The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 27, 2021, 08:12:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your poison?  (Read 54751 times)
Samuel
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Back for the memories

« on: April 28, 2008, 05:25:55 am »

What's the preferred alcoholic drink of you steampunks?

Absinthe seems popular, and i would imagine wine would be big, but  i'm an Irish Whiskey drinker personally. on the rocks,  never mix it.

how about you?

(and can anyone recommend a good Irish whiskey to me? Wink )

-Sam.
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 05:39:34 am »

Jameson's is something of a standard. Tullamore Dew has its definite charm.  I'm not a big ones for hard spirit when there's ale or stout Smiley

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
helga
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 06:23:57 am »

I like mead.
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 06:29:08 am »

I am a big fan of one of the Bushmills blends (not basic bushmills) called "Black Bush" - it's a bit spendier than Jameson or the basics, but it is a very smooth drink, and I prefer it over many single malts.

I also do quite like Absinthes. Especially french and swiss traditional styles (and doubly those with a little spice in them, like a certain viennese variant).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 06:30:44 am by rogue_designer » Logged

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
von Adler
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 06:53:27 am »

I really prefer ale/trappist beer or equivalent thereof these days. Innis & Gunn, Weihenstephaner (Kristall, Hefe makes me sneeze), Chimay, Brooklyn East India Pale Ale... I do occasionally take a sip of Laphroaig, Smokehead or Chateau Breuil VSOP calvados, though, but that's quite rare.
Dr. Mors
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 07:03:37 am »

I like absinthe, Irish whiskey and gin mostly.  I would drink absinthe all the time if it wasn't for the price.  For a good Irish whiskey my favorite is Tullamore Dew though I haven't tried a very large selection.

Ad Majorem Mors Gloriam
Doc Rivets
Officer
Australia Australia

Relative Density Tester

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 07:20:20 am »

12 year old scotch, Chivas preferably, over ice

Doc

"The law of gravity, may need to be repealed."
BaronPablo
Snr. Officer

Vapeurpunk ou Barbarie!

http://twitter.com/#!/Bar
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 07:26:44 am »

I am an indulgent in the fine drinks of wine, champagne and rum.

Mr. Saturday of Mr. Saturday & Sixpence, Gentlemen-For-Hire!
AetherFest, Texas' Oldest Steampunk Convention, Chairman
San Antonio Neo-Victorian Association, Chairman
MPsy
Snr. Officer

Capt. Wong Wei

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 08:30:35 am »

I'm more of a whiskey man myself but I also enjoy a good sake from time to time.

-Captain of the Dreadful Rumor-
"We're not lost!  We're on an adventure!"

Mad Calamity Photos
http://madcalamity.zenfolio.com/

Convention coverage, shorts, interviews, and vlogs!
http://www.youtube.com/user/youknowwhaaa
Jarod20
Snr. Officer

Is only a Rumour...

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 08:48:45 am »

I love me a gin and tonic with Tanguray Lime, makes me feel like I'm oppressing a nation

Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw
anachronism
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 09:16:19 am »

Absinthe sounds good. But the price is not acceptable. And getting good quality is not easier. So it's a question of where I am,  and whats the reason or the complete what's going on.  Just for simple enjoy the drink without any greater  things Absinthe or scotch are  a good choices. To dinner, if there is anything alcoholic, it would be beer. German or Czech beers are to prefer. Just before anyone is complaining: I just don't like any white or red whine. 
But the drink of ultimate choice is mead. 
Samuel
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Back for the memories

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 09:34:47 am »

I am a big fan of one of the Bushmills blends (not basic bushmills) called "Black Bush" - it's a bit spendier than Jameson or the basics, but it is a very smooth drink, and I prefer it over many single malts.

I also do quite like Absinthes. Especially french and swiss traditional styles (and doubly those with a little spice in them, like a certain viennese variant).

Haven't tried Black Bush, but hoping to get Bushmills' 10 year old soon. what say you?
I've a couple of czech absinthes...
juxtimon
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

i don't like cogs, gears, goggles or tesla

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 09:53:27 am »

i've always found absinthe and other herbal drinks (chartreuse, pernod, etc)  to taste a bit... erm... well, like medicine, bad medicine  Undecided

wild turkey goes down very well though, with a dash of lime (since thats the closest you can get to a whisky sour in most pubs here)

i put a <a href="http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=3505.0">head in a tank</a> and a <a href="http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=5309.0">toad in a box</a>, now i'm putting _____ into a ______
Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 09:54:39 am »

Haven't tried Black Bush, but hoping to get Bushmills' 10 year old soon. what say you?

I've been to the distillery (pipes and brass everywhere! as well as a rather attractive italian guide...) And i can say that anything from Bushmills is spiffing.
Mich
Officer

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 09:55:40 am »

I like absinthe too, and the best place I ever drank some was in a seedy little bar in the gothic area of Barcelona. Wink
Lily
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 09:55:57 am »

Vodka (Russian only) or sake.

Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.
Hieronimous Stonebender
Snr. Officer
Denmark Denmark

Architect of Fortune

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 10:08:51 am »

I'm a scotch drinker myself, partial to the Islay single malts. I really like 'em smokey and peaty. Currently in the bar is "The Ileach", "Oban", "Smokeshead", "Bowmore" and "Laphroaig". Nothing wrong with the Irish though, I tried Bushmills 16 yo a while back, and it is very pleasant indeed. I never mix, occasionally ice, but mostly just straight - no ice. If I ever drink for effect rather than taste, i go for Stoli, and to show off: Sambuca on fire(while in the mouth).

I do not drink a lot by the way, some of my bottles are over 5 years old. I just really enjoy it...
MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain

A tall mouse with huge cogs!

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 10:48:17 am »

I used to be a whiskey drinker like my father, but a state of over-indulgence at Lincoln castle has left me unable to smell the stuff. Now I find myself partial to flavoured Liqueurs and their uses in odd coloured concoctions.
NazT
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 12:47:05 pm »

I'll drink most stuff altho whisky is a fav (no rocks/water/tonic just raw!) but I find its more to do with how I feel as to what or which drink I like to drink.  So what I'm trying to say is that I dont have A favourite.
Doctor Trakov
Officer

Admiral of the 14th Belogravian Airship Navy

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 05:35:32 pm »

Poison?
Mercuric chloride, for sure.
Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 05:39:13 pm »

I guess my drink preference goes kinda like ...

Gin & Tonic
Absinthe
a good beer
Butterscotch schnapps

"Tie two birds together,
and although they have four wings,
they cannot fly."
Hyren von Henry
Snr. Officer

Yes Actually.

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 05:43:52 pm »

beer beer beer beer!  (Norfolk dark ale for preference) (the stuff Thwaites brew is good too)

but not that brown water the americana have, poor, uncivilized souls.

and partial to a bit of whiskey too.

Est. 1990
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 05:57:54 pm »

Poison?
Mercuric chloride, for sure.

Molecular acid! 
Never mind, I've seen too many Cameron vids. markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Brynjolfr
Officer

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 07:43:26 pm »

Port, homebrew'd mead on occasion; when out, anything with an umbrella, looks like mountain dew or has some unpronounceable fruit in it.
Thipp
Zeppelin Captain

Lord of the monkeys

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 08:45:06 pm »

I do love a glass of Macallan 18 year old scotch. Finest trip my mouth has ever gone on and I have managed to have the opportunity to drink it several times despite the price tag.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: