The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 24, 2019, 05:35:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Midwestern Steampunk Role Call  (Read 34072 times)
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 03:01:42 am »

there is also the ravenwood festival of arsenic and gears. this jully 11 and 12. its a steampunk event build as steampunk, heavy on the punk. its in AR.

zombiecakes
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 03:16:28 am »

there is also the ravenwood festival of arsenic and gears. this jully 11 and 12. its a steampunk event build as steampunk, heavy on the punk. its in AR.

D: I want to go to that so bad, but it seems there's an age 18+ age restriction.  Being a minor is not so fun.
Maillemann
Officer

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 03:35:37 am »

...its in AR.

AR? I thought this was a thread about the Midwest! Wink
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Admiral

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 04:08:53 am »

hmm so Arkansas isn't midwestern aye... down here in southwest Missouri AR is part of the midwest however Wisconsin is up north... thus not part of it. all a matter of locational perspective. sorry it doesn't set well with you. maybe you should move further down south.
Maillemann
Officer

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 04:58:59 am »

hmm so Arkansas isn't midwestern aye... down here in southwest Missouri AR is part of the midwest however Wisconsin is up north... thus not part of it. all a matter of locational perspective. sorry it doesn't set well with you. maybe you should move further down south.

Certainly one's perspective may skew regional divisions, but never have I heard of or thought to consider Arkansas as part of the "Midwest". The US Census Bureau and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at the very least agree with me upon this, as well as numerous other agencies and services, who follow the (I believe) generally accepted definition of the Midwest as "A region of the north-central United States around the Great Lakes and the upper Mississippi Valley. It is generally considered to include Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska." Because of this and my own righteous and obstinate sentiments, Arkansas will, for myself at least, always remain firmly in "The South".

US Census Map: http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf
US Fish & Wildlife Midwest Division (serving Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, and Wisconsin): http://www.fws.gov/midwest/
CNN Midwest: http://www.cnn.com/LOCAL/midwest/

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 05:35:21 am by Maillemann » Logged
Magister
Zeppelin Captain

First Mate - The Brass Falcon Airship

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 05:55:21 am »

It's catching on. The local annual "goth prom" in Minneapolis had steam punk/neo-Victorian theme and there looks to be a couple groups doing air ship crews at CONvergence this summer.

Really? That sounds like a fair number of steampunks at CONvergence. Glad I'm already registered.  Grin

I've been trying to cultivate steampunk gatherings at my hometown convention, Demicon, but so far nobody seems interested.
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Admiral

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 05:59:11 am »

how odd. oh well. the part of ar this is taking place is is rather close so i add it to the term midwest. now granted down towards texas and thelike i would consider southern. then again i am close enough to the ks and ok boarders to be almost the south. i am within a short driving distance to ar as well. so i suppose im in that middler area of south and midwest. either way for some midwesterners the event is still close enough to make it to. thus my mention of it.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 12:40:41 pm »

Really? That sounds like a fair number of steampunks at CONvergence. Glad I'm already registered.  Grin

I've been trying to cultivate steampunk gatherings at my hometown convention, Demicon, but so far nobody seems interested.

There even seems to be a Steam Century Mystery LARP planned for CONvergence:
http://community.livejournal.com/steamfashion/568457.html

I think my crew from the HMA Todd will primarily be active Friday night since the girls want to dress "hot" in a modern sense for the Saturday night dance.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:55:28 pm by groomporter » Logged

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
Strange-Sara
Snr. Officer

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2008, 02:16:23 pm »

I'm in Pittsburgh, which is close to Midwestern (too close it sometimes seems).

"From my heart & from my hand, why don't people understand, my intentions...Weird Science."
digitalboredom
Officer

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2008, 04:10:41 am »

North o' Chicagi hur.....yeah i don't know....

M.R. Sandrilious
 Overseer of the Institute for the Digitally Bored
   "Insert clever quotable here"
Anders
Snr. Officer

Obtainer of Rare Antiquities

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2008, 04:18:33 am »

You betcha!

...er, Minnesota.
CyberStormAlpha
Snr. Officer

Aerographer Extrodinaire

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2008, 04:24:09 am »

Emporia, Kansas here.  I do make frequent trips to KC, Wichita, Topeka, and the remaining area held within...

Captain said to big old John Henry,
That old drill keeps a-coming around.
Take that steam drill out and start it on that job
Let it whop, let it whop that steel on down
Let it whop, let it whop that steel on down.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2008, 04:48:12 am »

It's catching on. The local annual "goth prom" in Minneapolis had steam punk/neo-Victorian theme and there looks to be a couple groups doing air ship crews at CONvergence this summer.

The crew of the HMA Todd is planning to gather on the north veranda (outside the coffee shop on the first floor of the north tower) for brandy and cigars on Friday night.
AlasdairBuckminster
Deck Hand

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 05:57:33 am »

Greetings from Kansas City, MO. Rather new around these parts.

Warm Regards,

Alasdair Kensington Buckminster the Third
Magister
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 09:08:52 am »

The crew of the HMA Todd is planning to gather on the north veranda (outside the coffee shop on the first floor of the north tower) for brandy and cigars on Friday night.

Excellent! I shall look forward to meeting some of my fellow midwesterners.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 02:48:03 pm »

The crew of the Todd will all be wearing little pins with the crossed straight razors as seen in my profile pic  Grin
Madboy Soli
Deck Hand

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2008, 12:59:26 am »

Madboy Soli from Iowa, g'day all.

HHAHAHA! BOOM!....heh...heh....
Magister
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2008, 11:17:04 pm »

The crew of the Todd will all be wearing little pins with the crossed straight razors as seen in my profile pic  Grin

Well damn, I wish I had seen that post before I left. With the larp running, I never found you guys in the steampunk crowd. I think I met one of your engineers in the dealer's room though.

As a treat, I did get to meet a couple of other forum members who were unaware that anyone else from Brass Goggles would be at CONvergence. Unfortunately I've forgotten their names, so if you're reading this please speak up.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2008, 12:07:26 am »

My wife and I weren't that "steamy", but were more just kilted and Victorian
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/CONvergence2008/P1010025.jpg
We didn't get holsters done in time so we couldn't carry our guns. The rules of the event require that even non-realistic weapons must be peace-tied and fastened to your body in some way if possible.

O.Z. Diggs
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2008, 05:52:44 pm »

For those in Chicagoland, a group has formed on facebook (migrated from MeetUp) called "The Society for Chicago Steampunk".
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2008, 06:01:18 pm »

I live and work in Chicago.

Thanks for pointing out the facebook group, O.Z. Diggs. I think I'll go join (not that I check my FB enough to be useful).

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Magister
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2008, 10:53:07 pm »

My wife and I weren't that "steamy", but were more just kilted and Victorian
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/CONvergence2008/P1010025.jpg
We didn't get holsters done in time so we couldn't carry our guns. The rules of the event require that even non-realistic weapons must be peace-tied and fastened to your body in some way if possible.

Those are some very nice outfits. I'm sorry I missed you guys. It's a shame about the guns too. CONvergence makes their rules a bit on the excessive side, but I suppose they have some reason.

Next year, we should really try to get the word out and do a proper CONvergence meet up, and see how many Brass Goggles members we can get to show up. I think that because there wasn't a separate CONvergence thread all of this discussion was overlooked by many midwest members.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 11:17:55 pm »

At this point we're planning on being back as a crew, and it sounds like the HMA Badger from Wisconsin (the people who ran the LARP) is planning on coming back. We just need to make sure we distinguish it from the Convergence event that happens out west.
Cameo
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2008, 04:15:08 am »

I didn't catch anyone from the Todd either! But my oh my, steampunk was certainly abounding at Convergence this year, wasn't it? Tophats every which way!

I was the one going around in the all-denim Edwardian gown. I expect most everyone there saw me. Between the tophat and the heels I was hard to miss. I cant wit for more people to start posting pictures...I somehow managed to wear my steampunk attire for parts of 3 days, and never got even one picture of it.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2008, 04:27:37 am »

I was the one going around in the all-denim Edwardian gown.
[/quote
Some of the girls  from the Todd saw you and said they wished they could fit it as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: