The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 23, 2019, 10:01:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 274481 times)
Captain Thaddeus Crunch
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Navigating the Unruly Seas of Artistic Effort

zombimanservant
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2009, 05:59:29 am »

Upon yesterday's dawn my esteemed colleague, Proff. Tremens, and myself set out to plumb the depths of the Rose Bowl Flea Market.  We arrived bright and early, tin in our pockets and a gleam in our eyes.

Allow me to share what I have found, for it is quite exciting:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
2 Cane heads. While rather plebeian in design they were had for a mere half dollar.  One has a corked fitting, as is suitable for a flask cane.
Also from the same table and for the same price is that fabulous contraption of a tank.  At the junction of the tank to its pipe is stamped "D.R.G.M.  D.R.P.  Ausl. Patente"   The valve turns.    I do believe I've found the base for my first man portable STEAM CANNON!  Do look for it in the future. 

However, the true cream of the crop was had after sifting through a pile of odd bits at another vendor.  Behold!
Is it not fabulous?  Unfortunately is is not intact.  The stem is lacking a narrow piece to connect with the bowl and the point of connection is cracked slightly.  The stem seems to be horn of some sort, it's bit has a fair amount of tooth chatter upon it.  I plan to have it restored as well as can be done to working condition and imbibe a vaporous concoction from it suitable for a madm...er, gentleman of my caliber.

While I have your attention, I'll quickly display some of the items that have found their way into my possession after several visits to the Apex Yard of Sun Valley and the Northrop Grumman Tech Fair.
Ah Hah!  I have one as well my dear Proff. Tremens!  We shall settle our differences as tradition dictates! Wrenches at dawn!
Rest assured that most of these items are finding new homes in my workshop.

Now I must bid you a fond farewell.

Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2009, 09:37:47 am »

Some images of a valve I picked up at a local market (Tynemouth Station) one Sunday a few years ago.
(Beware - large images!)

Best wishes,
Charis.

Nice find there

I do miss Tynemouth Station on a weekend - followed by a bag of chips and a swift one in the Turks Head
Lady Charis
Deck Hand

« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2009, 06:02:02 pm »

Nice find there

I do miss Tynemouth Station on a weekend - followed by a bag of chips and a swift one in the Turks Head

Thank you. 

The nice chippy is still there, although sadly the chips aren't vegetarian friendly Sad  and I've never really been keen on the Turks Head Sad

My preferred follow on from the Market was a trip to the beach in King Edward's Bay or the Priory Smiley

Best wishes,
Charis.

And everything changes. 
And nothing is truly lost.
Dinjiveillian
Gunner

Damn the air kraken, full steam ahead!

« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2009, 06:57:52 pm »

Beautiful example of an old vacuum tube there Lady Charis.  I have used similar devices in older laser based bar code readers.  They were used as amplifiers to boost incoming reflected laser light levels to a decodable signal.  I think the term was "photo multiplier tube" or PMT for short.  Hang on to that, because not long from now it will be a museum piece (if not already)  Grin.

Back to the subject, I found an old Underwood style typewriter at the local thrift store and am trying my best not to talk myself into buying it.  It would look good next to my grandmother's old sewing machine however  Wink.

Guns don't kill people, maneuvers do... - Eddie Izzard
C12H22O11+HCl=C6H12O6+ Cheesy
Lady Charis
Deck Hand

« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2009, 07:27:11 pm »

Beautiful example of an old vacuum tube there Lady Charis.  I have used similar devices in older laser based bar code readers.  They were used as amplifiers to boost incoming reflected laser light levels to a decodable signal.  I think the term was "photo multiplier tube" or PMT for short.  Hang on to that, because not long from now it will be a museum piece (if not already)  Grin.

Thank you.  I have every intention of keeping it for as long as...

I, too, have used photomultiplier tubes - they are great fun!  Sadly, those days are far behind me, and now the light sources of my current employ are LEDs.

Back to the subject, I found an old Underwood style typewriter at the local thrift store and am trying my best not to talk myself into buying it.  It would look good next to my grandmother's old sewing machine however  Wink.

Smiley  You know you want to.... Wink

Best wishes,
Charis.
koneko
Deck Hand

« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2009, 08:25:27 pm »

I'm rather proud of this find. For only $3!
20mm ammunition case/box/can

Not sure what I'm going to do with it, I'm open for suggestions. OH! and um.. there's a layer of a black oily substance on the inside of it.. any idea how it can be cleaned?
stevedem
Gunner

« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2009, 08:49:50 pm »

Not sure what I'm going to do with it, I'm open for suggestions. OH! and um.. there's a layer of a black oily substance on the inside of it.. any idea how it can be cleaned?
Automotive brake cleaner spray should make quick work of the oily gunk. I'm not sure what it would do to the paint though.
Dinjiveillian
Gunner

Damn the air kraken, full steam ahead!

« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2009, 10:26:26 pm »

They make really good tool boxes as you can stack 3 or so trays (depending on how deep each tray is) inside one.  You could even find parts boxes pre-made to fit one.

As for cleaning it, just a roll of paper towels and a lot of scrubbing it dry.  This will not damage the finish and will leave a more authentic look to it.

Have fun!
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

The best kind of Fusion... is confusion!

« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2009, 03:44:52 pm »

not exactly flea market.. although I'm sure there were flea's there... on the side of the road...

yes its my favorite time of the year again.. HARD RUBBISH... or the "UNBURNO" as my family calls it

and these are the treats i have found:
and a couple of months back
now before i get hate mail let me inform you that the guts of the typewriter are not that of the lower picture but that of a much newer much uglier, distant cousin!

Proper Smashing!
TommyEnterprises
Gunner
Canada Canada

Artist, Inventor, Evil Capitalist Overlord

« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2009, 04:56:36 pm »

You are a very luck man, Captain Crunch (there is a phrase you don`t type very often!) I can already imagine the possibilities of those bits!

Join the Fight Against Justice and Equality; Join TOMMY ENTERPRISES Today!
K. D. R. Tempus
Snr. Officer

What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2009, 09:20:18 pm »

Wheee! I love trash day. Someone threw out a perfectly good floor lamp; one of those stainless steel things with five lights on bendable arms. It was snapped off at the base, so thinking it would make a good table lamp, I unscrewed it and took the business end and as much cord as I could. Then I got to thinking -- one arm for a light, one for a fan, a couple for grabber/holder thingies, and another for a magnifier! Much more interesting than a silly table lamp.

Life is good.

'Arthur, you have no historical perspective. Science in those days worked in broad strokes. They got right to the point. Nowadays, it's all just molecule, molecule, molecule. Nothing ever happens big.' ~The Tick
roytheodd
Gunner

« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2009, 10:50:10 pm »

Went to the swap meet at Glendale Community College today, found the following treasures:

1) six brass curly-ques
 • actual use: for ornate electric lamps, to conceal wiring
 • new use: feet for a decorative box
 • overview picture:
• detailed picture:

2) five ceramic knobs
  • actual use: ceramic knobs for drawers or cabinets
  • new use: ceramic knobs for devices
  • overview picture:

3) working analog clock with pendulum
  • actual use: clock
  • new use: box will be a backpack, clock will be stripped for gears or otherwise repurposed
  • overview picture:

4) antique brass fire extinguisher and wall holder (holder isn't pictured)
  • actual use: fire extinguisher
  • new use: either a display piece fire extinguisher, or a gas tank to supply a boiler
  • overview picture:
  • overview picture (showing label):
  • label:
  • label detail:
Mrs Van Horne
Officer

Lady Rat Fancier

« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2009, 05:18:16 pm »

a few finds at the Malvern Flea Market a couple weeks back.........

Gramophone
It does work, although a little wonky on top! makes the dear lady singing on the 78 sound a little warbly! so will need to straighten that out at some point, also planning to add a little MP3 attachment internally at some stage...

Various Gauges

Pewter Lamp Base (1935 lamp inscribed to a Dr F Wells from a Bible Society)

Also a nicely hoarde of doilies and small crochet edged table coverings.

My dear lady companion managed to purchase some magnificent bloomers on the day Grin
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 05:20:33 pm by Mrs Van Horne » Logged

20th & 21st October 2012
Steampunk Weekend at the Commandery (Worcester, UK)
on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/388026347890155/
web: http://steampunkcommandery.moonfruit.com/

Steampunk and Retro Jewellery & Accessories
~ http://ixykix.etsy.com/ ~
Member of Etsy Steam Team - Search for steamteam on etsy!
~ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ~
Ferryn
Deck Hand

« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2009, 10:09:41 pm »

I am very VERY jealous of all your finds.

Alas, I have neither the funds nor the wondrous flea markets from which to purchase such fantastic items from!
Professor Damien Tremens
Officer

« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2009, 04:55:13 am »

Newest batch of things from the most recent Canton First Monday...

Various brass garden hose nozzles

Clock windup key

Rusted out shotgun receiver

Jet 1 Ton Electric Hoist machinery label

1950 Saturday Evening Post ad for Treasure Island

Old catalog pages (Mid 1880s)

1883 pulp novel story book (With a clank!)

And here's a link to my Flickr with all of the photos of stuff I spotted at Canton. There's a bunch of
new items in there from this past trip of the stuff I liked but didn't buy...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8829589@N06/sets/72157616362091464/

Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2009, 04:02:07 pm »

1883 pulp novel story book (With a clank!)

You win!

I got all excited when I saw "Canton" until I realized that you meant Texas and not Ohio.  Sad

DB

« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 04:06:15 pm by Dusza Beben » Logged

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
silastic armor fiend
Snr. Officer

mercenary, privateer and part-time tinkerer

« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2009, 09:54:43 pm »

i got a giant brass syringe looking thing. its actually used to inject meat with spices or some such thing. the needle is 4 inches long and it has the three holes for your fingers. it is absolutely incredible. ill upload pictures later tonite.

in this town of sleepy hollow, smiling like you do
in this town of sleepy hollow, could be me and you
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2009, 02:09:31 am »

i got a giant brass syringe looking thing. its actually used to inject meat with spices or some such thing. the needle is 4 inches long and it has the three holes for your fingers. it is absolutely incredible. ill upload pictures later tonite.

Sounds juicy!  Roll Eyes Wink

DB

Mr. Straenge
Gunner

I need a field, preferably magnetic, to frolic in.

« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2009, 02:40:12 am »

While shopping a bit at random Thrift Stores, I did find quite a few clock parts and other rusty bits of fun. However, I decided that for the moment, only this bit of treasure is worthy of my camera.

Behold for I have found a steam-powered model of the DeathStar

-S
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2009, 02:52:40 am »

While shopping a bit at random Thrift Stores, I did find quite a few clock parts and other rusty bits of fun. However, I decided that for the moment, only this bit of treasure is worthy of my camera.

-S

NO WAY! I remember that thing from my childhood! I had completely forgotten about it.. I remember it had these soldiers and aliens inside. Thanks for bringing back memories Grin

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Mr. Straenge
Gunner

I need a field, preferably magnetic, to frolic in.

« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2009, 02:59:59 am »

-S

NO WAY! I remember that thing from my childhood! I had completely forgotten about it.. I remember it had these soldiers and aliens inside. Thanks for bringing back memories Grin

I think they were called Battle Planets. I seem to remember my brother having something similar. This one, of course, has nothing inside but I am considering putting a small music box inside it that plays the Empires theme song or putting a small engine inside and drilling a hole through the top for a proper steam pipe.

-S
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2009, 03:01:08 am »

-S

Unsurprisingly I had the exact same one Wink I still do somewhere, probably in a box in the attic.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2009, 03:32:04 am »

I found one of these old style glass fuel filters in a Free box at a yard sale. Mine was quite crusty, but I cleaned it up and painted it brass with copper fittings. I already have plans for it, but want something mysterious in the glass.

Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #173 on: June 01, 2009, 03:49:20 am »

Thank you sir. You have described the unit in quite detail. It does indeed have a battery of it's own marked Mallory M504 15 Volts. The eject button is as you described. One thing I find interesting is that next to the battery is a removable capacitor with contacts like the battery. It it marked nichicon 130mfd 22.5wv.

I will see if I can coerce my obstinate Kodak to get some better close ups.
I imagine that the bulbs are unobtainium by now.

john

I'm not sure of the specs offhand, but I think I have some bulbs like that tucked away in my collection of odds and ends

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #174 on: June 01, 2009, 09:47:32 pm »

I found a roughly 10 gallon, clear glass Acid Jar (a carboy), seems it's an industrial container rather than the similar brewer's version. And it cost £5 from a local charity shop.  Awesome.  Grin

It looks like this (but mine is clear and a bit bigger - need to find camera...)

I'm trying to think of a use - a fish tank would be interesting, but the narrow neck and opening would be a slight problem - unless I have very small fish...  Undecided

SS

[Server Prayer]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: