The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2019, 03:19:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melbourne/Victoria Meetup? **Swap meet still going ahead! Mutants be damned!**  (Read 133799 times)
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2008, 06:50:39 am »

Prof, when will you find out for sure if you are coming down?

Hopefully in the next ten days or so - this month is looking both hectic and expensive, though the latter is all my fault!  Grin

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2008, 03:59:06 pm »

Prof, when will you find out for sure if you are coming down?

Hopefully in the next ten days or so - this month is looking both hectic and expensive, though the latter is all my fault!  Grin
A problem we all face Smiley Well, let us know when you know..
Did so say CAVING?!

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2008, 11:37:49 pm »

Did so say CAVING?!

Why are we whispering ?

16th and 17th at Wee Jasper if you can make it.  Grin

Another couple of trips in September and October planned.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2008, 01:35:34 am »

I would love to come, however it is at least an 8 hours trip to get up to Yass, and seeing as I am in the middle of a semester of uni, it could be tricky. However, I am desperate to break into caving, it has been a dream of mine for a very long  time, and I am exceptionally good at it, as I am skinnier than a pencil Smiley
I will see what is on in September and October, but November would be optimal (as I think I am finished for the semester by then).
Also, what do you know about cave diving...
malcolmr
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2008, 02:38:20 am »

Well, Sundays around the end of August are the 24th and the 31st, how does either of those dates sound? Keep in mind it doesn't have to be a Sunday, I was just suggesting that to coincide with he Camberwell market, but on second thoughts some other places of interest might be closed on a Sunday..

Would stray Sydney steampunks be welcome at this gathering? A little jaunt down south in late August might put my mind off the fact that I am missing Burning man.

Malcolm
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2008, 07:49:56 am »

Even Cthulhu himself would be welcome (to eat our souls)! The more the merrier I say!
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2008, 09:50:21 am »

Did so say CAVING?!
Hah! I heard that... if I can make it to any, am I allowed in? My last Uni days are in October I believe...

Soon I shall train a cat... to sit on my head... everyday
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2008, 01:41:59 am »

(Sorry this is taking the thread off-topic)

For caving, the main body is the Australian Speleological Federation, and they list a few Victorian clubs - I have caved with two of them over the years, the Victorian Speleological Association and the Caving Club of Victoria. Though that's only been a couple of trips to Buchan and Hamilton.

Cave diving is an interesting way to die.

Otherwise, if you are ever passing through Canberra, let me know and I'll get something organised around here for you.

I now return you to your regular programming.  Smiley
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2008, 04:42:45 am »

So...

We need a meeting place with interesting stores full of promising parts and costumes (all very cheap), a place for tea and scones and now good access to tiny dark holes deep underground! Sounds very Vernian with an attempted journey to the centre of the earth thrown in to the mix!

Whilst Melbourne is looking likely, given the transport restrictions of some tinkerers, I will provide a summary of Castlemaine as a steampunk destination after the weekends hunting trip.

Also - the Seymour Historical Railway runs special steam trains from Melbourne to country towns some weekends. They use some amazing old carriages all decked out with brass and leadlight (should see the 1906 State car, complete with rear open deck). A group day out could involve steam transportation (and the Victorian era costumes with goggles would not look out of place).

ta ta for now

...maduncle...

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2008, 04:01:55 pm »

Thank you for the info Prof, I will look into it, and I think I may join a club.

*Regular Programming Commencing*

SO; the only place I could foresee getting cheap parts around Melbourne is the markets, which are usually exclusively on a Sunday, and Camberwell is the best of the lot in that sense. Perhaps if we sart the day with a market trip, then go for some tea and cake to warm us up at the Hopetoun Tea Rooms:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now we are in the city, we can go for a bit of a circumambulation to wherever takes out fancy; the Carlton Gardens and Melbourne Museum (free!), check out Wunderkammer (very cool shop), or even search for the ever elusive waistcoat. The day is ours for taking!

So, what is the general consensus? Who is interesting in attending, and if you are, which date suites you better; 24th or the 31st of August? Or neither? Does anyone have suggestions for activities or interesting places to visit?

Maduncle: Castlemaine is sounding better and better! I had a look at the Seymour Historical Railway, but it seems to run very sporadically. I think I speak for us all when I say I must visit that Restorers Barn, however I think for the first meet, perhaps Melbourne city is more appropriate as it is more central (I am assuming) for the majority.

As daring as licking an Amazonian frog it may be, but cave diving looks amazing, and beautiful. I think I will live some of my life before I attempt it though Smiley

Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2008, 12:02:53 am »

...(chop)...

SO; the only place I could foresee getting cheap parts around Melbourne is the markets, which are usually exclusively on a Sunday, and Camberwell is the best of the lot in that sense. Perhaps if we sart the day with a market trip, then go for some tea and cake to warm us up at the Hopetoun Tea Rooms: ...(chop)...
Now we are in the city, we can go for a bit of a circumambulation to wherever takes out fancy; the Carlton Gardens and Melbourne Museum (free!), check out Wunderkammer (very cool shop), or even search for the ever elusive waistcoat. The day is ours for taking!

So, what is the general consensus? Who is interesting in attending, and if you are, which date suites you better; 24th or the 31st of August? Or neither? Does anyone have suggestions for activities or interesting places to visit?

...(chop)...

Either date suits me. Camberwell works well for me too. As to then going onto the city and exploring the wonders (or should I say wunders?) there, it sounds dashing!

For those who like visiting Camberwell - there is a rather large antiques dealer across from the railway station - it could consume the better part of a day by itself though! They have (or at least had) quite a few Victorian prints, magazines and gazettes which were rather interesting to look at, not to mention all the usual fair of collectable brick-a-brack, picnic sets, doctors bags etc. The market trumps it, though Smiley

Dante Aetherson

"The only thing I am truly creative at is spelling!"
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2008, 10:18:21 am »

Ah steam trains!
I believe there is train museum near Science Works (which is in Spotswood I believe, bout' 5km from Melbourne) that is definitely worth visiting (that place just thrilled the child heart in me) although I believe they are all very immobile...
Nothing wrong with that though, the only thing wrong may be the location, its a bit out of the way, though there might be something nearby that contains some form of program suitable for us. I cannot be certain.

We could also canter about the Royal Botanical Gardens! I love that place to bits.

24th or/and 31st is fine with me... but as they land on Sundays, I would have to take leave of the group for 2 hours starting from 11am... however, that would not stop me from seeking out the group posthaste after my obligatory 2 hour activity and spend the rest of the day with.
That means Camberwell market is still a certainty for me, since I believe it is best to get there before the sun rises?... (correct me?)
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2008, 01:23:39 pm »

I am in for August 24th if that is the chosen date as I wing my way to Adelaide for work on the 31st.

Starting the day at Camberwell market would be fun. And WunderKamer is fantastic - another source of old industrial/medical equipment is in Gertrude Street not far along from Deans Art - I forget the name of the place but it is a short walk from the museum.

Further out east there is the Wantirna trash and treasure market, usually cheap. See the link to find out more about Melbourne markets:

http://www.whitehat.com.au/Melbourne/Markets/MarketsM.asp

As for the Restorers Barn - stay tuned for a report after tomorrows expedition.

toodle pip

...maduncle...
Horse Brass
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2008, 03:08:16 pm »

Ah steam trains!
I believe there is train museum near Science Works (which is in Spotswood I believe, bout' 5km from Melbourne) that is definitely worth visiting (that place just thrilled the child heart in me) although I believe they are all very immobile...
Nothing wrong with that though, the only thing wrong may be the location, its a bit out of the way, though there might be something nearby that contains some form of program suitable for us. I cannot be certain.

That would be the museum in North Williamstown. http://www.railwaymuseum.org.au/
Oh, and if you ever go to Scienceworks, make sure you go right down the back to the pumping station. There are all sorts of remains of boilers and machinery from it's original days, and one restored steam engine from the old pumps. Once, I happened to be there as they turned it over with compressed air. There are 6 20 cent pieces balanced on moving parts of the engine, and it's so finely balanced, they don't fall over! The curator picked them up to prove they weren't glued in place.

There are steam locos in Castlemaine, the Victorian Goldfields Railway http://www.vgr.com.au/ runs steam trains between Maldon and Castlemaine. I wish I'd known about the Restorers Barn last weekend. After spending a day photographing double headed J classes on the VGR, I spent an hour wandering around Castlemaine awaiting my train back to Melbourne. I must have walked within a block of the place!

I may also turn up to a meet, I've always seemed to get to the Camberwell market just as it was closing in the past. Depends on a number of factors not entirely under my control, such as the state of my wife's health.

"Not without my hat." - Scott Anger, The Dame was Loaded
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2008, 04:22:29 pm »

Well, isn't this exciting! It seems we have a surplus of activities! It is very handy to have that antiques dealer just across the way, I think it definitely sounds worth a visit.

As for dates, it seems the 24th is the best suited at the moment so we can include maduncle, however there are still a lot of you out there who need to pipe up and tell me when you're available!

Horesbrass; I have indeed been down to the pumping station as a young child (I still am at heart Cheesy), and I remember being entranced by all the machinery, I would love to visit again. I hope you are able to attend, and I hope your wife gets better..
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2008, 12:51:59 am »

I'm up for it, but I'll admit melbourne geography confuses the hell out of me so I'd have to know where we're meeting up. also depending on when the train from Ballarat gets me in, unless i stay in melb. saturday night with my folks (which, if dawn markets are the go, seems to be a better idea.)

That, and I have nothing to wear T_T so many clothes i have and nothing quite right! so anywhere with steamy clothes is high up on my list of places to go <3 markets and op shops = <3

and... if my dad is willing can he come too? chances are there's no-one here around his age group, but he's pretty hip so...
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2008, 03:30:01 am »

Don't worry, I am completely lacking in steamy clothing as well. It is nigh impossible to find a decent waistcoat these days Roll Eyes Camberwell market has a huge clothing area, which I rarely look at actually, but I am sure there will be some goodies there, and I will also check out what op shops and the like there are around the areas we are visiting. Also, of course your dad can come, I love how wide the age range is with fellow steampunks Smiley
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2008, 06:23:13 am »

Exciting indeed! If it be the 24th, then, yes I shall I be there!
Might whip out the trusty bicycle and pedal my way to Camberwell market or something, nothing beats the fresh feeling of riding in the dark of the morn!

As for steamy clothing, there is a significant lack here too, the hunt for the (mystic golden) waistcoat continues.

Lt Lily: If you would like, I won't mind guiding you around the geopgraphical confusion that is Melbourne (or to the meeting location), just depends where you get off at Melbourne and what time... I just like guiding people to places if they are lost... don't know why  Cheesy
Though, I quite like being lost when I have time to be lost... its an adventure!

Horsebrass: Yes! That is the one! Thank you and I hope your wife gets better!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2008, 10:28:45 am »

Ah Castlemaine!

I spent a good two hours in the restorers Barn todayand returned laden with brass for my communicator project. See my blog for the full story with pictures.

www.austeampunk.blogspot.com

It was most satisfying to emerge from the car to the sound of a steam train whistle as it left the station - HOW APT.

As for the 24th - I am well chuffed that you have nominated the date I am most likely to attend, I shall have to make a special effort, and I think that Camberwell market is certainly the place to meet. Perhaps we can all identify by pinning a brass gearwheel to our attire (rather than a rose).

...carry on...
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2008, 10:43:57 am »

Marvellous stuff maduncle!
Very nice finds from that hunt, all those shelves upon shelves of goodies.
I should make a visit to that place! Imperative!

Truly I tell you, the brass gearwheel identification pin is a brilliant idea!
Heh
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2008, 12:40:47 pm »

Truly I tell you, the brass gearwheel identification pin is a brilliant idea!

Glad you like the identification idea 'charmer - only thing is...

... i never have the right gear to wear Grin

(oh that hurts)
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2008, 01:29:19 pm »

*Groan* I new you were a troublemaker!
However, I am willing to forgive you for risking your life exploring the dank depths of the..Restorers Barn! It does look quite the magical place Smiley
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2008, 02:32:30 am »

I shall try for the 24th - financially better for me but timewise not as likely as later on. Let me get passed the next weekend and I'll know for sure.

Perhaps we can all identify by pinning a brass gearwheel to our attire (rather than a rose).

...carry on...

Thinking something similar here. A brass boutonniere - a cog and wire equivalent to the formal carnation/rose/gardenia in the button hole. A little spray of cogs nodding in the breeze.  Cheesy

I am also going to make a wreath for the house for christmas, and just need a couple more copper elbow joints - my local Bunnings needs to restock. My first 100% steampunk stuff, instead of just having old high voltage and sciencey bits around the house. Yay!

Clothing is always a problem, though there's meant to be an antiques place out at Wamboin that has men's clothes. Next weekend, as we hunt for mythical 'historic Bywong' according to the signs on the highway. (Judging from the satellite pics on GMaps, there's nothing there...)
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2008, 02:08:04 pm »

been away for a while,
 any way,
down on the mornington peninusla (where im from) theres this place called the tyabb packing house, its a old old old...well packing house...any way, its HUGE i once got lost in there for several hours. its full of antiques and such and lots of other goodies. i once saw a really nice set of pilot goggles there, altho i think they where snapped up, you know how it is.

incognito you say? how can i burn the place down incognito?
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2008, 02:13:42 pm »

That sounds amazing Kuulith! Now I have to make a day trip to both Castlemaine and Mornington Peninsula!

Prof, I think that clothing is a problem for everyone. I have not found anywhere that has sold anything that wasn't amazingly expensive, or just plain horrible! However, if I frequent various op shops long enough, by the power of probability I must find something good Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: