The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 25, 2019, 11:27:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 282607 times)
Kaljaia
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2009, 06:03:25 pm »

Red interior would be lovely, but how does one go about relining something like this? I'm good at taking things to pieces, it's the putting back together that I'm worried about.

Every good "Why" deserves a "Why Not?"
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2009, 06:42:23 pm »

Not knowing what kind of fabric that is, nor how it is fastened down, I wonder if you could try, in effect, dyeing it in place with, say, a darkish red ink?

Of course, this could result in warping if you applied it too heavily ... some experimentation would probably be in order.

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
Doctor Z-kun
Officer

Tinkering Toymaker

« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2009, 07:08:38 pm »

The only problem with that is that the items placed on the ink-dyed parts could get stained from the excess ink since it probably wouldn't be easy to rinse.

If it cannot break out of its shell, the chick will die without ever being born.
We are the chick.
The world is our shell.
Smash the world's shell!
For the Revolution of the world!

~ Touga, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Professor Damien Tremens
Officer

« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2009, 03:52:19 am »

Got two sets of items to show off. First set is from a visit in LA, to the Northrup Grumman
electronics swap meet (sorta) and Apex on a Saturday. The other set is from my first visit to
the Canton First Monday marketplace in Texas, a hour away from my home in Dallas.

The electronics swap meet caused a minor fuss since both Thaddeus and I spotted the same
item at the same time. Since he was the one with the cash at hand, he got that specific item,
but we were able to track down another one on Ebay that ended up costing me $1.16 more
than his, including shipping.

May I present a 13" Bemis & Call combination adjustable monkey & pipe wrench:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I also picked up a rotary switch:
And an old air nozzle that is already at work, so no pics.

Next, after a quick stop off for lunch, we proceeded to the wondrous lands of the Apex Electronics
warehouse and scrap yard. After oohing and aahing over the valves, tubes, and gauges up near the
front door, we gave the entire place a good walkthrough, marveling at the scrapalanches in various
places. Out in the back section near the airplane parts, I stumbled across this little glass dome:
A small spark of an idea hit, so I grabbed it and then proceeded to finish our initial reconnoiter of
the area. Once back inside, we searched the various aisles a bit more thoroughly, and I found these
bits:
Combining them together resulted in something like this:
The glass dome fits inside the gear assembly with about 1/4" to spare all around, and a small globe light
bulb fits inside the dome also with about 1/4" to spare. I plan to make a small lamp/nightlight where
the gear assembly will connect to a dimmer switch hidden inside the base of the light so that you
turn the light on and off by rotating the gear assembly around the dome. I also snagged a few tubes,
because they're just cool.

Next up is Canton. I only got a few things here, but not for a lack of things to buy. A small sampling of
the items are here: The two things I did pick up are a tin box of chalk:
and an old office stapler (it still works too!):

The item that got away (and I'm *still* kicking myself about it) was an old Royal typewriter for $25
that was fully working, just needed some TLC and a good cleaning.

Oh well, next time...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 04:21:39 am by Professor Damien Tremens » Logged

Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2009, 04:14:55 am »

FANTASTIC finds Professor! Love the gear-light idea, and that stapler just screams "Industrial Age" (you might want to that checked out Wink).

Also, how much were the Canton marketplace people asking for the toy steam engine?

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Professor Damien Tremens
Officer

« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2009, 04:18:49 am »

FANTASTIC finds Professor! Love the gear-light idea, and that stapler just screams "Industrial Age" (you might want to that checked out Wink).

Also, how much were the Canton marketplace people asking for the toy steam engine?

I knew someone was going to ask me that, and I believe it was priced around $75 or so.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2009, 04:38:02 am »

I found some goodies the last two days and if I'm really lucky (get out your prayer dolls and other such) on the morrow I will get me some more spiff.

Haven't got phots just yet and wouldn't want to spoil it all just yet anyway.

But I found a 'distressed copper' pillar candle holder, an elctric light that is made of something like five seperate aged brass parts all screwed together. I found a pair of little brass candle holders and several glass jars (yay more pickled freaks to make for my table at the convention in August).

That lamp was a completely awsome find, it cost all of a whopping $2.50. Worth at the very least five times that much (and that's coming from a guy who balks at spending more then seven dollars on food... per day).

Gotta get out the pliars and DISASSEMBLE (no disassemble, done sort of like the And then, no and then bit from Dude where's my car... why did that pop into my head? Oh right mad scientist mode kicking in, okey dokey.)

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2009, 05:21:41 am »

Professor

I have a stapler like that one somewhere - it has (If I recall correctly) a greenish crinkle finish paint on it.  Also, it had a sort of squared-oval cover for the top plate, yours seems to have gone missing, and you will want to put something there - perhaps a wooden handle sort of thing - to protect your hand when stapling.

Great finds!

Cheers

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2009, 11:56:50 am »

Professor Tremens that monkey wrench is a fine piece of tool. I keep an eye out for such beauties but so far no good.

Well done on your finds there sir.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Professor Damien Tremens
Officer

« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2009, 08:45:09 pm »

Professor Tremens that monkey wrench is a fine piece of tool. I keep an eye out for such beauties but so far no good.

Well done on your finds there sir.

There are several similar to that one available on Ebay as of a couple days ago. Do
a search for "antique wrench Call" or similar and see what you find.
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2009, 06:31:30 am »

The only problem with that is that the items placed on the ink-dyed parts could get stained from the excess ink since it probably wouldn't be easy to rinse.

True.

How about fabric paint? I don't know a lot about it, but I'm sure it dries more-or-less waterproof.
Kaljaia
Snr. Officer

« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2009, 07:29:53 pm »

I believe you're right about fabric paint- however it would leave a rubber texture, so I don't know if I'll do that. I'll probably just leave it as it is for now, or experiment with a light acrylic/water mix to see if I can warm up the yellow with some orange, and gradually work it towards red.
clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2009, 08:59:48 pm »

whatever you do with it its a lovely find

I am a freak in control not a control freak
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2009, 04:09:17 am »

Would you have a problem with just gluing the new velveteen over the old mustard stuff? A dab of superglue here and there, so to speak.

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day
Kaljaia
Snr. Officer

« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2009, 05:31:54 am »

Would you have a problem with just gluing the new velveteen over the old mustard stuff? A dab of superglue here and there, so to speak.

I thought about that, but would still have edges to contend with, and my previous forays into velvet cloth have resulted in red velvet fluff everywhere in my things. If I can take the box apart, then yeah, I'll probably try that- but if I can't get all the edges tucked under in a satisfactory manor, then I'll leave it yellow- better the yellow than crimson lint in my findings! Smiley
Camera Obscura
Officer

Latin: Camera = “room” - Obscura = “dark"

« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2009, 01:19:43 pm »

Professor, I have not been to Canton First Monday in years. Thinking about it brings back such memories. I grew up in Texas in a family of avid collectors so I knew it well in the "good old days". There I go showing my age, although I guess even young people have their own "good old days" they are just a lot closer to today than mine. I moved away from Texas in the 1960s but go back every year to visit. I have only been to First Monday a couple of times in the intervening 40+ years and found it much changed from the afore mentioned days. Then it was mostly vintage stuff as far as the eye could see with a bit of new junk mixed in...miles and miles of real antiques and real old stuff. The last time I went a few years ago the mix had changed to mostly brand new crafty stuff and "made in China" faux vintage. There were still some real old stuff mixed in, more than you would see in a lot of antique markets so still worth the trip.

Maybe on the next trip I will see if my family is up for a return visit.

----------------------------------------------------------------
“The illiterate of the future will be the person ignorant of the use of the camera as well as of the pen.”
      Maholy-Nagy, Vision in Motion, 1947
Ancient Tinkerer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2009, 12:03:40 am »

Not exactly flea market but from the Goodwill store I found this:

Some type of photographic flash unit? The only marking is Sunset.The fins fold out  very nicely. The wire is beyond help but with the discussions of making and iris i thought this was a nice anti-iris.

john

/edit I forgot this:

$5 new in box.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 12:09:45 am by Ancient Tinkerer » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2009, 01:39:59 am »

Not exactly flea market but from the Goodwill store I found this:

Some type of photographic flash unit? The only marking is Sunset.The fins fold out  very nicely. The wire is beyond help but with the discussions of making and iris i thought this was a nice anti-iris.

john

Mr. Tinkerer:

My father used to (and might still do) have one of those in a box somewhere. It is indeed a camera flash, of a type which used single-use flash bulbs. (In movies from the 1930s-1960s, and possibly even into the early 1970s, you might see newspaper photogs using a much larger version of this device.)

The glass bulbs were packed with (IIRC) magnesium wool, probably treated with a few other chemicals, which was ignited by an electric current from the dry-cell batteries housed in the grey plastic pedestal part of the unit. Triggering was accomplished simply by closing the circuit through the control cable. There were no batteries in the camera proper, and thus no risk of damaging the camera should the batteries run flat and begin to leak (a very present risk in the batteries of the day.)

You will notice either a button or a loop of spring-steel protruding from the top of the swivel-head, just behind the reflector and above the bulb socket. This button was used to eject the (now blazing-hot) spent bulb following an exposure.

I do hope that information is of use to you, or at least of interest.

Kind regards,

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax, Executive Director
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Ancient Tinkerer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2009, 02:02:05 am »

Thank you sir. You have described the unit in quite detail. It does indeed have a battery of it's own marked Mallory M504 15 Volts. The eject button is as you described. One thing I find interesting is that next to the battery is a removable capacitor with contacts like the battery. It it marked nichicon 130mfd 22.5wv.

I will see if I can coerce my obstinate Kodak to get some better close ups.
I imagine that the bulbs are unobtainium by now.

john
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2009, 03:56:02 am »

I had forgotten about the capacitor, which would be the key to driving sufficient current through the bulb to ignite the filament while the camera shutter was still open. A 15V battery might be able to light the bulb, but not before the shutter had closed and the subject had wandered off to do something else. Tongue
Dr Celsius
Snr. Officer

« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2009, 10:14:06 am »

Very nice find on the Nerf Vulcan for $5 too!

Dr Celsius
Ancient Tinkerer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2009, 02:28:38 pm »

Very nice find on the Nerf Vulcan for $5 too!

Dr Celsius

The little voices are whispering to fix it up right.

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/04/sweet_steampunk_nerf_rifle_on.php

One can not ignore the voices.

john
Lady Charis
Deck Hand

« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2009, 09:19:44 pm »

Some images of a valve I picked up at a local market (Tynemouth Station) one Sunday a few years ago.
(Beware - large images!)

Best wishes,
Charis.

And everything changes. 
And nothing is truly lost.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2009, 09:41:45 pm »

mmm, nice valve!

Smiley

Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2009, 10:23:58 pm »

Some images of a valve I picked up at a local market (Tynemouth Station) one Sunday a few years ago.
(Beware - large images!)

Best wishes,
Charis.

Quite the delightfull source of thermionic emission!

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: