The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 15, 2020, 12:56:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 292288 times)
Kathy_Davidson
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1825 on: July 25, 2012, 07:41:52 am »

He insisted on being in the picture, I thought it best to leave him for 2 reasons 1) it better showed the size of my new precious and 2) he shows his displeasure with his teeth.  Grin

There is no such thing as useless knowledge, just dull ways to obtain it.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1826 on: July 25, 2012, 08:11:36 am »

I got my dog & three cats for free! Not all at the same time, though!
Kathy_Davidson
Officer

« Reply #1827 on: July 25, 2012, 04:00:49 pm »

an for the record, our kitty was free and the cupbord was £10 Tongue
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #1828 on: July 30, 2012, 01:34:26 pm »

I found this A&T Avery Victorian era balance scale at a church sale this weekend. It was fitted out as a lamp, but I was easily able to pull out the tacky lamp parts and turn it back into a scale. The hard part was that one of the balance connectors was missing and I had to carefully shape a new one out of walnut. You can see it in the picture....I was tempted to paint it brass but like the look of the wood. Oh, it cost $5.

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1829 on: July 30, 2012, 03:05:22 pm »

Nice!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #1830 on: July 30, 2012, 10:08:22 pm »

The Countess and I were at Ford market Car Boot Sale this weekend. It's a massive car booty held on an old airfield and there's always great stuff there. I picked up a really nice cane (£15)..actually long enough for my 6ft 4ins frame and with a huge,heavy, silver coloured cane head. Like an ornate door knob! I've had to leave it at the Countess' (who will bring it up the next time she comes up as I had a lot of luggage to bring back as it was and was afraid I'd leave it on the train). I'll post a pic when I have it again. But I also picked up this brilliant pair of goggles. They are the ones with the hinge in the lenses set in a soft leather surround...a bargain at £10.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #1831 on: July 30, 2012, 10:20:29 pm »

Got a very very large coat in buff slub silk, beautifully made and with standup collar and big open pleat at the back, from the Britannia Panopticon's charity shop, on Saturday. It was Radames costume from a Scottish Opera production of Aida. The Panopticon sells a lot of ex opera costumes which are always beautifully finishd and in lovely fabrics.

The singer must have been well over 6ft tall so I have had to cut about a foot off the hem and will also have to take the cuffs up. I will wear it duster-style, for edwardian outfits.

Oh it cost £30 which is a lot for a coat but the fabric is so lovely, hardly creasable, warm and soft.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #1832 on: July 31, 2012, 03:53:09 am »

Allow me to remind those BG Folks in the Eastern part of the States that the "World's Longest Flea Market", the Route 127 marathon do, will be running from the second through the fifth of August - that is, this coming Thursday through Sunday.  It stretches from Gadsden Alabama to Addison, Michigan now.  Begun in and around Jamestown, Tennessee (still the HQ for the operation), it has been running now for years; HGTV will be filming for a special again this year.

Should be fun!

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Kathy_Davidson
Officer

« Reply #1833 on: July 31, 2012, 01:36:24 pm »

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why do I have no holiday left!!!!!!!!!!!
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #1834 on: July 31, 2012, 04:10:09 pm »

Allow me to remind those BG Folks in the Eastern part of the States that the "World's Longest Flea Market", the Route 127 marathon do, will be running from the second through the fifth of August - that is, this coming Thursday through Sunday.  It stretches from Gadsden Alabama to Addison, Michigan now.  Begun in and around Jamestown, Tennessee (still the HQ for the operation), it has been running now for years; HGTV will be filming for a special again this year.

Should be fun!

Cheers!

Chas.

Where else will this be? This sounds kinda amazing, and I may not even mind to drive a little bit to get to such a market. Is there a website for the info?

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #1835 on: August 02, 2012, 02:51:58 am »

http://www.127sale.com/

Terribly sorry, I meant to include that!  It has all the directions you will need.

I have to hit the bank (withdrawal, not at gunpoint!) in the morning before we hit the road.  I am lucky enough to be fairly close to part of it.

Cheers!

Chas.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1836 on: August 02, 2012, 07:28:24 am »

Well it is a find and not a purchase:  I wish I didn't work till close at the antique store....I am not allowed to shop while I am on shift and there is a blood-letting set I am very interested in purchasing.  (hopefully pictures and a successful update within the week) 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #1837 on: August 02, 2012, 03:22:46 pm »

Wouldn't one find such a thing at a fleammarket?

Grin

Thanks... I'll get my coat.

Cheers!

Chas.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #1838 on: August 02, 2012, 04:18:40 pm »

Not a flea market find, but a regular store find. In the Netherlands, the "kruitvat" has a vintage looking key chain with about 6 big lock keys. Keys and chain have a rusty look.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #1839 on: August 03, 2012, 02:41:55 am »

Okay, so nobody got the "fleam" market pun about a bloodletting kit... sigh.

Today, at the 127 yard sale, I got an older draw knife in very good shape; I picked up some military surplus ammunition for the Model 1911; found an all-leather vintage shoulder holster that fits my 1895 Nagant like it was made for it;  I got a massive dual-throw switch, an evil looking thing that could have come from Victor Frankenstein's lab:

A brass framed revolver:

And a vintage dagger:

I hope to get better pictures up with better light and camera soon.

The dagger, though with some very light surface rust, is by Samuel Robinson, Sheffield.  Engraved on the blade is "Never Draw Me Without Reason nor Sheathe Me Without Honour"... it is missing the pommel cap, and the hilt is either bone or ivory.  I will attempt to determine which it is.

Cheers!

Chas.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:31:31 pm by Captain Lyerly » Logged
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #1840 on: August 03, 2012, 03:29:46 am »

I think there was just a collective sigh and an agreement to ignore the pun as a community. At least, that's what I did when I read it (a facepalm may have happened as well).
Captain Elson
Gunner

« Reply #1841 on: August 03, 2012, 04:16:47 am »

I just thought I'd mention that my mother is starting a refurbished/ painted furniture business, and I will be going along to help look for deals, and living here in the Piedmont of North Carolina, railroading and industrial equipment can be found cheaply. Ive already picked up a strange brass device perfect for a rifle/ flame gun, and have the parts for my gauntlets mostly assembled. Looks like I will have plenty of chances to find some good steamy bits.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1842 on: August 06, 2012, 12:16:53 pm »

I found a Mad Men vintage business case with a portable writing desk inside. I decided to print some old travel stickers and make it into more of an Indiana Jones case, and here is the result. It's already on Etsy. Note the Titanic and Hindenburg stickers....this case has obviously seen some action.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:24:21 pm by WillRockwell » Logged
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1843 on: August 06, 2012, 12:22:50 pm »

And a vintage dagger:

I hope to get better pictures up with better light and camera soon.

The dagger, though with some very light surface rust, is by Samuel Robinson, Sheffield.  Engraved on the blade is "Never Draw Me Without Reason nor Sheathe Me Without Honour"... it is missing the pommel cap, and the hilt is either bone or ivory.  I will attempt to determine which it is.

Cheers!

Chas.

Samuel Robinson was active around 1840, you have a valuable find in that dagger

Captain Elson
Gunner

« Reply #1844 on: August 06, 2012, 08:27:09 pm »

Well, Ive had a good haul from the past few days, hitting several thrift stores, one actually in an old factory building from 1915, which looked like a mad science lab in its own right. I also discovered an antique mall dealing in lots of old and hard to find/ rare items that I think will be a definite treasure trove. And now, on to the pictures!

A group shot of everything :

A candle holder that I thought could be repurposed:

The find of the month, an old telegraph key which will be mounted onto my desk, which has a base where a telegraph was once mounted way back when.....

And this, apparently some sort of old television antenna, once I mount it into a wooden case and set the two inner rings to a motor to constantly spin, I believe it will look very nice once mounted onto my TARDIS console-inspired workbench currently in progress.

Captain Elson
Gunner

« Reply #1845 on: August 06, 2012, 08:32:24 pm »

*Continued*

A closeup on the brass telescopic antennas:

An incense burner, which if not used as a burner could make for a great rifle/ raygun muzzle or barrel.

A nice brass hourglass:

And this really nice copper lamp I bought from a shop run out of a 1915- era factory..... looks like it would fit right in in that setting!

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #1846 on: August 06, 2012, 09:51:20 pm »

Another Olympic Free weekend with The Countess in rural Sussex and another successful trip to Ford Car Boot Sale:

Total outlay:£24
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« Reply #1847 on: August 07, 2012, 03:50:29 am »

This is perhaps not as interesting as some other people's finds, but I found a very old looking glass bottle with a label that read "Celery Cola". That doesn't sound very appetizing but it was interesting enough that I bought it just for laughs.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 03:54:22 am by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz » Logged
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1848 on: August 07, 2012, 05:20:14 am »

Great deal specifically on the gaiters.  They normally go for about $15-$30 depending on dates and condition. 

Update on my blood letting quest....found more....problem is....PRICE!!!!  AHHHHH!!!  $75-$95, and they are Civil War era so it is making me really fight the urge to remove the wallet. I know I can find them cheaper from somebody at a flea market who does not know what they are.  Kinda like the Civil War era dentistry pliers I found at an antique shop for $5, and didn't realize what they were until I started working at the museum.  So 3 sets of blood letting instruments in one shop, the odds have to be pretty good of hitting the flea markets and striking a find. 
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1849 on: August 08, 2012, 02:46:37 am »

Mr Oakes,
Thinking of coming up to Gettysburg area this weekend.  Anygood flea markets there?

Thanks!

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: