The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 28, 2020, 04:07:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metropolis(anime)  (Read 2067 times)
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« on: March 25, 2007, 08:28:17 am »

Has anyone seen the Anime Metropolis? It follows the same basic premise of the other Metropolis, but it's a lot different. I always thought it had a steam/diesel punk feel to it, especially the part when the robo-girl (forgot her name, dammit) interfaces with the old phone to contact the ziggurat.

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
Scott-ism
Gunner

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 08:31:55 am »

I love the anime Metropolis. I watch it regularly. 
I once saw a review for it where they called it "retro cyberpunk" which i personally think is a bit more apt in description than diesel punk (although it is always something that boils down to ones tastes and personal definitions of such terminology)
Oh and the girls name was Tima.

Ya know I think that I'm one of the only "ism's" allowed on this board.
Crow
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 09:26:05 am »

just because one guy coined the term desilpunk everything now flows into that......anyway complaints aside I love Metropolis, I first got it in a 2 dvd set when I got Cowboy Bebop Knockin' oh heavn's door, at the time I didn't think too much on it, but I checked it out and I immediatly fell in love, granted I didn't much like the style the characters were done in (same thing happend with Steamboy) but the story and backgrounds were amazing.

this reminds me I havn't seen the movie in a while, I think I'll rent it from where I work

"And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
- The Wasteland,T.S. Eliot
Tinker
Snr. Officer

Edisonade adventurer and maker of gadgets.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 10:03:03 am »

One of my favorites.  Lots of gears, robots, pretty robot girl, the occasional brain-breaking moment...

Plenty to like.

For the record, the moment my brain broke was when Rock sets off the nuke, everything goes slow-motion, and the band starts playing "I can't stop loving you" as the ziggurat explodes.

A.
Crow
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 10:04:52 am »

^ that's it! I now NEED to re-watch this movie, I forgot that happened!
Luminous Grey
Gunner
United States United States

The sky outside is...

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 02:38:39 am »

I forgot all about that movie. We have it, somewhere. I suppose it was sort of steampunk. I should probably rewatch it, since I was half-awake the only time I saw it.

I do remember that song playing though.

So I like to get high off the dust on the 170-year-old books in the library. What of it?
Proud Member of P.I.R.A.T.E.S.
Number09
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 05:48:59 am »

This movie has an awesome soundtrack.  Cool

As for the actual movie, I also watch it on a regular basis (either in dub or sub, depending on how lazy I feel and whether or not I have my contacts in).
Morluna
Officer

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 06:22:53 am »

I always wondered if this was an anime remake of the film, or if it were something completely different and just happened to go by the same name.

Laura Vaughn
Events Coordinator, Webmistress and Seamstress; Outland Armour

Laurilye Hutchinson - Explosives Technician and Bombadier; HMS Amaranth
Crow
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 06:35:47 am »

I do belive that this is the scene everone likes, and add me to the list, it's a perfect scene
[edit] WOW!... watching AMV's (anime music videos) is a hobby of mine, and I just ran across this video, and it's amazing! and it uses metropolis
[/edit]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 06:51:06 am by Crow » Logged
Morluna
Officer

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 07:55:55 am »

Oh wow. Now I REALLY want to see it.
Tinker
Snr. Officer

Edisonade adventurer and maker of gadgets.

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 08:43:36 am »

I always wondered if this was an anime remake of the film, or if it were something completely different and just happened to go by the same name.

I wouldn't exactly call it a remake.  It's a bit of a derivative work, but not in a bad way at all.

A.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: