The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2019, 01:20:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds  (Read 284836 times)
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2009, 11:02:44 am »

Three days in Adelaide and a chance to get back to the 'Antique Bazaar' in Strathalbyn...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Huzzah! - My first pair!

(They also have an amazing 1940's scientific device that looks like it creates sparks).

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2009, 12:05:15 pm »

Wonderful find! Those are known as a 'phoropter'., and are incredibly steamy Smiley

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
jringling
Time Traveler
United States United States

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2009, 03:20:06 pm »

Wonderful find! Those are known as a 'phoropter'., and are incredibly steamy Smiley
The wife and I spent most of Saturday at a consignment auction. We spent alittle money and brought home way TOO much stuff... Nothing too steampunk... the best finds were a copper soda/acid fire extinguisher, a 1930's singer sewing machine (electric), and three old toy rifles. I think the rifles will be donors for future photon rifles!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:34:06 pm by jringling » Logged

Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2009, 01:09:19 am »

Three days in Adelaide and a chance to get back to the 'Antique Bazaar' in Strathalbyn...
(They also have an amazing 1940's scientific device that looks like it creates sparks).

Oh, no you don't! Get back there and buy that sparky thing AT ONCE!  Grin

Hum, I wont be over that way visiting rellies until at least  September... And Strathalbyn is a bit out of the way when I'm just going to Robe...

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2009, 01:28:30 am »

Oh, no you don't! Get back there and buy that sparky thing AT ONCE!  Grin

Hum, I wont be over that way visiting rellies until at least  September... And Strathalbyn is a bit out of the way when I'm just going to Robe...

I am seriously considering sending my father in law back there to buy it and store it for me.
Mister_Cloak
Gunner

« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2009, 07:21:18 am »

Holy carp!  All the stuff I find a flea markets/antique stores are no where near as awesome as the stuff you all are hauling!  Lucky buggers you.  The only thing I ever saw worth buying was a very nice Victorian couch akin to this one only in a seafoam green velvet that looked like it had gotten wet at some point and had dark spots of something (mold/mildew/whoknowswhat) on it.  They wanted 2500 for it though which is a little (about 2450) out of my price range...
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2009, 09:43:26 pm »

A couple of pages back I mentioned metal halide globes, or rather, dead ones.

My friendly hydroponics chap saved this one for me, and promises to keep ahold of any more dead ones that come back to him:

(Photobucket seems to be rather arbitrary about the orientation of the pics; they were originally portrait!)

Basically they could be hollowed out, or small globes or LEDs added in for effect, or just connect a tesla coil (small) to the base and have plasma globe style tendrils coming off all the metal bits.

Just one note of caution - some of the metal halide globes contain a trace of mercury to get them going when switched on - mainly the sodium ones I believe. Check which one you have before opening them up!

I shall stockpile them over time for swaps if people are interested.
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2009, 10:20:32 pm »

Holy carp!  All the stuff I find a flea markets/antique stores are no where near as awesome as the stuff you all are hauling!  Lucky buggers you.  The only thing I ever saw worth buying was a very nice Victorian couch akin to this one only in a seafoam green velvet that looked like it had gotten wet at some point and had dark spots of something (mold/mildew/whoknowswhat) on it.  They wanted 2500 for it though which is a little (about 2450) out of my price range...

Same here!  I'm inclined to think it is largely a UK vs. US thing.  Most flea markets around here are little more than places to unload Beanie Babies, National Geographic collections, and questionably-obtained car stereos...

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
Hikaro Takayama
Zeppelin Admiral

In Pennsilfaanish Deitschland

« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2009, 11:50:40 pm »

A couple of pages back I mentioned metal halide globes, or rather, dead ones.

My friendly hydroponics chap saved this one for me, and promises to keep ahold of any more dead ones that come back to him:

I shall stockpile them over time for swaps if people are interested.

Oh, okay, I know what you're talking about now... We can get smaller versions of those at Lowes and Home Depot (we call them Halogen bulbs) and ones that size at the local electrical contractor's store....

Now all I need to do is find an ignition coil or a circuit for a small tesla coil so I can make a "plasma valve" Grin

"It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion.
It is by combustion of coal and boiling water that the engines acquire speed.
For protection, the eyes acquire goggles,
The goggles become a warning.
It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion."
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2009, 11:56:05 pm »

Same here!  I'm inclined to think it is largely a UK vs. US thing.  Most flea markets around here are little more than places to unload Beanie Babies, National Geographic collections, and questionably-obtained car stereos...

You have not experienced the awesome of the MIT Electronics Fleamarket http://w1mx.mit.edu/flea-at-mit

I can hardly wait till next month.

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2009, 03:17:01 am »

Oh, okay, I know what you're talking about now... We can get smaller versions of those at Lowes and Home Depot (we call them Halogen bulbs) and ones that size at the local electrical contractor's store....

Now all I need to do is find an ignition coil or a circuit for a small tesla coil so I can make a "plasma valve" Grin

Best of all with the dead ones is that they're free! People wander back to the hydroponics store with the dead ones in hand so that they get the correct replacement then leave the dead ones behind. Apparently some of them are the size of basketballs! I can't wait for them!

You have not experienced the awesome of the MIT Electronics Fleamarket http://w1mx.mit.edu/flea-at-mit

I can hardly wait till next month.

<Pauses to wipe drool off chin...>
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2009, 04:02:16 am »

... Apparently some of them are the size of basketballs! I can't wait for them!

When a cannabis farm a few houses up from my house got raided the other week, they were throwing numerous numbers of those bulbs in the bin lorry.  The police were not too impressed when I asked if I could have one...    Grin

Oh, and ALL the MH lamps contain mercury, they are mercury lamps that are doped with metal salts to change the light spectrum. So wear thick gloves, mask and do it out doors. Also be carefull when you break the outer envelope, it's under a strong vacuum. Wink

SS

[Server Prayer]
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2009, 05:35:19 am »

[When a cannabis farm a few houses up from my house got raided the other week, they were throwing numerous numbers of those bulbs in the bin lorry.  The police were not too impressed when I asked if I could have one...    Grin

Oh, and ALL the MH lamps contain mercury, they are mercury lamps that are doped with metal salts to change the light spectrum. So wear thick gloves, mask and do it out doors. Also be carefull when you break the outer envelope, it's under a strong vacuum. Wink

They should have been grateful that the globes were going to a good home. Or did they have 'evidence' requirements ?

Thanks for the note on all MH bulbs having mercury - I knew that the one I got did as it's a sodium globe, but I thought that some types didn't. I'm planning on keeping this one sealed and using it as a plasma globe.

Other ones may get opened and cleaned out with 20% sodium thiosulphate to remove the mercury.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2009, 06:59:27 am »

They should have been grateful that the globes were going to a good home. Or did they have 'evidence' requirements ?

Thanks for the note on all MH bulbs having mercury - I knew that the one I got did as it's a sodium globe, but I thought that some types didn't. I'm planning on keeping this one sealed and using it as a plasma globe.

Other ones may get opened and cleaned out with 20% sodium thiosulphate to remove the mercury.

Nah, no evidence - the lighting, trays, grow media etc, all got thrown into the bin lorry (aka garbage truck) and crushed with the trash compactor...  Healthy!  Undecided

No need to worry too much about the mercury content, the outer bulb is mostly a vacuum that keeps the heat within the arc tube (the smaller burned / blackened tube in the centre), this keeps up the efficiency of the lamp.  The Inner arc tube is where the mercury and dope salts (all of which are nasty) are located, avoid breaking this, and you won't have problems. There isn't a great deal of mercury, but you should avoid exposure as much as possible. Wink

Be carefull when using that bulb as a plasma ball, the metal supports will emit low levels of soft X-rays, and will slowly contaminate the gas over time. Also you will have to flood the vacuum vessel with Nitrogen, Argon, Helium or some other gas (will require about 5 PSI to work) in order for it to work fully as a plasma ball - otherwise you will just get a small glow from within the small arc tube. The vacuum will not generate any plasma streamers as there is no gas present to ionise into plasma (you will probably get a purple / UV glow however).

SS
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:02:19 am by Siliconous Skumins » Logged
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2009, 07:04:41 am »

Wow.

We need a whole new thread on 'things to do with funky light globes and vacuum tubes that doesn't involve blowing your head off'

I for one would like to be able to either safely power up a big old valve so it glows, or safely drill it out so I can insert LED's.
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2009, 11:10:34 pm »

Be carefull when using that bulb as a plasma ball, the metal supports will emit low levels of soft X-rays, and will slowly contaminate the gas over time. Also you will have to flood the vacuum vessel with Nitrogen, Argon, Helium or some other gas (will require about 5 PSI to work) in order for it to work fully as a plasma ball - otherwise you will just get a small glow from within the small arc tube. The vacuum will not generate any plasma streamers as there is no gas present to ionise into plasma (you will probably get a purple / UV glow however).

But I want the soft green glow of glass emitting x-rays, demnit!  Grin

Argon will be the go I think - a nice blue-white and it works up to atmospheric pressure and you can even have som slight impurities. makes it much easier to flush, fill and seal again without having to worry about leakage across the pressure differential to the outside world.

We need a whole new thread on 'things to do with funky light globes and vacuum tubes that doesn't involve blowing your head off'

I for one would like to be able to either safely power up a big old valve so it glows, or safely drill it out so I can insert LED's.

Blowing one's head off ? I think I need to know where you're getting your tubes from!  Cheesy

A globe will be easier to drill out than a valve, as there is more 'stuff' behind the pins on a valve, whereas the globe just has the two electrical contacts. Though I may be biased - I'm more sentimental about valves than globes!
Horse Brass
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2009, 03:04:59 am »

Ever see something at a market that you just have to have, even though you have no idea what you'll do with it?

Only cost me a dollar. The seller said that everyone who looked at his table had to pick it up and play with it. The candle holder unscrews too, so I can attach something else if I think of something.
The box was also only a few dollars.

I definitely support the idea of a thread on impressing people with your valves. Although I mostly just light them up the 'normal' way.

(Hmmm, I should hide the wires next time, and try for an Uncle Fester approach to lighting it up!)

"Not without my hat." - Scott Anger, The Dame was Loaded
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2009, 10:50:56 am »

Ever see something at a market that you just have to have, even though you have no idea what you'll do with it?

Only cost me a dollar. The seller said that everyone who looked at his table had to pick it up and play with it. The candle holder unscrews too, so I can attach something else if I think of something.
The box was also only a few dollars.

I definitely support the idea of a thread on impressing people with your valves. Although I mostly just light them up the 'normal' way.

(Hmmm, I should hide the wires next time, and try for an Uncle Fester approach to lighting it up!)

'Normal' way?

Please tell me where to put which wires on what posts on the valve and how much voltage and or amperage to apply to make them glow?
Horse Brass
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2009, 02:10:26 pm »

'Normal' way?

Please tell me where to put which wires on what posts on the valve and how much voltage and or amperage to apply to make them glow?

Well, it's one of those things where there are dozens of "standards" to choose from, plus all the ones that vary from the standard! So I'll go through how to work it out.

If you've found the right data sheet for your valve, somewhere near the start of it will be the numbers for the voltage and current for the heater or filament. You'll have to find a power source with the same voltage, +/- 10%, and equal or greater current. If you can't get the right voltage, you can get away with a bit under, the valve will just be dimmer and not as effective in a circuit. Go over and it'll burn out though. As for current, the valve will only pull as much as it needs, however, if the power supply can't supply enough then it may drop it's voltage, pop fuses, overheat, catch fire, etc. Further into the data sheet will be the pin diagram, which will have two pins marked for the heater. To just light it up, it won't matter which way around you connect it to the power supply, nor will it matter if you use AC or DC.

If yours is the FG105 you mentioned earlier, it's going to need a serious power supply. 5 volts and 10 amps! That's 50 watts, so it'll heat up like a mains light globe! The picture on page 3 of the data sheet shows the two pins you need to use, when you're looking at the base, the two marked "Heater Terminal". With that much power needed though, it might be better to hide a normal light globe or LED in it. On the other hand, a couple of them would probably make a good steampunk room heater.  Smiley

For comparison, the valve I was posing with uses 12 volts at 0.45 amps, which is about 5.5 watts. The other valves I play with for my radios and such are smaller and dimmer than that.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2009, 03:23:08 am »

Thanks Horse Brass!

So if I get another FG 105 I can use them as headlamps for my steamunk car (as long as I can generate the power required to run them).
DuskMoth
Swab

Malice in Wonderland

« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2009, 01:49:52 pm »

Flea markets are a smörgåsbord of tasty gears, springs and goggles... I only wish I had more of a chance to go to some- time is a cruel cruel vice!
I do, however, sport a vast goggle and gear envy of you at this present time!
Congratulations on becoming Grampy ^^ (That scares me... I'm 23 EEK!)

<a href="http://www.myspace.com/ficklemelodies">http://www.myspace.com/ficklemelodies</a>

Miss Anabelle Aether Lacewing a.k.a Dusk Moth - Rogue, Alchemist, Properties designer and adventurer extraordinare
Professor Damien Tremens
Officer

« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2009, 01:53:08 am »

Anyone going to be out at the Canton First Monday Flea market this upcoming weekend in Texas?

I'm planning on heading out, but would welcome a guide to the 100+ acres of potential
bits, bobs, thingies, whatchamacallits, thingamajigs, etc. I have just acquired a new stash
of parts from Apex and an electronics swap meet this past weekend, and need more parts
to properly slake my mad scientist tinkerings for the next few weeks...

Kaljaia
Snr. Officer

« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2009, 01:47:18 am »

Hey! I couldn't find the *found it at the flea market* thread, which I know is around somewhere, so I'll just post here instead.
I picked up this
lovely thing for comparable pennies at the local antique mall- while I don't own enough jewelry to fill a tenth of it, and I don't much like the mustard interior, it makes a great craft storage bin, and so much prettier than those clear plastic things you buy at craft shops.

The same trip brought me a little six-sided brass box, an incense-box I think-
- and a little ceramic horse! The box now holds my laundry quarters. Cheesy

Every good "Why" deserves a "Why Not?"
Doctor Z-kun
Officer

Tinkering Toymaker

« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2009, 04:58:12 pm »

Lovely finds! Perhaps you should replace/cover the yellow interior with red velveteen. I think it would be gorgeous with red. Or perhaps green.

Hee hee, I have a couple of similar tins that I rescued from my grandmother's estate sale.

If it cannot break out of its shell, the chick will die without ever being born.
We are the chick.
The world is our shell.
Smash the world's shell!
For the Revolution of the world!

~ Touga, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2009, 05:02:33 pm »

For no obvious reason I'd go for a blue interior. Just seems right to me.

Lovely boxes!

"Who would have guessed that behind the formidable brow of his, which appeared to be made of some kind of rook, there lay so strange a mixture of memories and thoughts?"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: