The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 08, 2019, 03:23:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melbourne/Victoria Meetup? **Swap meet still going ahead! Mutants be damned!**  (Read 134376 times)
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2008, 03:23:41 pm »

Wow... an antique and goodies warehouse! Lost for HOURS you say? That's what I like to hear/read!

Clothing is indeed a problem, however, I think the best I would try to do, is to just get as close as dressing steampunk-ish as possible (or whatever poses as steampunk to you).
I've actually unearthed a WAISTCOAT from the long untouched in my home... but it is quite a low one, but I think it could still look nice by adding or subtracting other articles of clothing and such.

I was meant to hunt around today... but I didn't say, I am going tomorrow! I shall go here, there and everywhere (as much as I can go, limited by time and cash of course!) and seek.
I shall report at once.

Signing off!

Soon I shall train a cat... to sit on my head... everyday
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2008, 01:56:25 am »

Okay okay - I shall find a waistcoat for the 24th to pin my brass gearwheel insignia to.

In Seymour for work today and there are a few ops shops here that might carry a good waistcoat or two - also, there is a 'steptoes' junk shop on the edge of town, pricey but sometimes worth it.

The Tyabb packing house is a great trip - if you can get past the knotty pine and doilies you can actually find some decent parts and costumery, last time I was in I spotted an old valve radio box stripped and empty, just begging for a contraption.

... as you were...

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2008, 09:09:49 am »

ahaha... my dad is not a steampunk, but he is an old grump, and i think he needs to dress up, lighten up, and have a mad crazy time. I think he might enjoy it.

I may have to omit that it's a meeting of steampunks till he sees you guys.... someone bring a camera <3
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2008, 09:07:44 am »

Well!
It appears there is interest, so it is seriously for 24th of August?
Cause there is less than 2 weeks til the 24th and I desire planning.

If so, where to?
If worse comes to worse, I will try to plan the day... but I do not know if I can give much time at this moment, in the past 3 days so far, I had 36 hours no sleep, then 16 hours sleep... it has not been pretty!

Rawr.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2008, 12:08:40 pm »

Children of the steam...

I plan to hit Camberwell market for around 8:30am after a quick Twinings to get the day started, with fellow steampunk enthusiast in tow. i shall be adorned in some way with a brass gear wheel badge, and probably under a dodgy fedora. I can be summoned on the day via 0448 324 309.

May I suggest that we allow ourselves time to peruse the market and slowly gather as a gaggle before moving on to the Camberwell antique market up the road? Then we can head into Melbourne for a spot of browsing and lunching. I will have transport for four with me, if anyone else intends to drive we may be able to get a road train assembled (unfortunately not steam powered) into Melbourne.

I understand budgets are tight so I am happy to chauffeur for the event.

...stand easy...
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2008, 04:57:43 pm »

Very generous of you maduncle!

Sorry for the disappearance folks, like our very own Lone Cat Charmer I have been heavy caught up with 'the real world' (and what a stressful place it is!).

So, with no word from the Prof, it seems like the 24th is the go ahead! I will most probably be at the market from 6am-ish (gotta get there early to get the bargains Wink), and I do think it would be a good idea if people just trickled in and met up until we were ready to move on, at about 11 or thereabouts (we can decide there). On the day I can be contacted on 0432553500, and feel free to call beforehand with any questions!

Also, dress however you like! Due to lack of suitable clothes (grrr), I doubt I will be terribly Steampunk, but I try my best Smiley I will of course have my brass wheel badge on!

ATTENTION FINE FOLK OF VICTORIA!. On the 18th of this fine month of August the Hard Rubbish collection starts (in my area, but they all center around the same couple of weeks). This is a fantastic time to get your hands on other people's 'trash' for free, all kinds of objects just lying around for the picking! So get in early, and find yourself some brass bits and leather bats, as well as the odd iron bot!

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2008, 12:13:56 pm »

Hoorah!
Sounding sweet my fellow steamy mates. As aforementioned, I may have to organise my own form of transport (hopefully bicycle, yarh!) to get to and fro from Camberwell to my destination of commitment and then back to the steam crew (who I expect will be in the CBD) after.

So perhaps count me out of that chauffeur offer maduncle, thankee very much though (knowing the expense of petrol today)

My contact details are as follows:
boomy_n64@hotmail.com

Now to obtain a brass wheel or something similar.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2008, 05:39:18 am »

I will most probably be at the market from 6am-ish

Is there a six in the morning?  Huh

Oh well - I had better make the effort to get there nice and early or 'someone' will have all the good goggles before the rest of us get there.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2008, 12:00:11 pm »

And furthermore...

I have made myself a steampunk badge tonight (one less watch in the parts box now).

See my blog www.austeampunk.blogspot.com for a picture of the badge - now you know what to look for on the 24th! Grin

Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2008, 02:50:56 pm »

That is fantastic maduncle!

And furthermore...it has reminded me to make mine, which I am currently doing!
alfa1
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2008, 06:05:47 am »

I'll add myself to the list of probable attendees for Camberwell Market.
Although you wont see me dressed in steampunk attire (perhaps a cog badge) it has been said on here that I do make steampunk objects, so a market search for more raw material and inspiration is always desirable.

http://www.brasswings.com/index.html

Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2008, 11:30:04 am »

ah, my dears, i fear this market agenda is too complex for me.
I'm 90% sure that i'll freak out on the day at the prospect of going many places and doing many things amongst an overwhelming crowd of people. unfortunately i am rather timid, and a bit of a recluse, although i am terribly excited at the prospect of meeting you all.

but if anyone fancies a communal sovereign hill trip (expensive) or a group meeting for a cup of tea somewhere close to a train station, I would love to meet you all. (you just scare the hell out of me :p nah, it's not you guys it's the crowds in melbourne that do me in. hooray for running away instead of battling fear.)
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2008, 01:41:27 am »

Do not fear M. Shaw, I often feel this way as well (hooray for social recluses!), but I think with all of us together as our own armoured guard, then anything is possible. We would all love for you to attend, however feel no pressure either way, as I am sure a trip to Sovereign Hill is awesome in anyone's book Smiley

alfa - I don't own any steampunk attire either, but my badge is coming along nicely I am pleased to say!

A bit of an update: I think we should meet in the middle of the market. There is a covered walkway through the middle, and if we can meet in the exact center of that walkway, then that would make things a lot easier, as it is very easy to lost one another in the market!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:49:53 am by Rowan of Rin » Logged
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2008, 12:49:08 pm »

A bit of an update: I think we should meet in the middle of the market. There is a covered walkway through the middle, and if we can meet in the exact center of that walkway, then that would make things a lot easier, as it is very easy to lost one another in the market!

Fellow steamtroopers...

If we are to gather in the middle on Sunday, what time shall the gathering commence? I say aim for 10:00am - that way we have time to wander prior to the troop formations.

Carry on regardless

...maduncle
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2008, 01:00:26 pm »

alfa - I don't own any steampunk attire either, but my badge is coming along nicely I am pleased to say!

Count me in! I also am a tad short on steamy attire... I'm also a wee bit short on cogs so won't even have a badge Sad I knew I should have grabbed some of those old watches last time I was at the markets! Perhaps I can make one on the day Cheesy

Dante Aetherson

"The only thing I am truly creative at is spelling!"
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2008, 12:11:22 am »

I've been holding out as long as I could, but I am just not going to have the time to get down to Melbourne this weekend.  Embarrassed

I will definitely keep an eye out for the next catch-up, and it it's early-ish October, even better (second weekend). In fact I'll probably pop down to Melbourne on that second weekend no matter what and see who is around.

Let me know if Wunderkammer have a stuffed owl!

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2008, 03:48:03 pm »

Tis a right shame Prof Sad However, as you rightly say there is no reason why we cannot have another meet-up soon after, perhaps of a different nature (focused on making things, clothes, gizmos, mods and what have you?). And as for Wunderkammer, it didn't appear to have a stuffed owl at cursory glance, however they did have a stuffed bear (if memory serves me right)!

Glad you are coming Dante, and I am sure we will manage to locate each other, even without a badge Smiley. If we have a definite meet-up time of 10am (though I might say that is a tad late for marketing activies, but of course this is totally up to you lot), and if anyone is there before ten and wants some company, my number once again is 0432553500.

I am getting awfully excited, can't wait to see you lot on Sunday! Also, feel free to bring someone if you feel they would be interested, the more the merrier and all that.. Smiley
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2008, 02:03:02 am »

steamy punky persons...

I too am looking forward to the gathering.

I am well chuffed that my goggles arrived from the UK this week (via eBay and they are just lovely!) so I shall be a fedora clad, badge touting, suitably goggled loud and proud steampunk engineer on Sunday.

By the by - anyone else seen the amazing rayguns at Weta workshop? I have now been inspired to build my own, so I will be on the prowl for old electric drills, hairdryers, etc - anything with a pistol grip to build onto!

...never mind...

The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2008, 08:11:03 am »

'never mind'? Nonsense, the Weta Workshop team create awesome stuff! If only I had that skill to be part of it...   Smiley

I too am very much excited, a packed Saturday will lead me to camp at a mates house and then riding to the market in the brisk chilly morning on my bicycle, highly anticipating!
Speaking of which, I will be getting to the market at 6.30am - 7am (If I wake up early enough) and Rowan, I believe you will be there at that time too...
And yes, swell idea, a contact number will be useful - 0431648835

I shall be trying to create an 'Asian Neo-Victorian Aristocrat/EGA' look... waistcoat, modern-ish coat, boots, etc and a gothic kitty plush on my head!... off the mark for sure, but the enthusiasm is there!

However... I must leave at 10am myself to catch a 10.11 train to go to my destination of commitment, but after 2 hours I will be back and hopefully seeking out the crew of steamers to rejoin!
So at 10am, I will meet, say Hi and then Bye...

Horse Brass
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2008, 08:14:01 pm »

Well, a burst of working 12 hours days has given me at least this weekend free. (It's also messed up my sleeping patterns, hence the 5am post!)

I have finished a badge. It's not amazingly steamy, but then neither am I. It should identify me quite well though.

10am should give me time to get my youngest up for Sunday school before I brave the wilds of Melbourne's rail system on a Sunday.

"Not without my hat." - Scott Anger, The Dame was Loaded
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2008, 10:39:24 am »

No badge for me Sad

However I shall be wearing an old grey military trench-coat, which has some rather fetching faux brass domed buttons. I anticipate I shall be there well before the agreed time.

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2008, 10:47:56 am »

Khaki dungarees, wooly jumper, scarf, brown faux leather jacket, green fedora with verdigre goggles perched on top, brass boutiniere and...

...a maniacal grin from ear to ear as I prowl the troves.

See you all tomorrow!

... tally ho!
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2008, 03:22:42 pm »

Boy I am excited! It seems I have been denied driving service, so I will attempt to ride from Oakleigh to Camberwell in the inky black pre-dawn, it should be an adventure in itself! I will arrive 6.30-ish, and will be wearing a big black jacket and a grey scarf, and most probably some goggles round my neck.
Whenever anyway get there, feel free to ring..
Now I bet be off to bed, as I need to wake up in 5 hours Smiley
See you fine folk soon!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2008, 09:36:25 am »

And a good day was had by all Lips sealed

I scored a few goodies (but someone got there early and bought that box of brass clock faces and mechanisms I tried to buy later!).

I got a small piece of luggage, a small imperial vernier caliper, a barometer (that stinks of tobacco smoke) and a 1938 copy of Popular Science (rocket ships!). The barometer has already given up its brass rim for my communicator.

'Twas great to meet (sir) Rowan of Rin and the Lone Charmer of Felines - my apologies for losing you in the fray but the good doctor (Who) called and I could not knock back a set of coming episodes.

So - who else made it and where did you all go?

...huzzah!
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2008, 10:34:38 am »

Well, that was a ton of fun! Great to meet you all, and realise you aren't so alone in this wide world!

I scored a variety of goodies, including (but not limited to) a brass tripod (awesome), a ton of old bottles, a crazy dangerous looking brass thingo, some sort of cool looking fuel line, and some more brassy bits and bobs. I already have plans for most of my purchases, but I am too bloody tired to do anything tonight, all that biking and walking and talking after only 3 hours sleep has left me pretty much dead Tongue

Maduncle, it was a shame to lose you to the good Doctor, but I understand how enticing his call is Smiley After we were separated, we trawled through the market a bit more, then headed off to get some lunch. After that we visited the HUGE antique shop near the station where I drooled over the awesome steam engine (if only I had the money...). Unfortunately Wunderkammer was closed, but we stared in the window and I did notice TWO STUFFED OWLS, hint hint Prof?!
Then we talked and walked and grabbed coffee multiple times, before heading home at about 5pm. All in all a fantastic day out, and I hope we can organise another meet up soon, perhaps one where we all gather for a 'making' session (bring your bits and bobs, and get help and advice in a good atmosphere is the plan). What do you lot say to that? We will probably have it in October so it can coincide with the Prof's journey to Melbourne, so that gives us a bit of time to plan it all out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: