made for war reporting during the Great War. Those are seriously unpleasant, though historically important.  Tongue

I should try to find some more along the lines of "The Favourite of the Harem" which was in the ones I picked up last night. Wheeee! I'm a bit surprised that those large, fairground 'turn the handle' flip card viewers that used to around in the turn of the last century never got combined with the stereocards to make 3D viewers.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1905 on: November 10, 2012, 11:54:12 pm »

Gotta love my brother.  This is what he found today for me.  Thanks George!

Capt James Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1906 on: November 11, 2012, 10:41:34 pm »

Gotta love my brother.  This is what he found today for me.  Thanks George!

Oh gosh, that stuff is perfect for you..............

If at first your idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
-Albert Einstein-

See pictures of my models at:  http://public.fotki.com/shrimpee/
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1907 on: November 12, 2012, 02:32:42 am »

Lots of toys to transform.  Note the snake horn at the bottom of the picture.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1908 on: November 12, 2012, 04:06:25 am »

What's the one leaning against the box? It looks like the love-child of a bicycle horn and a shower head. Huh

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1909 on: November 12, 2012, 04:18:34 am »

What's the one leaning against the box? It looks like the love-child of a bicycle horn and a shower head. Huh

A few of the old horns look like that.  Looks good and seems to have little effect on the sound.  Here is an earlier piece I did with a similar horn.

celephicus
Officer
Australia Australia

Mensura ergo sum (I measure, therefore I am)

« Reply #1910 on: November 18, 2012, 07:48:22 am »

Found! The Holy Grail!

It was cunningly disguised as a flower vase.

So I can have it around the place without fear of attracting Knights of the Round Table.

The problem it, what do I do with it? Turn it into a table lamp?

Dr. Celephicus -- amateur (gentleman) mad scientist
--
"How many L's in disembowelment?"
"What are you doing dear?"
"I'm writing a letter to the Times on treatment of the poor."
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #1911 on: November 19, 2012, 02:26:11 am »

Two formal vests (waistcoats in civilized nations), although they're not very steamy. Yet. Two sports jackets that I bought for the buttons (which look very nice on my duster). A green beret (presumably worn by a Green Beret).

Also bought a gorgeously period green and black brocade waistcoat, embroidered with vines, just not at a thrift store.

Am hoping to buy at a local yard sale a few doorknobs and a pool cue to make a cane, and a pair of old loppers to make prop knives.

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1912 on: November 21, 2012, 11:51:10 am »

A few of the old horns look like that.  Looks good and seems to have little effect on the sound.  Here is an earlier piece I did with a similar horn.

Inspiring!

Now I know what to do with the old horn I have.

(PLEASE!!! - no pun intended).

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Captain Elson
Gunner

« Reply #1913 on: November 30, 2012, 12:43:43 am »

Well, popped by the local goodwill and came out of there with: A small wooden box with celtic trefoil design, a small wooden box that will be used as the resonator for my telegraph once I finish repairing the coils, a brand new in box/plasticwrap hookah made with brass fittings, an old Oxyacetylene torch, a box of nerf guns/squirt guns/parts for $5, and some brass knobs and gears from an old clock. Between all of those, I should be able to put together a fairly respectable workshop/study of a witty, aristocratic steampunk. Total haul: $25 USD.

PS: I also spent $15 on a 55 gallon aquarium and two high end filters that I will be upgrading my reef tank into but that is separate from the other, more steamy finds
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1914 on: November 30, 2012, 01:26:51 am »

Good days hunting, then!
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

Preacher of Ancient Ways, Captain of S.S. Mjöllnir

jadedhero1331
« Reply #1915 on: November 30, 2012, 03:10:41 am »

Well, popped by the local goodwill and came out of there with: A small wooden box with celtic trefoil design, a small wooden box that will be used as the resonator for my telegraph once I finish repairing the coils, a brand new in box/plasticwrap hookah made with brass fittings, an old Oxyacetylene torch, a box of nerf guns/squirt guns/parts for $5, and some brass knobs and gears from an old clock. Between all of those, I should be able to put together a fairly respectable workshop/study of a witty, aristocratic steampunk. Total haul: $25 USD.

PS: I also spent $15 on a 55 gallon aquarium and two high end filters that I will be upgrading my reef tank into but that is separate from the other, more steamy finds

Sounds like a good haul!
Any chance we could get a pic of the hookah?

Keeper of the Watchhouse at the Edge of the World

Come talk brewing with us over at The Brewers' Guild!
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #1916 on: December 16, 2012, 03:21:53 pm »

It's been months since I picked up anything worth reporting, but this morning at Stoneleigh Park I spent a whole £7.50 on a War Department 1943 T.G.Co.  MKIII prismatic compass.  Grin

Almost all of the black paint has been polished away, but it looks gorgeous in naked brass. Still has most of its oil (only a small air bubble is present) and the rubber anti-slip ring on its base; the bezel rotation is firm and positive, the thumb-ring focussing works smoothly and the mother-of-pearl compass card is pristine.

I love this compass.

PS I also splashed out £2 on a rather fetching pure silk cravat...

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:54:13 pm by Captain Shipton Bellinger » Logged

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1917 on: December 22, 2012, 09:00:23 pm »

Popped into the local charity shop today, picked up around 40 78RPM records of various ages for a mere £5  Grin. Sadly the local "collector" (he sells them, he's a dealer and has some kind of "agreement" with all the charity shops for records and books...) has been in an cherry picked anything interesting before I got there. Angry   Also a load people where buying some for the old paper covers which featured old adverts. No doubt there will be a few "rare / vintage / steampunk / goth / retro/ whatever tag word" items being listed on fleabay at silly prices, as I type this... Roll Eyes

I also got about a dozen broken discs too (free), several are just cracked, so possibly still playable, but the rest have big chunks missing or are completely broken in two. the breaks are all fresh, so the damage has just happened - probably by the greedy lot trying to find the best looking disks and covers for their money. I will find something fun to use these for.  Smiley

Next step: finish the gramophone project!  Cool

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1918 on: December 22, 2012, 09:30:01 pm »

In Ealing there is a charity shop exclusively for books and a few doors down one for Records (only appear to be 45s LPs and EPs) and all other recorded media. found a couple of favourites in both although Ealing isn't my main stamping ground. 
(the lady with the unusual) Walking Stick
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1919 on: December 29, 2012, 04:25:05 pm »

Found a muffin tin for my fiance yesterday...yep...for whatever reason I have not had much luck locally.  My friend managed to walk away with record for his Victrola which is a telling of the Christmas Carol as well as a bag of old photos.  (1870's-1920's)  I am planning on making a hop down to the thrift store to find some articles of clothing to sacrifice for the good of kepis and forage caps.  There is a pair of trousers in a nice gray wool that I would purchase for reenacting (I'd convert them from being zippered) but they would require more work than would be worth it....cut up....KEPIS!!!!! Grin

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Gregor
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1920 on: December 31, 2012, 09:49:57 pm »

I also got about a dozen broken discs too (free), several are just cracked, so possibly still playable, but the rest have big chunks missing or are completely broken in two. the breaks are all fresh, so the damage has just happened - probably by the greedy lot trying to find the best looking disks and covers for their money. I will find something fun to use these for.  Smiley

Next step: finish the gramophone project!  Cool

SS

Hi! I have a few hundred of these that I am going through (at a snails pace). The discs that are cracked or chipped around the edges, or the ones that are badly scratched become note-pad books  ( look this one up online, though I should post a how-to on this some day) Notebooks are easier to make out of the vinyl 33's, but the old 78's make better looking ones. Be careful, some of these shatter when working them. Maybe a clock with edging around the outside to cover wounds (ha ha  waltz around the clock). I want to make drink coasters out of the really bad ones with still good labels, but need a better and safe way of cutting these down (a hole saw for a drill SOUNDS like a good idea, but, no). If any are Bakelite or other strange clay plastic mix, maybe jewelry people can use them?

As always, wear them goggles when doing ANY cutting, filing, drilling with these things. Uh, ya, OVER the eyes  Wink

Cheers - g

Could somebody Pleeease explain to my mother that it is steam PUNK not steam PIMP!?!
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #1921 on: January 01, 2013, 04:18:27 am »

I don't have my camera handy right now, so I will rip off utilize others' photos in place of my own.

Not exactly 'flea market' prices, but...

From 1861 (reproduction, actually)

With

From 1908,

(She's French, you know)

From 1908 also,

And from 1905 (edit - make that 1899 or so), almost as an afterthought:

Though mine seems to have been refinished and somebody put some really ugly (though comfortable) modern ergonomic grips on it.  It is in .32 WCF, though, so that's a bonus.

So tomorrow has been designated as get-out-the-cleaning-gear day.

Cheers!

Chas.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:58:33 pm by Captain Lyerly » Logged

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1922 on: January 01, 2013, 05:06:19 am »

O_O How much did you pay for that Luger ? O_O Beautiful piece.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #1923 on: January 01, 2013, 05:17:20 am »

$125.00 US.

But!  It is a later production of the 1908, and it is just a .22 instead of the 7.63 that I really want to find some day.  It was the most expensive of the four.

Cheers!

Chas.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1924 on: January 02, 2013, 01:22:06 pm »

Whoa whoa....$125....and it was the most expensive....HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR THE S&W!?   Roll Eyes  Can't find a single full sized one in my area for less than $600. 
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: