The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 07, 2020, 10:51:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melbourne/Victoria Meetup? **Swap meet still going ahead! Mutants be damned!**  (Read 138415 times)
Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #375 on: January 22, 2009, 02:39:00 am »

I'm currently in discussions with a few live role players here in Victoria about creating a steampunk lrp, if anyone is interested.
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #376 on: January 22, 2009, 11:04:59 am »

well, if anyone is at Camberwell this sunday i'll see you there.
Although because of the heat, my heavy many-layered steampunk gear will be staying at home.

The boyfriend will be recognisable though. he's always a snappy dresser Smiley
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #377 on: January 24, 2009, 03:09:02 am »

I'm currently in discussions with a few live role players here in Victoria about creating a steampunk lrp, if anyone is interested.

I'm certainly curious about LARP, I had a look a while ago on a site (waves hand about in the ether), but I wasn't quite sure about all the various elements of it.

Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #378 on: January 24, 2009, 11:45:32 am »

checkout http://viclrp.org.au/viclrp/ and the forums for a bit about our lrp, don't ask why we don't have the a... it's a touchy subject for some Cheesy

You can check out videos or stuff on the net but most of the things you will find are the American style with boffer weapons and coloured tape etc. Our style is more like the uk with weapons that look more like what they are, and the rules are a bit better. Still haven't worked out what kind of steampunk game we will run, as there are two groups that intend on doing something, but have differing opinions. I think I'm going to stay out of the politics and just remain a neutral source of props and costuming. WHich leads me to my next topic,

Does anyone have or know of a double horse float for sale for under $500 in greater Melbourne? I have plans., steamy, steamy plans..
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #379 on: January 24, 2009, 01:26:13 pm »

I am very interested. I've been looking for a new larp group for a few months - I've had my end of year plans for larping dashed when I discovered the event was scrapped. Though that was a fantasy one...a steampunk one would be amazing! And I don't have to go to New Zealand!

You can check out videos or stuff on the net but most of the things you will find are the American style with boffer weapons and coloured tape etc. Our style is more like the uk with weapons that look more like what they are, and the rules are a bit better. Still haven't worked out what kind of steampunk game we will run, as there are two groups that intend on doing something, but have differing opinions. I think I'm going to stay out of the politics and just remain a neutral source of props and costuming.
Certainly it will be difficult to find an appropriate setting if the event proves to be popular. We can always dream of renting Sovereign Hill or something.
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #380 on: January 24, 2009, 03:40:53 pm »

I am very interested. I've been looking for a new larp group for a few months - I've had my end of year plans for larping dashed when I discovered the event was scrapped. Though that was a fantasy one...a steampunk one would be amazing! And I don't have to go to New Zealand!

You can check out videos or stuff on the net but most of the things you will find are the American style with boffer weapons and coloured tape etc. Our style is more like the uk with weapons that look more like what they are, and the rules are a bit better. Still haven't worked out what kind of steampunk game we will run, as there are two groups that intend on doing something, but have differing opinions. I think I'm going to stay out of the politics and just remain a neutral source of props and costuming.
Certainly it will be difficult to find an appropriate setting if the event proves to be popular. We can always dream of renting Sovereign Hill or something.

Or Kryal Castle while we're being extravagant.
Kryal Castle also fulfils it being very anachronistic...I mean who thought it was an idea to build a castle in country Victoria?
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #381 on: January 25, 2009, 02:33:27 am »

Still haven't worked out what kind of steampunk game we will run, as there are two groups that intend on doing something, but have differing opinions.

Vampires vs the Van Helsing Society?
Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #382 on: January 25, 2009, 10:25:52 am »

it's more a discussion of what we perceive steampunk to be. Flying contraptions and mechanized men, or plain victorian with supernatural critters. Locations aren't such a problem, there are a few old victorian locations around (it is after all.. Victoria!). But yes any and all woudl be welcome. I just want to get my horse float! the plan for it is seered into my brain :/
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #383 on: January 25, 2009, 10:53:00 am »

Okay...

Someone will need to explain 'larping' to this old man (PM me please).

Meanwhile - Fryerstown was [u]BRILLIANT[/u] Grin

I picked up a very old leather holster that is tailor made for my raygun (see my raygun post or blog for pics). And I got another mauve bottle, and we got two very old deckchairs, and we got old blue and white enamel ware.

It was huge, busy, dusty, full of stuff and just amazing. Thanks to Wildilocks for the tip off.

After Fryerstown I called in at the Restorers Barn in Castlemaine, picked up some 'ammo' for the ray gun and a great dohicky for my steampunk webcam project.

A great hunting trip on Saturday!

I will bring the ray gun to the next market meet up - anyone up for the 8th, or suggest another date in Feb?

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #384 on: January 25, 2009, 12:04:24 pm »

larp is live action role playing, it's dungeons and dragons, but instead of rolling dice at a table, you dress in costume and hit each other with foam weapons. Smiley
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #385 on: January 25, 2009, 03:23:43 pm »

As ever Wikipedia will come to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_action_role-playing_game.

I quite like the idea of theatre style LARP, rather than the umm...hitting each other with foam weapons.
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #386 on: January 26, 2009, 12:16:30 am »

I will bring the ray gun to the next market meet up - anyone up for the 8th, or suggest another date in Feb?

The boy and I will be there on the 8th.

he has plans to organise a camberwell market rummage followed by a picnic of sorts, i don't know the details, so if anyone would be interested, i'll find out what name he's signed himself up to here Smiley We'd both be absolutely delighted to finally meet some of you!

also, is anyone going to the Lake Goldsmith steam rally?

or... THIS? http://www.ballarat.com/antiquefair/index.htm
It's in ballarat, and it's marvellous. without fail. every year.

EDIT: oh, and at Camberwell, I picked up a railway pocket watch, mechanical, for 30 bucks, (it loses a little time) A leather satchel/book wallet for 8 bucks, and a gorgeous little alarm clock (it gains as much time as the pocket watch loses) for 5 bucks.
We saw oscilloscopes, and a defibrillator <3 as well as flying caps and amazing tool belts.
The boy picked himself up a really old glass hypodermic syringe in its case, and a travelling suitcase. As well as a dashing new hat <3
We had amazing fun, but I still wish I'd been able to make it to Fryerstown.
Next year, perhaps!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:24:45 am by Lt. Lily Shaw » Logged
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #387 on: January 26, 2009, 08:37:23 am »

Anyone up for the 8th, or suggest another date in Feb?

If the eighth is when I think it is, then I might have a prior engagement...not sure.

I quite like the idea of theatre style LARP, rather than the umm...hitting each other with foam weapons.
We could attach cheap lasers to our rayguns (if we don't have lasers on them yet) and devise a hit-point system with that, if foam bashing is unwanted. But that's going to rely a lot more on honesty.
Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #388 on: January 26, 2009, 09:28:36 am »

I'm also a part of an upcoming stargate lrp using he miles tag laser skirmish system, it's similar to that which the American army used to train with. The packs are small but the detail in the system makes them costly and thus I wouldn't want to use it for a steam lrp. Nerf weaponry would be better for firearms and that's what I'm looking into at the moment. As for foam weapons, that's just for melee combat, so sabres etc, and it's not mattress foam or pool tubes, here is an example of the kind of saber we play with,

We can do it more like stage plays, but this way is a lot more fun. Smiley

Also, nobody knows anyone selling a cheap double horse float? I have so many plans and they start out looking like this :x
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #389 on: January 26, 2009, 09:58:59 am »

Love the horse float concept Redmond, great interior ideas.

How about a bubble dome on the roof - or a perescope?
Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #390 on: January 26, 2009, 10:02:32 am »

I plan on adding a peephole hatch on top, as well as a smoke stack and some sort of gas cannister. The whoel thing will be brass (paint) with riveted steel around the outskirts to make it look as though it's like an old metal tank. I'm also thinking of having a gramophone horn on top connecting to a mouthpiece on the control panel as a sort of loudspeaker device. And there will be a back wall with a door and windows, and the two square windows will more likely be porthole in design (I just downloaded a model off gogglewebs for this pic). I've got a few other ideas of where to take it but ultimately it's a lrp camper van for 1. I will make a wip post of it when I've secured an actual float, which may be some time Sad
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #391 on: January 26, 2009, 01:28:55 pm »

What's a Goggleweb?
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #392 on: January 26, 2009, 10:48:25 pm »

Hmmmm. Maybe. That's a long weekend here in Canberra as well, but also my younger niece's 21st is that weekend.

I have to get down and see you all at some point, the sooner the better, but the 8th happens to be my anniversary, so it wont be that weekend!

On a related but non-buying note, the museum at Harden has the contents of the dentist/doctor/chemist's establishment from the 19teens (all the one person). Astounding bottles and glassware, a dentist's chair made in 1903 and the treadle-powered drill....  Shocked (Yes, we spent Australia Day driving in the country, with lunch in Cootamundra, and taking in all the cemetaries on the way - I have a few seeds to plant now!)

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #393 on: January 27, 2009, 12:44:00 am »

Hmmmm. Maybe. That's a long weekend here in Canberra as well, but also my younger niece's 21st is that weekend.

I have to get down and see you all at some point, the sooner the better, but the 8th happens to be my anniversary, so it wont be that weekend!

On a related but non-buying note, the museum at Harden has the contents of the dentist/doctor/chemist's establishment from the 19teens (all the one person). Astounding bottles and glassware, a dentist's chair made in 1903 and the treadle-powered drill....  Shocked (Yes, we spent Australia Day driving in the country, with lunch in Cootamundra, and taking in all the cemetaries on the way - I have a few seeds to plant now!)

ah <3 it was my 21st on the fryerstown trip, and my stepmum's 60th the day after that.

There seems to be no one single day when everyone's free to meet up
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #394 on: January 27, 2009, 08:05:44 am »

Thanks Lily - I have the Ballarat Antique Fair booked in for Saturday the 7th March.

In fact - I just got home from Ballarat, after lunch at the boat shed overlooking the fields of Wendouree.
Horse Brass
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #395 on: January 27, 2009, 12:57:27 pm »

That could become a really busy weekend for me. I was planning to go to the Scoresby steam rally. However, it has been a few years since I've been to Ballarat. (Last time I was there was during a steam train trip to Maryborough.) Decisions, decisions.  Grin

I like the horse float concept Redmund, it's a shame all my former horsey contacts have long since moved away.

"Not without my hat." - Scott Anger, The Dame was Loaded
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

The best kind of Fusion... is confusion!

« Reply #396 on: January 27, 2009, 02:36:00 pm »

Scoresby, gadzooks, i know that place! Shocked

the event sounds awesome!

Proper Smashing!
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #397 on: January 29, 2009, 12:09:19 am »

Blinking heck! I hope you lot are fairing well in the heat down there.  Embarrassed
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2009, 12:12:47 am »

Dying....had a power outage last night, so trying to sleep in 33 degrees is no fun at all Sad

Maduncle: keep up your good work, you are doing us all proud! I hope there is less work for you than I expect...fires tend to come at the most inconvenient times Embarrassed

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #399 on: January 29, 2009, 12:43:02 am »

Dying....had a power outage last night, so trying to sleep in 33 degrees is no fun at all Sad

Maduncle: keep up your good work, you are doing us all proud! I hope there is less work for you than I expect...fires tend to come at the most inconvenient times Embarrassed

These annoting little fires cut down on my tinkering time!

13 hour day yesterday - yesterday had a fire on Mt.Dissapointment just before knock off time so I hung back and did the maps until about 7pm.

Hopefully we get through today and tomorrow without to much work.

BTW - Well over 40 degrees here in Seymour.

Now - back to the thread.

I am all gee'd up for a get together on the 8th of Feb at the market (with boxed raygun for show and tell), any other takers???
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: