The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 15, 2020, 01:02:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 292289 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1875 on: September 23, 2012, 02:14:11 pm »

Quick trip to a local flea market netted a nice bowler hat for $2. A tank periscope for $10.  A plasma disk for $5.

Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #1876 on: September 25, 2012, 01:41:00 pm »

I got two awesome tintypes from Lynnway Market in Massachusetts this past weekend. $5 each. A little pricey, but totally worth it. Pictures to follow when my scanner gets hooked up again.

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
Capt James Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1877 on: September 25, 2012, 04:54:50 pm »

I picked this beauty up off craigslist for a paltry 25$.

Oh wow !!    Great find !!!

If at first your idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
-Albert Einstein-

See pictures of my models at:  http://public.fotki.com/shrimpee/
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1878 on: September 28, 2012, 03:58:20 am »

Netted some good finds at the charity shop today:

Grabbed a bargain GPO Type 706 telephone (old style plastic, dial, bells type) in two tone grey - an early one too, early 60's.  £5  Grin

A couple of pewter mugs (no great age) - £2, an off-cut of wool cloth (checked pattern) very old - 50p, wooden "Grants whiskey" barrel (I now have a matching pair!) - £5, a mini fridge (four litre volume - not steampunk, but I needed one anyway...) - £3, and an "army green" ladies military style jacket with black epaulets - £3 (looks new). Plus some other random bits and bobs...  Grin

The ladies jacket is really quite steampunky, a few tweaks and it would make a good airship pirate uniform. I plan to make display out of it, give it some history etc. Also probably lend it to my female friend for SP events. Smiley  As I'm a big bulky bloke, I wouldn't have bothered with a size 12 ladies jacket, but I couldn't turn it down for that price - I could easily harvest it for parts anyway.  Besides,it was part of a deal I worked out for the whole bunch of stuff...  Smiley

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
CrashInBlack
Gunner

« Reply #1879 on: September 28, 2012, 04:27:36 am »

Picked up from the classifieds for only $25 (the gentleman I spoke with was a bit miffed his wife had advertised it at that price). Not particularly steampunky itself, but I guarantee it will be used to create that type of thing.

Goes nicely with my other (much older) one...

Please disregard the mess, I'm moving soon.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1880 on: September 28, 2012, 10:11:56 pm »

Deleted to bing in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:25:06 pm by Mercury Wells » Logged

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #1881 on: September 28, 2012, 11:10:36 pm »

rather wish there were decent flea markets around here for me to go look for stuff
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #1882 on: October 01, 2012, 01:34:44 am »

Flea is where you find it.  What part of the States are you in?

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1883 on: October 01, 2012, 01:38:34 am »

It would be nice to have a good listing of flea markets.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1884 on: October 01, 2012, 12:52:43 pm »

It would be nice to have a good listing of flea markets.

Here's a start:

In New York - Brooklyn on a Saturday and Williamsburg or Chelsea on a Sunday (note the Empire State Building in the distance).

In Melbourne - Camberwell or Wantirna or Coburg on a Sunday (mind you - they are a strange lot).

In Madrid on a Saturday.

In Paris slightly south of the city on a Saturday (don't bother going to the 'Paris Flea' - way too expensive).

In Strasberg on a Saturday (sorry - no photo).

And yes I am place dropping and yes I have picked up parts for steampunk devices at every one of these markets...

... except the Paris Flea, where my good lady wife could hold in one gloved hand what the seller considered to be 50 Euro worth of old brass bits.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:09:24 pm by maduncle » Logged

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #1885 on: October 03, 2012, 11:04:45 am »

Good grief, that last shot. Talk about finding a treasure cache!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:42:19 am by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #1886 on: October 03, 2012, 02:48:45 pm »

Ooh, that frame! I love me some round gilt frames!
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1887 on: October 03, 2012, 03:39:53 pm »

There's a place here in Chicago thats got a table or area or two like that mess of greatness,but they also want an arm and a leg-even for broken stuff! Haven't bought a thing because it's not right-nobody mention 'they have to make $$$'- you should see the prices on all of the other stuff Shocked.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Kathy_Davidson
Officer

« Reply #1888 on: October 05, 2012, 06:26:12 pm »

There is a stall holder on Stratford-on-avon market with a fair collection of brass bits and he only has seemingly outrageous prices on the genuinely antique pieces. The rest is nice an cheap. I got a hand full of disks, broken draw handles and chain for £4.

There is no such thing as useless knowledge, just dull ways to obtain it.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1889 on: October 06, 2012, 12:30:25 am »

I'll be right over! Wink
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #1890 on: October 07, 2012, 12:55:00 am »

Not exactly a flea market..but The Lanes in Brighton..loads of retro clothes shops. Gor myself a lovely soft wool grey jacket (label says 'Saville Row')..really good fit..£12.50. Also a dark blue 'chalk stripe' two piece suit. Both Rockula and The Countess said it looked like it was tailor made for me..and if you've ever seen the size/shape of me you'll know how rare that must be!It was £75 but it is a bloody cracking suit. It's not so much Steampunk as 'Chap'.
The Countess also bought me a cracking Straw Boater but I have to wait til Christmas  before I can get my head back into it!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #1891 on: October 15, 2012, 06:58:37 am »

Not exactly a flea market..but The Lanes in Brighton..loads of retro clothes shops. Gor myself a lovely soft wool grey jacket (label says 'Saville Row')..really good fit..£12.50. Also a dark blue 'chalk stripe' two piece suit. Both Rockula and The Countess said it looked like it was tailor made for me..and if you've ever seen the size/shape of me you'll know how rare that must be!It was £75 but it is a bloody cracking suit. It's not so much Steampunk as 'Chap'.
The Countess also bought me a cracking Straw Boater but I have to wait til Christmas  before I can get my head back into it!

Steam chap or deisel chap? Smiley

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #1892 on: October 26, 2012, 12:22:50 pm »

I found this at a yard sale last weekend, price one dollar. It's a Farleigh Dickinson syringe from the 1920's

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #1893 on: October 31, 2012, 11:32:21 am »

Not exactly a flea market find, but I thought it would fit in here. An artist friend sent me a half dozen old brass gas meter gauges for my birthday. Gorgeous things. And they all work perfectly. No idea what to do with them yet. I took the frontpiece off one, but they're much too lovely to tear apart for the gears.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:36:25 am by Herbert West » Logged
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1894 on: October 31, 2012, 12:46:36 pm »

Not exactly a flea market find, but I thought it would fit in here. An artist friend sent me a half dozen old brass gas meter gauges for my birthday. Gorgeous things. And they all work perfectly. No idea what to do with them yet. I took the frontpiece off one, but they're much too lovely to tear apart for the gears.

We all need more friends like that. Can't wait to see what you create.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #1895 on: November 05, 2012, 01:52:28 pm »

The countess and I visited Ford car boot sale on Saturday (that's a car boot sale at  the old Ford Aerodrome in Sussex..not a car boot sale exclusively for Ford cars...) and picked this up for £2.

137 pages of brilliantly crazy inventions.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1896 on: November 06, 2012, 06:59:21 am »

The countess and I visited Ford car boot sale on Saturday (that's a car boot sale at  the old Ford Aerodrome in Sussex..not a car boot sale exclusively for Ford cars...) and picked this up for £2.

137 pages of brilliantly crazy inventions.

Now that looks like pages and pages of fun.

Not exactly a flea market find, more of a 'sitting in a factory' find - and I don't own it...

... yet.

Yesterday I rode out east to visit a factory where a small team makes replica wiring harnesses for old cars and motorcycles. I needed some wire in assorted colours for my motorcycle restoration project.

This machine is in one corner sitting idle as it does now meet current occupational health and safety requirements to be used in a commercial application.

This machine takes your ordinary everyday wire in a plastic sleeve and knits a cotton casing around the wire in what ever colours you load on the bobbins.

Brilliant!!!

Just what we need for headphone wires, computer wires, microphone or music leads, etc, etc, etc.

And it still works.

What I need to do is slowly but surely convince the owner that since he cannot operate it, I should take it home and use it (where it would be legal as it is used in a domestic or hobby application).

Wish me luck!

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1897 on: November 06, 2012, 08:44:11 am »

It is taking up space he could surely use for something else… Wink

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Moriarty
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1898 on: November 06, 2012, 10:29:40 am »

The very best of luck prying that away from its currant own Maduncle. Fabric covered cables look sooo impressive. Good luck.
Dave_G
Gunner

« Reply #1899 on: November 08, 2012, 06:40:36 pm »

The machine is a Braider... I used to maintain a shed full of them when I worked for SG Cables in the 80's. I have a cast "BOLTON" nameplate from a Wardwell braider.
The noise from 60 odd machines running flat out was deafening.... sadly several opperators were also affected with asbestos fibres from the fireproof thread.

"Watcher of the skies.... watcher of all"
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: