The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 29, 2020, 06:24:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Collective Thread for All Them Guns  (Read 687692 times)
Capt. Stockings
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #3650 on: March 24, 2011, 04:37:09 pm »

This is originally my Vampire Hunting Gun Kit but after some thought, the 1851 Colt Navy Revolvers will fit perfect for my Steampunk Kit.

The reason they fit so well? They are cologne bottles and the handle is glass that used to be full of cologne. Which can now be explained as being a specially made gas canister that allows the pistol to fire gas propelled projectiles.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also have a way to made more lead bullets that would have been used in that era, though I beleive mine are .50 and the 1851 fired .36.

Why don't you save one of the pistols for shooting holy water?

Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #3651 on: March 24, 2011, 07:36:46 pm »

This is originally my Vampire Hunting Gun Kit but after some thought, the 1851 Colt Navy Revolvers will fit perfect for my Steampunk Kit.

The reason they fit so well? They are cologne bottles and the handle is glass that used to be full of cologne. Which can now be explained as being a specially made gas canister that allows the pistol to fire gas propelled projectiles.

I also have a way to made more lead bullets that would have been used in that era, though I beleive mine are .50 and the 1851 fired .36.

Why don't you save one of the pistols for shooting holy water?

hmm thats not a bad idea!

Guyver
Zeppelin Captain

If you need me, I'll be in the lab.

« Reply #3652 on: March 25, 2011, 05:05:07 am »

Agreed MagnaRyu - I've been eyeing off one of those airsoft "muskets" for a while but sadly we are precluded from importing such dangerous items here in the land of Oz. :'(  They have more than a hint of Bladerunner about them.  Very nice!

What I have recently laid eyes on down under is the Nerf Barrel-break which is by far the most 'period' looking nerf around.

Toys-r-us are advertising a nerf sale so I think i may have a shot at steaming one up sometime soon.

PS - thanks for the tips on lanyards! - I got some great cast iron curtain rings and will attempt to drill a nut this week - I'll post next creation soon
cheers

I was just looking in the threads to see if anyone had done a repaint on this yet. Nothing so far so I will post mine. Hope you enjoy.

"If I get kicked out of con for shooting a NERF gun I'm stabbing someone with a toaster!"
Hail Bedlam.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #3653 on: March 25, 2011, 05:30:10 am »

Agreed MagnaRyu - I've been eyeing off one of those airsoft "muskets" for a while but sadly we are precluded from importing such dangerous items here in the land of Oz. :'(  They have more than a hint of Bladerunner about them.  Very nice!

What I have recently laid eyes on down under is the Nerf Barrel-break which is by far the most 'period' looking nerf around.

Toys-r-us are advertising a nerf sale so I think i may have a shot at steaming one up sometime soon.

PS - thanks for the tips on lanyards! - I got some great cast iron curtain rings and will attempt to drill a nut this week - I'll post next creation soon
cheers

I was just looking in the threads to see if anyone had done a repaint on this yet. Nothing so far so I will post mine. Hope you enjoy.

Love your work - most realistic looking.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Guyver
Zeppelin Captain

If you need me, I'll be in the lab.

« Reply #3654 on: March 25, 2011, 06:16:23 am »

Thank you sir. I admire your work as well.
elvisroe
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #3655 on: March 25, 2011, 07:46:45 am »

cheers

Nice job Guyver!
They certainly come up well with a paint job...particularly one as nice as that exhibited!
Sadly I missed out on them - apart from the first one I saw in Toys-r-us I've not seen another here in Oz.  I guess most kids prefer the new battery semi-autos.  Not nearly so classy of course!

Maduncle, that weta comp looks interesting - best part is if you come up with something you're happy with, you've already won!

My latest, half built project is a blunderbus that fires silly string - has anyone worked with this sort of 'ammunition' before?

Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #3656 on: March 25, 2011, 08:01:51 am »

My latest, half built project is a blunderbus that fires silly string - has anyone worked with this sort of 'ammunition' before?

Yes, keep it away from birthday cakes and people lighting up their ciggies.

Seriously.

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #3657 on: March 25, 2011, 01:07:37 pm »

Seriously.

They still make silly string???

I do like the idea of a blunderbuss silly string launcher...
elvisroe
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #3658 on: March 25, 2011, 02:04:28 pm »

Seriously.

They still make silly string???

I do like the idea of a blunderbuss silly string launcher...

I just picked up a few cans of "Non-flamable Silly String" launcher from my local $2 store - still not keen to launch it near a naked flame!  I'm using the concept but making something a little more solid and steamy!

I also like the Kid designs version that the US military is using to disable IADs.  It's got some steamy potential!

Certainly makes for an interesting projectile!  I do a bit of face-painting at friends and family's childrens birthday parties and reckon a silly string blunderbus would go well with the charactor I'm developing.  I'm also thinking the pnumatic nerf blaster I have in mind could be converted to launch a bit of confetti.

quickordead
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3659 on: March 25, 2011, 11:01:14 pm »

Good evening to all. I've got a picture of the Raygun I'm working on in another thread but I though I'd put it in the right place.
I've still got a lot of work to do on it, some more brass components, fitting the battery in the grip and more electronics and then staining and lacquering but this is the overall look. So far bending the rods and cutting the brass tubes at the front in half and fitting has been the hardest part. Also all visible fixings will be changed to a more traditional type.
All the rods and the focus beam at the end will all light on the trigger pull when it's finished.

This is the etched grip inlay that will cover the battery housing, I'll be etching the other side later.

Thanks for looking.

Regards

QOD
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:59:32 am by quickordead » Logged
Artfagdirtbug
Officer

« Reply #3660 on: March 25, 2011, 11:19:26 pm »

Good evening to all. I've got a picture of the Raygun I'm working on in another thread but I though I'd put it in the right place.
I've still got a lot of work to do on it, some more brass components, fitting the battery in the grip and more electronics and then staining and lacquering but this is the overall look. So far bending the rods and cutting the brass tubes at the front in half and fitting has been the hardest part. Also all visible fixings will be changed to a more traditional type.
All the rods and the focus beam at the end will all light on the trigger pull when it's finished.

This is the etched grip inlay that will cover the battery housing.

Thanks for looking.

Regards

QOD

Excellent work. Zero criticism here. Is that a modified light bulb in there? Also, what is the ghostly twisting "worm" made of? Looks great all around.
quickordead
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3661 on: March 25, 2011, 11:34:54 pm »

The rods are clear acrylic bent to shape. The central part is a test tube cut down to length with an acrylic rod scored on the lathe and then spiraled to shape using a hot air gun. The other spiral is twisted copper wire. It's lit by an led behind the rod. When finished it will have leds behind all the rods to illuminate them.

QOD
Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #3662 on: March 26, 2011, 01:55:15 am »

cheers

That is simply awesome!!!!!

Thanks for looking.

Regards

QOD

HOLY HELL THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #3663 on: March 26, 2011, 06:32:02 am »

Thanks for looking.

Regards

QOD

Well - there's the GOTY (Gun Of The Year) already!

Superb work - well though out design, unique style, clever use of acrylic, masterful execution and materials handling!
Capt Mannfred Eckermann
Officer
Australia Australia

Keeping a weather eye

« Reply #3664 on: March 26, 2011, 12:38:06 pm »

Please let be begin with the comment quickordead has done a magnificent job!  I am awestruck.
I have the beginnings of a raygun in the workshop but so far have only propped a Maverick... yes I can hear the shudders from all you Nerf haters but nonetheless this is my first Steampunk gun effort.

Any air pirates may note the RDC and quake with appropriate angst.

Respectfully
Eckermann
Capt. Marines
RDC
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:08:47 pm by Capt Mannfred Eckermann » Logged

For Queen and Country
Capt. Mannfred Eckermann, Marines
RDC
quickordead
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3665 on: March 27, 2011, 12:43:09 am »

Good job Capt. I love the holster, that's on my list to do, I've got to work out how to fit this in one first.

Well I completed the electronics today. I drilled out the grip and slid the battery in, the standard 9v battery cap just pushes on top. I used a 150ohm resistor for each led and wired them in parallel. The micro switch was put in line on the positive wire form the battery. It has an arm with a roller on the end and this was fixed behind the trigger arm which in turn is sprung to give pressure and return.

Me holding it gives some idea of scale aswell.

Close-up of culmination rods.

Thanks again for looking.

QOD
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #3666 on: March 27, 2011, 12:56:33 am »

I said it before but it bears repeating:

WOW!..just....I'm speechless..W Shocked W....

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #3667 on: March 27, 2011, 01:02:29 am »

Please let be begin with the comment quickordead has done a magnificent job!  I am awestruck.
I have the beginnings of a raygun in the workshop but so far have only propped a Maverick... yes I can hear the shudders from all you Nerf haters but nonetheless this is my first Steampunk gun effort.

Any air pirates may note the RDC and quake with appropriate angst.

Respectfully
Eckermann
Capt. Marines
RDC

Very Nice Captain! I like the gun.

Not sure why so much Hostility is aimed at Nerf modders. I think a redone Nerf Gun looks great!

Good job Capt. I love the holster, that's on my list to do, I've got to work out how to fit this in one first.

Well I completed the electronics today. I drilled out the grip and slid the battery in, the standard 9v battery cap just pushes on top. I used a 150ohm resistor for each led and wired them in parallel. The micro switch was put in line on the positive wire form the battery. It has an arm with a roller on the end and this was fixed behind the trigger arm which in turn is sprung to give pressure and return.

QOD

DAMN dude........That just looks absolutely amazing! You deserve all respect you are given holding that gun!
Capt Mannfred Eckermann
Officer
Australia Australia

Keeping a weather eye

« Reply #3668 on: March 27, 2011, 06:48:41 am »

quickordead, magnificent is such a paltry term for such a piece of engineering excellence.

You have my highest admiration.

Eckermann
Capt. Marines
RDC
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #3669 on: March 27, 2011, 11:10:52 am »

QOD

Just gets better and better. I look forward to seeing the grip stained.
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #3670 on: March 27, 2011, 02:19:49 pm »

Another  Astrogator for your perusal.

This time a Mk11.

Still a work in progress.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #3671 on: March 27, 2011, 10:54:06 pm »

Another  Astrogator for your perusal.

This time a Mk11.

Still a work in progress.

Wow!

That is an amazing air cooling (?) system under the barrel - did you bend all that up?
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #3672 on: March 27, 2011, 11:39:46 pm »

Yes, yes I did.

But, as with much in this life, all is not quite what it seems.
The tubing is made from a flexible 'plastozote' type foam.
It's jolly useful stuff. cuts easily, glues well, takes paint nicely.
And is cheap when you buy it as a pack of 'Twistee Hair Rollers' from your local Poundshop.
The vertical line on the second tier up is where two lengths are joined together. I'm going to hide it with a totally superfluous riveted patch to make it look 'bashed about'. (I like 'bashed about'.)
I also like the....(?).... aspect of steampunk doodads. Allows one the freedom to make up your own stories inside your head.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #3673 on: March 28, 2011, 03:56:52 am »

I also like the....(?).... aspect of steampunk doodads. Allows one the freedom to make up your own stories inside your head.

That Sir, is the chief reason I am here!
Musist
Gunner
Australia Australia

Bohemian

« Reply #3674 on: March 28, 2011, 05:40:54 pm »

Love the look of the perspex rod, I just got given a length for my WIP musical instrument, which is starting to look more like a raygun every day, now I have a better idea of how it looks... Er...Brilliant...

Congratulations on your patience bending them all to the same curves, I think I would fill a swear box trying that. Roll Eyes

QOD

Elphinn H. Steelvolte

The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be.
Ambroise-Paul-Toussaint-Jules Valéry
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: