The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 29, 2020, 05:54:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 148 149 150   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Collective Thread for All Them Guns  (Read 687690 times)
Dr. Roger
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #3550 on: February 01, 2011, 12:34:42 am »

Artistic licence.

Which is what anyone who wishes to play the Trombone should be required to apply for.

And denied.

Hey. I play the Trombone....played the trombone. havent picked her up in a couple years though. Good for shooting jelly beans at the teacher. But then a good cleaning afterword. Cheesy

Just because we are pirates does not mean we lack manners, we simply choose when and where to use them.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #3551 on: February 01, 2011, 09:53:34 am »

Last weekend I saw a Nerf Maverick and one of those N-strike rifles at a toystore. They really and I mean REALLY look plastic! You would need some serious alteration to turn it into a worthy steampunk gun. Eaven than, the rotating bullet holder thingy (don't know the technical term) is so distinctive, you almost have to dismantle, reshape and put it all together again in order to un-Nerf the gun. For about 17 euro's I was tempted to buy one, but the modifications that had to be done, were so big, I discided not to.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #3552 on: February 01, 2011, 10:25:42 am »

Last weekend I saw a Nerf Maverick and one of those N-strike rifles at a toystore. They really and I mean REALLY look plastic! You would need some serious alteration to turn it into a worthy steampunk gun. Eaven than, the rotating bullet holder thingy (don't know the technical term) is so distinctive, you almost have to dismantle, reshape and put it all together again in order to un-Nerf the gun. For about 17 euro's I was tempted to buy one, but the modifications that had to be done, were so big, I discided not to.

I can think of only a handful good Maverick mods, and all of those mods entailed serious cutting and altering of the gun, plus an ace paintjob. Starting from scratch would be quicker, cheaper and easier. Of that, I have no doubt. More satisfying also: it would look super-distinctive, and if you're spending that much time, money and effort on a project; why would you want it to contain any plastic at all??
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #3553 on: February 01, 2011, 10:31:53 am »

I can think of only a handful good Maverick mods, and all of those mods entailed serious cutting and altering of the gun, plus an ace paintjob. Starting from scratch would be quicker, cheaper and easier. Of that, I have no doubt. More satisfying also: it would look super-distinctive, and if you're spending that much time, money and effort on a project; why would you want it to contain any plastic at all??

If I would have to steampunk a nerf gun, I would take it apart and remake every component out of brass and wood. From a distance it would look like just another painted nerf, but when you look closer...  Shocked
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #3554 on: February 01, 2011, 10:44:19 am »

Reverse nerf modding.. Grin
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #3555 on: February 01, 2011, 03:55:55 pm »

I've found a website dedicated to nerf modifications.
This thread is about steampunk:
http://nerfornothing.blogspot.com/2010/11/nerf-and-steampunk.html
Just a question. I can't quite figure out, but does the nerf maverick have a pressurised vessel and how is this charged? Do you have to hand pump somewhere on the gun?  Huh
Pek Skool
Deck Hand
Spain Spain

Gravatar

« Reply #3556 on: February 01, 2011, 04:41:01 pm »

Hi from Spain... Today it is my first day in this forum and I want to present my work and my blog. Thank you for your attention.

http://monsterfx.wordpress.com/

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:46:54 am by Pek Skool » Logged
Pek Skool
Deck Hand
Spain Spain

Gravatar

« Reply #3557 on: February 01, 2011, 04:45:53 pm »

a
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:48:22 am by Pek Skool » Logged
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3558 on: February 01, 2011, 05:07:27 pm »

Pek Skool,

Your blog looks good, I like the way you built the raygun and the parts you used.

You could work on embedding links though Wink  "Preview" is your friend
Tommy Light
Deck Hand

« Reply #3559 on: February 01, 2011, 06:11:09 pm »

If I would have to steampunk a nerf gun, I would take it apart and remake every component out of brass and wood. From a distance it would look like just another painted nerf, but when you look closer...  Shocked

I like steampunk modded Nerf due to my being a member of the Nerf community and I dislike when the only mods on a blaster are cosmetic. I am working on changing the pruning mechanism on the maverick and its brother the spectre to use the internals of one in another steampunk gun and am also working on a wrist mounted one for when a gentleman is caught unawares during a leasurely stroll. granted the designs are easily recognized but with a bit of dremeling and epoxy you can do great things with their looks.
Mr. Hatchett
Zeppelin Admiral

Unnaturalist

« Reply #3560 on: February 01, 2011, 06:22:36 pm »

Dr. S'Kool, that is, without doubt, the most fabulously overcomplicated confection of brass, wood and crystal yet posted.

I pray it is well guarded - heaven forbid it should fall into the wrong hands.

When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish.
Mr. Hatchett
Zeppelin Admiral

Unnaturalist

« Reply #3561 on: February 01, 2011, 06:27:58 pm »

Just a question. I can't quite figure out, but does the nerf maverick have a pressurised vessel and how is this charged? Do you have to hand pump somewhere on the gun? 

There's a piston behind and above the magazine drum.  You charge the toy by pulling back the cocking slide until the piston is caught, and when you squeeze the trigger a spring drives the piston forward, forcing air through a stem in the chamber.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #3562 on: February 02, 2011, 08:34:45 am »

Ah, I get it. I've also seen a video of a see thru maverick somewhere on "the tube of you". So there is no pressured vessel involved, just a piston filled with air, blowing into a a smaller diameter stem.
I've also started a thread about how to make a nerf gun from scratch.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,28962.msg632677.html#msg632677
I'm gathering information right now. If you have any suggestions, please post there.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #3563 on: February 02, 2011, 12:09:06 pm »

Hi from Spain... Today it is my first day in this forum and I want to present my work and my blog. Thank you for your attention.

Sir - your ray gun is a work of sheer ludicrous genius, I adore it!

And your lanterns should be hanging in La Sagrada Familia when it is completed.

yours in awe,

~ maduncle ~

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #3564 on: February 02, 2011, 02:34:24 pm »

Utterly amazing. My hat is off! Terrific skills you have there. Thank you for sharing - truly inspirational!

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #3565 on: February 02, 2011, 11:06:55 pm »

Yo no puedo decir... Dr. S'Kool, your works are magnificent!

Y su laboratorio!  Donde esta en Espana?  I am overwhelmed - the details, the organization... too much.

Milagroso.

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
phrawgg
Gunner

« Reply #3566 on: February 03, 2011, 08:20:48 am »

Thank you Phrawgg and that is a nice looking model, although a bit fragile looking for me ( I tend to go for stocky things without too much sticking out).  Is it your design and do you plan on creating a solid handle able version?

I picked the trumpet up for £10 in a charity shop.  It was a bit battered and the only notes it could play were QRSTUVWX, so that shows just how out of shape it was.  The barrels are the inside of the valves turned round.

I actually started it because I had the handle off a toy gun and didn't want to waste it Cheesy

Of course I now have the horn, some brass tubing, a couple of drain valves (potential triggers?) and the mouthpiece to use up ...... hmmmm let me see what else I have - a half a pine shelf, a couple of feet of pine 1 by 2, three brass candlesticks, part of a brass/copper wishing well ornament, a bit of a gong and a copper wine cooler, three eps napkin rings (well squares) and four brass ones (with fancy edges) - I see a sonic cannon in the offing (ok, it'll probably not use all those bits but whatever's left will be the next project - once I get some more bits and bobs)

Anyone got any ideas on what to do with an empty trumpet case Huh

That design isn't mine.   These are my designs:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phrawggmak/sets/72157625623796874/
I already have a thread discussing the evolution of this thing but I figured I'd just give it a brief nod here since you thought something else was mine.   The goal is to 3d render and then 3d print and CNC a real one out of aluminum, brass, and walnut.  Dunno if I want to do plastic or glass for the fuel jar.

edit: most of what I do tends to have less stuff hanging off of it as well.   The ray gun I'm designing is a departure from that but not by too much.  Too compact and it looks modern.  Too fragile-looking and it gets stupid.  And I don't think any steampunk gun should ever look completely safe to use. 

The thread for my evolving gun design is here:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,28311.0.html

Back to yours, you should consider taking scraps from other musical instruments, like the scrolls on violins, for instance.  Also wind instruments have all those lovely rods and hatches and valves on them.   You could have such a field day!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 08:26:44 am by phrawgg » Logged
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #3567 on: February 03, 2011, 03:38:49 pm »

Pek Skool, beautiful rifle, and snazzy chandeliers, too.  Grin

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
RedKing89
Gunner

« Reply #3568 on: February 03, 2011, 11:12:32 pm »

id just like to point out that gif from citizen kane is super creepy
ProperRocket
Gunner

« Reply #3569 on: February 04, 2011, 06:30:02 pm »

Here we go guys, my first steampunk prop (constructive criticism welcome).
You guys probably remember reading about the Victorian zombie infestation in school. Well this is one of the weapons that was designed to deal with that. The sights are removable and interchangeable because we all know that only the head shot counts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here it is with the alternative cross hair sight.

Do automatons dream of clock work sheep?
phrawgg
Gunner

« Reply #3570 on: February 04, 2011, 06:43:10 pm »

You guys probably remember reading about the Victorian zombie infestation in school. Well this is one of the weapons that was designed to deal with that. The sights are removable and interchangeable because we all know that only the head shot counts.

I approve.  'specially the choice of dial.
Vincent Langridge
Officer

« Reply #3571 on: February 04, 2011, 11:28:52 pm »

Very nice gun. I found it funny that as I read your post I just happened to be holding the same exact round part that you used in the sight in the first picture. Mine is destined to become goggles, however.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #3572 on: February 05, 2011, 11:04:26 am »

id just like to point out that gif from citizen kane is super creepy

An excellent combination of previously disparate parts into a coherent whole.

Which is what it is all about as afar as I am concerned.

Well done.
Lloyd Wondergue
Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #3573 on: February 05, 2011, 09:15:53 pm »

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16481.0.html

Finally, I have completed my first attempt to build a steampunk weapon ^^

(see http://thecoconutguy.deviantart.com/art/Tesla-Disintegrator-Blaster-196293779 for a larger picture)

THE ANACHRONISTIC TESLA DISINTREGATOR BLASTER No. 122
=====================================================

This blaster is an advancement in the field of high energy ray weapons. The amplifyed severety of the emitted ray is so powerful that a target trapped within the ray is burned to ashes in a mere second. This blaster can also be used to melt down steel plates up to 12 inches thick. The ray itself can be adjusted to radiate in a larger radius, but with losses in performance. A simple pressing of a button switches the ray from "death" to "stun", for those targets that need to be taken out alive for later questioning.

The blaster is powered by standard energy cells that can be attached quickly and easily to the blaster, decreasing reload-time.
It was commisioned by the British Secret Service in 1898, but the prototype was stolen and the plans offered for sale on the black market. Still, it is rarely seen in the New British Aetherial Territories, and if you do have the chance to see one eye-to-eye, here's hoping you are on the right side of the gun barrel.

MAKING OF
=========

Would love to hear your comments on this. ^^

Thanks!
- Florian

Miles (a sailor)Martin
Zeppelin Admiral

Just a head full of random thoughts

« Reply #3574 on: February 06, 2011, 02:16:41 am »

not to shabby... i like it .  given the constraints you were working under you have done a very credible job whith this device.   Miles (a sailor and old machinist) Martin
                  keep up the good work , I would love to see what you could do given a machine shop to work in with a bit of training onthe equipt..

Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 148 149 150   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: